Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2017 12:10:46 AM EDT
My other thread got archived but I want to make sure we don't miss anything.

We have a helicopter tour scheduled. Planning on scheduling a boat and snorkeling tour on the Napali coast.

What are some must do's?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Annoy Zuckerberg
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Sunscreen. Went there exactly 26 years ago on my honeymoon. Got burnt to hell and back! Worst I've ever been!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Hopefully your helicopter is a Reeses inspired little bird.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:21:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We have a helicopter tour scheduled. Planning on scheduling a boat and snorkeling tour on the Napali coast.

What are some must do's?
View Quote

Likely the wrong season for snorkeling on the Napali coast.  Usually, but not always that's a summer project because of weather patterns.

See the Waimea canyon.  You can get good views driving.

Zipline - Koloa Zipline is good.

Sunset dinner at the Beach House or Brennekes in Poipou.

Rent a bike and ride the beachfront trail north of Kapaa.

See the Hanalea Pier.

Best fish tacos are at Sleeping Giant grill in Kapaa.

View sea turtles at old Koloa Landing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Shrimp Station
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:24:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What are some must do's?
View Quote

Relax, drink cocktails, enjoy being in one of the most beautiful places on earth.  We did the helo tour and also hiked the canyon another day on the trip.  Being on the edge of the canyon was awesome.  If you find your self on the west side of the island stop at lapperts ice cream on the main highway.  I don't do desserts, I went back for seconds.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Drive all the way to the end of Waimea canyon, then make a short walk from the parking lot to appreciate the view

Not my picture, just something from online.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:33:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hopefully your helicopter is a Reeses inspired little bird.
View Quote
My wife and I took that ride without doors. (Hughes 500)

It was AWESOME !!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:35:15 AM EDT
[#9]

My wife's snorkeling pics are against the CoC.

I was stationed at K-bay and was excited to go to Kauai on our honeymoon. Gorgeous.

I'd hike and swim all day, drink all night.

If it weren't for the gun laws I'd live there today.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Lived on Kauai for a number of years....

Chickens, chickens and more chickens.......everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:38:08 AM EDT
[#11]
If you have some "off" days get the book called the Ultimate Guide book to Kauai.  There are some off the beaten path places that are worth it.  We did the Queen's bath which was really cool, and then found a "hidden" beach where we were alone for a while.

We loved the island and keep talking about going back one of these years.  Unfortunately neither of us looks good in our swimsuits anymore...
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Wife and I went there for our honeymoon. Get a Puka Dog. We loved breakfast & coffee at Kalaheo Cafe.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:49:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Lappert's ice cream and Keoki's paradise in Poipu.

Both look like total tourist traps but they're amazing.

This is from the last time I was there in August.

Also, WEAR SUNSCREEN

I have permanent scarring on my shoulders now because I forgot to reapply it after a couple of hours. (I just think of it as the piece of Kauai that I got to bring back )

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:17:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Kaui is my favorite Hawaiian Island.  My favorite place on it is Hanalei bay.  I just came back last week from a week on Maui.  Careful with the sun, this is me prelobster, I am still peeling.

Attachment Attached File

Here is a drone video I took from the beach.

At 6:56 way out you there you can see a white trail over some man made straight underwater lines.  That's my wife snorkeling and her fin trail.  Below is the video she was getting at that time with a sea turtle.   The turtle appears about 2:30 but there are much clearer shots later in her video, for example about the 6:00 mark.  I couldn't see shit in the sun on my phone from the drones feed,  I didn't know it was her or I would have dropped down and followed her.  Didn't notice that was her until I put 2 and 2 together later in the hotel that night. I hope you have an awesome vacation.

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:19:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Go snorkeling in the Toilet Bowl.  Take a selfie with Charo.

Any boat ride there is awesome, especially one that goes into lava tubes.  Helicopter rides are great.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:20:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Beautiful waterfalls of Kauai
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:22:02 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 Keoki's for
$3 beef ribs and Happy Hour.

Eating House 1849 and Red Salt were good too.

Shaved Iced at Joe Joe's after going to Waimea Canyons.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#18]
we had our honeymoon there.
at one place you can have one of those dolphine things where they take pictures with you kissing one or some such. We got a last min ticket because someone canceled.
did a 3 day learn to scuba dive course as well.

There was a beach near something called the 3 rivers and it was pretty much deserted when we went. We stayed at a rental house with a deep creek is what I would call it, that ran to the sea. They gave us floats and we road it down to the coast and hung out on the beach. Don't think we saw anyone for over an hour.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
+1 Keoki's for
$3 beef ribs and Happy Hour.

