User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's not a product everyone will run out and buy or see a need for. And as someone mentioned on a previous page the most likely customers might well be the people who need it the least given how seriously they are examining what they do when they practice and train.

All I'm shooting for is getting the reasonable rationale out there so people understand what it is meant to do and don't believe stupid shit like the SCD somehow being something that can stop the gun from functioning. In my experience few people understand how even a simple handgun like the Glock works. Those people won't grasp how the SCD functions in relation to the Glock's mechanism. That's understandable.

Poo flinging about booger hooks is also inevitable.

But as long as the message gets out, somebody will buy it.

I'm thinking of talking with Tau this weekend and getting a FAQ published that answers a lot of people's questions and potential criticisms. I think it will be useful.
View Quote
You convinced me to get one, where can I order it from?

And do they make one for the G20? It's the only Glock I have and it's the only Glock I want because of the caliber.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
If there was a way they could make one for the M&P 9c, I'd get one.

I appendix carry and even $100 is worth the peace of mind.

I originally started CCWing a Beretta 85BB w/ hammer down and safety off.  That was a comfortable feeling when re-holstering because my thumb was riding that hammer the whole way down.
Same way with my Airtight 637.

If I carried IWB or OWB on the hip, I wouldn't be as inclined to get one though.  But - for so little money ( compared to running a bullet through you ), why the hell not ?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@TacticalComputing how about a blem for $60.00.  FWIW i am not affiliated with this company in any way.
https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/products/striker-control-device-blemished
View Quote
Thank you. My g19 might get some more carry time now
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@GSL

Tau's website:

https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/

At the moment all they have left in stock is a couple of cosmetically blemished units. (The next production run is expected in mid May) Still work properly and still have the durable finish, they just have some tool marks that aren't supposed to be there:

Ordinarily they wouldn't sell the blemished units, but with the demand spike in the last week they were convinced to let the blemished units go to by people begging them to sell.

The SCD fits everything in the Glock family except the Glock 42 and 43.
View Quote
I'm glad they are. I ordered one for my g19 that has spent 10 years on a lobster boat, it might dress her up a little
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thank you. My g19 might get some more carry time now
View Quote
You're welcome sir.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread is a great reminder of how few members of the gun community shoot enough and have enough deductive reasoning to think this through and figure out why The Gadget is a good idea if you use a Glock.

It makes reholstering safer which is where a lot of injuries happen not just from fingers on triggers but from shirts and jackets getting caught on the trigger, drawstrings and even holster straps.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@GSL

Tau's website:

At the moment all they have left in stock is a couple of cosmetically blemished units. (The next production run is expected in mid May) Still work properly and still have the durable finish, they just have some tool marks that aren't supposed to be there:

Ordinarily they wouldn't sell the blemished units, but with the demand spike in the last week they were convinced to let the blemished units go to by people begging them to sell.

View Quote
Awesome. Ordered and thank you very much sir for helping the community out with this.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@GSL

Tau's website:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You convinced me to get one, where can I order it from?

And do they make one for the G20? It's the only Glock I have and it's the only Glock I want because of the caliber.
@GSL

Tau's website:

I've always thought this should have been named the ARCD- Accidental Rampage Control Device
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a cool, well thought out product.

Accordingly, this thread is just as full of retard as I knew it would be. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#13]
That's pretty damn clever.

I lean towards hammer fired and or safety equipped guns and reholstering is a big part of the reason why.
I particularly like that no additional springs are incorporated into the design as that would be my biggest concern from a failure standpoint.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Just tossing this out here:

Anyone who is in the Northern Utah area that would like to examine one of these in person, and maybe shoot a Glock 19 equipped with one, can IM or email me and I will make arrangements to meet up.

I have no financial interest in these things, but I do believe they are a good idea, and might save some underpants and some lives. 

To the shithead who advocated murdering the person who invented the Gadget: I hope Karma makes you her bitch. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:38:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's not a product everyone will run out and buy or see a need for. And as someone mentioned on a previous page the most likely customers might well be the people who need it the least given how seriously they are examining what they do when they practice and train.

All I'm shooting for is getting the reasonable rationale out there so people understand what it is meant to do and don't believe stupid shit like the SCD somehow being something that can stop the gun from functioning. In my experience few people understand how even a simple handgun like the Glock works. Those people won't grasp how the SCD functions in relation to the Glock's mechanism. That's understandable.

Poo flinging about booger hooks is also inevitable.

But as long as the message gets out, somebody will buy it.

