Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/25/2017 1:14:52 AM EDT
Updated with almost finished pics on page 4.

Updated with parts list on page 3.

Had to sell my fun stuff (bass guitar, AR, shooting stuff, etc...) in the fall for family emergency funds. Planned on using some of the tax refund to buy/build an AR again.

Well, my car went out of commision 2 weeks later and my wife's car now needs a new suspension, bearings, allignment, tires (due to above) and who knows what else...

Tax return is now going toward getting our wheels back in order.

Maybe next year.....

I have my health, and I read enough here to know that I really should just buck up and carry on, but dammit if this hasn't been a year of getting knocked back down every time I get back up again. Life goes on...

So, what's up with you?
Cheer me up with some good vibes.

Sorry, sometimes you just need an ear.

Update: This is incredible! I didn't expect any of this, but you guys have amazed me today in more than one way. You all have come together to offer me encouragement, perspective and in an unexpected turn, you guys are making a rifle build possible, that I would only be dreaming about on my own.
I can't express my thanks and appreciation enough!
This community is unlike any other in so many ways, and the way you guys come around a fellow member, whether it be a crisis as in some of these heartbreaking threads or simply to lift another's spirits, you guys get it done!
I will be forever gratefull for all of it, and once this glorious franken gun is complete, I will post pictures of the results of your kindness. Credit will be given for all of your numerous contributions, unless you would rather not be mentioned.
Thank you all again! I've been smiling all day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:21:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm getting divorced
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:23:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear you have your health things will look up OP.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]
You've still got your family brother. Money spends. You'll get back on top,just focus on what's important. Take a breath and think of what you NEED. Take another and be thankful for all you have.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm getting divorced
View Quote

Sorry to hear. Wish you the best.
Thanks for the perspective.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:25:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the same situation as you OP just have to keep moving and hope things will get better
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:26:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:So, what's up with you?
Cheer me up with some good vibes.
View Quote

I pulled a Texan blonde and a Dutch blonde today.  How bou dah?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:27:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi OP, OK I'll give it a try. Sounds like you are on the right track and your head is in the right place. Be thankful for your health and it sounds like you are taking care of your family. I've been married for 18 years and have 3 kids aged 14, 12 and 10. There has not been one year I can remember pass without several struggles of one kind or another- medical, economic, accidents- it's just living life. Take care of those you love and keep making good decisions that take care of your family.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Have you got a mechanic friend you can pay in beer?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:28:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hi OP, OK I'll give it a try. Sounds like you are on the right track and your head is in the right place. Be thankful for your health and it sounds like you are taking care of your family. I've been married for 18 years and have 3 kids aged 14, 12 and 10. There has not been one year I can remember pass without several struggles of one kind or another- medical, economic, accidents- it's just living life. Take care of those you love and keep making good decisions that take care of your family.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:29:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you got a mechanic friend you can pay in beer?
View Quote

Lol. I wish.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:30:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Sympatico OP sympatico hermano
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:30:45 AM EDT
[#12]
My daughter and a friend of hers dressed in similar clothes for kindergarten today and pretended to be twins. It was super cute.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:32:14 AM EDT
[#13]
IM me a paypal address if you want, things are ok for me financially right now, I will make a donation toward an AR to protect your family with.  Not for charity, a guy should have a rifle to protect his family.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:32:44 AM EDT
[#14]
We've all had those years. I posted a thread just like this a few years ago. I knuckled down, cut out expenses, stashed cash, made a budget and (mostly) stuck to it.

Now I'm doing a lot better financially, and am saving even more for the future.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel, OP; just make sure it's not another train coming at you
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:36:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
IM me a paypal address if you want, things are ok for me financially right now, I will make a donation toward an AR to protect your family with.  Not for charity, a guy should have a rifle to protect his family.
View Quote

Same here, message me your paypal addy. People in this country are unstable as fuck right now and you based motherfuckers in WI brought home the gold last November. We might need your help again in the future.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:36:40 AM EDT
[#16]
The bad took me three hours to get home because of a 15 car accident.

A close family friend also died this week.

The good....

I think I'm going to be able to file a form 1 this year.

Arfcom's favorite pirate posted a new pic in another thread.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:49:01 AM EDT
[#17]
but dammit if this hasn't been a year of getting knocked back down every time I get back up again. Life goes on...
View Quote

Bummer dude. But it could be worse.

Dec 2nd my wife got rear ended, she and my son went to the hospital to get checked out. Car totalled. And the auto insurance has its head up a dark and smelly place. 2 weeks later she calls me at work and tells me her neck & jaw are hurting-- classic heart attack symptoms. Back to the heart hospital. (She's better now, it wasn't a real heart attack but serious enough.) Now I have been out of work off & on for 3-4 weeks with bronchitis. And since November, my truck has been broken into twice-- second time they tried to steal it. I've spent over $500 trying to keep it on the road.

Hope things get better real soon.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:53:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you guys for the offers. I don't have a paypal, so that's no bueno, but the offers are much appreciated.
I'll be alright, and I'm sure I'll get there even if things are cloudy right now.
I don't want to burden anyone either.

Thank you though for your generous offers.

And thank you to everyone else for the smiles and perspective.

The wife and I are good....ish and the kids are a handfull, but doing well. Things will look up in time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:55:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Same here, message me your paypal addy. People in this country are unstable as fuck right now and you based motherfuckers in WI brought home the gold last November. We might need your help again in the future.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This warms my heart right here.

