Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/22/2017 3:49:11 PM EDT

U.S. Navy engineers at the Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division recently designed and flew a prototype ramjet missile in just six months. The engineers not only met their deadline, they flew the missile using off-the-shelf equipment, items so inexpensive they were paid for with a credit card. The result is a missile that could join the fleet in 3-4 years.

In addition to being faster, ramjets can travel three times as far on the same amount of fuel as a standard rocket motor. The result is a missile that gives enemy air defenses less time to react and flies farther than conventional missiles.

Matt Walker, head of the Airbreathing Propulsion Section at NAWCWD, told Naval Aviation News, "If you have a small team, you can just get together and draw on a whiteboard on the fly and not have to worry about getting the large team involved and buy-in from everyone." This also meant keeping defense contractors, which tend to move slowly and conservatively and with an eye for profit, out of the design process.

The team needed to find a rocket capable of boosting the ramjet. Instead of developing one on their own, they used a model rocket engine that cost $900. They were even able to buy the parts with a credit card, avoiding the time-consuming defense acquisition process. The ability to simply order an and have it delivered instead of starting up a rocket motor factory made the process even faster, and the low, low cost meant they could afford to test often.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a25747/navy-ramjet-model-rocket-credit-card/
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
lol, I like the 1.2 sticker on the motor.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
There are many lessons to be learned here, for both government and private business.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Where's the video?  (lol)
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome, plus it cut the cost of the damn thing until the plans are given to a contractor to build it. then they can come up with a million reasons why it will cost 1.2billion instead of the final cost that these guys made it out of.

I want to find the engine now and build one lol, well without a warhead of course
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#6]
They might have bought all the parts with a credit card, but i suspect someone did split purchases.

Anyone want to bet the COCO and KO are going to get called out because of this article?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Wanna bet I could build a GPS guided short range missle for 5k? combine a mobile phone with a couple servo's from RC planes, a bunch of G series model rocket motors and an RC plane, with a modest payload. DONE.  

OH wait ISIS is already using drones to drop hand grenades....
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, but what do their toilet seats cost?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#9]
As part of his engineering studies, my son participated with a team of other students in a competition Raytheon hosts for college students.
The teams are given a real-world problem and must come up with a solution.

The team my son was on came up with a solution that used off the shelf components. they did all the vibration tests and other engineering tests required.
They didn't win, because it was supposed to be a new approach. However, they were told that their solution would actually be put into production...

so, stuff like this does happen from time to time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I am pretty sure I know one of the engineers on that project.  The way the project was completed with a lack of bullshit is just that guy.  The last missile project he worked on was failing because the team leader would get drunk and fuck hookers, rather than try to produce a successful result.  He changed jobs from the missile place here to go out there.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are many lessons to be learned here, for both government and private business.
View Quote
Nothing was learned on the .gov side, as the current process is intentional.

You can blame Congress for it.  Yes, Congress.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Hope they got some cash back/miles on that bitch
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Contractors move slowly due to poor designs and tons of BS in the contracts.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes, but what do their toilet seats cost?
View Quote
The toilet seat thing was a small production of special airplane toilet seatsnot an off the shelf part.

The cost of hammers pays for Area 51 alien technology reverse engineering.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#15]
So we CAN build innovative and robust designs in a short time and small budget in the modern era? I've been told numerous times here that next-gen anything is too complex and 20 year, trillion dollar timelines are just normal procurement.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This also meant keeping defense contractors, which tend to move slowly and conservatively and with an eye for profit, out of the design process.
View Quote

As a person who commonly deals with DoD CM and acquisition processes, buwhahahahaha.

I think the shrink term is "projection".
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So we CAN build innovative and robust designs in a short time and small budget in the modern era? I've been told numerous times here that next-gen anything is too complex and 20 year, trillion dollar timelines are just normal procurement.
View Quote
This wasn't normal procurement.

There's two ways to avoid normal procurement. Be so small and cheap nobody notices you, or be so big and important that all of your problems are solved by basketfulls of cash with no questions asked.