Eating House 1849 and Red Salt were good too.

Shaved Iced at Joe Joe's after going to Waimea Canyons.
View Quote

None of the restaurants were all that good imo. What was great was the fresh inexpensive seafood at the fish markets. After a few lack luster meals out my wife and i ate sushi, seared ahi, raw scallops, etc every night in our room. And saved a lot of money.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#20]
The beachhouse resturant
And ono burger shack, best burger in the world.

Say hi to the chickens for me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Porky's

Glass beach
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lived on Kauai for a number of years....

Chickens, chickens and more chickens.......everywhere.
View Quote

Oh yea, and when we were there, frogs everywhere too.  We caught the peak of the Frog mating season I think.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't miss swimming in the Queens Bath.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#24]
There is a somewhat treacherous (when wet) hiking path out of the Hanalei Bay area that takes you up and over into beaches along the Na Pali coast...the Kalakau Trail..8-11 miles   On the other end of the NaPali cliff area, approached by car from the south, is an incredible wind-swept beach that looks like the end of the world...little bit rough road...dirt.  Good surf beach next to Grand Hyatt...boogie boards for sure...Shipwreck Beach.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#25]
oh and don't leave any food/ drinks in the car and try to drink/eat them later. lol
discovered roaches living in the cars. All of them.

left a half a coke in the drink holder, and came back to find a few scattering when the light came on.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#26]
CAPTAIN ANDYS NEPALI COAST TOUR. DO IT!

Go on the night cruise. Dinner and all you can drink.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Great info so far guys, thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Koloa Rum. Do the tasting. I'll be there in 3 weeks for my kids spring break. I love their rum!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#30]
There used to be a little stand in Hanalei that had a mean macadamia nut shake.  

Don't eat the Dolphin restaurant in Hanalei - Do eat the cash only surf breakfast joint on the corner.

Get ready for one lane bridges.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Tubing down the aqueduct.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Drive all the way to the end of Waimea canyon, then make a short walk from the parking lot to appreciate the view

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/167466.jpg
View Quote

I've done this exact hike. Best hike I've ever done. Best view I've ever had. Absolutely breathtaking.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Kilalua ? trail at NW end of the Island. Hiked to the 1st beach, Awesome view. Queens bath is dicey as is everything on the North Shore this time of year. If the swell is up and you aren't an experienced ocean swimmer, stick to the protected waters like Hanalei Bay etc... Surf school is fun at Poipu as is the Luau at night.  Napali Coast tour with snorkeling is great. Chicken in a barrel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#34]
We went in 2010 with another couple that had been there a few times. Had a blast! There have been multiple movies filmed all over that island. Saw quite a few locations from famous shots like the spot Indiana Jones jumps into the river in Raiders. Tons of other locations there. You can search on line for filming locations there.

Here is the same view from the start of Raiders where Indy looks up at the mountain in "Peru". I'm standing in the middle of a residential street to get the shot!

Attachment Attached File

This is Barking Sand Beach. I think this is the one mentioned above.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The Kalaheo Cafe and Coffee Company was recommended to us by a local. We wound up going there every day for breakfast. We also enjoyed a dinner at The Grove near Waimea Canyon. Captain Andy's dinner cruise was a blast as mentioned already.

I hope you have a great time!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Kauai is great. Helicopter tour will give you great views of the island, especially Waimai Canyon. Watch the weather and check in with whoever you do the Napli coast boat tour morning of. We had ours cancelled due to weather, even though it was a beautiful day, on the way to the launch.

If you are up for some hiking check out the hike to Hanakapia Falls. North side of the island. Starts at Ka beach. You hike along the coast to Hanakapiai beach for 2 miles then 2 more miles up to the falls. Fantastic 300 ft waterfall with a pool you can swim in underneath.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Went in 2010, had a ball. Kids were younger otherwise I would have hiked in the Napali area. Enjoy, we're back off to Maui in a few months....love Maui  beaches and a cooler...
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've done this exact hike. Best hike I've ever done. Best view I've ever had. Absolutely breathtaking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/167466.jpg

Is it easy to find the trail?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Pierce Brosnan eats lunch at the St. Regis every day...I had a sandwich with him.  Very nice guy.  

Got to the patio outside the bar at the St. Regis at sundown...world famous sunsets.  You're welcome.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Tiki Tacos in Kapaa.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top