Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 99
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:24:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swingset] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Are there any customers out there with over 300,000 miles on there cars without major components failing ?
View Quote
My co-worker has a 2006 Sedona pushing 400k without any issues just normal wear and tear items. He's a maintenance guy tho, so it's not an abused car.

My daughter has the same year/model and hers is 200k and runs like a top. Only thing I've ever done to hers is 02 sensors and replaced one radiator hose.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
My daughter has a sportage and it is comfortable and well designed.  She has 80k and no problems.  I do a little work on it and it is designed well.  Unlike fords and chevies that look thrown together under the hood.  Worked on my mother in laws Fusion.  The alternator was buried and it had a huge plastic scoop that went from radiator, across top of engine and down firewall to alternator.  They eventually did away with the piece in later models because it was picking up heat off radiator.  I have always heard that japans automotive industry gets the best engineers while Americans tend to move toward energy, Nasa etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By scorpion12:
Op thanks. You were right, it was the button with the pic of the face eating bacon to get the nav system to talk. We tried it the other day and it worked... problem is the car must speak Korean because it didn't understand the words coming out of my mouth.
View Quote
Their is a way to train it to your voice I think, problem is I don't know how to set it up typically the salesman do that with the customer, heck find a Salesman at one of the Kia dealership something

Short pauses in between each word also seems to help the system
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CoolioDot223:
What the fuck is wrong with the 2.4 gdi blowing rods?
View Quote
Air pockets in some of the rods, problem  has been solved, but there are still a few floating a round on the road, I think they might have lost track, notably it seems to be a 2011 and 2013 that have this issue, have not seen a 2-4 after 2013 that has had this issue, rare problem overall though
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Hollands1:

My daughter has a sportage and it is comfortable and well designed.  She has 80k and no problems.  I do a little work on it and it is designed well.  Unlike fords and chevies that look thrown together under the hood.  Worked on my mother in laws Fusion.  The alternator was buried and it had a huge plastic scoop that went from radiator, across top of engine and down firewall to alternator.  They eventually did away with the piece in later models because it was picking up heat off radiator.  I have always heard that japans automotive industry gets the best engineers while Americans tend to move toward energy, Nasa etc.
View Quote
Ford makes some agravating things, glad I don't really have to deal with them anymore
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Updated OP
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Aside from your edit in the OP, anything else I should look for on a '11 Sorento v6 FWD?  85k miles--had the door worked on this summer and was covered under a recall, and we've had the fuel door button replaced.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By the444shooter:
Aside from your edit in the OP, anything else I should look for on a '11 Sorento v6 FWD?  85k miles--had the door worked on this summer and was covered under a recall, and we've had the fuel door button replaced.
View Quote
Ehh, if the brake fuild is dark do that, don't recall if coolant is done every 30k, or 60k, should be in the manual, in 15k or so miles you are due for a tune-up spark plugs and since you're there you might as well do the valve cover gaskets to if they are leaking
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#9]
What kind of deals are usually had off of sticker prices ok Kias?

Are they like Ford/Chevy/Dodge where you really have to shop them around and can usually find significant reductions off of sticker price?

Or are they more in the camp of Toyota or Honda where you pay sticker or real close to that?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm late to this thread but awhile back I picked up a 2015 Optima for a daily driver and it's an awesome vehicle.  No complaints.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:06:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#11]
Originally Posted By gogetumnow:
What kind of deals are usually had off of sticker prices ok Kias?

Are they like Ford/Chevy/Dodge where you really have to shop them around and can usually find significant reductions off of sticker price?

Or are they more in the camp of Toyota or Honda where you pay sticker or real close to that?
View Quote
I honestly do not know

I got my certified Kia Soul for about 1500 off but then again I work here
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rogueboss:
I'm late to this thread but awhile back I picked up a 2015 Optima for a daily driver and it's an awesome vehicle.  No complaints.
View Quote
Glad to hear
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#13]
LP, my Da picked up his Soul yesterday.  So 2 Kias in a week.  You're quite the brand ambassador.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#14]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
LP, my Da picked up his Soul yesterday.  So 2 Kias in a week.  You're quite the brand ambassador.
View Quote
The Souls of great funky little car, he will enjoy it

O and make sure he knows that he is knows that Kia is Korean and not Japanese one of my little pet peeve hot buttons
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#15]
His godson is Japanese.  He knows the difference.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#16]
His godson is Japanese.  He knows the difference.
View Quote
Good to here.

