Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:00:58 AM EDT
[#1]
This happened a few years ago, in the small town I was living in.

Minor drug deal went sour, I believe it was a pot transfer, and left the buyer feeling like he was ripped off in a major way. Buyer secures a wooden club and knocks on the door of the dealer's apartment, attacking the seller when he answered. A serious struggle ensued, during which the seller produced a knife and stabbed the club wielder multiple times. The buyer broke off contact and staggered to the apartment complex parking lot, where he bled out.

In my opinion, it was two idiots colliding, but I thought the guy in the apartment had a right to defend himself, drug deal not withstanding. The powers that be thought otherwise, and the stabber was convicted of murder.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've told it before on here. I got jumped by 3 guys I knew when I was 15 and stuck one of them puncturing his lung and somehow cut his forearm. I was charged with a whole paragraph of offences but when I went to court it was determined by the judge that it was self defense and dismissed. I still sometimes relive it in my dreams and it's been 35 years.
View Quote

Mine was very similar. Without going into too much detail...

I was 16 with some friends at a Movie Theater and was approached by 3 people who were known to me (but not my friends), After the usual pleasantries were exchanged ("give me yo money and car honkey/cracker" // "GFY COC") I was attacked (I was the "rich kid" because my dad owned a business and I worked there as much as possible). My "friends" bailed (to get help presumptively) It was not going well and I went down where the beating continued, it was at that point I was able to get my pocket knife out and stabbed some/all/one of them randomly, as well as cut myself (remember I was getting "the boots"), they fled, without my money or my car.

After my friends returned with "Security" and later the Police I gave a Statement and photos were taken and I went to the ER, cracked ribs, busted lip, two black eyes, deep cut in my hand, and lost a tooth. But, I lucked out and none of the 3 would speak to the Police apparently. I never was caught up in the court system or anything. I guess I didn't cut them as good as I wanted too, but there was blood at the scene, and I remember them screaming and cursing when I got the knife out (previously it was just cursing).

I guess I got lucky.

Broke the Knife too (it was a cheapie, green about 3 inches, skeletonized handle with thumbstud). This was 15 years ago give or take. Its funny, I can still remember a lot of little things about it.

Certainly made my senior year interesting, all my friends were convinced the bloods or something were going to assassinate me after school, since these guys were wannabe gangsters/drug users/dealers. They stayed away after that except for the usual "mean mugging" and "finger guns".

Dad got me a better knife (Buck 110, he got a guy to braze/attach a thumbstud/bar to it) the next day and drank my first beer with me and we talked about a lot.

We didn't pursue it further, because we knew nothing would have been done to them and I just wanted it to go away as much  as it could have.

I still carry a knife, right now its a Kershaw Blur, wished I would have gotten a ZT350 when they went on clearance.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If I had more time, I would tell you the full story, but there I was in a vacant lot in Laredo, knee-deep in broken bottles, with 14 crazy meth cooking bank robbing cartel soldiers closing in around me with AKs and M16s, and all I had was my Randall number 1.  Was I scared?  Damn right I was scared!

Scared some of them might get away.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw a clip on discovery channel or youtube or something like a year ago about knife fighting.  They got two SEALs or some manner of SF guys, don't remember exactly, highly trained in hand-to-hand and had them go at it with paint-edged training knives.  Most highly trained guys out there, and it devolves into wild blind stabbing in half a second.  They did three rounds and both were dead in all of them.  I already knew movies and TV are fantasy, but I figured there was SOME manner of truth to weaponed martial arts.

I do wonder what highly trained vs. completely untrained would look like though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here is the story about a guy that used a karambit to defend himself.You can google his name for the news reports at the tie.

SNIP

Thanks for the post.  The kid's fortunate his dad knew how effective a karambit is.   He has the same Fox karambit I have for EDC for the past few years.  If it wasn't for the dumbass cops and prosecutors he wouldn't have gone through a year of crap and a trial on top of that.  And how about the state having to pay his atty fees.  Ha.
eta:  read the news report.  Jarred eviscerated that dumb ass with his karambit,  part of his intestine was hanging out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This happened a few years ago, in the small town I was living in.

