Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2017 12:36:33 PM EDT
Harrison Ford calls the tower immediately after he lands on the taxiway. Audio of the call at the link.

Harrison Ford calls the tower
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
he needs to hire pilots to fly his planes and relegate himself to flying 2nd seat...
hopefully his celebrity status won't cut any ice with the FAA
imo
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Oops
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
He's getting old...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
he needs to hire pilots to fly his planes and relegate himself to flying 2nd seat...
imo
View Quote
Regardless, he'd likely only be looking at remedial training at best and a 709 ride at the worst.

Landing on the wrong runway or even the taxiway isn't exactly an uncommon mistake, even with two pilot professional aircrews.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Regardless, he'd likely only be looking at remedial training at best and a 709 ride at the worst.

Landing on the wrong runway or even the taxiway isn't exactly an uncommon mistake, even with two pilot professional aircrews.
View Quote
I've seen airlines do it, military aircraft do it. People get lost all the time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
The FAA has to be this close to yanking his certificate.

I can't even think of a pilot that has fucked up as many times as he has.

ETA: man after listening to the audio I feel kinda bad for him. Calling the tower and knowing that your info is going to FSDO isn't a fun experience.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#8]
He's getting a little senile.   Happens to the best of us.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
imo

In the early 80s we had a JAL crew takeoff from ANC on a taxiway. It was a bit short and he remodeled some shit with the main gear but he got airborne and elected to fly home rather than getting fired in Alaska 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've seen airlines do it, military aircraft do it. People get lost all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going to say this and I am sure I'll get flamed for it.

He made a mistake, his eyes and brain were not on the same page.

But by him noticing the 737 and not hitting it, means he's still fit to fly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#11]
does the NASA "get out of jail free" form work for landing on a taxiway?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
You get one every five years. I'm pretty sure his close encounter with the 737 a while back burned him on that one.

Regardless he could take multiple violations and still keep his ticket.......but he has got to be close to losing it at this point. As others have mentioned, I see a 709 ride in his near future
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Ive flown with ATPs who have made a mistake, admit it and move on as long as you didn't hurt anyone or the plane.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If I recall correctly, the ASRS form only protects you from certificate action, but not from reexamination.  

Quoted:

ETA: man after listening to the audio I feel kinda bad for him. Calling the tower and knowing that your info is going to FSDO isn't a fun experience.
What fuck ups?  The only other one I'm aware of is his landing on a golf course that wasn't attributable to him.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#15]
So flying right over a taxiing 737 full of passengers is an honest mistake?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You get one every five years. I'm pretty sure his close encounter with the 737 a while back burned him on that one.

Regardless he could take multiple violations and still keep his ticket.......but he has got to be close to losing it at this point. As others have mentioned, I see a 709 ride in his near future
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could you tell me more about the "One every 5 years" deal?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Could you tell me more about the "One every 5 years" deal?
View Quote
You can file as many NASA reports as you like, but you can only use it as a defense against certificate action only if there hasn't been another violation in the past 5 years.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't forget his crash on the golf course.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a small passenger Jet at the airport in Lexington KY take off on the wrong run way a few years back.  It was too short killed all but the copilot I believe.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
His "crash" on the golf course was due to him loosing power after takeoff in a single engine aircraft through no fault of his own (carburetor problem.)
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We had a small passenger Jet at the airport in Lexington KY take off on the wrong run way a few years back.  It was too short killed all but the copilot I believe.
View Quote
I remember that, slammed into some construction equipment.

Wrong fucking runway is a big fucking problem.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#22]
What's a 709 ride ?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What's a 709 ride ?
View Quote
Short for 49 U.S. Code § 44709, the FAA can reexamine an airman at any time.

In the context of FAA enforcement, it basically means you have to take a shortened check ride on what you fucked up.  

In this instance, he'd probably have to do a series of takeoffs and landings at an airfield with an operating control tower.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's a 709 ride ?
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

complacency kills.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If I recall correctly, the ASRS form only protects you from certificate action, but not from reexamination.  

What fuck ups?  The only other one I'm aware of is his landing on a golf course that wasn't attributable to him.
View Quote
This is the only one I can recall off the top of my head. But it was fairly recent.
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/harrison-ford-comes-dangerously-close-to-plane-collision-video-w468238
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is the one I can recall off the top of my head.
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/harrison-ford-comes-dangerously-close-to-plane-collision-video-w468238
View Quote
That's the incident the phone call in the OP's article is in reference to.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Short for 49 U.S. Code § 44709, the FAA can reexamine an airman at any time.

In the context of FAA enforcement, it basically means you have to take a shortened check ride on what you fucked up.  

In this instance, he'd probably have to do a series of takeoffs and landings at an airfield with an operating control tower.
View Quote
Got it , thanks !
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bullshit. A small incident while training with a helo Instructor, his plane blew over from wind on the runway, an engine failure on takeoff that was not his fault and he kept it from being a lawn dart, and this latest incident is something that happens to many pilots, even commercial crews.

He might get a letter, a fine, and what ever else they do that's a slap on the wrist, but this isn't like when grandpa confuses the brake for the gas.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's the incident the phone call in the OP's article is in reference to.
View Quote

lol
I was under the impression that there was another incident involving him on yet another runway.

