Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/22/2017 9:01:39 PM EDT
I'm located around the Pittsburgh area, particularly in Washington County, Pennsylvania. We have an absolute rash of overdoses locally and within SWPA as a whole. Allegheny County, Westmoreland County, Washington County and Greene County.

Particularly, where I am in Washington, Interstate 70 and Interstate 79 converge and supposedly our little quiet town has quickly became heroin highway. Lots of major shit going on in a town that was once a sleepy Pittsburgh suburb they manufactured glass and mined coal.

All I see on the news is OD, OD, NARCAN, OD, OD, NARCAN.

Is it just PA, OH and WV that are contending with this scourge, or is it truly everywhere in our country?

It used to be a self-correcting issue. I have a former co-worker who's daughter was an abuser of opioid's and he always told me 'They're the hidden people." - I didn't quite understand that until he elaborated and said many families hide them, they just corner then away and don't speak of them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, it's been everywhere for the last couple thousand years
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]
E TN is the epicenter...fact.  

I believe it is another example of Darwin thinning out the herd...all we need to do is get out of his way.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it's everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]
It has been a big problem around here too, even in schools.

Maybe I was sheltered, but when I was a kid, all people really did was smoke pot and drink beer.  

Now it is getting hooked on pain pills, which become harder to find than heroin, so it moves to that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
E TN is the epicenter...fact.  

I believe it is another example of Darwin thinning out the herd...all we need to do is get out of his way.
View Quote
Death throes of an Empire. Enjoy watching your country burn.

TC
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#6]
worked as an EMT in rural Upstate NY...yup

moved to northern NH in the middle of the White Mountains....because gd says uproot everything and move you life for gun laws..and to talk shit to Texans...so i did

and yup
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It has been a big problem around here too, even in schools.

Maybe I was sheltered, but when I was a kid, all people really did was smoke pot and drink beer.  

Now it is getting hooked on pain pills, which become harder to find than heroin, so it moves to that.
View Quote
Right, that's what happened around this area. You had the oxycontin, hydrocodone, oxycodone and it just went down hill from there. For some time, it's my understanding they were quite free flowing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Everywhere
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes it is everywhere. And just getting worse by the day.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Death throes of an Empire. Enjoy watching your country burn.

TC
View Quote
It's always good to live at the end of an empire.  The food is good, the booze is great, the women are willing and someone else has to pick up the pieces - Jack McDevitt.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought it was a rare to see any news about heroin around here 15 years ago. Now it seems like it's all you hear about. wonder what changed? price? availability?

Still don't know how anyone would willing addict themselves to heroin.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Friend was driving home last night in South Florida and thought she saw a dog on the side of the road in the grass. Turned around and it was a young girl OD'ing. Called medics and NARCAN was administered.

The most messed up thing happened to me tonight on my way back from my mom's house. I was driving down SE 5th ave in Dania beach (residential) and I passed this weird looking black thing in the grass near the sidewalk. I thought maybe it was a big lab that got hit by a car. I kept going but it did not sit right with me so I turned around and drove by it again. As I approached it, I had this weird, strong, unsettled feeling. It was a girl, face down, wearing all black but her hair was in a bun so I could see her neck. She was not responding to me at all. I called 911, it seemed like it took forever but she began to twitch alittle. It was a sweet baby Jesus moment and I was thankful she was still alive. She was lightly gasping for air and still not responding when the paramedics pulled up. Everyone was hustling, lights flashing everywhere, three cop cars and an ambulance. The paramedic examined her eyes and showed the police officer how small her pupils were. He turned to me and said you just saved her life tonight. She was overdosing on heroin. He gave her an injection to reverse it but my heart is still broken. I can never unsee that and she was going to die alone on the side of the street. Just like that... After calling my mom and trying to put words to this horrific scene, I pray this is her turning point! I pray she loves herself more tomorrow than she does today. I pray she has friends and family that will help her through this struggle. I pray she does not die today... ??
I love you mom and thanks for listening to me talk it out and try to wrap my head around that. It was really fucked up... sorry I cursed!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I grew up in a small county in VA in the middle of nowhere. When I graduated in 2001 we could get pot and beer easily, everything else was pretty hard. Nowadays kids are ODing on herion every year in that same small county.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Buddy of mine was sitting in a Waffle House in Georgia and watched a younger guy in the parking lot hop into the back seat of a car that had just pulled in. He hopped right back out; car left. He came in grabbed a spoon from the counter and went into the bathroom. 1 o'clock in the afternoon last Monday.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

moved to northern NH in the middle of the White Mountains....because gd says uproot everything and move you life for gun laws..and to talk shit to Texans...so i did

and yup
View Quote
Good for you! beautiful area.

