Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/26/2017 9:13:08 PM EDT
Can you fill me in? I've never owned a boat. Some on Craigslist say boat is registered, trailers not, something about home made trailer?

As far as boats anything to avoid? Those 2 stroke mercury outboards any good? Hard to maintain?

How long/far does a trolling motor get you? I'm not looking to blaze across a wide open lake. Mostly just buzz at round the shore line and fish bass with my two boys. 6 & 3.

Registration expensive? Taxes? Fees? Tags?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The 2 Happiest days applies
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Explain that to my 45 year old Smokercraft sled that's probably had less than 4 grand put into it including motors. 

little boats don't go by the same rules as big boats. 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
What are you planning on doing? 
All the "jon boats" I used down south sucked for anything other than going slow on still water. 

The more things are registered, the more likely it is there's a title. So, getting a registered boat with a registered trailer should net you hopefully two titles. 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]
With kids, get the widest, deepest Jon boat you can afford.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had a Monark 1648 semi-v style bow jon boat now for about 2 years. The first year or so, I had a 55lb Minn Kota trolling motor on it and a 27 series deep cycle battery from Walmart. I could spend hours going across the lake (the trip literally took a good 30 minutes, it was like crossing on the fucking Mayflower and only use 20-30% of that battery with two fat dudes and a cooler full of ice/soda/beer/gatorade.

Then I put a Mercury 8hp outboard on it, goes about 15mph with just me or 11ish-mph with two people and a cooler. Numbers are approximate and likely not accurate as they were gotten from Snapchat.

It's worked well, gets a little wet in windy conditions, but I have no complaints. I basically bought it to be able to access some river caves I wanted to dive in near my house, but it's fun to just go across the lake in it and anchor somewhere to relax.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or in other words, get a regular boat, not a jon boat lol. 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of my absolute best bass fishing has been out of a 14' jon boat with 3 of us in it. 

2 folding seats and a 30+ lb trolling motor. enough room for overhand casting that no one caught a hook to the head.

This was fishing ponds in south Jersey which don't even register as a puddle where I live now. 

Awesome little stable boat that you could launch anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Me yesterday, first time in over a year due to an injury.  Merc outboards are great but depending on what year the electrics get funky and hard to find replacement parts.  I love my new 4 Stroke Merc and will never go back to two stroke.  The Arfcom on Jon boats  http://forum.tinboats.net/index.php?sid=6d5ee258f980e1aa5694c2930f79d851

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#9]
A War Eagle is what you want.

Definitely make sure it has a fully welded transom.

Stay far far away from a Polar Kraft.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Also, can't remember what size the changeover is, but a lot of new motors are just re-branded/ co-produced/ whatever Japanese motors.  So in some cases, you can just the the tohatsu brand cheaper.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Heck if you were local.. I'd give you the one just sitting in what use to be my high water mark.... Our lake comes and goes.. right now it's gone! Second time in 6 years since we bought this stupid house!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]
In before....

Quoted:
View Quote

never mind!!

Interesting account name
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#13]
a 16 foot x 4 foot wide with a small motor and trolling motor. Use a battery designed for trolling. You will get hours of trolling. A 25 horse motor will do fine. You won't be flying across the water but for your stated purpose it will do.

eta: welded, not riveted.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#14]
My beater is a 14' Deep V with a 20 HP Merc and trolling motor - Engine is a '76 and fires on the first or second pull.  

Trolling on low I can go a full day - Trolling full speed 2-3 hours.

Trailer fee here is $14 a year / DNR sticker is good for 3 and runs $25-$30.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
a 16 foot x 4 foot wide with a small motor and trolling motor. Use a battery designed for trolling. You will get hours of trolling. A 25 horse motor will do fine. You won't be flying across the water but for your stated purpose it will do.

eta: welded, not riveted.
View Quote

I'd say get a jet motor, not a prop, you'll be happier in shallow water, but not necessarily the weeds, but the weeds are for the trolling motor.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In before....

never mind!!

Interesting account name
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#17]
My dad just bought an older (2002 I think?) bass tracker 1648 with a 40 hp mercury on it, loaded to the limit on the placard it will do 32 mph headed upstream and into the wind on a very high river. Didn't think to check the speed when going downstream but I'm assuming we would have picked up a good 3-5 mph.

Checked with iPhone speedometer app that's pretty accurate according to every vehicle I've checked it against.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#18]
For the boys and me
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had all sorts of boats and I've been the happiest with the rig I have now.  It's an Alumacraft 1548 from Bass Pro (about $1000) and a 2hp Honda 4 stroke, also about $1000.  It's stable enough to walk around in, and the little motor pushes it about 5mph.  I do alot more fishing than riding these days.  I stick to the ponds and rivers, and if I go to the big impoundments I fish in the smaller branches.  