Note to self, reading is key
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
So you never made a mistake while driving?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bullshit. A small incident while training with a helo Instructor, his plane blew over from wind on the runway, an engine failure on takeoff that was not his fault and he kept it from being a lawn dart, and this latest incident is something that happens to many pilots, even commercial crews.

He might get a letter, a fine, and what ever else they do that's a slap on the wrist, but this isn't like when grandpa confuses the brake for the gas.
View Quote
Yep, my mistake. I thought he had another similar incident recently.
I should have read more carefully.

But still,  Feds don't play around. Even one incident like that might be all it takes
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, this happens albeit rarely. A more common incident is landing at geographically close but wrong airports or taking off from the wrong runway. From comments of local pilots, John Wayne is laid out in an odd way. That taxiway is where a runway would normally be and vice versa. The taxiway runs down the middle. Some locals in news articles said the airport has had incidents like this happen before and will happen again.

Another problem is the residential encroachment and noise abatement. Take-offs from some runways can be a bit different. Hard full throttle and a high angle after take-off to climb then cut the throttle and glide over the houses.

Also, Ford may have not seen the 737 due to the longer nose and landing approach on his aircraft until he was past it.  If that's the case it's less serious, however if he saw the jet *before* landing, he should have aborted.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
709 Ride
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It really isn't comparable at all.    I wish it were, though.

Aviation demands a much higher level of perfection and compliance.     Blame FAA, Newton and Darwin.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#36]
In his defense, that Charlie taxiway used to be an actual runway, and you can still see the runway markings from the air. I don't blame him for making that mistake, even the professional airline crews make that mistake, once in a while. And no, that 737 wasn't on the taxi way yet, when he landed. Also, it was a good stabilized approach, and subsequent landing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Aviation demands a much higher level of perfection and compliance.     Blame FAA, Newton and Darwin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to be in a plane to understand how unforgiving it is.

I didn't fully grasp it until I started to take lessons.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
In his defense, that Charlie taxiway used to be an actual runway, and you can still see the runway markings from the air. I don't blame him for making that mistake, even the professional airline crews make that mistake, once in a while. And no, that 737 wasn't on the taxi way yet, when he landed. Also, it was a good stabilized approach, and subsequent landing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
In the early 80s we had a JAL crew takeoff from ANC on a taxiway. It was a bit short and he remodeled some shit with the main gear but he got airborne and elected to fly home rather than getting fired in Alaska 
View Quote
No dude, that was China Air.

Taxiway kilo westbound right into a snow bank. Then radio silence from them all the way to Taipei.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Other than sitting in a passenger seat, I am unfamiliar with flying. Can you please explain what the series of photos show?

Thanks,

JPK
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can see the big "X"s at each end of the taxiway from space... So I guess you could also see those from the air. 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
The golf course one goes in his favor. It was like a tiny miracle on the Hudson.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Other than sitting in a passenger seat, I am unfamiliar with flying. Can you please explain what the series of photos show?

Thanks,

JPK
View Quote
This picture should help. 20L was the runway Han Solo was supposed to land on, instead he landed on the taxiway.

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
imo

Or wrong airport, for those fans of the Dreamlifter.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've reviewed that crash at their ARFF training school. That was a series of "broken links" in the chain that lead to a very unfortunate crash.
Tower guy never actually looked at the aircraft before clearing it for takeoff. Pilots got confused by poorly designed intersection and lined up on wrong RWY. 
It lead to reconstruction of those (2) runways IIRC.

I don't recall their being any construction equipment involved as another poster wrote.
They just ran outa runway and ended up in the field/tree-line after running out of pavement.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I believe there was a KAL 747 did the same thing around 2000 or 2001.  The parallel taxiway for the northern runway 34(?)  They left tracks in the snow of the main gear on the hill there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Comair 5191, August 27, 2006

Comair Crash in Lexington. KY
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Pre-Crash KLEX
Attachment Attached File

Post Crash KLEX
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
He's getting a little senile.   Happens to the best of us.
View Quote
A friend of mine who is getting up in age landed his Mooney with the landing gear up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yes, this happens albeit rarely. A more common incident is landing at geographically close but wrong airports or taking off from the wrong runway. From comments of local pilots, John Wayne is laid out in an odd way. That taxiway is where a runway would normally be and vice versa. The taxiway runs down the middle. Some locals in news articles said the airport has had incidents like this happen before and will happen again.

Another problem is the residential encroachment and noise abatement. Take-offs from some runways can be a bit different. Hard full throttle and a high angle after take-off to climb then cut the throttle and glide over the houses.

Also, Ford may have not seen the 737 due to the longer nose and landing approach on his aircraft until he was past it.  If that's the case it's less serious, however if he saw the jet *before* landing, he should have aborted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Lincoln air port (KLNK) used to have a runway 36L and 36R.  After having too many people land on taxiway alpha 36R got redesignated 35 despite it still having a magnetic direction of 357 (meaning it should still be 36 as that's the closest 10).

They also added rabbit lights and REILs while every ATIS still says "Do not mistake taxiway Alpha for Runway 35".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top