[#2]
Quoted:
I need an alternative.

American made
View Quote

Did the sole crack after about 4 moths?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Besides the price, whats wrong with RedWings?
They have a great warranty and at least for me a store is :10minutes away.

Free laces for life, free cleaning and conditioning for life.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#4]
White's or Nick's.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Red Wings are trash, I went to Keens.
View Quote

Never used to be.

30 years here
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have many miles on my Red Wing boots. What is the problem with yours??
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a pair that have been hard worn for 10 years...and I mean bordering on abused...lot of miles on them. Still in great condition considering....mine have held up remarkably well and I wouldn't hesitate to replace them in kind.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did the sole crack after about 4 moths?
View Quote

Separated after 9 months.

Made in China
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Georgia boot
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Danner?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Made in China
View Quote

I had an American made pair do the same. I went with Danner quarry's and the comfort is there and they are tough but the sole is wearing quickly. I'm hard on boots and on many different surfaces and temperatures. I don't know how people get their soles to last 3+ years without being completely slick. Ive never had a pair last more than 18 months without needing new soles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Thorogood is pretty good.  You want made in USA Red Wings, they hold up better.  

Anyone who wears boots for ten years is not wearing them much and definitely not doing anything hard in 'em.  

I used to wear out a pair of US made Red Wings in 9-12 months, the same for US made Justins.  

When I used to wear cowboy boots for work, a handmade pair would last about three years, with new soles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Wolverines are meh, New Balance are okay, Dursngos have been decent
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Made in China
View Quote

There are six sources of manufacture: completely made in the USA, made in the USA with imported materials, assembled in the USA with imported components, made in China, made in Korea and made in Vietnam

The boots at walmart aren't going to be the ALL USA made ones lol.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Danner?
View Quote

I have had good luck with Danner.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Danner?
View Quote

Looking into them, but they are hard to find.

I'm not paying that much without getting my ground pounders into them
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I like Danner.

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I was done with them after the first pair.

They are really high quality, but boots have come a long way in the past 100 years.

I don't buy Chuck Taylors for athletic shoes either.

If you like a more classic style boot, I know a lot of guys that swear by Thorogoods.

U.S. made and much more affordable than Red Wings.

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've got a pair that have been hard worn for 10 years...and I mean bordering on abused...lot of miles on them. Still in great condition considering....mine have held up remarkably well and I wouldn't hesitate to replace them in kind.
View Quote

No disrespect, but  they are not the boot they used to be.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
White's or Nick's.
View Quote

I think my next pair will be White's, there stiff as a SONOFABITCH for a couple weeks but they will make you "or me anyways" walk heel to toe which I need.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Redwings fucking suck.

Regarding lace ups:

The best american made boots are Aldens, but even those haven't held up near as well as my Crockett and Jones.

I've had Redwings, Allen Edmunds, and Alden (nicest of the bunch) and I've not found any american shoemaker that can get the job done.

Eta: Danners are good boots, my feet just don't like their lasts.

I've beat the ever loving fuck out of my Islays, and they still look brand spanking new.

As far as regular boots go (cowboy boots for you fucking savages) Luccheses are top notch. A few family members have a couple pairs that are about 30 years old and still look like they were just taken out of the box.

Don't weed out Justin either, as I have a pair of ropers that I've worn about every other day for about 10 years that are still clean as a whistle. Just get them resoled every few years.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Danner!
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#23]
http://www.russellmoccasin.com/

For what Red Wings used to be but custom fit.
You can glue thin sheet of vibram made material to sole to make them last much longer if it is a leather sole boot.  Replace as needed.

Worst thing on boots was animal waste/mud/piss around farm work.
Similar boots to Red Wing used to last me 6 months to a year on farm when I was a teenager but I hated putting rubbers over them all the time so that took away from wear.

Best product I eventually found was a Bronson or Mason mail order work boot made from mule hide.  It would last twice as long as cowhide given the same care.

Harness oil/Neetsfoot would make them last longer but weaken the thread.  Not a problem considering what animal acids did to leather.

Not being around any animals but horses occasionally now------
I now use Tandy products for adding moisture or my favorite product line URAD which is lanolin and carnuba wax so it moisturizes and protects.

If you are wearing boots for normal wear and outdoor use without farm use they should last much much longer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm hard on boots and on many different surfaces and temperatures. I don't know how people get their soles to last 3+ years without being completely slick. Ive never had a pair last more than 18 months without needing new soles.
View Quote

This is my experience as well. Red Wing soles wear down fast. (30+) years here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#25]
When plantar fasciitis struck, I went with Redwing boots.  I love them and will never switch.  Usually get 2 years out of them as a rancher/farmer.  I wear pull on boots, 10" tall.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I owned exactly one pair. I spent ~$200 on an American made pair many years ago. Easily the most uncomfortable, most miserable pair of boots I ever owned.