I'm coming off the worst two years of my life.  Almost lost my Dad to a drunk driver.  Lost a 13 year job a month later.  Got diagnosed with AS.  Had to sell most of my guns just to keep food on the table.  Lost all my buddies and my hunting lease (I guess I wasn't much good without time and money).

I recently started a new job that will benefit my family tremendously.  Getting started on rebuilding my gun collection.

I still have a long way to go, but keep the faith brother.  I still have to watch the money and all, but there is light at the end of the tunnel if you keep your nose to the grindstone and don't give in to circumstances.

You still live in the greatest country on earth, and comebacks are part of who we are. I told myself 2017 was not going to beat me like the last 2 years.  2017 won't beat you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:05:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm coming off the worst two years of my life.  Almost lost my Dad to a drunk driver.  Lost a 13 year job a month later.  Got diagnosed with AS.  Had to sell most of my guns just to keep food on the table.  Lost all my buddies and my hunting lease (I guess I wasn't much good without time and money).

I recently started a new job that will benefit my family tremendously.  Getting started on rebuilding my gun collection.

I still have a long way to go, but keep the faith brother.  I still have to watch the money and all, but there is light at the end of the tunnel if you keep your nose to the grindstone and don't give in to circumstances.

You still live in the greatest country on earth, and comebacks are part of who we are. I told myself 2017 was not going to beat me like the last 2 years.  2017 won't beat you.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:48:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I had almost twenty k in medical expenses this year. 18k before.I'm with you.

Just dumped 1200 into a trans on a car with 190k on it so we can keep driving it.

Hang tough, it does get better. The anticipation is usually as fun or more than when you finally get one again. They'd what I've found.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:53:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Look at what you have instead of what you dont have...easier said than done, but at the end of the day its just stuff...

Im looking at the possibility of selling a bunch of stuff to pay a local 1% tax I didn't know existed for the past 7-8 years I'd been living here...
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:03:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Happiness isn't having what you want, it's wanting what you have
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:23:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Who knows how cheap they might be next year! 
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm getting divorced
View Quote

Congrats.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm in my late 30s and me and the wife live comfortably and have a nice little chunk put back, and we buy pretty much what we want within reason.

I also have a fairly large penis.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Where are you in wi? Pm me if you don't want to aay publicly.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Look at what you have instead of what you dont have...easier said than done, but at the end of the day its just stuff...

Im looking at the possibility of selling a bunch of stuff to pay a local 1% tax I didn't know existed for the past 7-8 years I'd been living here...
View Quote

Lol, you too, huh?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#29]
OP, log out and log back in.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Who knows how cheap they might be next year! 
View Quote

This OP!  The way things are going you might be able to get a heck of a deal next year.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#31]
At least you know your wife is with you through thick and thin, wealthy or poor.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. In the end it's just stuff. I bet enough of us have enough spare parts in spare parts boxes to donate to build a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#33]
It really is about perspective as mentioned earlier. My wife's cousin just found out he has stage 3 multiple myeloma which is not curable. He is a real salt of the earth kind of guy with a wonderful sense of humor. A great husband and father to 4 young children. He is not whining about his predicament but quite to the contrary. If I may quote him, "It's God's story, I'm just living it". 
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#34]
It gets better.  I've been forced down to one pistol before and it sucked.  My collection is now much better than it was before I was forced to sell.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear. Wish you the best.
Thanks for the perspective.
View Quote

No, it's a good thing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been there.  It sucks having to do what has to be done. 

Maybe buy a lower if you have the opportunity to get one for cheap.  That's how I started back into ARs.

As mentioned before me, if you can do some of the car repairs yourself/with friends, it will save you a pile of money.  It doesn't take much in the way of equipment or skills.  Maybe post something in the WI forum?  If you weren't 6 or more hours away, I'd see I'd try to get you to come over and pay me in beer. 
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Learn to do your own mechanics and you will save thousands a year. Literally did the entire front suspension And steering on my truck complete inner outers upper lowers pitman ect ect. for about a 1/4 of what a shop wanted.   And ordered my tires online and ended up with $700 tires for $444 installed

My emergency fund IS my guns. If I have an unxpected expense I just sell something. Never have lost money on a deal either. Pick them up cheap and break even fast if I have to.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Keep positive man, it's about perspective. My 14 year old niece died right before Christmas of cancer and I almost was unable to see my children at Christmas. I would have traded my nice new cars and AR's ect. and every asset I have in exchange for that not happening.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I wish you the best op.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I wish you the best op.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I know this sucks OP, but use it as an opportunity to build an actual emergency fund. At a minimum, build up 6 months of living expenses in an account that you don't touch but can access reasonably easily (think high-yield savings). It'll prevent this situation in the future, or at least make it easier to manage. 
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Ever hear the ole saying 2 is one and 1 is none?

Now you know why. Always have atleast 2.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There has to be enough spare parts in all our gun closets, we can send to OP to build a basic AR for at least home defense. I'd be down for a few mags full of ammo or a parts kit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Was going to buy you a membership, but someone already did

Hang in there OP.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Log out and log back in
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#47]
At least you're being optimistic 
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#48]
The generosity in this thread is fantastic!
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The generosity in this thread is fantastic!
View Quote

Warms the heart, doesn't it? I've seen some amazing acts of kindness and charity on Arfcom... people loaning, even GIVING guns to others in need.. offering to stand guard for a divorcee with lousy husband... one guy paid for another guy's veterinary bills.

Gets dusty in here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a spare LPK and buffertube kit. It's not much but it's a start. I will give it to you OP. Pm me if you are interested.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top