Minor drug deal went sour, I believe it was a pot transfer, and left the buyer feeling like he was ripped off in a major way. Buyer secures a wooden club and knocks on the door of the dealer's apartment, attacking the seller when he answered. A serious struggle ensued, during which the seller produced a knife and stabbed the club wielder multiple times. The buyer broke off contact and staggered to the apartment complex parking lot, where he bled out.

In my opinion, it was two idiots colliding, but I thought the guy in the apartment had a right to defend himself, drug deal not withstanding. The powers that be thought otherwise, and the stabber was convicted of murder.
View Quote

Agreed.
A local 16 yo shot an aggressor in the gut here about 8 years back
Aggressor was a dealer who travelled 20 miles to threaten the  teen in his house when he was home with his 10 yo brother.
Aggressor was throwing threats, was told to leave, then tried to push through the front door, and got shot.
I saw that as justified.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I got jumped by 3 disadvantaged youths when I was 17-18.
They had a knife I didn't. They triangulated me and the 1 in front took a high horizontal swipe at me and I jerked my head back.
Right then the cops skidded up and everyone ran, myself included. (Don't know why I did I just did)
When I got to the party I was walking to I related the story to a group of friends and how I almost got cut.
A girl looked at me and said you did get cut. I went and looked in a mirror and had about a 6" scratch across my throat. It was just deep enough for a couple of blood droplets to run down about an inch and dry.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Serious question here...how often does that happen? Not the getting robbed part, but the "I pulled out my weapon and they all ran" part. Is it a case of bullies being bullies, or are they just not used to someone defending themselves?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
July 2007, after having a tractor trailer hit my car on the tail of the dragon, and finding out my grandmother went in to the hospital, i headed back home.

12 hour drive, 1 speeding ticket, and another warning and i was home.  It is 12;30am and I exited my car with all my crap from the trip.

I walk up to the entrance of my apartment building, 3 bigger than me yutes standing outside the entrance.  

I say "how ya doing" and they ask for my wallet, i said excuse me ?!  Before i knew it one guy got behind me, hit me int he back of the head and snatched my glasses.

At this point i whipped out my Benchmade AFCK (still carry it today), they saw me blade at 45 degrees and all three of them took off running.

Being tired, frustrated, and not giving a damn can help a guy overcome a lot.

What'd the cops have to say?

Serious question here...how often does that happen? Not the getting robbed part, but the "I pulled out my weapon and they all ran" part. Is it a case of bullies being bullies, or are they just not used to someone defending themselves?

They're usually looking for minimal effort, maximum yield, someone fighting back means they're less likely to get anything and more likely to get caught or injured.   Especially with knives, knives are seen as much more up close and personal.

Back in my freshman year of college, I played intramural football on an Army ROTC team, one of the other cadets was dropping me off at my dorm at about midnight after our game.  I'd just bought an aircrew survival knife at clothing sales the previous weekend and showed it to him in the car, so it was in the top of my book bag as I was walking to the dorm door.  Two of the locals, who were NOT supposed to be inside the fence line, got up from a bench and approached me, opening a Buck-type knife and asking if I wanted to buy it as a pretext for getting closer to me.  Having just shown my knife to my buddy, I was able to just reach in the top of the bag and pull it out, responding with "No thanks, I've got one."  Their eyes widened as big as saucers, and one of them said "Sheeit, man, that ain't no knife, that's a fucking dagger!" at which point they chose to exit the scene rapidly.   The joys of living in a dorm that was built as part of the ORIGINAL government housing project, since demolished as part of the '96 Olympics construction.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They're usually looking for minimal effort, maximum yield, someone fighting back means they're less likely to get anything and more likely to get caught or injured.   Especially with knives, knives are seen as much more up close and personal.