My experience is not typical however.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Made in China
View Quote
I was a die hard RedWings guy  , then they went to shit , I gave them another try last year after not buying them for quite a while, two months they were shot , fuck them never again 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I like Danner.

http://i.imgur.com/tZhCMWyl.jpg
View Quote

My size too
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Got some Irish setters and abused the hell out of them. They held up. Got some American made redwings and started to beat the hell out of them and they are holding up fine. I abuse them talking underground mud water rocks salt sand you name it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#30]
(Made in US) Danner.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't know where timberland boots are made but that's all I wear for work. IMO they are the most comfortable.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I like Danner.

http://i.imgur.com/tZhCMWyl.jpg
View Quote

I used to wear 10 EE, then I found a 10H, holy shit my feet have never been happier.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I think some here are mistaking lady shoes for boots.

Not boots:

Boots:

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Surprised not a single mention of chippewa....
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Wesco are top notch.  Can even get custom if you prefer.

Chippawa has good boots and most are made in America.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Thorogood is pretty good.  You want made in USA Red Wings, they hold up better.  

Anyone who wears boots for ten years is not wearing them much and definitely not doing anything hard in 'em.  

I used to wear out a pair of US made Red Wings in 9-12 months, the same for US made Justins.  

When I used to wear cowboy boots for work, a handmade pair would last about three years, with new soles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was a die hard RedWings guy  , then they went to shit , I gave them another try last year after not buying them for quite a while, two months they were shot , fuck them never again 
View Quote

My go to model..2892 was like slipping my feet into teenage pussy, and wore like iron.

I let the salesman talk me into the "replacement"
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I only by made in America redwings & have been very happy with mine
model # 1412 this is my third year with them , gortex & insulated I only
wear them in winter and spring & then switch to a lighter boot for the summer .
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Limmer Boots.

-buy once and be done.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

my son has a pair and is very happy with them , I think
I'll give them a shot for my next pair of boots .
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Bellville 300 Trp ST are my go-to boots. I've been working almost a year at a landfill as a mechanic, and they're still in good shape, have vibram soles, and are made in 'murica.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#42]
This thread is relevant to my interests. I know jack shit about boots but would like to buy a pair. Choices are overwhelming and prices are a little intimidating.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Some red wings are made in other countries. Some are made here. The US made ones that I work in were bought early in 2011. The soles are just now wearing through. I'm sending them to red wing to get re-soled for $100. I'm just waiting for my replacements (exactly same model) to get here first. 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't know where timberland boots are made but that's all I wear for work. IMO they are the most comfortable.
View Quote

I guess you don't work in a restaurant. When I did, I was lucky to get 6 months out of a pair of Tims before the soles disintegrated (like a crack from side to side at the ball of my foot going all the way through the sole so it was in two pieces). I did that twice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because they're trash if you work for a living.

Used to be a Die Hard Red Winger like most here, but got tired of the soles giving out after 6 months and having them resoled only to fail 4 months later when they cracked in half.   Red Wing always told me to get fucked.

Bought a set of Chippewa's after them - they lasted about the same but I was okay with that since they were cheaper.

Keens might not be American made but they're damn comfortable and the soles are Vibram so at least I'm not eating shit every time I walk on ice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Been living in Carolinas fir the last 3 yrs.

Soles hold up to coal gravel and steel grates. Waterproof ANSI Z electrical rating.

$150
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Made in China
View Quote
I'd be mad too if I cheaped out and bought the chinese ones.  Should have paid the extra $40 to some good ones.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Limmer Boots.

-buy once and be done.
View Quote

I really want a pair of Limmers. But due to width and assorted bunions, I would have to take two, two day trips up to NH to make sure they fit right.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Ive been wearing a pair of wedge lace up USA made Carolinas for almost 3 years. Starting to think k of getting the pull on version and getting these resoled. My dad has a few pairs of whites but gets money from work and loves them. I love danners as well but have never had a steel toe pair.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I call bullshit, unless you are walking on carpet all day and wear them only a few days a week...  Ill get maybe 9 months out of a pair actually using them ( Concrete demo, bridge/road work).. In the 10 years I have been doing this, I have yet to find a boot that will last 12 months.. 2 months of Jackhammering will destroy anything that is leather.. Normal wear and tear, I can see a boot lasting a few years sure, but if you wear a boot, 8-10 hours a day 5-6days a week, that sole isnt going to last no 10 years.. Unless they somehow figured out to to turn a vigina inside out, and strap laces to it, your going to wear it out...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top