Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2017 11:23:40 PM EDT
Mechanically speaking I mean. We are hearing that the rifles can fire without the trigger being touched or when taken off safety but what is causing that?
Personally, given some of the triggers I've handled after owners adjusted them I'd say the problem is caused by a screwdriver. Maybe someone here knows more though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're talking about the media uproar, the flaw is that they are attached to a gun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
they did have a recall going on..   my cousin just got a 300 win mag for $250 new out the door with scope and bipod nib.   so I am tempted.

apparently they can possibly fire when not supposed to due to excess bonding agent in the trigger mechanism.

recall info
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
They gave me a %40 off coupon, free shipping and labels for trigger replacement.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Until someone more familiar posts, its my understanding there is a connector between trigger an the sear that is held in place by spring pressure. On a trigger thats been adjusted too light, the connector cancome out of alignment allowing sear to to let off when safety is released.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#5]
On a trigger thats been adjusted too light, the connector cancome out of alignment allowing sear to to let off when safety is released.
View Quote

I can tell you that around 1996, I had a Model 7 in .260 that went off when I dropped the safety...scared the shit out of me!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're talking about the media uproar, the flaw is that they are attached to a gun.
View Quote

As opposed to a psychologically limited and highly mentally fragile non binary human entity....

Who just got whole milk in their soy latte

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:28:53 AM EDT
[#7]
My employer has a VSSF Sendero .220 Swift that I know never had the trigger messed with and when he closed the bolt one time it went off.  I was there and it was wtf just happened?  He got a Jewell Trigger put in it never had another incident in 6 years and he shoots it alot
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mechanically speaking I mean. We are hearing that the rifles can fire without the trigger being touched or when taken off safety but what is causing that?
Personally, given some of the triggers I've handled after owners adjusted them I'd say the problem is caused by a screwdriver. Maybe someone here knows more though.
View Quote

There are videos all over YouTube explaining the issues with the Walker Trigger.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My employer has a VSSF Sendero .220 Swift that I know never had the trigger messed with and when he closed the bolt one time it went off.  I was there and it was wtf just happened?  He got a Jewell Trigger put in it never had another incident in 6 years and he shoots it alot
View Quote

If he put a Jewel in it, of course he never had a problem. The problem is the Walker Trigger that comes on previous 2006 Remington 700s. The post 2006 (X Mark Pro Triggers) has issues with excessive sealant.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:36:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I see you're not very familiar with the problem.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Until someone more familiar posts, its my understanding there is a connector between trigger an the sear that is held in place by spring pressure. On a trigger thats been adjusted too light, the connector cancome out of alignment allowing sear to to let off when safety is released.
View Quote

Someone more familiar here. The problem isn't that easy. It doesn't just occur when the trigger is adjusted "too light."
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:56:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If he put a Jewel in it, of course he never had a problem. The problem is the Walker Trigger that comes on previous 2006 Remington 700s. The post 2006 (X Mark Pro Triggers) has issues with excessive sealant.
View Quote

Not correct.  I have a Jewel in one of mine and its unsafe, I still use it, but I know what to do.  Jewel trigger doesn't solve the issue.  Trying to use a combo of the Lee-Metford and Mauser system was not such a great idea.  Then you mass produce it and Viola, trouble.  The world needs the Lee-Metford system and to discard the Mauser version.  Rather than inventing new calibers/cartridges, they need to focus on this.  The one who does will develop a new class of rifles for the modern age, except that is already been done before.  Like 99% of everything firearm related.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:09:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Back in the early 90's, I had a 700 go off when I took a safety off.  Remington did not seem interested in the problem and basically told me that I had caused the discharge. 

I sold the rifle with full disclosure in the mid-90s.  The only Remington firearms that I've owned since are 870's.  The experience left a bad taste in my mouth.  I went a few years wondering how I caused the discharge.  I found out later that it was a fairly common problem,
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:20:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Someone more familiar here. The problem isn't that easy. It doesn't just occur when the trigger is adjusted "too light."
View Quote

Details?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:28:13 AM EDT
[#15]
The original trigger issue decades ago was mostly bubba adjusting or WD40 would gum them up and cause a hammer drop during closing.  Some gun scrubber and a good lite gun oil would fix the WD40 issue. The adjust issue? Well there wasa reason Remington put epoxy in the adjusting screw holes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#16]
The 2 ND recall about 3 yrs ago was a factory issue of over applying a sealant/ glue in side the trigger assy and some of it getting in the wrong place. This allowed a discharge upon disengaging the saftey. Recall was supposed to fix it.  

