Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/23/2017 4:43:03 PM EDT
A new study appears to offer additional evidence that drivers are less likely to brake for African-American pedestrians trying to cross the street, a phenomenon known as “walking while black.”

Coughenour, while acknowledging the study’s limitations,   said she believes the results confirm what researchers found in a study conducted by researchers at Portland State University in Oregon and the University of Arizona. She said the findings are also in line with a large body of literature that suggests people react differently to others based on “implicit bias” that may not be conscious. “We all have some sort of innate bias,”   she said.

Link
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]
It's called getting off the X to avoid a car jacking.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
First post says fuck that
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Black pedestrians are also less likely to stop and watch for traffic.

Black Gangster hit by ice cream truck while getting his swagger on (Original Video)
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZUUxBMWXh8
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
When a person is doing the "walk slow in the middle of the road, and don't disrespect me stroll", fuck them.
I'm not playing their fucking dominance asshat games.
I also don't frequent the hood so there's that data point.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Dumb bitch probably got paid a whole shit load of tax dollars to sit in her office drink and make this shit up.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]
First post and fifth post nail it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The researchers also found that the disparity is greater depending on whether the pedestrian is walking in a high- or low-income neighbourhood.

Nope.  Has to be racism.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dumb bitch probably got paid a whole shit load of tax dollars to sit in her office drink and make this shit up.
View Quote
Unfortunately you're probably corrrect.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#10]
How about we do a study but with the shoe on the other foot.

How likely are african americans to stop and let non Hispanic Caucasians pass?

How about Asians and Hispanics?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]

A black dude will cause just as much damage to a grill/hood as a white dude.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
"Research" from the liberal shit hole of Portland.....
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Or are black pedestrians more likely to Jay walk? 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe if one segment of the population would stop committing a disproportionate level of crime they would not be treated as though they commit a disproportionate level of crime.

Eta: Come to think of it I have never seen one of my black friends or coworkers walking in traffic, so I am guessing this study was limited to mostly inner city types prone to such behavior.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Black pedestrians less likely to obey crosswalks and hurry the fuck across the road. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When a person is doing the "walk slow in the middle of the road, and don't disrespect me stroll", fuck them.
View Quote
This is confirmed by my totally non scientific observations. They do the whole don't look and slowly stroll out into traffic because "fuck yall" thing all the time. It's an observable fact and if you work in those areas often and encounter it constantly you stop giving a fuck after a while too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Every night in the summer here. All over town. I use my 60" LED lightbar and fogs on them. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#18]
At least in Nashville, I noticed black folk like to take their sweet ass time crossing the street, even if traffic has to slow or stop.

Crossing without a crosswalk is standard procedure on a lot of streets downtown, but most folks time it right or jog so as not to disrupt flow.

I didn't grow up in a city.  I don't have enough experience in other cities for extended periods to compare behavior.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#19]
..and young black males are more likely to stroll slowly into the street just to act like dicks..so, there is that too
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Oh Shit" is the correct answer
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This is confirmed by my totally non scientific observations. They do the whole don't look and slowly stroll out into traffic because "fuck yall" thing all the time. It's an observable fact and if you work in those areas often and encounter it constantly you stop giving a fuck after a while too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
..and young black males are more likely to stroll slowly into the street just to act like dicks..so, there is that too
View Quote
It's like they are daring you to brush guard them in the teeth. I don't get it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Hard to stop when a gang banger evading the po-po suddenly runs into a street full of traffic.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The researchers also found that the disparity is greater depending on whether the pedestrian is walking in a high- or low-income neighbourhood.

Nope.  Has to be racism.
View Quote
refuse to be raped   racist
refuse to be robbed racist
fight back  racist
survive   racist
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Because black people just stroll into the street wherever they please regardless of traffic.  Its seriously in black peoples DNA to do this.  I've lived in predominantly black areas for a long time and I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen blacks hurry up or not step into the street when cars are present.  The best is when they stare at you while loudly reciting rap lyrics.

No surprise people don't give a fuck about hitting them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe it was dark out?

Also, not a racist remark, I mean that I tend to see more people out at night in poorer neighborhoods.  Also with the tendency to wear black clothes, it might be part of the problem.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Did her study say anything about accelerate and swerve towards?
Because that's what I do when one of those slow strolling fuckers starts their pimp walk across the street.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I hope I'm not bad for finding humor in that finding.