I'm thinking of talking with Tau this weekend and getting a FAQ published that answers a lot of people's questions and potential criticisms. I think it will be useful.
View Quote
It looks like it directly blocks the rearward movement of the striker. In a way, it almost adds a "hammer" of sorts to the Glock, as with your finger on the device, it would both block the striker, and the trigger.

If this thing were to fail, it would have to fail in such a manner that it would prevent the movement of the striker. You would have to somehow lock it into "always on". Maybe a "magic" pebble could do it (like with a Blackhawk Serpa), but I just don't see it through normal use.

I think putting it on a carry Glock isn't really a bad idea, imho. Any plans on developing this for other striker pistols which work in a similar fashion? Maybe even sell a version to Sig for use in the XM17...

ETA: Got me for a blem version. It doesn't need to look pretty.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:31:13 AM EDT
[#16]
@John_Wayne777

Alright you talked me into one. $65 shipped.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd  be willing to try one out before shit talking.
I'll buy one as soon as they are sold on Amazon, Brownells, Midway or they take PayPal.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I just bought two.  I've been waiting for this for a while.

I even went out and spent $900 on a P30 so I had something with a hammer because I couldn't get this a year and a half ago.

The bad news is I learned I really like the P30 and the LEM trigger. I just wish they weren't so expensive.  I like my $500 Glocks and $20 mags.  By the time I put sights on the P30, it is twice the price and extra mags are too.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was.  

I'm actually warming up to the idea.  I still wouldn't carry AIWB though, no matter how many safeties I could add on, but that's an entirely different topic.

I wouldn't mind seeing one in person first but I can now see that practicality of it; even if you are looking at your holster when holstering, having additional tactile control over the situation can't be a negative.
View Quote
Where are you at in VA?  Your visual inspection and test can be easily arranged.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@jefflebowski

He has some great experience with this as well as some great write ups. I like the idea, it serves a very specific purpose.
View Quote
I'm wearing one of the original beta tester units right now.  A unit that has over 100k documented rounds through it.  A unit that is made of weaker material than the current production units.  A unit that has never failed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@jefflebowski

He has some great experience with this as well as some great write ups. I like the idea, it serves a very specific purpose.
View Quote
Here's my original writeup.

http://www.gunnuts.net/2015/07/03/the-gadget-an-additional-safety-device-for-glock-pistols/
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I have mine from the original shipment, haven't had a chance to install it yet.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@jefflebowski

http://www.gunnuts.net/2015/07/03/the-gadget-an-additional-safety-device-for-glock-pistols/
Andy from the comments is clearly a retard, along with anyone who dismisses this out of hand.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Andy from the comments is clearly a retard, along with anyone who dismisses this out of hand.
View Quote
Andy suffers from the same fallacy that the other idiots here are doing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Way ahead of you, fam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re8oMnGbnh4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would make an interesting youtube to prove your point.
Way ahead of you, fam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re8oMnGbnh4
Point proven, point taken. Reconsidered and altered previous position.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
It does take about thirty seconds
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@jefflebowski

Great news, I suggested something similar for the Walther pistols, as their striker can be blocked in the same way while this was under development, so I hope the patent holders move on the other striker fired pistols that are available.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Great news, I suggested something similar for the Walther pistols, as their striker can be blocked in the same way while this was under development, so I hope the patent holders move on the other striker fired pistols that are available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@jefflebowski

They are, for the ones that this design can be adapted to.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They are, for the ones that this design can be adapted to.
View Quote
Awesome.  Anyone knowledgeable enough about the P320 to know if it is possible for that gun?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I carry Glocks, and I'm going to be surprised if I'm the first to post this.

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Cool.

I see its usefulness.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The Glock is fundamentally different from most other striker-fired guns on the market because the striker on the Glock is not fully cocked. When you pull the Glock's trigger you are actually moving the striker rearward which gives a device like the SCD room to operate. The trigger bar presses thes striker rearward. Eventually the trigger bar is far enough to the rear to disengage the striker block and then it hits the disconnector which forces it down and eventually clear of the bottom of the striker...so then the striker can move forward.

http://i58.tinypic.com/10zy4w4.gif

The SCD allows stopping rearward movement of the striker altogether, preventing the weapon from firing.