Skip the 2 stroke motors.  4 stroke is the way to go.  Always use fuel treatment in the gas if you don't have access to ethanol free gas.  I went with the 2hp honda because it's air cooled so if I get into shallow water in the river it doesn't suck sand up into the impeller like a water cooled engine.  Welded boats are a big plus if you run fast, but the riveted boats hold up fine when not being beat up by going fast.  

The whole rig on the trailer is light enough to pick up and move around by hand, and doesn't put a strain on my old Toyota 4 cyl,  

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Check your state for registration requirements.  

Most states seem to be that registration is required for Boats with motors of any kind.  

Trailers in UT need to be registered it 500#s and over or if you cross state lines.

I would recommend a v hull boat.  I prefer rivets to welded as rivets are easier to repair.  They also tend to weep rather than leak.

If going electric, have oars in the boat.  Not a paddle(boat rules tend to be based on size and small Boats usually require alternative propulsion).

If buying a new boat, the smaller 14 and 16 foot aluminum utility boatscan be had with a walkway of sorts down the center.  They look much more convienient to get from the back to front as when beaching.  Also, the kids stay more center and lowerwhen moving around.

I have seen 16' utility boat, trailer and 20hp outboard for around $5k new at cabellas.

I prefer 16 foots to shorter.  The kids won't always be this small.

12 footers, though easier to row, feel quite unstable if you stand or lean to the side.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Fully welded is what you seek. With kids make sure you get one wide enough for stability.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've had a Monark 1648 semi-v style bow jon boat now for about 2 years. The first year or so, I had a 55lb Minn Kota trolling motor on it and a 27 series deep cycle battery from Walmart. I could spend hours going across the lake (the trip literally took a good 30 minutes, it was like crossing on the fucking Mayflower and only use 20-30% of that battery with two fat dudes and a cooler full of ice/soda/beer/gatorade.

Then I put a Mercury 8hp outboard on it, goes about 15mph with just me or 11ish-mph with two people and a cooler. Numbers are approximate and likely not accurate as they were gotten from Snapchat.

It's worked well, gets a little wet in windy conditions, but I have no complaints. I basically bought it to be able to access some river caves I wanted to dive in near my house, but it's fun to just go across the lake in it and anchor somewhere to relax.
View Quote

Awesome.

So trolling motor only isn't advised or just slow?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Me yesterday, first time in over a year due to an injury.  Merc outboards are great but depending on what year the electrics get funky and hard to find replacement parts.  I love my new 4 Stroke Merc and will never go back to two stroke.  The Arfcom on Jon boats  http://forum.tinboats.net/index.php?sid=6d5ee258f980e1aa5694c2930f79d851

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318573/boat-154858.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318573/be-154862.JPG
View Quote

That's what I'm talkin about!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fully welded is what you seek. With kids make sure you get one wide enough for stability.
View Quote

I'd take a riveted boat over a welded boat any day, welds crack.   I have a couple year old Lund, part of the reason I bought it was rivets.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Awesome.

View Quote

Trolling motors are for fishing.

If you're looking long term and maximum use buy a 9.9 HP four stroke.  It'll have plenty of power for any lake you take a boat that size.  Also, 9.9's are the maximum motor size on a lot of smaller lakes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My beater is a 14' Deep V with a 20 HP Merc and trolling motor - Engine is a '76 and fires on the first or second pull.  

Trolling on low I can go a full day - Trolling full speed 2-3 hours.

Trailer fee here is $14 a year / DNR sticker is good for 3 and runs $25-$30.
View Quote

Those Texas fees?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I have one, have yet to finish outfitting it.   Mine runs good with a 40hp.

honestly fees are he least expense.  Also have insurance, gas, fishing stuff, fishing license, etc...
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I say go for it.   Sure bigger boats get expensive but that's not what your going after.   I have many great memories of fishing with my brother and dad when we were young.   I would try to get as wide and as much free board as possible.  Jon boats are great but they don't do well in waves or wind.   Best for small water.   
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Awesome.

View Quote

Using a trolling motor for anything other than small ponds,  Trying to cover even a couple hundred yards to get back to the ramp, against the wind, at the end of the day, sucks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:01:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'd take a riveted boat over a welded boat any day, welds crack.   I have a couple year old Lund, part of the reason I bought it was rivets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any signs of transom rot yet?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Using a trolling motor for anything other than small ponds,  Trying to cover even a couple hundred yards to get back to the ramp, against the wind, at the end of the day, sucks.
View Quote

Jaaa noted.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#32]
If gping with electric trolling motor or gas makes no difference and will have to be registered .
Steer clear of boats without a clear title,  next to impossible to get a title if Jimmy John got the boat from his uncles friend and never got a title for it.
Also welded is better than rivets .

