Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2017 4:10:50 PM EDT
My wife and I are recently retired. We would like to fly to Boston and then travel by car to D.C. then fly home to Wa. state..Need to know the best routes for some sight seeing, lots of ocean views,museums to see in D.C. Will probably not stop in Manhatten as it looks like a cluster f%$k..Which airport to fly home from in D.C.?..Must see's in D.C.?  thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Need to add CA, NY/NJ to complete your shit state tour. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you coming through RI? Would you like sea food or range recommendations?

My first duty station was in DC. Do some research on 8th&I. Worth seeing, shaking the hand of the Marine at the front gate.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fast way is 95 and the NJ turnpike but there will be few ocean views and you will hate the part of the journey that is in New York (state).

If I had the time I would go more of a backroads route up through NH, Vermont, upstate NY, Pennsylvania, MD (avoiding Baltimore), and into DC.
View Quote

I'd rather just stay north of MA forever. That would be a long road trip though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have any interest in military history,visit Battleship Cove in Fall River,MA on your way south.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread will help you in DC:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_24/557064_Official--So-You-re-Visiting-NOVA-DC-Thread.html

I can also give you some advice in Maryland.  It is possible to go from southern NJ down through Delaware and the MD on the coast.  You can also take a car ferry from southern NJ (Cape May) to Delaware. Once at Ocean City, MD it is a 2.5 hour drive to DC or Baltimore.  

Since you will be so close, why not stop in Philly as well?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Take the 'back roads' .
Route 9 thru NJ to the Cape May Ferry then route 17 or 301 thru Delaware and do the Chesapeake bridge tunnel.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Hit Pepe's pizza in new haven, Ct on the ride by.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Manhattan really isn't bad at all to negotiate and it is fun to see things like Time's Square at night,the Statue of Liberty and going up the Empire State Building.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Lol, if you're going come all that way don't bypass NY. Outside of GD it is one of the greatest cities in the world.

If you've both already been, then sure, go right around.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]
FPNI.. coming from WA you really aren't trying to get away from liberal America.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lol, if you're going come all that way don't bypass NY. Outside of GD it is one of the greatest cities in the world.
View Quote
This.  Even if you didn't want to drive into / park in Manhattan, you can take the NY Waterway from NJ.  At a minimum, you should take a boat from NJ to Ellis Island and Liberty Island.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hit Pepe's pizza in new haven, Ct on the ride by.
View Quote

Has been. Jumped the shark

Sally's or Modern

ETA

Stay the fuvk of 95. It's a parking lot.

Take 81. Hit the battlefields in PA. Shit. Go all the way into VA then head east.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This thread will help you in DC:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_24/557064_Official--So-You-re-Visiting-NOVA-DC-Thread.html

I can also give you some advice in Maryland.  It is possible to go from southern NJ down through Delaware and the MD on the coast.  You can also take a car ferry from southern NJ (Cape May) to Delaware. Once at Ocean City, MD it is a 2.5 hour drive to DC or Baltimore.  

Since you will be so close, why not stop in Philly as well?
View Quote

I came to post this.

Center City Philadelphia and the Old City section is LOADED with history.  Anyone from the left coast that doesn't see it is really missing out.  Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross house are all within walking distance from each other.  I know there is more but I'm having a brain fart right now. It's been a long day at work

One of the greatest, private and historic race car collection in the world is in South Philly, very close to the airport, called the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum. Dr. Simeone operated on my wife's back twice.  I think I bought one of those fancy cars for him.

ETA: Just over the bridge (literally) is Camden NJ.  Yes, it's basically a total shithole but the Battleship New Jersey is there and a very good aquarium.  Relatively safe there, just don't wander INTO the city.  Stay at/near those attractions and you are safe.  

I'm 20 minutes south of Camden and would consider meeting you there if you wanted to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top