Back in my freshman year of college, I played intramural football on an Army ROTC team, one of the other cadets was dropping me off at my dorm at about midnight after our game.  I'd just bought an aircrew survival knife at clothing sales the previous weekend and showed it to him in the car, so it was in the top of my book bag as I was walking to the dorm door.  Two of the locals, who were NOT supposed to be inside the fence line, got up from a bench and approached me, opening a Buck-type knife and asking if I wanted to buy it as a pretext for getting closer to me.  Having just shown my knife to my buddy, I was able to just reach in the top of the bag and pull it out, responding with "No thanks, I've got one."  Their eyes widened as big as saucers, and one of them said "Sheeit, man, that ain't no knife, that's a fucking dagger!" at which point they chose to exit the scene rapidly.   The joys of living in a dorm that was built as part of the ORIGINAL government housing project, since demolished as part of the '96 Olympics construction.
View Quote

LOL
That's some Crocodile Dundee shit right there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I took some martial arts training from a guy who worked as a professional bouncer, had been a pro boxer, and generally led a rough and tumble life.  He had good advice and of course shared stories from bouncing.  His guidance to me was that when a gun came out, people may or may not get shot, because people are bad shots and people miss all the time, and he'd seen it.  But when a knife comes out, someone is going to get cut.  Just as sure as you're born.  His best advice for a knife fight was to run as fast as you could if you could, and to shoot the guy with the knife if you could.  The last thing you ever wanted to do was get in close with a knife.  Good advice I think.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Wasn't there a long thread here in the last year or two where an Arfcommer defended himself with a knife from a belligerent in a hotel hallway? Something about this guy beating on an ex in the hallway outside his room door.

If I remember right he had to stab the guy a couple of times before dude realized OP had a knife.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Techwood!
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Techwood!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Techwood!
Yep.  Bullet holes in the walls and all.

One of my classmates was competing in the Ranger Challenge, which meant he was issued all of the equipment he needed, including a "rubber duck" M16A1.  As he was heading to the ROTC department early in the morning to head to the competition, one of the locals on the corner there at North Avenue asked him "Is that real?"  He responded with "What do you think?"  The locals response was "Sheeit, alls I gots is a sawed-off!". 

Was NOT happy the time I was walking past in BDU's while an APD officer was holding four urban youth in a car at gunpoint, watching him hit his mag release on his Smith and Wesson 9mm, with the magazine disconnect, and instead of pulling a spare off his belt, he was kneeling down groping for the one on the ground.  I just KNEW they were going to kill him and then kill me as possibly being another cop.  Also got asked by a local in the Wendy's that was right there if I was a Red Dog, since I was in BDU's, that was another fun experience...  I had my own 9mm when I returned to campus the next year, after those enlightening experiences.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I did, that was a mistake too, she was trouble. Any pics I had are long since gone, this was two decades and two wives ago.
View Quote

I like the cut of your jib, matey....
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:29:47 AM EDT
[#16]
This is what happens when one guy has a knife during a fight and we didn't.  I was there ( testified in first case...which is a whole another addition to this story), but fortunately not one of the victims.  He attacked most of my fraternity brothers from behind.  I'll write up the details when I get a chance.

Why you should carry
View Quote
"A Friday night before a big home football game, many of the fraternities over there were having different parties with live entertainment or whatever. Anytime you have that, you have a large crowd attracted to those fraternities," said Capt. Tom Stofer, Auburn Police Department.According to reports, an unidentified man shouted "Roll Tide" at Phi Kappa Tau fraternity students around 12:30 CST Saturday morning. A fight then broke out, with the man pulling out a knife and stabbing people."We had, I believe, seven patients come in from the incident at the university. We had three that were admitted into the hospital," said John Atkinson, East Alabama Medical Center.Those injured are identified as David Atlee, 19; James Sanders, 21; Travis Sewell, 18; Ryan Penso, 22; Kyle Novicki, 18; Dustin Sheffield, 20 and Brian Gambina, 23.One of those three still in the hospital is Gambina."He is in fair condition, that being Gambina. The other two declined to have their condition released," said Atkinson.Auburn police say the victims should all be okay, and they're close to catching the stabber."We believe at this point we've identified the suspect, and warrants are pending in the case. We anticipate making an arrest shortly in the case," said Stofer.Captain Stofer said the neighborhood around the frat houses has a history of some violence in the past, but not recently. If you have any more information concerning this stabbing, you are asked to call the Auburn Police Department at (334)501-3140."
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:45:05 AM EDT
[#17]
For God's sake don't let your attacker know you have a knife until it's in him. Blade ( no pun intended) and shield the knife from view. That way by the time the attacker realizes he's dealing with a knife wielding victim he will already have one or more stab wounds.

