Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/20/2017 3:19:21 PM EDT
I am seriously considering one as a daily driver (250mi a day 5x a week) how are you liking yours? how has reliability been? Anything else i should be looking at?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I read there's a kit to swap in an LS for around 10k.  Even includes the engine
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#2]
What the fuck kind of commute is that?

You'll be living in whatever car you choose, the BRZ/FRS would be way too small for me in that type of commuter situation.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds insane. 

You should do it.  

Report back. 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What the fuck kind of commute is that?

You'll be living in whatever car you choose, the BRZ/FRS would be way too small for me in that type of commuter situation.
View Quote
I'm in the car roughly 30 hours a week currently driving a 2002 Prius which is SMALL but boring it's all mountian pass driving so I'm looking for something small but FUN
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a lot of time in a car that small. Personally, I think it'd get old quick. 

I'd go with something roomier and a bit more cush, but still sporty. 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Get yourself one of these:

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm literally at the subaru dealer getting routine maintenance on my STI. I just sat in a BRZ. Way to fucking small for me and that amount of mileage per day.

You'd be better off with a new WRX Premium or along the lines of the Prius but better - Lexus CT F Sport.

I daily drive my STI and use it for work (multi-state territory). It's good but a gas hog.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Owned a 2015 FR-S.

Eh. Seriously, eh.

I traded it in on a Kia Optima Hybrid and am actually happier overall.

Maintenance interval and part costs are higher and the car is treated as a performance vehicle. Honestly though? It's pretty anemic in terms of power, it's very loud due to a lack of insulation in the cab because of weight savings, and the suspension is stiff as fuck for daily driving.

My routine commute is 48mi one way, usually 5 days a week. I usually take my motorcycle because I like the ride, but found myself taking the bike even in inclimate weather because the ride was more comfortable.

You'd wear a fucking FR-S out with your commute, it's really really not designed for that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think I would want to put 65000 miles a year on a Subaru lol

Buy a Corolla or something
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Owned a 2015 FR-S.

Eh. Seriously, eh.

Maintenance interval and part costs are higher and the car is treated as a performance vehicle. Honestly though? It's pretty anemic in terms of power, it's very loud due to a lack of insulation in the cab because of weight savings, and the suspension is stiff as fuck for daily driving.

My routine commute is 48mi one way, usually 5 days a week. I usually take my motorcycle because I like the ride, but found myself taking the bike even in inclimate weather because the ride was more comfortable.

You'd wear a fucking FR-S out with your commute, it's really really not designed for that.
View Quote
That's the kinda advice I was looking for

So if not an frs then what in the 10-15k range that's sporty? Maybe I'll make another thread tomorrow
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think I would want to put 65000 miles a year on a Subaru lol

Buy a Corolla or something
View Quote
Currently driving a Prius there's nothing wrong with it I just want something more fun
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought a 2016 brz new. Over 10k miles now, no issues. The back seats fold down, I can fit all my surf fishing equipment no problem. As for maintenance I have done two oil changes and rotated the tires. So far it's been reliable with no issues. I did 2200 miles in three days before and I never thought it was too small. It's loud when it rains but I don't think that's a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Currently driving a Prius there's nothing wrong with it I just want something more fun
View Quote
Yeah, I'm just saying Subarus aren't generally known for going 200k "maintenance free" miles. I would think you would completely wear one of those cars out in a matter of 3 years, or at least to the point of needing major drivetrain surgery.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I suggest one of these

I wanted to drive off a bridge while I had a 80 mile round trip commute in a premium level company vehicle.

I can't image how you go through life with a 1000 miles of driving unless you only work 4 hours a day.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#15]
if you're going to be commuting that far everyday, i imagine a lot of those miles will be highway miles. as such, get something with more power. if you're set on a small japanese coupe, maybe look at at a 370z too. they can be had for dirt cheap these days.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I suggest one of these

I wanted to drive off a bridge while I had a 80 mile round trip commute in a premium level company vehicle.

I can't image how you go through life with a 1000 miles of driving unless you only work 4 hours a day.
View Quote
Work 5-6 days a week we will end up moving closer if the job works out but not for a year or two it sucks but the money is good

Leave house at 5:30am back home around 730-8:00pm
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#17]
He could keep a BRZ/FRS in the trunk and take it out when he gets to his destination.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Owned a 2015 FR-S.

Eh. Seriously, eh.

View Quote
Lol, change your panties.

I daily drive one, I'm 6'7". I drive 44 miles a day, and it takes me a combined 2.5 hrs. I wear my car and love it.  And I drive it all over for fun.

Sure it could use more power. But it makes the back roads a blast.

The suspension being stiff??  Not at all.not stiff enough.   And northern CA roads suck ass.