That's where I found my wife!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I grew up in a small county in VA in the middle of nowhere. When I graduated in 2001 we could get pot and beer easily, everything else was pretty hard. Nowadays kids are ODing on herion every year in that same small county.
View Quote
its cheap
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
stop taking them from us!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I thought it was a rare to see any news about heroin around here 15 years ago. Now it seems like it's all you hear about. wonder what changed? price? availability?

Still don't know how anyone would willing addict themselves to heroin.
View Quote
I believe it starts with recreational pain pill addiction in many cases.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#20]
It's really bad here in PA, I've got family throughout the Midwest bad there too. Although I don't hear about it so much there on the news, just from my peeps. Yea... everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I live in a fairly rural area and I'm surprised at how often I read about it in the local paper.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like it's pretty popular in shit states like PA and Ohio.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, I'm 90 minutes north of you.

I've lived here all my life and I'm a former LEO.

I believe it's every bit as bad up here, if not worse than Washington, PA.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Everywhere.  I worked in Donora for a while (great place, right?) and it was very bad there.  We'd find stamped bags in the plant and give them to the cops.  Needles in the locker room, you name it.  Had to get rid of a few employees that were heavily addicted or came to work high as hell on heroin.  

But it is everywhere.  Where I work now, not so much the employees but the surrounding community is affected.  Lots of little break-ins for just a few dollars  from the center console so they can get a hit.  As sad as it sounds I sort of laugh reading the monthly report on various stamped bags and where they are found in PA...the names and the results are sometimes obviously appropriate.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Best friend is an EMT in CO, they're having a bit of an issue with it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Not at my house. I am drinking some Elijah Craig after a workout though. Extra relaxy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I work in a jail in a quite rural area.

It's an HUGE issue.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#28]
My FIL used to do undercover Narcotics enforcement when he was active LEO. He talked to some of his friends who are still active recently and they said two things are moving right now: Meth from south of the border and a literal flood of relatively cheap, potent Heroin.

The supply of Opiods is being tightened, so, Smack is easier to get and is stronger than ever. A recipe for ODs.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#29]
yea, I'd have to agree.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#30]
It's all over here in rural SW VA (and of course, right across the county/state line into southern WV).
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yea, and just up the road from your place.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
All I see on the news is OD, OD, NARCAN, OD, OD, NARCAN.
View Quote

That's what has changed.  The shit is all over the news now because the nanny staters have decided they want to ban pain relievers to save some doper's life.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Friend was driving home last night in South Florida and thought she saw a dog on the side of the road in the grass. Turned around and it was a young girl OD'ing. Called medics and NARCAN was administered.

The most messed up thing happened to me tonight on my way back from my mom's house. I was driving down SE 5th ave in Dania beach (residential) and I passed this weird looking black thing in the grass near the sidewalk. I thought maybe it was a big lab that got hit by a car. I kept going but it did not sit right with me so I turned around and drove by it again. As I approached it, I had this weird, strong, unsettled feeling. It was a girl, face down, wearing all black but her hair was in a bun so I could see her neck. She was not responding to me at all. I called 911, it seemed like it took forever but she began to twitch alittle. It was a sweet baby Jesus moment and I was thankful she was still alive. She was lightly gasping for air and still not responding when the paramedics pulled up. Everyone was hustling, lights flashing everywhere, three cop cars and an ambulance. The paramedic examined her eyes and showed the police officer how small her pupils were. He turned to me and said you just saved her life tonight. She was overdosing on heroin. He gave her an injection to reverse it but my heart is still broken. I can never unsee that and she was going to die alone on the side of the street. Just like that... After calling my mom and trying to put words to this horrific scene, I pray this is her turning point! I pray she loves herself more tomorrow than she does today. I pray she has friends and family that will help her through this struggle. I pray she does not die today... ??
I love you mom and thanks for listening to me talk it out and try to wrap my head around that. It was really fucked up... sorry I cursed!
View Quote
She'll blast off again as soon as she can. The only way people stop doing heroin is jail or death.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not that I disagree with you, but you aren't exactly in a non-fecal state.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#36]
take a trip through rock island county IL or Colona IA, it is everywhere

my mom delt with it for a while, jail cleaned her up, this was probably 20 or so years ago now
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Oh it's shit here I'm PA as stated. Live in Westmoreland county. Work a few blocks from the meth clinic in Greensburg, you should  see the amount of people there at any given time. Worst thing is if you OD and have shit on you the cops just take it and you get off Scott free. Same if you call for someone od-ing and are holding. The "Good Samaritan" law.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I can completely understand how folks hooked on pain pills revert to heroin after they can't get prescriptions.

