Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/24/2017 1:26:31 PM EDT
I've lost quite a few family members and friends throughout my life. Every instance was tremendously difficult.

An hour ago I lost my dog and best buddy of nearly 17 years.

This is different level grief.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Very sorry to hear it. I had to put my 17 year old cat down last week - best cat I've ever been around. I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Its like losing a child................... This coming from a man who has buried both a child and a good pup
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its like losing a child................... This coming from a man who has buried both a child and a good pup
View Quote

Never lost a child, but I feel like I did. I mourn him every day since Nov 9, 2015
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sorry, OP.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Condolences OP.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Dogs really are the best kind of people, sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#8]
If you think your dog is hard try losing a child.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#9]
so very sorry for the loss , i lost my jack 17 years ago and still think about him every day , i still have a picture of him in my tool box at work .

it hurts like a bitch
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I've lost three dogs in my nearly 50 years.  Lost a bunch, if not most of my family members as well.  The dogs were always the hardest as they were always with me.

Sorry for your loss as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I was hunting in South Dakota when my buddy called me and told me that my labrador Patsy had died.I was driving a new truck back from Detroit to Kodiak and had to leave the next morning. I had to pull over and sob every couple hundred miles most of the way back. I swore I would never let anything get that close to me again. Im sorry for your loss. Lots of pups out there in need of a good home,go get one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#12]
So sorry
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you think your dog is hard try losing a child.
View Quote
Yep 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry for your loss
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry man, I know the feeling all too much
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#16]
The day I put this boy down was the hardest day of my life. Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#18]
My condolences OP.

Rest easy, pup.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I have lost two...my third, a 16yo Black Lab, is quickly approaching. I try not to think abou it but miss the little quirks of each every day.

From the anxious pats at my calves while I walk through the house to the always having to be touching me while I'm on the couch be it on my lap or a simple paw pressed against my leg.

Nothing can allliviate the hurt.

Sorry for your loss OP.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I am very sorry for your loss.  I know mine is like a child to me - Hard to explain the bond, but he's always there for me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry , buddy. It's unbelievably hard. Hang in there. Attachment Attached File

ETA for picture.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm so sorry OP, but to equate the loss of a Dog with that of a Human is a whole new lever of derp.

I've lost probably 15 or 20 dogs through the years and not a one can measure in the loss of a Human.

Humans are created in Gods image.  Animals aren't.

Priorities are a life skill.

Best to learn it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm so sorry OP, but to equate the loss of a Dog with that of a Human is a whole new lever of derp.

I've lost probably 15 or 20 dogs through the years and not a one can measure in the loss of a Human.

Best to learn it.
View Quote

Derp indeed. You even herped for good measure.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Derp indeed. You even herped for good measure.
View Quote

So is your post to say that animals are indeed more important than Humans?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Best to learn it.
View Quote

Immediate family excluded, I take the loss of my dogs a lot harder than those of cousins, aunts/uncles, etc.  This has nothing to do with priorities.  Since I have no use for religion, the God aspect has no meaning to me.  OP, I am sorry to hear of your loss.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I am very sorry for your loss OP. It is so hard and on so many levels non dag persons like above poster just don't get it and never will.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Best to learn it.
View Quote
To come into this thread and take the OP to task for his feelings is a whole new level of "derp".
He is expressing his grief, grief that is only a few hours old.
Come in, express your condolences or pass on the thread, don't come in to correct him.  

ETA. My condolences OP, the pain is a bitch.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
To come into this thread and take the OP to task for his feelings is a whole new level of "derp".
He is expressing his grief, grief that is only a few hours old.
Come in, express your condolences or pass on the thread, don't come in to correct him.  
View Quote

OP made a statement that the loss of a dog is harder than that of family members.  And now I'm the bad guy?

Have you ever wondered why some dude kills another dude for 6 bucks?  Yep..... It's because we prioritize things that should not be prioritized.

See the Dog in my avatar?  Yep, I had to put him down in November.  Cried before and after.  I don't cry when I hear of some random person dying in
a car crash...... However to intimate that my Dogs life had more importance in some way than a family member is a bit out there.

Anyway.... Again OP, I am sorry for your loss.  It hurts every time.  Yours was 17.  Even though a very long life it still always seems too short. Max in my avatar was 16.
I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I am sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#31]
       I've lost probably 15 or 20 dogs through the years    
View Quote

Maybe if you treated your dogs a little more humanely, those numbers wouldn't be that high .