Wear a life jacket.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm in FL and was searching through Craig's list yesterday for a Jon boat.  My boys and I were thinking about a Summer project to gt one going. Good luck with your findings.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Explain that to my 45 year old Smokercraft sled that's probably had less than 4 grand put into it including motors. 

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!

Have had the same 16' with 25 Evinrude for over 20 years.
Fish, crab, hunt, trap, and just goof off in it.
A LOT!
Have even drug it down to SC to gator hunt a couple times.

Have replaced the impeller a couple times as well as the plugs. Change the lower unit oil every year and GTG.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Make sure it has a Hull ID or it will be tougher to register.

Boat registration in CT is $10, not sure about Texas.

Be sure to check max weight. That's going to include passengers, motor, batteries, gas and gear. I have a 1990 Sears 12' Jonboat that I put a troller on. Minnkota 55, and a big ol battery, it'll last ~10 hours on full power. So in actuality, it'll last all weekend easily.

My small boat has a 400 lb limit so I opted against a gas motor, it took up too much of my payload.

I got the boat for $150 and put $400 and about 20 hours into it and now it's my "brand new" fishing machine.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or with drunk fishing buddies, women who insist of going fishing once in their lives, old folks, or dogs...

A roomy Jon boat is a thing of beauty as long as you keep it within it's limitations.  Do not take one walleye fishing on Lake Erie.  Do not take it down the rapids on the New River Gorge.  Do not take it out into the Atlantic Ocean.  And most especially, do not loan it to a brother in law intent on turning everything you own into scrap metal. 

I always drool with envy over the really wide ones I see down South. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#38]
My first boat was a 14' Jon with a 9.9hp Evinrude. I bought the combo when I was 13yo and used it to fish and explore the backwaters of Central Florida for years until I discovered that girls really don't want to go out on a date into dark waters infested with Alligators and Cottonmouth (I will never understand women).

An Aluminum Jon boat is pretty sturdy. Look for obvious signs of damage or abuse. Look for beads of aftermarket caulking and don't let the seller tell you they are designed to leak. Pay particular attention to the transom (back of the boat) to make sure it is sound. This area receives a lot of stress.  Make sure the trailer looks roadworthy before actually taking it on the road.

If the trailer has no clear title or never had a title, many people will try to title it as a "home-built" trailer. This avoids the awkward questions like who did you buy it from? or Why has the registration/tag fee not been paid in 10 years? Be careful on this. I knew of a trailer that had been "abandoned" at a fish camp for so long, an 8" diameter tree had grown between the skids. A guy took it, cleaned it up, put new wheels and a winch on it only to turn it over to the actual owner when it was discovered to have been stolen years before.

Two-Stroke smokers are dinosaurs. EPA killed them and they are no longer being produced (correct me if I am wrong). I have know doubt you can still find parts to keep one running but factory support is going away and common maintenance parts and 2-cycle oil is becoming harder and harder to find. My last boat had a 90hp Evinrude and the fuel system wasn't designed for Ethanol. That 10% mix was no good for that engine. I had to pay top dollar for dedicated boat gasoline and it was not always so easy to find.

Make sure you have all the required safety equipment onboard. This is not only a law that is enforced, it is a Damn good idea, especially if you will have kids onboard. I remember a 4th of July celebration on a local big lake when a bunch of kids died because somebody took them out on the lake to watch fireworks in a boat that was woefully overloaded, had no running lights and no life vests. Water does not suffer from fools.

Also, consider a boating course. I believe a USGI course is mandatory now. It is also a damn good idea.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm in FL and was searching through Craig's list yesterday for a Jon boat.  My boys and I were thinking about a Summer project to gt one going. Good luck with your findings.
View Quote

The more I think  about it, the funner I think it would be for us to get one to clean up and make ours together. My youngest is 3, might need another year before he can get out on the boat anyways. We could bank fish this year and work on it during the off weekends etc.

The title thing is a bit scary though. The shittier the boat, the less likely to have a title.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Make sure it has a Hull ID or it will be tougher to register.

Boat registration in CT is $10, not sure about Texas.

Be sure to check max weight. That's going to include passengers, motor, batteries, gas and gear. I have a 1990 Sears 12' Jonboat that I put a troller on. Minnkota 55, and a big ol battery, it'll last ~10 hours on full power. So in actuality, it'll last all weekend easily.

My small boat has a 400 lb limit so I opted against a gas motor, it took up too much of my payload.

I got the boat for $150 and put $400 and about 20 hours into it and now it's my "brand new" fishing machine.
View Quote

Pics?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
<strong>Quoted:</strong>
<strong>Quoted:</strong>

Can't you just replace the board?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Make sure you have all the required safety equipment onboard. This is not only a law that is enforced, it is a Damn good idea, especially if you will have kids onboard. I remember a 4th of July celebration on a local big lake when a bunch of kids died because somebody took them out on the lake to watch fireworks in a boat that was woefully overloaded, had no running lights and no life vests. Water does not suffer from fools.

