Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/27/2017 1:48:33 PM EDT
I'm doing some auto work today. I am replacing my wheel bearing hub assembly.  Needless to say due to all the salt and crap Virginia puts down on the roads for the winter, I have a seized bolt so rusted in there my impact wrench (350lbs) cant even remove it.  Now what?

Heat trick, or is their some miracle spray I should let soak in?

UPDATE TOP OF PAGE 2 - I admit defeat, and sleep on the problem

UPDATE PAGE 3 - Bolt is free! It autisticly screeched REEEEE!!!! as it slowly came out like a whinny liberal!  Bolt was bent in half.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Get some form of penetrating oil. I like Kroil, personally, and have used it with success on 100+ year old rusted screws.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes definitely try some Kroil, Liquid Wrench, or PB Blaster before jumping to the torch. Just let it soak for a good while to let it loosen up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#4]
PB blaster works wonders for auto. I havent tried Kroil for automotive use, as PB usually works for me.

I'm assuming you've used heat and plenty of leverage with a cheater bar? You can try a cheater bar while someone is pounding on the bolt with a BFH too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Kroil or a 50/50 mix of auto trans fluid and acetone.
Let soak.
Apply vibration.
Repeat.
After a couple days of this, add heat and torque.

The above works on century-old rusted fasteners; it should make short work of yours.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]
heat is your friend.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Penetrating Oil and heat....
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kroil or a 50/50 mix of auto trans fluid and acetone.
Let soak.
Apply vibration.
Repeat.
After a couple days of this, add heat and torque.

The above works on century-old rusted fasteners; it should make short work of yours.
View Quote

Someone else that's cleaned up an IMA Martini!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Kroil or some good old ed's red.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Induction bolt heater.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Induction bolt heater.
View Quote
I love mine
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#12]
The blue wrench is your friend.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

it doesn't even matter what kind but this is the answer.

also "shocking" it works well, heat it up, then hit it with cold water to cool it down quickly, the thermal shock helps break them loose.. a breaker bar and cheater pipe are also helpful because air tools while stronger then they used to be aren't all that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Soak with PB blaster. Wait a day. Weld a nut to it and wrench it off.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#15]
FPNI 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I just replaced everything down to the ball joints on my '94 F150.  My pennsylvania rust beats your Va. rust and I just used a 4 foot long cheater bar homemade outta pipe.  I guarendamntee you it'll work for you!  If need be then just beat a socket onto any bolt that won't cooperate!  I like PB Blaster too but the cheater bar will work without it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Kroil and impact wrench
Melt candle wax into the threads and impact wrench
Heat the nut and impact wrench
if all else fails get the heat wrench out and cut it off
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Poor man's way: Kroil, brake fluid, ATF, tapping gently, and time. If that doesn't work, torch time.

Best way: induction heater, if you can get it to fit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is absolutely NO substitute for heat and pen oil.

Just remember that heat first expands then it shrinks.

If you need a nut removed, heat it then remove it while still HOT.

If you need a bolt removed, heat it then let it cool a bit to shrink.

I love my Dogs.

I love my Kids.

I used to love my Wife.

But I REALLY LOVE MY HEAT.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Can you use a bolt splitter or cut it off?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Get it hot and then spray it hot with kroil. Heat pulls the oil into the threads.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Okay, I ran down to Advanced, and bought some PB Blaster.  Last can!  The bolts are currently soaking.  Just wondering ideally how many minutes it should soak in.  It's pretty bad.  Is it an overnight soak?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Okay, I ran down to Advanced, and bought some PB Blaster.  Last can!  The bolts are currently soaking.  Just wondering ideally how many minutes it should soak in.  It's pretty bad.  Is it an overnight soak?
View Quote

Overnight is good.  Heat is better.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

if you had a MAP torch you could be done in 15 minuets..
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#25]
The first 5 replys nail it.

Kroil works a little better than BP blaster. Spray it on, go do something else for a little while, spray again, go do something else, then hit it with the impact wrench again.

Heat is a last resort.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just replaced everything down to the ball joints on my '94 F150.  My pennsylvania rust beats your Va. rust and I just used a 4 foot long cheater bar homemade outta pipe.  I guarendamntee you it'll work for you!  If need be then just beat a socket onto any bolt that won't cooperate!  I like PB Blaster too but the cheater bar will work without it.
View Quote

Until you break the bolt off, then what???
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Kroil works a little better than BP blaster. Spray it on, go do something else for a little while, spray again, go do something else, then hit it with the impact wrench again.

Heat is a last resort.
View Quote

What is this heat everyone is talking about?  Like a propane torch?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Heat is a last resort.
View Quote

Heat is always the second resort.