Usually how you get the best results too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#18]
They should have told 4chan it would trigger SJWs if they built one. It'd have been done in an hour for free.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#19]
So, they avoided having to answer to any government bureaucracy oversight and could also avoid the defense acquisition process.  Wow, this team was so much faster than those stupid defense contractors!  Hmmm, I wonder why those contractors have to move so slow?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Now that the model rocket motor is a defense article they will force the company to pay the $2,250 ITAR fee and they can then get their money back lol.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They might have bought all the parts with a credit card, but i suspect someone did split purchases.

Anyone want to bet the COCO and KO are going to get called out because of this article?
View Quote
or they have someone with a $30k credit card.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree. Good luck getting anyone in Government to pay attention but one can hope.

Hope the guys who did this stuff get noticed and rewarded in a big way
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds to me like they used off the shelf rocket engines to *boost* the ramjet up to operating speed, since it can't operate standing still.  They made a complete working missile by combining the two.  This just in: Model rocket engines make things go fast.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
or they have someone with a $30k credit card.

Kharn
View Quote
I just had my corporate card stretched to $35k 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#25]
"This also meant keeping defense contractors, which tend to move slowly and conservatively and with an eye for profit, out of the design process. "

Fuck you asshole...I'm a engineering defense contractor responsible for quoting/developing/delivering your POS design that may or may not be valid. I'm not slow and YOU NEED ME IN your design process.

Cunt.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
One of the lessons is that government employees often want to do things faster and better, but the super confusing network of almost unworkable rules and laws get in the way so much that hardly anything can be done due to the process.....which was intended to prevent fraud waste and abuse.....has become a source of waste and abuse due to the number of hrs an employee needs to use to buy something....

But whatever.......fairness doctrine is unfair to everyone.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Go Navy 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"This also meant keeping defense contractors, which tend to move slowly and conservatively and with an eye for profit, out of the design process. "

Fuck you asshole...I'm a engineering defense contractor responsible for quoting/developing/delivering your POS design that may or may not be valid. I'm not slow and YOU NEED ME IN your design process.

Cunt.
View Quote
So much for "customer focused"

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fuck you asshole... YOU NEED ME IN your design process.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Neat idea, but it'll get killed at some point due to internal politics.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:24:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:45:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Didn't the Navy also make a super computer by daisy chaining a bunch of Play Stations?
View Quote
You mean the berthing gaming LAN on the Ford?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:51:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:56:57 AM EDT
[#36]
In other words a group of guys got together, behaved the opposite of the gov, and achieved greatness.  Yeah what else is new.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Read about Patton and his development of a tank. He bought some parts from Sears with his own money because the procurement system back then had problems too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
<a href="https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fcIMIyQnOso/hqdefault.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fcIMIyQnOso/hqdefault.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
<strong>Quoted:</strong>

Fuck you asshole... YOU NEED ME IN your design process.
<a href="https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fcIMIyQnOso/hqdefault.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fcIMIyQnOso/hqdefault.jpg</a>

HEY! I'm a people person...

And remember, mean people don't suck...mean people get things done...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Cunt.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Imagine that..Off the shelf parts and a.group of people who want to get down to brass tacks and engineer something rather than bullshitting away money while someone decides what color it has to be and what kind of acronym to name it.  Plus circumventing? the DoD procurement process is a very smart idea.  That is one of if not the biggest hold up these days.  Fucking takes forever to procure something and by the time you get it your timeline is so fucked it isn't even funny.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#41]
shiny
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm sure the defense contractors are all complaining about how much better their 5 million dollar system is far superior.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#44]
What jet turbine did they get for $900?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I wish I could just buy stuff with a credit card.  It takes me like a week to get a box of screws and a router bit to build a test setup out of scrap wood. At the same time the HR girls were maxing out company credit cards buying Christmas trees
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
solid state model rocket engines.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Cunt.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
RIF.

It was a hobby rocket to accelerate the missile to a speed where the RAMJET could start.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Cunt.
View Quote
if the job is anything like medical device engineers, all they do is take a design that cost $50 and somehow make it $5000.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top