Douchebag

Sorry for your loss OP, I know how you feel.

The dog in my avatar, Angel, was the best dog I ever had the pleasure to accompany me.

She could read my mind and was a fierce guardian of my two daughters as they were growing up.

I miss her dearly .
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#32]
In my 62 yrs I've lost my share of both, dog's and friends and relatives, the loss of  just several of them dogs in all those years drained more tears out of me than all the humans combined. Call me an asshole if you want I really don't give a fuck.
Edit to add sorry for your loss OP.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Condolences
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Maybe if you treated your dogs a little more humanely,
those numbers wouldn't be that high .

Douchebag

Sorry for your loss OP, I know how you feel.

The dog in my avatar, Angel, was the best dog I ever had the pleasure to accompany me.

She could read my mind and was a fierce guardian of my two daughters as they were growing up.

I miss her dearly .
View Quote

Wow, you're a real gem.

How old are you?

Are you able to do math that many decades of dogs coupled with multiple dogs equals many dogs that die in your care?

Nah, that's too complicated for you.

By the way, the dog in you avatar is looking a bit uncared for.  You may want to fix that.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Wow, you're a real gem.

How old are you?

Are you able to do math that many decades of dogs coupled with multiple dogs equals many dogs that die in your care?

Nah, that's too complicated for you.

By the way, the dog in you avatar is looking a bit uncared for.  You may want to fix that.  
View Quote

How about you GTFO of this thread. It takes a real piece of shit to come in here and crap all over the thread. Regardless of how you or OP feel, this is not the place to discuss it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#37]
          By the way, the dog in you avatar is looking a bit uncared for. You may want to fix that  
View Quote

She's dead Einstein, thus the spot of honor.

Nice try though.

eta: I'm 60
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How about you GTFO of this thread. It takes a real piece of shit to come in here and crap all over the thread. Regardless of how you or OP feel, this is not the place to discuss it.
View Quote
That's just how he is,I think he's autistic or something
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Very sorry for your loss, it is a hard thing. We lost the real KAZ, a GSD in his 12th year and still remember him and all the joy and dedicated love he gave us. We had a big yellow Tom named Archie that came to us as a rescue kitten at the same time Kaz was a pup and they were best pals and hunted our property together until KAZ passed. As deep as our grief over our dogs passing was, Archie took it much harder until he passed. So, we remember the bright sunny times of all friends/family members. I hope that you are remembering a great time with your Dog right now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Sorry for your loss OP.
RIP pup.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I appreciate the kind sentiments. And to the people saying nasty things, I'm not even mad. She would have been excited to meet you with a wagging too all the same
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#42]
It tears my heart every time I lose a dog. Then I turn right around and get another one, because life ain't worth living without a dog or two in your life.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Sorry OP.

This fellow is going to break my damn heart some day.

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Threads like this make me sad.   Sorry for your loss OP.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Sorry for your loss OP! 

Live on the memories of the good times and the unconditional love you received! My wife and I lost this guy last April. He was a character! The grief slowly eases, but you never stop missing them!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Thank you for being such a great dog parent to your beloved dog.

RIP to your buddy. Will raise a glass to your friend tonight.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thank you for being such a great dog parent to your beloved dog.

RIP to your buddy. Will raise a glass to your friend tonight.
View Quote

I will also.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#49]
When my 15 yr old Cattle dog dies, I wont have anyone in my life
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#50]
When you get a pet, you know you will eventually lose it.  You may even have to arrange for its death.  You may have gotten that pet as a puppy and have it until its health fails.

When you have a child, the expectation is that your child will outlive you.  You will have them as newborn, and infant, a toddler, a child, a teenager, a young adult, and if you are lucky, a mature adult who will in turn have children of their own.

With all due respect, losing a pet is not on the same plane as losing a child.  I lost a son nearly twenty years ago.  When I die it will be with an unhealed, broken heart.  I've had pets and I cried when they died.  But I moved on.  You can always get another pet.  Frankly, they are pretty interchangeable.  How they turn out is dependent on how they are trained.

You can't replace a child.  

OP, I am sorry for your loss.  It may indeed be the worst loss you have ever experienced.  I pray that you will never lose a child.  It is the worst possible thing that can happen to a person.

Losing a pet is not.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top