Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:04:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone mention that the Tacoma is not available with heated mirrors?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:07:02 AM EDT
[#2]
My last fully loaded Tacoma really disappointed me.

I'd rather get a Honda Ridgeline now.

Hope Ford comes out with their Ranger with a 2.7 EcoBoost engine stateside.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:26:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone mention that the Tacoma is not available with heated mirrors?
View Quote
Weird my 2016 Tacoma has heated mirrors. I sold a 2014 Wrx STI to buy the truck. Miss the STI, LOVE the tacoma.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:41:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The reviews on them are not something that Toyota is proud of.
Ride and ergo's seem to be the biggest complaint with initial quality, the mechanicals on them is a whole different story.

Our sister dealer (Toyota store) is still replacing engines on them under warranty, not all of them that they have sold but one in five is coming back and Toyota has a "don't ask don't tell" campaign on them.
They are trying to avoid a full blown recall on them, which is nothing new for Toyota (I worked with Toyota for several years, it's nothing new with them).

Toyota is losing market share on the Tacoma line in a big way, they are now tied (as of March 1 2017) with GM and their Colorado/Canyon offerings, something that Toyota scoffed at 2 years ago.
50% of the folks that are trading in trucks on the GM revivals are Tacoma owners.

Brand loyalty on the Tacoma is dropping like a rock, Toyota fucked up a REALLY GOOD TRUCK.
View Quote
They best get their shit squared away in a fucking hurry because when the new Rangers drop in a couple of years they are going to get hit hard.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They best get their shit squared away in a fucking hurry because when the new Rangers drop in a couple of years they are going to get hit hard.
View Quote
And don't forget the new Jeep pickup that will be coming out within the next couple of years.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Weird my 2016 Tacoma has heated mirrors. I sold a 2014 Wrx STI to buy the truck. Miss the STI, LOVE the tacoma.
View Quote
Strangely enough, me too. Both counts, in fact!

I had a 2010 TRD OR 6 speed. Sold it like an idiot and bought a WRX because GO FAST! decided I really wanted a truck instead and with the ridiculous resale value of Tacomas I just bought a 2016 TRD OR 6 speed. I quite enjoy it.

I do notice the torque difference at low RPMs compared to the 2010. Most of the driving bitches people have regarding how the vehicle shifts, I don't, because manual. I'm quite happy with it so far. Time will tell, but so far we're good to go.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had a new Tacoma while my tundra was in the shop. Feels slow, you sit with your feet forward like a go cart. I'd rather buy a used tundra for the same price
View Quote
My dad had a Taco, and I hated that seating position. I'm 6'3 and I felt like I was on a rowing machine. Ended up getting a Tundra.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Gen 3 is like a truck

But gay.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You even crawl control bro?  Edit:  explanation at 4:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19BNRvuNLWE
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drum brakes
Fo reelz?
You even crawl control bro?  Edit:  explanation at 4:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19BNRvuNLWE
That's pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Careful. Someone might make this their sig line.  

Raptor, power wagon both are better off road options.
View Quote
Power wagon lol
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Tacoma's cost too much for what they are.

Look at Nissan if you want to save money.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I once had a small truck, never again will i make that mistake. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

An XLT with the 2.7 Ecoboost can run about $38k depending on how you configure it - so says the website.
Will you find one on the lot like that? Who knows

Such a bummer. I like Toyota, but they are not without their flaws.
V6 power, V8 mileage - not impressive.
This generation's Tacoma is kind of a bummer.
Of the midsize trucks on the market right now, I think I like the Canyon (Colorado) the best.
View Quote
If 2WD works here's an XLT for $34K which would be a nice truck: 2.7 XLT
If 4WD is needed, here's an XLT for $36.5K: 2.7 XLT 4WD

A lot more truck than the Tacoma, with equal mileage, and pretty close to equal price.  Honestly, now isn't the best time to get and F-150 and I would wait a few more months.  Seems like prices are a bit higher since the 2017s just started hitting the lots and there aren't many 2016s left.

The 2.7 Ecoboost is actually a little beast:
Tacoma's 3.5L: 278 hp@6000, 265 lb-ft@4600
F-150's 2.7L Ecoboost: 325 hp@5750, 375 lb-ft@3000
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tacoma is the only off road capable pickup truck on the market currently.
View Quote
I have an order placed for a Colorado ZR2 diesel.

Better offroad, better tow capacity,  better milage, locking front dif (does toyota have one?)

Order has been submitted to GM. I just don't have a time frame...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What I don't want in a mini truck is a rusting steel bed and too much weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.
So what about the fenders? Are those plastic or do you not mind rusting fenders?

If the bed want plastic, would you have considered another brand? Is the plastic bed a selling point for you?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have an order placed for a Colorado ZR2 diesel.

Better offroad, better tow capacity,  better milage, locking front dif (does toyota have one?)

Order has been submitted to GM. I just don't have a time frame...
View Quote
Comparison ...................
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So what about the fenders? Are those plastic or do you not mind rusting fenders?

If the bed want plastic, would you have considered another brand? Is the plastic bed a selling point for you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Based on the Tacoma's history, maybe Toyota should've tried polymer frames? 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#18]
yep.

on top of the listed. Colorado diesel also has a 7600 tow capacity which I belive is more then the yota, and nearly 30mpg highway which the yota isn't going to get close to. some of the reviews on line the colorado diesel vs v6 the colorado got nearly twice the mileage towing and was easier to tow with. I tow a can-am maverick, and other crap around but want a daily driver that isn't going to kill me in fuel and isn't huge (my area is know for small streets and lack of parking where even a F150 is a big son of a bitch)

when I went to look at the Colorado diesel I was torn between a Z71 or a GMC canyon (canyon is much nicer) when I saw a little brocure on the ZR2. I said.. I want that motherfucker. I put an deposit and order in.. they still have't given me a total price (probably $45k) which is more then a Z71 but as equipped much better options. the Z71 becomes more of an appearance package rather then off-roader compared to the ZR2.  Toyota didn't even cross my path they are notorious for shit fuel mileage and shit power even if they do last forever.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#19]
2015 model year is a more proven generation.

