Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay; I let the PB Blaster set for a few hours, and came back to it with my wrench and a 8" inch pipe over it for maximum results.  

GOOD NEWS!!!
Left hub bolts are all off, and the hub is off.
Right hub bolts are all of, except for one.... However it's now loose, and about 1/16th to 1/8th off.

BAD NEWS
that last f#cking bolt, that is 1/16th to 1/8th off, somehow just had its 12 point threading strip  

So the bolt is sorta loose... but now the T12 threading in it is stripped....  Now what?

Photo of stripped bolt
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Breaker bar w/6' pipe.
View Quote

Far too likely to twist the head off or round the hex. Then you're drilling the bolt out which isn't fun. At that point hopefully you've got a tap on hand or else you're probably going to have to order one. Had that happen more than once.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Okay; I let the PB Blaster set for a few hours, and came back to it with my wrench and a 8" inch pipe over it for maximum results.  

GOOD NEWS!!!
Right hub bolts are all of, except for one.... However it's now loose, and about 1/16th to 1/8th off.

BAD NEWS
that last f#cking bolt, that is 1/16th to 1/8th off, somehow just had its 12 point threading strip  

So the bolt is sorta loose... but now the T12 threading in it is stripped....  Now what?
View Quote

Congrats!!!

Vice grips on the bolt
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]
sell it.

I wouldn't wish hub replacement on my worst enemy.  I replaced hubs on all 4 corners of a saturn vue.  Saved a ton of money, but man it took a lot of time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

GOOD NEWS!!!

BAD NEWS

Photo of stripped bolt
http://www.nextdayauto.com/auto_images/genuine/2008-volkswagen-passat-axle-hub-mounting-bolt-rear-front-genuine-w0133-1960385-2928149.jpg
View Quote

Is it a   torx recess screw,  like this,

or a male Torx bolt, like this

or a 12 point bolt head, as in takes a regular 12 socket ?

And when you say 1/16 to 1/8 off, do you mean ratio to length, or 1/16" to 1/8" gap under head?

ETA - never mind - didn't see the photo you posted.

I would just weld a nut over it, and quietly back it out, but i'm assuming you do not have welding equipment.

Maybe smash a Torx bit into the recess, using a big hammer to sort of broach its way into it.

Maybe add some heat, get the head and shaft red, LET IT COOL, TOTALLY, try vise grips on it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Reapply PB (or ATF)  and work it in and out. 

ETA: If you must use vicegrips really clamp them down and/or consider filing a couple of flats on the head so you don't just rip the head apart.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Vice grips if you can get them on. If you can't fit vice grips you can use these little guys (they've saved my ass a few times, this weekend recently when changing a manifold and rounded a nut), http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bolt-extractors/5-pc-bolt-grip-expansion-set
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]
google "boltout" I have used that tool more than I can say

screw extractor style

around the outter head style

works great with an impact
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Stuck bolts usually respond better to impact than to a huge slow twist

sometimes banging the wrench with a lump hammer will pop a bolt loose

but if you put a breaker bar on it and put a huge twist on it, it strips or the head twists off the bolt
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Stuck bolts usually respond better to impact than to a huge slow twist

sometimes banging the wrench with a lump hammer will pop a bolt loose

but if you put a breaker bar on it and put a huge twist on it, it strips or the head twists off the bolt
View Quote

This whole quote BUT smacking the shit out of it a cougple of time is important rather than torque.  

Nice tool for this issue is an impact driver set.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-Hand-Impact-Tool/dp/B0002NYDRG?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=vglnk-c102-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0002NYDRG
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had 40-60 results with screw extractor kits. You tap a hole into the screw. Then, screw in the screw extractor counter-clockwise. It gets tighter then more you turn it. 
I had a screw extractor break in the hole. I ended up drilling the screw extractor out and the bolt itself with a drill. I kept of drilling with larger drill bits until the bolt was thinned out so I could use a screwdriver to bang out the remaining material of the bolt. This method worked and is like shaving down a log to make a toothpick.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've had 40-60 results with screw extractor kits. You tap a hole into the screw. Then, screw in the screw extractor counter-clockwise. It gets tighter then more you turn it. 
I had a screw extractor break in the hole. I ended up drilling the screw extractor out and the bolt itself with a drill. I kept of drilling with larger drill bits until the bolt was thinned out so I could use a screwdriver to bang out the remaining material of the bolt. This method worked and is like shaving down a log to make a toothpick.
View Quote

Not an experienced mechanic but I've had little luck trying to drill out a screw or bolt.  Seems like the ones I break are some hardened steel that does not drill easily.  