Best fix = Timney

I still use 2 original 1970s triggers and a 2 ND gen recalled trigger. I have no problems.  Properly cleaned and adjusted I think they are fine.

If your worried see above.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:36:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Most newer production guns should be fixed, right?  I thought there was a dimple punched on the bolt release lever in front of the trigger to show if it was repaired.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:38:16 AM EDT
[#18]
From what I saw in a recent article, the problem is if you point the rifle at your brother and pull the trigger the rifle fires.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:48:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Eh maybe I am behind the times, but wasn't that "Remington under fire", by the Canadians in the Geo Cities era of the internet?

Get it gets rebroadcast time to time, but late 90's onward, did people ignore recalls, and did Remington not fix whatever it was wrong with the triggers?

That time period was a Savage Arms fan. May have missed a few key things I admit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:53:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I've already given my opinion on the adjustment issue but, funny story:

A couple years ago I bought a used .300 Winmag Sendero. The guy selling it made a big deal of the trigger, "Feeeel that trigger man!." Yea, nothing but mush with a WAY too light, indistinct "break" somewhere in there and a TON of overtravel. Obviously bubba'd and unsafe as Hell. Without thinking I replied, "yea, I think I can fix that."
Ooops. He looked at me like I'd shot his dog. Still got a decent deal on the rifle though.
Both the .300 and my 6mm 700s now have nice, clean breaks at 3 pounds and zero problems.

If this "issue" is just caused by idiots, either screwing around or neglecting the rifle, then I'm going back to bed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:03:51 AM EDT
[#21]
But, I'd still like to know, mechanically what causes it? Zhick proposed an answer and Jacare hinted at one. I already knew there was a recall and why. If it's just lube and bubba, I'm unconcerned. But the articles hint at a mechanical flaw, even stating a 5-cent fix was proposed by a Remington engineer. I don't expect a TV journalist to understand the principal of a lever but surely SOMEONE knows.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:20:33 AM EDT
[#22]
It's a problem that does occur in clean, unmodified and lightly used triggers also. The local tac teams here use AI rifles after a marksman let one loose from a Remington while pushing the safety forward to unload after a callout.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Too shallow of sear engagement from factory
Old grease and shit in the sear
People with no clue messing with their triggers 

Or some combination of the above 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:59:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Too shallow of sear engagement from factory
Old grease and shit in the sear
People with no clue messing with their triggers 

Or some combination of the above 
View Quote

I don't wanna crap on Remington be it old school, or new school Remington, but I don't hear about people who own Savage Arm bolt rifles be they 80 years old, or a budget Savage Axis/Axis II, or these new Ruger American bolt rifle going off at random.

For whatever reason it sounds like the 700 line has something fucky going on. I thought that all got fixed late 90's, but apparently not?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:10:03 AM EDT
[#25]
tag,
I have a 243 has to be at least as old as early 80s...flipped safety off to unload and BOOM...around 1993ish, I really need to get that rifle out more, lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:15:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I have owned a number of Remington 700 and 600's from the 1960's through the 2000's and have never had an issue.
Follow the four rules in absolute and if your rifle is truly a problem child then seek help.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:23:43 AM EDT
[#27]
The problem with the X-Mark pro triggers was too much 'bonding agent' somewhere. (if you've ever used loc tite you know how it can run like a bitch if you use even a little too much) Likely the mechanical aspect was some of the excess epoxy/thread locker got into or onto the safety and caused it to rub on the sear or trigger itself, causing enough movement to let the striker go.

They couldn't pinpoint a particular batch so they just recalled everything. Of course not all rifles are actually affected, but the number that ARE warranted a full recall and inspection. My buddy has two guns that waited a year to go back because of the months-long turnaround time that Gravel Agency had... (Canada's Remington importer/warrenty center)
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:30:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
they did have a recall going on..   my cousin just got a 300 win mag for $250 new out the door with scope and bipod nib.   so I am tempted.

apparently they can possibly fire when not supposed to due to excess bonding agent in the trigger mechanism.

recall info
View Quote
Where does one find such a deal?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:32:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

recall info
View Quote

As much as I dont want to mess with it, If I found a deal on a 308 varmint anywhere close to that, it would come home with me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:37:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I see you're not very familiar with the problem.
View Quote

There are two problems, the trigger, and the morons not pointing the gun in a safe direction.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

recall info
View Quote

WHERE?

Would be an awesome thing to have my silencerco hybrid on
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I've owned a Model 7 since 1996 and have never had it go off while closing the bolt or taking the safety off. I've never even removed the barreled action from the stock.

But, I am thinking of getting a timney or rifle basics replacement now, just for peace of mind. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top