Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#1]
High speed holstering is stoopid.

Even in a high stress/emergency situation holstering a pistol is something you should pay attention to.

But I don't own/like GLOCKS, so my opinion is irrelevant
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I do like placing my thumb on the hammer on hammer fired guns or under the safety on a 1911. I would be interested in trying this on my g19.

I wonder how open the back of the gun is with this installed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've been eating cheeseburgers for a long time.  That doesn't make it a great idea.
View Quote
Defense rests
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Manual safeties are for women and nancies.
View Quote
Does this mean that I need to undergo gender reassignment surgery?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Solution to nonexistent problem.

Nope.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#6]
This was prominent in an NRA e-mail today.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maximum speed T-Rex snatches and blind reholstering hnnnngggg I can't wait.
View Quote
That has exactly zero to do with why this was invented. Zero. But derp on, folks...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A safety is a device that can fail.
View Quote
Toss that AR15 in the trash then. Then toss that Glock in too for having the "safe" action trigger as well...because a safety is a device that can fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#10]
It's needed because Glock is the only polymer striker fired pistol on the planet with a trigger tab, striker block and partially cocked striker.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, that changes my opinion completely.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It to rain on y'alls parade, but it's the product @JohnWayne777 dreamed up
I don't think he invented it. I am 100% positive he was around the two dudes that are responsible for its development, and has shot more than a few rounds with one on a Glock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That has exactly zero to do with why this was invented. Zero. But derp on, folks...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maximum speed T-Rex snatches and blind reholstering hnnnngggg I can't wait.
It's intent is not to improve safety during reholstering?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A revolver does not have a short light trigger and has an actual hammer that moves if the trigger is moving.  Your argument is frivolous.  This corrects what has long been a flaw in the glock design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess carrying a revolver AIWB is completely out then....
A revolver does not have a short light trigger and has an actual hammer that moves if the trigger is moving.  Your argument is frivolous.  This corrects what has long been a flaw in the glock design.
The Glock trigger is a flaw?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#14]
How many of you guys that think this is a good idea complain about the XD grip safety? Putting your thumb on the back of the slide on an XD achieves the same thing. Just go buy an XD or a gun with a manual safety if you're scared of carrying a loaded Glock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Toss that AR15 in the trash then. Then toss that Glock in too for having the "safe" action trigger as well...because a safety is a device that can fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A safety is a device that can fail.
Relying on feedback from a device which can register a false positive to give you the green light during reholstering, yeah I'd say so.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
It has a safety device in it, it can fail. Your words. So there is your flaw
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There is so much Dunning-Kruger in this thread. The Gadget is a great idea. It has been tested for a long time. There is no down side.
View Quote
There is one downside in theory.  If you are a total knucklehead and don't properly engage the thing with your thumb and the trigger catches while holstering, you've compounded your Glock Leg with Gadget Thumb.

In theory anyways.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is one downside in theory.  If you are a total knucklehead and don't properly engage the thing with your thumb and the trigger catches while holstering, you've compounded your Glock Leg with Gadget Thumb.

In theory anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is so much Dunning-Kruger in this thread. The Gadget is a great idea. It has been tested for a long time. There is no down side.

In theory anyways.
Holding a slide shut while firing a pistol won't hurt you.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Unfortunately it's too hard for some. Except for being an extra layer of safety while instructing, as Sylvan mentioned, it's just another crutch to aid those that should not be handling firearms in the first place.
http://i.imgur.com/ALB4O.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep your fucking finger off the trigger.  How hard is it?
Unfortunately it's too hard for some. Except for being an extra layer of safety while instructing, as Sylvan mentioned, it's just another crutch to aid those that should not be handling firearms in the first place.
http://i.imgur.com/ALB4O.jpg
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
So you don't carry a Glock then. It has a safety in it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
this.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
I find the idea of adding additional safeties repellent, and I think that the thought process that advocates them breeds complacency.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure, but doesnt change the fact that revolvers dont have exterior safeties and are still considered safe. Glock triggers arent tuned 1911 light either, if you dont pull the trigger, just like in a revolver, it wont fire. Simple as that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes, a stupid design for stupid people.  The original design was for the military and never intended to be carried with a round in the chamber. It was fine for that method, but was stupidly adapted to chamber loaded carry because certain police chief's stupidly thought that their people were not capable of learning the decocking drill on better pistols available in the late 80s and early 90s.  These same Chief's who thought a cocked and locked 1911 was a lawsuit waiting to happen with it's 5lb stock trigger pull, were just fine with glock's 5lb trigger pull.  

Of course the glock hit the right price point.  Free with trade in is a great price and hard to argue with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, a stupid design for stupid people.  The original design was for the military and never intended to be carried with a round in the chamber. It was fine for that method, but was stupidly adapted to chamber loaded carry because certain police chief's stupidly thought that their people were not capable of learning the decocking drill on better pistols available in the late 80s and early 90s.  These same Chief's who thought a cocked and locked 1911 was a lawsuit waiting to happen with it's 5lb stock trigger pull, were just fine with glock's 5lb trigger pull.  