By the way what's the deal when your avatar?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I was really bored in Kuwait, and designed an AR stock built out of Legos.  By version 8, it was strong enough to hold up to 24 rounds of 12 ga 3" 00 buck and mortaring.  I was working towards a thumbhole stock and a lower built of plastic bricks, but the Hera Arms thumbhole and AR trigger jigs have given me a shortcut.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I was really bored in Kuwait, and designed an AR stock built out of Legos.  By version 8, it was strong enough to hold up to 24 rounds of 12 ga 3" 00 buck and mortaring.  I was working towards a thumbhole stock and a lower built of plastic bricks, but the Hera Arms thumbhole and AR trigger jigs have given me a shortcut.
View Quote
You have some totally crazy ideas, I like you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#19]
This isn't crazy, it's just bad Dremeling:

Attachment Attached File

I call it a Lyndon...
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#20]
This isn't crazy, it's just bad Dremeling:

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84655/20170312-231308-164754.JPG

I call it a Lyndon...
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Another day in Kia land
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Why won't Kia fix my soft paint issue on my 14 optima?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:
Why won't Kia fix my soft paint issue on my 14 optima?
View Quote
Paint on Hyundai in Kias are kind of thin compared to the rest of the industry, it's not a warranty item typically, so you'll probably have to get a body shop / paint booth quote from them, if they even have a body shop, sorry.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#24]
The paint issue is my only complaint as I love the car, But maybe its just the Asian paint as my Xterra ha soft paint too!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:
The paint issue is my only complaint as I love the car, But maybe its just the Asian paint as my Xterra ha soft paint too!!!
View Quote
Hmmm, now that I think about it Asian cars in general seem to have the thinnest paint compared to everyone else
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Another day in Kia land
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#27]
We recieved a recall notice for "driveshaft hub nuts" on our 2014 soul today
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Done 6 of them so far,  never seen a New Soul have any problems involving Axels
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#29]
My daughter is reporting her 2010 soul's fuel gauge is staying on Full then rapidly going to half then empty in a short time.
It's away at college so it could be 100 miles on full then a normal level change to empty.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Someone siphoning her gas?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:01:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#31]
i suggested that as a possibility
the soul has a cable latched gas fill cover that could be jimmied

She will start resetting her trip odometer and calculating her mpg at every fill

it's possible she has a faulty sender 
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Love my 2015 Sedona.  One thing I was wondering about is the need for "Top Tier Gas".  I've been sticking Mobil but there are a lot of Irving stations near me.  Is this worth it to be careful about?  Last two cars we traded in were 13 and 11 years old and would hope I could do the same with this.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Are you ready for the recall?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#34]
whats up with those 1.4 million or so kias recalled for motor issues? "left over" metal in the engine from manufacturing gets caught in the bearings or something like that... doesnt effect my 15 sedona,,, but the 13 sorento we used to have it affects.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By army11b:
whats up with those 1.4 million or so kias recalled for motor issues? "left over" metal in the engine from manufacturing gets caught in the bearings or something like that... doesnt effect my 15 sedona,,, but the 13 sorento we used to have it affects.
View Quote
Exactly.

Affects kia and hyundai. Whats up with that?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I got a voluntary service campaign letter to change out my drive shaft hub nuts.
What's up with that?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:49:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tyman] [#37]
lmfao recall

"hey guiz, buy a Kia!"

"1.2 mil cars recalled"

"shit, still buy a Kia!"

Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#38]
from what I see most news places say 1.2 million. But at least they are recalling it and fixing it if it needs it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:14:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#39]
The automakers said a defect in cars and sports utility vehicles may lead to stalled engines and an increased risk of crashes. South Korea’s transport ministry said Friday that metal debris in crankshafts could result in engine damage and the loss of motive power, according to Reuters.The list of vehicles to be recalled in the U.S. includes:
  • Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUVs, 2013 to 2014
  • Hyundai Sonata midsize cars, 2013 to 2014
  • Kia Optima midsize cars, 2011 to 2014
  • Kia Sportage SUVs, 2011 to 2013
  • Kia Sorento SUVs, 2012 to 2014
Kia is an affiliate of Hyundai. Combined, the companies are recalling 1.19 million cars and SUVs in the United States, 114,187 in Canada and 171,348 in South Korean, safety regulators said.“The recall is related to a manufacturing process problem,” the companies said in a statement. The engines for the vehicles recalled in the U.S. were made at a Hyundai plant in Alabama.Hyundai said it would replace defective engines with new ones, with recalls scheduled to begin in late May.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
The automakers said a defect in cars and sports utility vehicles may lead to stalled engines and an increased risk of crashes. South Korea’s transport ministry said Friday that metal debris in crankshafts could result in engine damage and the loss of motive power, according to Reuters.The list of vehicles to be recalled in the U.S. includes:
  • Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUVs, 2013 to 2014
  • Hyundai Sonata midsize cars, 2013 to 2014
  • Kia Optima midsize cars, 2011 to 2014
  • Kia Sportage SUVs, 2011 to 2013
  • Kia Sorento SUVs, 2012 to 2014
Kia is an affiliate of Hyundai. Combined, the companies are recalling 1.19 million cars and SUVs in the United States, 114,187 in Canada and 171,348 in South Korean, safety regulators said.“The recall is related to a manufacturing process problem,” the companies said in a statement. The engines for the vehicles recalled in the U.S. were made at a Hyundai plant in Alabama.Hyundai said it would replace defective engines with new ones, with recalls scheduled to begin in late May.
View Quote
BUY AMURKA, WOO!

wait.......
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#41]
After dealing with a bad case of salmonella I'm finally back in Kia land
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
i suggested that as a possibility
the soul has a cable latched gas fill cover that could be jimmied

She will start resetting her trip odometer and calculating her mpg at every fill

it's possible she has a faulty sender 
View Quote
Probably a sender, they wear out out regularly on first gen souls
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By tyman:

BUY AMURKA, WOO!

wait.......
View Quote
Ugh, God danm it Alabama, first air pockets in connecting rods, now this? Wtf, just make all the engines in korea already if they can't get their act together.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

Ugh, God danm it Alabama, first air pockets in connecting rods, now this? Wtf, just make all the engines in korea already if they can't get their act together.
View Quote
Alabama could fuck up a 12 year old's wet dream.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#45]
so one wonders who or what on the assembly line was anoiting engine builds with extra crispy shavings?

heres what I found:
During machining of the engine crankshaft and crankpins, metal shavings may have been left within the crankshaft oil passages, and the crankpins themselves may be too rough on the edges. As a result, oil may be blocked and cause the connecting rod bearings to wear, which would then cause them to fail and seize the whole engine. 
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#46]
We just traded our 15 Sportage for a 17 Primo Package Soul. Other than LOF's, anything I should do right off the bat?

How is the Kia add on Remote Start?  Reliable?  Good range?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a 2012 KIA Soul as my EDD and I really like it. Other than doing the scheduled maintenance things it's been 100%.

I've not had a bit of trouble with it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm only driving my 2012 Soul 2.0 about 5k miles a year.  And getting oil changes every 5k.  Mostly long enough drives to get the car thoroughly warmed up.  20 to 30 minutes.  After 5.5 years I've got about 27k miles on it.  Garaged and keep the tank full(ish).

Since I'm driving less than average should I perform any service item ahead of the mileage schedule like changing the transmission fluid at 30k (6 years) instead of 60k?  Anything else based on time instead of miles?  

PS - at about 20k I had a sidewall puncture in one of the oem Nexen's.  I thought they were lacking in wet traction, harsh and noisy.  Replaced all 4 with Michelin Defenders.  Noticeable improvement in wet and dry traction.  Much quieter and better ride.   
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By MATTINFAIRBORN:
I'm only driving my 2012 Soul 2.0 about 5k miles a year.  And getting oil changes every 5k.  Mostly long enough drives to get the car thoroughly warmed up.  20 to 30 minutes.  After 5.5 years I've got about 27k miles on it.  Garaged and keep the tank full(ish).

Since I'm driving less than average should I perform any service item ahead of the mileage schedule like changing the transmission fluid at 30k (6 years) instead of 60k?  Anything else based on time instead of miles?  

PS - at about 20k I had a sidewall puncture in one of the oem Nexen's.  I thought they were lacking in wet traction, harsh and noisy.  Replaced all 4 with Michelin Defenders.  Noticeable improvement in wet and dry traction.  Much quieter and better ride.   
View Quote
I certainly would, once it hits five-years-old I do the transmission and other fluids
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#50]
If they're such great cars, why are their resale values so putrid? 
Page / 99
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top