What do you do with hardened steel bolts/studs?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not an experienced mechanic but I've had little luck trying to drill out a screw or bolt.  Seems like the ones I break are some hardened steel that does not drill easily.  

View Quote
Nitrided or cobalt drills or an end mill.  Hardened stuff can also be fractured.  

Get out that hot wrench and get to it!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

BAD NEWS

Photo of stripped bolt
http://www.nextdayauto.com/auto_images/genuine/2008-volkswagen-passat-axle-hub-mounting-bolt-rear-front-genuine-w0133-1960385-2928149.jpg
View Quote

I recently had the same problem. I drilled out the bolt head enough to hammer the next larger T-socket into the hole. The bolt easily came out probably because of the heat from drilling and the release of tension from the hole.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Old school is milk of magnesia (sp), old timèr showed me that trick when trying to remove broken tie bars from 240 ton presses, takes a couple of days but it does wonders.
View Quote
Never used it for that. I have heard of it used in a pinch as anti-seize.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Weld a nut on the end.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#19]
The project, is on postpone, until tomorrow.  

Until then, 3 beers to lick my wounds with.  I'm not sure why anyone would hire a mechanic.  This type of work is too fulfilling.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

GOOD NEWS!!!

BAD NEWS

Photo of stripped bolt
View Quote

LOL

thats a triple square, not a torx.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
google "boltout" I have used that tool more than I can say

screw extractor style

around the outter head style

works great with an impact
View Quote

yeah don't do that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Heat, then heat, and if that doesn't work, heat.

Penetrating oils (PB, Kroil, Acetone/ATF) seldom if ever work for me. Tried and tried, success rate just sucks, so I go right to heat.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Induction heater in the top 5 "Tools I thought I'd never use but cannot live without now" list.

Rarely used, but when it's needed, it's needed, a torch isn't the same.
View Quote

At one time I saw a DIY induction heater specifically built for things like stuck bolts.    But I didn't save the link.     Google only seems to return general-purpose devices with a jumbo coil that won't fit into tight spaces.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#24]
If you can't get vice grips on it see if you can cut a slot in it with a dremel tool and screw it in and out with lots of oil on the threads.  Gotta make sure you don't strip the head.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#25]
If you have ample access around the head of the bolt then I would consider using a dremel to grind a couple flats on the head of the bolt and use an open ended wrench on it to remove it.

ETA:

Since your calling it a night liberally apply some more PB Blaster to let it work it's magic overnight.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#26]
The oil that creeps
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought some sockets that bite into the bolt.  Has reverse thread.  Got them off Amazon.  Dont remember the brand but they saved my ass.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Until then, 3 beers to lick my wounds with.  I'm not sure why anyone would hire a mechanic.  This type of work is too fulfilling.
View Quote

Good idea.  I did shocks on my truck this weekend.

The 2 passenger side came right off, done with both in 10-15 minutes each.  Both driver's side were a royal PITA.   Rear had a stripped nut on the upper mount that I walked away from for a night and pondered my strategy (eventually used vice grips), and the front ultimately required a cut off wheel.  Each time walking away probably saved me from making the situation much worse.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Try some valve grinding compound,,, It might give you just enough grip..
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#30]
One of the manual impact wrenches may be handy. Easier to not strip fasteners of that style.

Maybe cut a slot into the bolt and take a flat head to it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Sucks -- good luck getting that last bolt out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Dont know if its been posted yet or not, but wax is amazing penetrant.

Heat the area AROUND the bolt to expand it a bit, then wipe the wax where the bolt goes in, wax aucks in and lubricates, remove bolt while everything is still warm.