I wish the blind spots with the B and C pillars were better. And they came with decent tires.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Um the SEL weighs about 600 lbs more with the same HP
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I think OP needs to make a thread about his commute in general. WTF!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Nailed it. BRZ needs another 125 horses badly.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I daily drive one, I'm 6'7". I drive 44 miles a day, and it takes me a combined 2.5 hrs. I wear my car and love it.  And I drive it all over for fun.

The suspension being stiff??  Not at all.not stiff enough.   And northern CA roads suck ass.

I wish the blind spots with the B and C pillars were better. And they came with decent tires.
View Quote
22 miles in 1.25 hours on twisties? That sounds like exactly what the car was designed for and would probably be pretty enjoyable for certain people. I'm not one of them. Thats an average of 17.6mph so maybe you typoed something?

Suspension made straight line driving on roads in AZ uncomfortable in comparison to a relatively mediocre sedan (Optima). Road noise was annoyingly high, this coming from someone who rides motorcycles for whatever that contrast is worth. The blind spot thing wasn't really an issue for me, but the gf bitched whenever she drove it that it was difficult to see when she was merging so I guess youve got a point there?

I'm 6'3" and 230lbs and I didn't complain about cabin size or anything so I dunno why you felt the need to state your size. At 6'7" you probably look hillarious stepping out of the little guy, I know I got comments all the time.

Either way seems weird to insult me because I didn't like the car.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#24]
You can have one:

A. Fun car.
B. Commuter car.

Commuting in a fun car is a waste. You wear the shit out of it, generally speaking when modded  you are left with a car that isn't fun to commute in. It gets annoying in traffic with your sporty car. Buy a cheap beater. Take the fun car to events or once a week for fun.

Also the FRS/BRZ miss the price point. A C5 Z06 is better in every way and almost matches cost of ownership (assuming you aren't going through engines often).
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You can have one:

A. Fun car.
B. Commuter car.

Commuting in a fun car is a waste. You wear the shit out of it, generally speaking when modded  you are left with a car that isn't fun to commute in. It gets annoying in traffic with your sporty car. Buy a cheap beater. Take the fun car to events or once a week for fun.

Also the FRS/BRZ miss the price point. A C5 Z06 is better in every way and almost matches cost of ownership (assuming you aren't going through engines often).
View Quote
Fwiw my ride is 99% mountain road driving no traffic I'm not a corvette guy the other car I was looking at was a e46 m3 but I definitely don't think it would hold up to the commute
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Been driving one daily (and flogging) for two years, no real mechanical issues.   If you want one, and like the way it drives, then buy one.  The internet hate machine surrounding this car really is hilarious.   Yes, a 3600 pound automatic front wheel drive sedan is totally equivalent, thank you random car expert.

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

22 miles in 1.25 hours on twisties? That sounds like exactly what the car was designed for and would probably be pretty enjoyable for certain people. I'm not one of them. Thats an average of 17.6mph so maybe you typoed something?

Suspension made straight line driving on roads in AZ uncomfortable in comparison to a relatively mediocre sedan (Optima). Road noise was annoyingly high, this coming from someone who rides motorcycles for whatever that contrast is worth. The blind spot thing wasn't really an issue for me, but the gf bitched whenever she drove it that it was difficult to see when she was merging so I guess youve got a point there?

I'm 6'3" and 230lbs and I didn't complain about cabin size or anything so I dunno why you felt the need to state your size. At 6'7" you probably look hillarious stepping out of the little guy, I know I got comments all the time.

Either way seems weird to insult me be pmcause I didn't like the car.
View Quote
I get the comments.  Twisties are the scenic route.   Which are a blast until u get stuck behind people.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I was looking at the FRS/BRZ at first but ended up getting a WRX.

I drove the BRZ - it was a lot of fun, but needs to stay very high in the rev range to stay peppy.

That's not a knock, just fact.  It's a go cart and handles real well.

Not sure I'd want to drive that much at one time in one though.

I enjoyed it, but ended up going with the WRX for the extra space, and the extra power.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Honda S2000 is you're not fat or maybe a Miata. 

Brz has narrow tires. It's made to slide around not stick and corner. 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fwiw my ride is 99% mountain road driving no traffic I'm not a corvette guy the other car I was looking at was a e46 m3 but I definitely don't think it would hold up to the commute
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You don't need to be a Corvette guy.

Nope. The E46 robably won't hold up. Plus maintenance sucks on BMW.

My other question before I start going through the list: is this going to be your only car?

If it is not I would go used Miata and turbo it.

Or

RX or 240sx LS swap.

Or

Classic roadster or roadster kit car.

You won't find much else down at that price range unless you are looking for some super projects to wrench on.

If you have it as a solo car I would say Mazdaspeed3, WRX Focus ST, or anything else just a few years out that doesnt hold resale. Find a good clean adult owned or know what to look for with regard to past modding.

Quoted:

BRZ comes with shit tires and rims probably because they knew that 90% of their audience is going to change them out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Jesus dude, with a 250 mile daily commute I'd take public transportation and watch netflix the whole time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My other question before I start going through the list: is this going to be your only car?