The last resort is when you break off the bolt or stud and end up drilling and using an e-z-out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What is this heat everyone is talking about?  Like a propane torch?
View Quote

Preferably an Oxy-Acetylene torch with a fine tip to concentrate the heat where you want it.

A propane torch may work for you but it's so-so at best.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Put impact in reverse

Edit; or use kroil.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I've had many bolts over the years that PB Blaster didn't faze at all. Kroil on the other hand, I've had very few that I had to use heat. Spray, let sit overnight, smack with a hammer and remove.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Try tightening it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Wisconsin rust expert...

cut the bolt?

My favorite... a "i'm not fucking around bar".... pretty much a big steel pipe you use on your ratchet for leverage. I have one that's 8' long that I sometimes use. the 4' one is pretty handy

PB Blaster

Heat

PB blaster... then heat... then your air tool... repeat.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Preferably an Oxy-Acetylene torch with a fine tip to concentrate the heat where you want it.

View Quote
This : the gas-axe is the best, propane torch is not hot enough or focused enough

also read this advice : taking shit apart on the farm
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I had one hub bolt that was so seized, I put a 10 foot cheater on it, jacked the front up to give me clearance for the bar, then snapped the bolt head right off.  then the hub assembly just slid right off over the broken bolt, exposing about 2 inches of bolt stud that then threaded right out finger loose.  

so, in my experience, (this was a 2003ish tahoe) having the other bolts out increases pressure on that last remaining bolt, unevenly, making it bind up and be a bitch.  heat is good.  gotta get it HOT and the hub will heat sink the heat away so you have to torch it for a long time.  water penetrates better than oil and lubes, it works as a good bolt breaker.  banging on shit with a big hammer works, to jar everything loose.  get a good quality BRAND NEW socket and get it on that bolt.  old shit will strip the bolt face.

but yeah, look at the bolt and if the vehicle is a early 2000's chevy truck, you can grind the bolt head off and the hub will slide off the stud.  then you can get some BAVG's (big ass vice grips) and lock onto the stud and thread it out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#37]
If you tried wd or pb blaster and it isn't budging it's time for the hot blue wrench.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Heat, soak, heat, soak It will either come out or snap off. Once that happens.... left hand drill bit
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The blue wrench is your friend.
View Quote

Aye, the Blue Wrench.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Old school is milk of magnesia (sp), old timèr showed me that trick when trying to remove broken tie bars from 240 ton presses, takes a couple of days but it does wonders.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Get some form of penetrating oil. I like Kroil, personally, and have used it with success on 100+ year old rusted screws.
View Quote

This will work
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#42]
LOL at everyone recommending Kroil... The stuff is great, but 5-6 years ago when I had a bolt I didn't want to break I tried everything and had to order Kroil because I couldn't find it anywhere. The bolt still snapped even after putting Kroil on it for a few days and using heat (1st of 2 bolts snapped as soon as I put some force on it and I didn't want to drill out both, so I tried my hardest to not break the 2nd bolt). One day I was in my LGS and I saw a can of Kroil with all the other gun oils, so if you have trouble finding it locally, start calling your local LGSs.

Lots of great suggestions in here. My path is to use penetrating oil first and let soak for hours or overnight. Then smack it with a hammer so the vibrations can help knock it loose (don't hit threads or you'll damage them). If it still doesn't come off I move on to using heat which damn near always does the trick. If heat doesn't get it I'm usually stuck with either drilling out the bolt or using an easy out if I can.

I haven't had much luck, but there are also a few freezing sprays you can use too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Old school is milk of magnesia (sp), old timèr showed me that trick when trying to remove broken tie bars from 240 ton presses, takes a couple of days but it does wonders.
View Quote

Oil of wintergreen too... That shit smells so strong though, like 100 packs of Winterfresh gum. I'm pretty sure the good smell in Kroil probably comes from oil of wintergreen.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I love mine
View Quote

Rented one on the advice given here, I was pulling the head off of an old outboard. Worked so well I went out and bought one off Amazon.

Now I'll probably never need one again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#45]
like most have said penetrating oil I prefer Aero Kroil. let sit heat then tighten just a little with a breaker bar, it should then come off with a impact wrench.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Heat and beeswax
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Kroil is a miracle worker.

ETA post 87
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Breaker bar w/6' pipe.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I stopped using Pblaster years ago. It works maybe 25%-50% of the time. The rest of the time the bolt head twists off or hex head rounds off.

Straight to the oxy acetylene. Heat it cherry red, that breaks all rust. Comes out very easily then. If you hit it with the penetrating spray first, you have a flammable substance you just sprayed everywhere (brake cleaner or something to remove).
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Kroil. Let it soak overnight.

When you come back in the morning, the rusty bolt will be laying on the ground..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top