Also, consider a boating course. I believe a USGI course is mandatory now. It is also a damn good idea.
View Quote

Noted. I'll look into it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Xpress
View Quote

The cheapest Jon boat my local dealer has in their inventory is $14,000.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The more I think  about it, the funner I think it would be for us to get one to clean up and make ours together. My youngest is 3, might need another year before he can get out on the boat anyways. We could bank fish this year and work on it during the off weekends etc.

The title thing is a bit scary though. The shittier the boat, the less likely to have a title.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't do it lol, and if you do stay away from tinboats.net. I got a "free" jon boat from my uncle years back, someone here turned me on tinboats. and about $5,000 later I had one bad ass jon boat Could have bought one much nicer and ready to go with far less time and money into it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I have an old Semi-V 14' w/ 25 Hp Evenrude 2 stroke on it. It gets up and goes but the boat is just too small now. It was fine when my son was small now he is nearly as tall as I am and it really makes the boat unsteady. I am look for a 16-18 with the widest beam I can find. The semi-V was ok on the river for cutting wake but since the draft was so shallow and beam narrow it was really unsteady. Add to the fact there were no forward controls most of the weight was rearward i.e. Me, the motor, the gas, so it was hard to balance out the weight. When I found there was a hook in the hull near the stern it killed my enthusiasm for working on it. So I am keeping the engine and looking for a new boat one day.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Welded is less problematic than riveted.
Center or side console is more comfy than tiller.
Livewell is a bonus.
Look for balance, fuel tank(s), batteries the engine and you all in the back generally suks.
.100 hull thickness is better than .80.
Do a compression test if buying used.
Condition of trailer springs, axle/bearings and tires are super important. Doesn't matter how good the boat is if you can't reliably and safely get it to the water.

Our little fishcamp rig. 1652 Weld-Craft w/50HP.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#47]
By the way, we had some luck off the bank yesterday at Stillhouse Hollow lake by Belton.

Little man has a bad fishing bug right now. It's all he wants to do. I just wish he'd lay off the shit talking a little when daddy gets skunked.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Also, can't remember what size the changeover is, but a lot of new motors are just re-branded/ co-produced/ whatever Japanese motors.  So in some cases, you can just the the tohatsu brand cheaper.  
View Quote

Mercury's under (iirc) 40 hp are all Tohatsus.  So are the new Hondas I'm told. The Colemans are Chinese copies of  a Yamaha.

I'm a Honda guy myself, I have three.

As for the Jon, buy something bigger than you think you need. Extra capacity is your friend.  Bear in mind,  older boats will not have flotation added.

Since you live in Texas DO NOT BUY A BOAT WITHOUT A TITLE!!!!! IT is damn near impossible to correct that problem and without a title you cannot put an motor on it.

As for the home-built trailer, not an issue as long as it has plates on it already. (Your license plate and a bill of sale is what you take to the tax office to transfer ownership.)  

A 9 or 15 hp will get you anywhere you need to go, I have a 15hp Honda and it pushes a 14' Jon to 22 mph. I mainly use it along the coast to fish for reds.

If you want a busted but possibly fixable trollling motor, drop me an IM, I have a couple of bigger ones in the garage you are welcome to.  (12 or 24 volt)
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Can you fill me in? I've never owned a boat. Some on Craigslist say boat is registered, trailers not, something about home made trailer?

As far as boats anything to avoid? Those 2 stroke mercury outboards any good? Hard to maintain?

How long/far does a trolling motor get you? I'm not looking to blaze across a wide open lake. Mostly just buzz at round the shore line and fish bass with my two boys. 6 & 3.

Registration expensive? Taxes? Fees? Tags?
View Quote

Depends on you state laws.  For many states, just about everything that floats and holds a person needs to be registered in some shape or form... engines boats definitely.

Trailers usually go by weight, but they are still plated.  In my state you don't get a "registration" paper for them, you just get a plate if they are under a certain weight and the plates are permanent.  Specialty fixed trailers for us doesn't require registration or plates, but that doesn't apply to boat trailers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Bought a 1960s or so aluminum v-hull with trailer and 1968 Johnson 9.5 for $500 total a couple years ago off craigslist.
Registration stuff will vary by state. In GA, the hull is registered with the DNR. The trailer is registered like any other vehicle.

I spent a lot of time getting the outboard working well (new magneto ignition system, rebuilt carb, rebuilt lower unit) but now it starts on the first crank and runs well.

It doesn't exactly fly with the 9.5 hp, but will plane out with either another passenger in the front or the trolling motor battery up there if its just me. Its just slow with the $100 30lb thrust Minn Kota though. I wouldn't want that to be my only way to get around.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top