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#30]
FPNI
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Or are black pedestrians more likely to Jay walk? 
View Quote
They blend into the environment better than pasty Oregon liberals, so they're harder to see.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I have witnessed the slow foot shuffle across a busy street where I work and I have also witnessed the complete shock on a persons face when they get hit. It makes me giggle inside.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Get the fuck outta the road, dumbshit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Was this study conducted at night?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Cars are racist and should feel bad
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, my Father taught me not to walk out in the street unless I wanted hit by a car, or something bigger. 

I guess it's just my privilege showing again. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well, my Father taught me not to walk out in the street unless I wanted hit by a car, or something bigger. 

I guess it's just my privilege showing again. 
View Quote
What you did there... I see it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#38]
The imbeciles around here will walk in the roadway wearing dark clothing at night.  I've even seen dumbasses standing in the middle of traffic lanes on I-20.

I have to warn out of town guests to be aware of black people on the roads.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Black top black pigmented person causes optical impairment. May be further impaired by wearing black or dark clothing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Or cross safely at crosswalks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#41]
The same demographic that also goes out of their way to slow down checkout lines in grocery stores and drive through lines at fast food joints.  I've heard this behavior makes them feel important.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Is it might time?  Maybe they didn't see them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Was this study conducted at night?
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
I missed one by about 2 inches for just that. He stepped off of the curb while looking right at me and grinned I never took my foot off the gas and didn't brake. Play chicken with me and you lose.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's like they are daring you to brush guard them in the teeth. I don't get it.
View Quote
Recently, with the closing date for Brexit (tomorrow!  ), we've heard a lot about protecting cultural identity.  The Progressives can't seem to understand why anyone would be concerned about such a thing.

Well, the inner city black community is a perfect showcase example of what happens when your cultural identity has been destroyed.

In this case, it was the systematic destruction of their identity, autonomy, family structure, and industries, mostly by the Democratic party, but they're certainly not alone in blame.

There isn't now a strong and respectable "black identity" in America.  They're either part of the larger culture, or they're ghetto/thug/poor/urban/etc, whatever other term you want to use.  Blacks in America can either "act white," so to speak, or they can be labeled and treated as marginalized members of society.  There's no "respectable black" option, outside of some very small communities that have managed to hold onto their identities, mostly in the South.  You saw with stark contrast during Katrina, for example, the black communities that took care of each other and worked together, and the communities who didn't.

In any case, that large/inner city culture, which lacks a strong sense of positive community identity, and being a marginalized group, they become a culture of opposition.  
They become what they are labeled/treated as being, both by themselves and the society at large.

In other words, because they don't have an identity of what they are, their identity becomes the opposition to what they are not.

So, take anything about broader society, and think up something that opposes it.  You've just described America's urban poor.

They're intentionally antagonistic to everything that you like.  Their entire existence is a great, big "fuck you" to the man (aka, you).

And that's why they walk down the middle of the street, slowly.  It was intentionally socially engineered to be this way.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Must be different in my area.

There's a dozen or so black families in the subdivision I live in with an immeasurable amount of Mexicans. Both groups have kids that play in the streets all day and I've noticed that when I'm driving through the neighborhood, all the White, Asian, and Black kids will see my car and stand on the sidewalk while the Mexican kids will continue to play. Sometimes I'll honk and these kids will just keep on playing as if I wasn't even there.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Not being biased here but we the study conducted at night?

Were they wearing black clothing?

Were there nonverbal communications that affected the drivers and pedestrians?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the study is bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
At least in Nashville, I noticed black folk like to take their sweet ass time crossing the street, even if traffic has to slow or stop.

Crossing without a crosswalk is standard procedure on a lot of streets downtown, but most folks time it right or jog so as not to disrupt flow.

I didn't grow up in a city.  I don't have enough experience in other cities for extended periods to compare behavior.
View Quote
You're not wrong. People get hit crossing Gallatin Rd. all the time, ain't nobody got time for crosswalks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
My theory on this phenomenon is that poor, insecure, inner-city/projects/hood blacks find this to be one of the few ways they can get acknowledgement from people who actually have jobs, vehicles, and somewhere to be.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The same demographic that also goes out of their way to slow down checkout lines in grocery stores and drive through lines at fast food joints.  I've heard this behavior makes them feel important.
View Quote
It does.

It's called "signifying"

There is a whole constellation of behaviors that are ghetto based. 

None are constructive.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top