Most of the other striker guns on the market hold the striker in a fully cocked position, including the P320, the M&P, the VP9, etc. Thus the same method used for the SCD in the Glock wouldn't work as they can't really block the striker's movement since it doesn't move. The trigger bars in those weapons release a sear of some sort which drops the fully-cocked striker. Tau is looking into creating SCD style devices for other weapons but it's a bit more complicated to achieve due to the design differences.
View Quote
Gotcha.  Those three you mentioned also have manual safety versions floating around so I wonder if it is a worthwhile investment for Tau when all the manufacturer has to do to satisfy the perceived demand is to release the manual safety versions for the general public.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Just got mine!! I ordered a Blem version but only see one half circle mark in the corner that you have to look under a bright light to see.

Plus when I emailed asking about the shipping date on the product I got an immediate response and took less than a week from order to door @John_Wayne777 Thank your buddy for me, very excited to go to the range this weekend and start carrying it on my G19!
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Is this thing the answer to the SHERPA holster dilemma?

Not that I ever had one but it appears there are a lot of shooters, some of whom are decent, who believe theres a problem with Sherpas and Glocks.

Maybe as an extra safety step its not a bad idea. I have no plans on buying one tho so I dont feel like I should give an opinion or even have the right to.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is this thing the answer to the SHERPA holster dilemma?

Not that I ever had one but it appears there are a lot of shooters, some of whom are decent, who believe theres a problem with Sherpas and Glocks.

Maybe as an extra safety step its not a bad idea. I have no plans on buying one tho so I dont feel like I should give an opinion or even have the right to.
View Quote
Doesn't appear to be.  The danger inherent in the SERPA is on the drawstroke.  The SCD helps alert the user that the trigger is moving to the rear (and can help block that movement) in the same way placing your thumb on the hammer of a DA gun does while reholstering.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just got mine!! I ordered a Blem version but only see one half circle mark in the corner that you have to look under a bright light to see.

Plus when I emailed asking about the shipping date on the product I got an immediate response and took less than a week from order to door @John_Wayne777 Thank your buddy for me, very excited to go to the range this weekend and start carrying it on my G19!
View Quote
Mine just got delivered too. I ordered a blend as well. I'm stuck at work though
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#38]
After reading the entire thread and some of the retards (You decide if you fall into that category, based on what you wrote) who posted in it, I have come to the conclusion that it is a pretty ingenious idea.
I may buy one , if for no other reason, to support a Family of a guy who has done a lot for the shooting community, and made me a better shooter (And I never even met him).
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I think mine came today, and its waiting for me at home.

Which is pretty convenient, as I forgot to pack my range bag with me for my weekly range visit, which means that I can grab it while I get my range bag with my G19 inside.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I would not carry a pistol w/o a safety, or leave a cylinder open (SAA).

Having said that, no external safety is better than that one. Unlike most slide mounted, or 1911 safeties, it looks like like you can't flip it with your thumb easily.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Can you imagine a scenario where a trigger is pulled without a finger touching it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep your fucking finger off the trigger.  How hard is it?
Can you imagine a scenario where a trigger is pulled without a finger touching it?
I can. Tracking a wounded deer in the woods at night and faceplant into wash.
Sprained my ankle pretty good, and when I finished tumbling, my finger was inside the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Mine showed up in the mail today. Awesome.

Many thanks to the OP and John_Wayne777 for bringing this wonderful device info to us.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would not carry a pistol w/o a safety, or leave a cylinder open (SAA).

Having said that, no external safety is better than that one. Unlike most slide mounted, or 1911 safeties, it looks like like you can't flip it with your thumb easily.
View Quote
This "safety" does absolutely nothing if your thumb is not on the backplate.  

With how it actually works, I think calling it a "safety" isn't entirely accurate, though there really isn't a better term that I can think of to define it. There are no detents, it is just two pieces of steel on a roll pin hinge.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Mine just got delivered too. I ordered a blend as well. I'm stuck at work though
View Quote
Maybe a pic of mine will help yah

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#45]
thanks

Got home and in less than 5 minutes had it installed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Retarded.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Retarded.
View Quote
Like how a person comes in just to shit in a thread, or post a one word statement that shows their communication skills don't exist? Atleast say what you don't like and be apart of the discussion.

Or keep on keeping on; either way I'd still like to hear why you dislike it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thumbs will be lost.
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Gotcha.  Those three you mentioned also have manual safety versions floating around so I wonder if it is a worthwhile investment for Tau when all the manufacturer has to do to satisfy the perceived demand is to release the manual safety versions for the general public.
View Quote
What the SCD has going for it is that it's a non permanent, drop-in modification unless the manual safety equipped pistols.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey I got a wedding in less than a month and a fiance to deal with
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top