Any kind of wax will do, i hear candle wax is best, but i got by using some dental wax

Not shitting you either. Used it on stuck exhaust manifold bolts on a 3406 CAT 2 weeks ago (2 were broke to begin with and needed drilling, the other 10 got waxed)

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:36:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm a do-it-yourself car maintenance, minor repair grease monkey, not a professional mechanic. 
No, they don't drill easily. I just buy a drill bit for metal and start drilling. Go from smaller bits to larger bits.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:42:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:51:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Cut the head off and leave the stud in the old hub assy
Get new bolts
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:53:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The 2 passenger side came right off, done with both in 10-15 minutes each.  Both driver's side were a royal PITA.   Rear had a stripped nut on the upper mount that I walked away from for a night and pondered my strategy (eventually used vice grips), and the front ultimately required a cut off wheel.  Each time walking away probably saved me from making the situation much worse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sawzall with long metal cutting blade
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:55:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A quality cobalt bit is best--with lube and turned slowly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a do-it-yourself car maintenance, minor repair grease monkey, not a professional mechanic. 
No, they don't drill easily. I just buy a drill bit for metal and start drilling. Go from smaller bits to larger bits.
A quality cobalt bit is best--with lube and turned slowly.
reverse drill bits are what you need
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:58:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Try to walk the bolt out with a chisel before drilling on it. Drilling on it should be your last resort. If you do have to drill go slow. The cheaper easyouts with the steeper pitch flutes are usually better at backing bolts out than the shorter ones.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:29:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For the OP, yes.  But that's not what I was addressing.  Ideally one would have a set of left-hand cobalt bits, but I don't know if they are made (I would guess they are).  
View Quote

Was wondering about that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:00:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have broken a tap off in a hole before.

Now, I have never done it, but if you have the equipment, use a hammer drill set to just hammer, and chuck up a carbide hammer drill bit in it.

Supposedly, the harder carbide causes the hardened steel tap to shatter.

Supposedly...
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:11:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:53:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Read the wax on, wax off portion about half way down.  It works pretty well.

http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/education/the-art-of-removing-stuck-nuts-and-bolts/
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:25:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

GOOD NEWS!!!

BAD NEWS

Photo of stripped bolt
View Quote

What ever happened with the whole your property line/neighbors property line dispute thing? This thread reminded me of that thread, but I've been gone for a while.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:13:03 AM EDT
[#45]
these should help
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you can't get vice grips on it see if you can cut a slot in it with a dremel tool and screw it in and out with lots of oil on the threads.  Gotta make sure you don't strip the head.
View Quote

This is what I've always done. Cut a slot in it and use a flat head.

If that strips, break out an EZ out or if you have a welder you can weld a bolt to it and hope the heating/cooling of welding helps break it loose.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#47]
UPDATE!!

I bought a bolt extractor,drilled the hole into the bolt and put the bolt extractor in it.  The damn thing is tore up my tap wrench, so I'm now using a crescent wrench.  With some muscle, I can get it to seized bolt wiggle some, but it's not threading out.  

Because the bolt extractor seems pretty torqued in there when I crank on it, I'm going to go to the heat wax method for the rusted threading that I think it's having a hard time feeding through the threaded hole and is the bane of my existence. I'm also going to get a pipe to stick over my crescent wrench to give me some more leverage.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
UPDATE!!

I bought a bolt extractor,drilled the hole into the bolt and put the bolt extractor in it.  The damn thing is tore up my tap wrench, so I'm now using a crescent wrench.  With some muscle, I can get it to seized bolt wiggle some, but it's not threading out.  

Because the bolt extractor seems pretty torqued in there when I crank on it, I'm going to go to the heat wax method for the rusted threading that I think it's having a hard time feeding through the threaded hole and is the bane of my existence. I'm also going to get a pipe to stick over my crescent wrench to give me some more leverage.
View Quote

Now now OP, what did 80FL tell you about heat?  Yeah, you were warned and you disregarded your warning. Now you must face the consequences of your unruly behavior.

Someday OP..........................someday you will listen to your elders in matters such as this.

For now you must learn your lessons.  They will serve you well in your future.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What ever happened with the whole your property line/neighbors property line dispute thing? This thread reminded me of that thread, but I've been gone for a while.
View Quote

I found existing survey marker lines, where based upon those, the shed is on his side with the 15' foot minimal offset; however, when he planeted his row of pine trees to seperate our two properties 20 years ago, it was off course and more on my side, and gave the illusion everything was on my property from a satellite image.  Well, his trees are, not the shed.  Free wood, at his expense.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Be careful with that bolt rounder and a cheater bar.  I have broken a few of those and they are not fun to drill out.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top