I have a 2012 DCSB and love it.

Sure money would of gone further with a F-150 or similar but I don't want a fullsize as I drive downtown daily for work and the only shit I haul is stuff to the dump / recycling and to the range.

If we have another child I'll get a T4R for more room.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My boat is small.  16x48 aluminum john boat with 25HP outboard.  My Tundra pulls it like it's not there.  
View Quote
A Geo Metro would pull that boat.  I'd buy a Tacoma if I didn't already have an FJ Cruiser.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Nobody drives Toyota trucks up here.  The only ones you see have southern plates.  They have a horrible reputation for rust dating back to the early '80's and somehow they've managed to get worse instead of better.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2016/11/14/toyota-to-pay-up-to-3-4-billion-to-resolve-rust-claims-from-truck-owners.html
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nobody drives Toyota trucks up here.  The only ones you see have southern plates.  They have a horrible reputation for rust dating back to the early '80's and somehow they've managed to get worse instead of better.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2016/11/14/toyota-to-pay-up-to-3-4-billion-to-resolve-rust-claims-from-truck-owners.html
View Quote
In before:

But but but, it was an American company that coated those frames!! 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Get a frontier and you'll have a better truck for $5000 less.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got a 2011 Trd Sport 6-speed manual. Gas mileage sucks, but I love it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
To all.  I am tentatively car shopping.  I've always been a Toyota guy and doubt any other Makes and Models will sway me into a Ford, Dodge, or Chevrolet.    I currently have a 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L.  It has 200k miles.  It's been a great truck.  Plenty of room, more power than I'll ever need.  Rides nice.  In the past I've had a 1st gen 4Runner, FJ40, FJ60, and an FJ80 so I'm good with poor ride quality and and underwhelming passing power.

That said, I've been looking at the Tacomas and Tundras.  To get a Tundra I'll have to go pretty high mileage or older to realistically afford the payments. I'm not looking to spend $40k+ on a truck.  

Are there any known issues with the 3.5L V6?  It seems to be a new engine in the Tacoma in 2016 and 2017.  Any other issues that I need to be aware of?  

Thanks for the help.

BTW do we have anyone that works for Toyota here?
View Quote

Got cash to buy it outright? No? Poor decision to finance a depreciating asset. Great trucks but that's my attempt to talk you out of it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#26]
They don't build em like they did 15 years ago and reliability and resale (the biggest selling point on toyotas) won't be what they were when modern cars reach the same age.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I had an '05 Taco for 11 years with no issues. Almost bought a new one last year but the reviews were so mixed I held off. Decided to grab a GTI for now and wait and see what the new Ranger brings.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A lot more truck than the Tacoma, with equal mileage, and pretty close to equal price.  Honestly, now isn't the best time to get and F-150 and I would wait a few more months.  Seems like prices are a bit higher since the 2017s just started hitting the lots and there aren't many 2016s left.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An XLT with the 2.7 Ecoboost can run about $38k depending on how you configure it - so says the website.
Will you find one on the lot like that? Who knows

Such a bummer. I like Toyota, but they are not without their flaws.
V6 power, V8 mileage - not impressive.
This generation's Tacoma is kind of a bummer.
Of the midsize trucks on the market right now, I think I like the Canyon (Colorado) the best.

As a V8 purist, I'd probably take the eco-boost option between those 2.
Very sad.
With the Jeep wrangler truck on deck, the Ford Ranger, the Bronco, the redesigned Wrangler, and the Chevy colorado ZR2 coming out?
Combined with a perception (real or fake news) that the Tacoma isn't what it once was, Toyota's trucks could be in for a rocky time if they don't come out with new *good* stuff, and ASAP.

I want to say they full on pulled a Colt.
Got comfortable, didn't change anything substantial, didn't really offer anything new, kept offering well made but kinda basic (and expensive-ish for what it is) products - and got caught by a rising tide of variety and improving quality of competitors.
Leaders lose their crowns that way.

The Tacoma isn't far away from being more competitive. Better engine, kinks worked out, tweak a few things - it will be better.
I guess the problem is there will be a lot more market variety

4Runner needs a little update, A lot of fans miss the power of the old V8.
The Sequoia and the Tundra are basically the same as they were in 07. Are there even rumors of major redesigns?
Very sad.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had an '05 Taco for 11 years with no issues. Almost bought a new one last year but the reviews were so mixed I held off. Decided to grab a GTI for now and wait and see what the new Ranger brings.
View Quote
I started visiting Tacoma world just reading  threads about problems new owners were having . This is a forum for guys who love  Tacoma's and the 2016 , 17 models
have a lot of complaints and issues .

From howling noises in the drive train , to vibrating  hoods at higher speeds , water leaking into cabs etc... A lot of new owners are saying they wish they would have kept their 2nd generation truck instead of trading it in for their new one.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I didn't mind that setup when I had my Tacoma.  They stop the truck fine and last forever. Probably better from an off-road perspective.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Well I took what seemed like the overwhelming advice and kept shopping.  Ended up finding a 2010 Tundra with 5.7L.  116k miles which was 84k less miles than mine.  The truck has a couple inches of lift and has 35x12.50 tires under it.  After driving it and seeing it I now believe this is the suspension and tire combination Toyota should have went with factory.  

Seems like a solid truck and hopefully it lasts for a long while.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top