Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2017 12:47:22 AM EDT
I've had a taxidermist do a European Skull mount for me about 3 weeks ago. After he finished it with a clear lacquer and it looks great. But it still stinks pretty bad! What to do since it is already lacquered? Just hang in garage awhile and hope it dissapates?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Put it in a bag cover with cedar shavings for a week or two?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:52:28 AM EDT
[#2]
He did a shitty job. There is most likely brain casing and /or cartledge still present.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Put it in the garage for a month
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#4]
He didn't get everything out of either the bone or the brain case.  You'd have to strip the coating somehow to do anything about the bone.

Might as well see if it dissipates before doing anything.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe OP means the lacquer still stinks, not the carcas?

Oh never mind "Since it is already lacquered." I'd take it back to him and make him redo it for free. He should've boiled it clean first.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:26:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He did a shitty job. There is most likely brain casing and /or cartledge still present.
View Quote

This.

Did my first one this year and no stink.  Mop & Glo was the final coat not lacquer.  I was pretty meticulous about getting every bit of soft tissue out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm assuming he did the "boil" method? Probably didn't get it 100% cleaned out.

Of all the euro mounts I've seen/have, beetles produce far superior results.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a big mule deer done in a european mount this winter and just got it back about two  weeks ago.

Very well done, lacquered, and no smell at all.
It was hand done, boiled, then beetled.

Most likely some cartiledge was left inside or brain matter.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:01:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm assuming he did the "boil" method? Probably didn't get it 100% cleaned out.

Of all the euro mounts I've seen/have, beetles produce far superior results.
View Quote

Yep thats the ticket meat eating carpet beetles
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:05:04 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, our group does all its own skulls, which is quite a few between hunting and trapping..we use sea lice, but we have boiled some too..regardless, they won't smell at all if everything is cleaned out of them...take it back, tell them to try again..,
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:33:12 AM EDT
[#11]
he could have actually boiled it(212*), with no dawn or sal's soda,  and the fats saturated the bone. now the fats/grease is turning rancid causing the smell. Boiling is a term not the temperature, its more of a simmer, shouldn't let the water get over 160 degrees.
I heard of soaking very greasy skulls in acetone to reduce the fats/grease,
taxidermy dot net is a great source for info, search raccoon skull on that site.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:40:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Put it on an ant pile for a week. You're smelling the brains man.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:38:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've had a taxidermist do a European Skull mount for me about 3 weeks ago. After he finished it with a clear lacquer and it looks great. But it still stinks pretty bad! What to do since it is already lacquered? Just hang in garage awhile and hope it dissapates?
View Quote

Stinks like Lacquer or Stinks like dead deer?

J-
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
he could have actually boiled it(212*), with no dawn or sal's soda,  and the fats saturated the bone. now the fats/grease is turning rancid causing the smell. Boiling is a term not the temperature, its more of a simmer, shouldn't let the water get over 160 degrees.
I heard of soaking very greasy skulls in acetone to reduce the fats/grease,
taxidermy dot net is a great source for info, search raccoon skull on that site.
View Quote

That's another common trend with DIYers and small time taxis.

I've seen some really awful bone pitting and brittleness to the point where they might as well cut the antlers and use them for table decorations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top