Or

RX or 240sx LS swap.

Or

You won't find much else down at that price range unless you are looking for some super projects to wrench on.

If you have it as a solo car I would say Mazdaspeed3, WRX Focus ST, or anything else just a few years out that doesnt hold resale. Find a good clean adult owned or know what to look for with regard to past modding.

BRZ comes with shit tires and rims probably because they knew that 90% of their audience is going to change them out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or

RX or 240sx LS swap.

Or

Quoted:

Just bought a set of volk  te37sl2 for mine... I'm broke now:(
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's a lot of time in a car that small. Personally, I think it'd get old quick. 

I'd go with something roomier and a bit more cush, but still sporty. 
View Quote
I agree.  From what I have read about them, maybe a Mazda 6?  Good mileage, good handling, and for 2017 Mazda was supposed to add a lot of sound insulation.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Get a Golf GTI

Better ride, better built, faster, much more practical.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Get a Golf GTI

Better ride, better built, faster, much more practical.
View Quote
You mean a Rabbit
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#36]
250 miles each day, holy shit.

My first priority would be finding a new job or new place to live.

If I absolutely had to do that commute I'd get a manual Acura TSX.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Screw the BRZ, you need to move.

250 miles a day?!?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not my only car I will still be driving the Prius

For everyone else I can't move for at least a year or two and there is no public transport options and I really don't want a boring car because I have one of those already

I am a competent mechanic and have a shit load of tools
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not my only car I will still be driving the Prius

For everyone else I can't move for at least a year or two and there is no public transport options and I really don't want a boring car because I have one of those already

I am a competent mechanic and have a shit load of tools
View Quote
Go nuts then.

MR2 Turbo.
FC RX7 with engine swap of your choice.
Etc
etc
etc

At this point I would start trolling Craigslist or race car or obscure car groups.

My only caveat would be that if you choose an older car make sure you can source major parts. Also, if you are going to put a set of serious tires on like R888 or Pilot Sports I would suggest a smaller light car that doesn't need big tires. They wear fast. I threw on a set of Pole Position SP-04's and they are about 90% of the former two for half the price.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#40]
That distance driving daily, Id want diesel 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for posting the most stupid shit on the internet today. Good job.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#43]
The brz is a fun car but it really needs a turbo to be what it should. 370z is something I'd look at, or if you want better mpg a gti is really fun for fwd
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#44]
are you looking for rear wheel drive, Front wheel drive or all wheel drive? Stick or auto?    

For 10 grand or under I'd buy a used Acura RSX type S with a 6 speed manual. Dead nuts reliable and handles well and has a huge aftermarket support if you wish to upgrade.  

A VW GTI with the 2.0 Turbo engine would be another fun blaster. 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am seriously considering one as a daily driver (250mi a day 5x a week) how are you liking yours? how has reliability been? Anything else i should be looking at?
View Quote
... four hours per day commuting? 
Dang, God Bless you
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
are you looking for rear wheel drive, Front wheel drive or all wheel drive? Stick or auto?    

For 10 grand or under I'd buy a used Acura RSX type S with a 6 speed manual. Dead nuts reliable and handles well and has a huge aftermarket support if you wish to upgrade.  

A VW GTI with the 2.0 Turbo engine would be another fun blaster. 
View Quote
I want rwd and a stick shift

I could probably be talked into the right awd/fwd car

If I buy the brz (or anything) I will modify it so stock power dosent scare me off
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Get a newer Prius...

As a fellow owner, you will not find a car more appropriate for your commute, perhaps except for the grades you might be pulling.  They do one thing well, it's not track day, it's not curves, it's not drag racing, it's not Bonneville, it's not impressing the chicks, it's not impressing dudes...  It's doing long/traffic choked commutes with a light load, and being trouble free doing it.

With that commute, you need an appliance.  I only do ~50 miles a day on weekdays and about 450 miles about half the weekends of the year (going to the OBX) and I really don't like using my 4Runner for the trips...
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#48]
I had a 2016 FR-S. I sold it for what I paid minus tax and will probably buy the better equipped BRZ. It gets better gas mileage, too - or so they claim.

Edited to add: While it isn't a $70k Vette or Hellcat, if you keep it in "Sport" mode, your drive will be anything but boring. It's like driving a go kart and it really is one of the funnest cars I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I want rwd and a stick shift

I could probably be talked into the right awd/fwd car

If I buy the brz (or anything) I will modify it so stock power dosent scare me off
View Quote
High altitude driving? Ecoboost mustang. 30 mpg, 300 hp, manual or auto trans.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree 100%...the suspension on my FR-S sucked balls. Along with a turbo, a new suspension was gonna get installed. But, I found a Tacoma at a helluva a steal, so I sold the FR-S and got it. I'll get a BRZ next, probably. I do like the Challenger, though.....decisions, decisions.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top