I had shown the knife I had to the 3 attackers a few minutes before, trying to deescalate the situation, but they saw me fold it and put it back in the holster as I walked away. What they didn't see is when I went around a corner and the knife came back out and got opened and slid into my pocket with the handle sticking out so I could grab it if needed. What saved me in court was the fact that I had shown the knife before and told them to leave me alone. Because they still pursued me it was determined to be self defense.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:10:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Middle school, out wandering around the neighborhood with a friend in the early evening like usual and three high school kids approach and start calling us kids, then talking about how they're going to beat us up and take our watches and wallets (oh joy, a 1980s Pulsar digital and a nylon/velcro wallet that probably had no money in it knowing me ), etc.  My buddy starts to walk away and I pulled out an inexpensive fixed blade hunting knife and told them they weren't going to do any such thing.  They kind of laughed and backed away before walking away.  We went and told my buddy's dad who grabbed his pistol and went looking for them but they'd already split I guess.  Working EMS I've had a couple of knives pulled on me but the only time I pulled mine was when a drunk in a shelter pulled out a sharpened dinner knife (homeless steal the metal dinner knives then sharpen them on the concrete); I pulled out a Benchmade Bali-Song, whipped it around a few times to show him I knew how to handle it and he did the "aw man, I'm just kidding thing" and dropped his knife.  He got arrested, I did a no transport form and that was that.  

My martial arts instructor was a former SEAL (honest to God- had the paperwork, pictures, everything) and I took some weapons classes with him as well.  He always said that if two people who had any idea what they were doing got into a knife fight that one was going to the morgue and the other to the hospital and the one in the hospital might end up in the morgue.  During my time in EMS and having lived and traveled in SE Asia I don’t have any reason to doubt that.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I was a senior in high school when I opened a guy up with a filet knife . He tried to pull me out of the car and it was under the seat . He got 76 stitches and a tetanus shot and a lesson .
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I once let the air out of a dog that was attacking my dog.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I saw a clip on discovery channel or youtube or something like a year ago about knife fighting.  They got two SEALs or some manner of SF guys, don't remember exactly, highly trained in hand-to-hand and had them go at it with paint-edged training knives.  Most highly trained guys out there, and it devolves into wild blind stabbing in half a second.  They did three rounds and both were dead in all of them.  I already knew movies and TV are fantasy, but I figured there was SOME manner of truth to weaponed martial arts.

I do wonder what highly trained vs. completely untrained would look like though.
View Quote
LOL. Seals are the most highly trained knife fighters out there?

How much training do you think a SEAL does in fighting with a knife?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My martial arts instructor was a former SEAL (honest to God- had the paperwork, pictures, everything) and I took some weapons classes with him as well.  He always said that if two people who had any idea what they were doing got into a knife fight that one was going to the morgue and the other to the hospital and the one in the hospital might end up in the morgue.  During my time in EMS and having lived and traveled in SE Asia I don’t have any reason to doubt that.  
View Quote

I've heard it said many times that the only diffence between the winner and the loser of a knife fight is where they die.

One will die at the fight, the other at the hospital. Nasty business. I'd rather avoid it altogether.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a long thread here in the last year or two where an Arfcommer defended himself with a knife from a belligerent in a hotel hallway? Something about this guy beating on an ex in the hallway outside his room door.