That said, I do not understand how kids (without a previous opioid addiction) are willing to even try heroin. I did all kinds of drugs as a teenager, and it was very obvious that heroin/meth/crack were drugs that you didn't do under any circumstance.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#39]
The 'opiate crisis' has turned my heart dark, and I am now an official member of 'dark heart island.'

I don't care anymore.  I don't care if people OD.  I wouldn't care if it were a family member.  I may not even call 911 if I saw someone OD'ing.  I'd probably stand over their dead body and laugh, like Walter White. 

I would have zero problem stepping over the dead bodies of junkies in the gutter.  None. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and yup

How did you lose her in the first place?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#41]
It is everywhere. In some places heroin is more popular but in other places the pills are worse. Some places have more a fetenyl problem mixed in the heroin. But as a general opioid drug problem yes everywher. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Everywhere.  I worked in Donora for a while (great place, right?) and it was very bad there.  We'd find stamped bags in the plant and give them to the cops.  Needles in the locker room, you name it.  Had to get rid of a few employees that were heavily addicted or came to work high as hell on heroin.  

But it is everywhere.  Where I work now, not so much the employees but the surrounding community is affected.  Lots of little break-ins for just a few dollars  from the center console so they can get a hit.  As sad as it sounds I sort of laugh reading the monthly report on various stamped bags and where they are found in PA...the names and the results are sometimes obviously appropriate.
View Quote
What is a stamped bag?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How did you lose her in the first place?
View Quote
it was too hot in GA and she liked seeing the Moose
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#44]
It's been a while since we've had a good hysteria.

People will always get high, and they'll always die.  It's human nature.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#45]
How is it a 'major problem'?

If America consumed 80% of the worlds oil, would that be a major problem to you?

If Americans owned 80% of the worlds private vehicles, would that be a major problem to you?

80% of the opiod supply is consumed by America because the vast majority of the rest of the world sucks.  If you're consuming 80% of anything, that's not a problem -- it's a sign of development and how advanced the society is. 

Here's a better one that's probably more relatable:  If 80% of the worlds 'super-mega-obese' population lived in the US, would that be a 'major problem'?  I don't think so.  That's a sign that Americans have been successful and that you have so much more excess food to consume compared to the rest of the world. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It is everywhere. In some places heroin is more popular but in other places the pills are worse. Some places have more a fetenyl problem mixed in the heroin. But as a general opioid drug problem yes everywher. 
View Quote
Oh we've got that too. That was what was responsible for the recent slew of deaths we had down here.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#47]
yes it's everywhere. and new england seems to be getting hit real hard.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The 'opiate crisis' has turned my heart dark, and I am now an official member of 'dark heart island.'

I don't care anymore.  I don't care if people OD.  I wouldn't care if it were a family member.  I may not even call 911 if I saw someone OD'ing.  I'd probably stand over their dead body and laugh, like Walter White. 

I would have zero problem stepping over the dead bodies of junkies in the gutter.  None. 
View Quote
Your life must suck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I believe it starts with recreational pain pill addiction in many cases.
View Quote
There's some truth to that sure.

People are more likely to be exposed to opioids that way, people are willing to take a pill either as prescribed or not and find out they like the drug.

The supply of heroin went way up 10-15 years ago, for a number of geopolitical reasons. With big supply came low prices and more use.

And then came fentanyl, which has made it a crapshoot whether the dose will kill you or not.

It's a perfect shitstorm, but it's the attempt to use government to fix it that's killing people. You aren't going to stop junkies from getting high by making the supply dangerous, and you certainly aren't going to eliminate the supply.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I work in a jail in a quite rural area.

It's an HUGE issue.
View Quote
I work at a Prison and Heroin is an issue as are all drugs, but the major ones are Suboxone...and K2
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top