Of course the glock hit the right price point.  Free with trade in is a great price and hard to argue with.
That's very interesting information, I've never come across it, do you have a cite for it?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Defense rests
View Quote
The world trembles from the potency of your argument.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's very interesting information, I've never come across it, do you have a cite for it?
View Quote
ex assassin/French Legionnaire working a gun shop counter told him.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In theory anyways.
Post video of you firing a Glock while holding the slide shut with your thumb.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's not really a safety. It's a tactile feel device. not a fan of the thumb on back of slide thingy to reholster.
View Quote
I like it, and think it's a good idea for it to be standard practice.

On hammer guns, you can immediately feel if the hammer starts to draw back.  Also, any blowback gun or small pistol with a weak mainspring (usually pocket guns, but some people carry things like the LCP on their belt) - thumb on the back of the slide helps ensure the gun stays in battery so you don't get dirt/lint inside the action, it will go bang when you have to draw it, etc.  But those sorts of things are secondary benefits.

The big reason is, even on striker guns, moving your thumb there breaks your firing grip without sacrificing much in terms of control on the weapon.  Breaking your firing grip is a commitment to being done shooting, and so you can slow down a little bit now.  Take your time to reholster, that sort of thing.  It's not a shooting grip, that's the point.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
HappyCamel is correct.  I've done it myself.  It's easy.

Here's some guy on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r4XpFYCaIo
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
The bit I highlighted there... Where are you getting that from, specifically?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#35]
The next time you go to the range, place your thumb behind the backplate and press the trigger.

The only thing that will happen is that the gun will fail to cycle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Forgive me if I do not take your word for it, nor do I wish to test the theory myself.

ETA: Watched video.  I'd still contend there is a difference between deliberately and carefully pressing your gloved thumb on the back to try to hold the slide in place, and lightly pressing on the back while holstering in a manner that is insufficient to engage the little gadget do-dad.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well damn!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It to rain on y'alls parade, but it's the product @JohnWayne777 dreamed up
It was his friend, Todd Green that came up with this innovation, But JW777 was involved in testing, prototyping, etc.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Forgive me if I do not take your word for it, nor do I wish to test the theory myself.
View Quote
You must subscribe to the idea of "knockdown power".
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You must subscribe to the idea of "knockdown power".
View Quote
I've seen enough movies to know that even a 9mm can knock a man clear off his feet, sometimes even inducing a backwards somersault.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It flops around on the back of the slide.  You don't see how crap can get inside to the striker area?

ETA:  I can see very limited application for this doohickey.  A training environment makes some sense.  I don't think it's a great idea for general usage.
View Quote
It has been tested, for years, in Craig Douglas' "Extreme Close Quarters Combatives" courses, and didn't fail.  Hit the YouTubes and you'll see how taxing that environment is.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
FFWD to :35.  Gloves are not required.  EDIT:  I'm slow.

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#43]
I will say that in all seriousness, I wouldn't be concerned about ripping my thumb off from the monsterous forces unleashed by the 9mm cartridge, nor the risk of gunk getting in my backplate and causing failure to fire.  It's not like the Glock doesn't have tolerances in the slide you can't drive a truck through to begin with ya know, and reliability hasn't been their bugaboo or anything.

My biggest concern would be having to train to holster my firearm using a specific grip/technique only applicable to the Glock and really nothing else.  If all you ever carry are Glocks, it probably makes sense.  But if you carry other pistolas, I don't wanna have to holster one way for this and holster everything else normally.  It would seem the need for the gadget is eliminated by just being more careful when you holster a Glock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've seen enough movies to know that even a 9mm can knock a man clear off his feet, sometimes even inducing a backwards somersault.
View Quote
It's true.  My .40s have killed me several times.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Honestly the only people who will buy this are probably gunners who already have the lowest probability of having a DA to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How many of you guys that think this is a good idea complain about the XD grip safety? Putting your thumb on the back of the slide on an XD achieves the same thing. Just go buy an XD or a gun with a manual safety if you're scared of carrying a loaded Glock.
View Quote
Now THIS is why I'm going to subscribe !

'Dis gun B guud !
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I find the idea of adding additional safeties repellent, and I think that the thought process that advocates them breeds complacency.
View Quote
You're going to have to edit out your original statement then, because what you had originally stated is not the same as what you are saying now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If this safety fails, explain how it effects the function of the pistol.
View Quote
1) Opens up the back of the slide to debris, which can lead to jamming.  I have detail stripped my bird guns in the past and found all kinds of grass and crap in places that baffles the mind.

2) Debris could wedge into the "flipper" keeping it closed.  This would lock up the trigger.

3) Debris could wedge into the "flipper" keeping it open.  Now it no longer functions as intended and the guy that thinks he is safe to re-holster with his thumb on the slide still has a negligent discharge.

If I get knocked to the dirt in a fight, the last thing I want is hinged door on the back of my slide waiting for a big clump of mud to enter it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The world trembles from the potency of your argument.
View Quote
When the opposing argument is "Cheeseburgers" it makes it easy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#50]
That's dumb as shit.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top