If I remember right he had to stab the guy a couple of times before dude realized OP had a knife.
View Quote
Yeah. NWred. He's a good dude.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Friend from high school left a bar, followed by three people that apparently didn't like him. All three attacked him, he pulled out a knife and ended up stabbing one to death. Plenty of witnesses that said he was defending himself. Still charged with murder and went to trial. Not guilty. Great and all, but still cost him a lot to defend against the charge. He thinks had he shot the guy, he would likely not have been charged as he was. Using a knife is seen as more of a "hands on" thing I guess.
View Quote
How many times did your friend have to stab his attacker?

I listened to a P&S podcast with a guy who used a knife for self defense.

In his story he said that he had to stab the guy around 20 times before he was no longer a threat.

That was used against him in court, with the attorney trying to argue that it was excessive force.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've heard it said many times that the only diffence between the winner and the loser of a knife fight is where they die.

One will die at the fight, the other at the hospital. Nasty business. I'd rather avoid it altogether.
View Quote
also, the winner of the knife fight will generally be the meaner dude with the highest tolerance for pain and the sight of blood.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I've pulled a few on charging dogs. No idea why, but the sight of the knife (but more realistically my obvious willingness to use it) caused the charges to stop.

I recently used mine to bust the windows in a roll over accident and pull the guy out of the car. He was freaking out but I have a nice german knife with glass breaker velcroed inside my window, grabbed it and went to work. those glass breakers work but I'd advise you wrap your hand/wrist if you're going to use them.

That guy was happy to have one handy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In his story he said that he had to stab the guy around 20 times before he was no longer a threat.

That was used against him in court, with the attorney trying to argue that it was excessive force.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Friend from high school left a bar, followed by three people that apparently didn't like him. All three attacked him, he pulled out a knife and ended up stabbing one to death. Plenty of witnesses that said he was defending himself. Still charged with murder and went to trial. Not guilty. Great and all, but still cost him a lot to defend against the charge. He thinks had he shot the guy, he would likely not have been charged as he was. Using a knife is seen as more of a "hands on" thing I guess.

It was only once or twice, as he was also dealing with two other guys and didn't have time to stab him 20 times. This was 30+ years ago now, I don't recall ever hearing exactly where he stabbed the guy or how many times and I never asked him.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It was only once or twice, as he was also dealing with two other guys and didn't have time to stab him 20 times. This was 30+ years ago now, I don't recall ever hearing exactly where he stabbed the guy or how many times and I never asked him.
View Quote
Gotcha, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not telling the whole story here. My 1st wife stabbed a guy who knows how many times with a pocket knife ,as he tried to pull her out of my car by her hair.  I told her to lock the door but she went in her purse for the knife instead. I was kind of busy with 3 other guys at the time. The next morning when I walked up to my car there was blood all over both sides.  A trip to the car wash fixed that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thankfully I've never needed to pull a knife but just reaching for a handgun ended what looked a lot like the start of a robbery to me. That guy did a 180 and was out of there when he saw me reach for the gun.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Did this happen in in Kill Devil Hills, NC?
View Quote
Damn, off subject but I just left there after being there a week. Weather sucked until yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I know of a guy that got cut up pretty good. Him and two friends were leaving a dance hall in College Station and saw some dude beating his old lady. They tried to put a stop to it and the guy pulled a knife on them. The one guy that got cut was in bad shape. They threw him the back seat of a truck and hauled him to the hospital. He nearly died from blood loss and the guy that cut him wasn't charged, because it was considered self defense against multiple attackers.
They said that it looked like gallons of blood in the floor board of that truck after they got him to the ER.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Not sure how much this applies to self defense but a guy I worked with for several years stabbed a guy pretty good in the leg with a pocket knife.  He had 3 or 4 guys start whooping up on him and he went to the floor.  He said he grabbed one the legs that was kicking him and he stabbed it and started sawing away.

The other half of the story was the guy getting his butt kicked shot up one of the other guys car about a month before that with a shotgun.  Kind of premeditated from both parties in my opinion.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top