Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/24/2017 1:15:53 PM EDT
http://www.syracuse.com/health/index.ssf/2017/02/anxiety_over_trump_sending_more_americans_to_mental_health_therapists.html "SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Mental health professionals nationwide are seeing a steady stream of patients coming in with anxiety and depression related to daily news about the Trump administration, according to Kaiser Health News.

Requests for therapy appointments to Talkspace, an online therapy portal based in New York City, tripled immediately following the election and have remained high through January, according to the company.

"In my 28 years in practice, I've never seen anything like this level of stress," Nancy Molitor, a Chicago area psychologist, told Kaiser Health News. She says the vast majority of her patients -- from millennials to those in their 80s -- are bringing up politics in their therapy sessions. "What we're seeing now after the inauguration is a huge uptick in anxiety."

Many of her patients say they are having trouble sleeping and focusing at work or are fighting more with family members.

The politics-induced anxiety is so common it's been given an unofficial name: Post-Election Stress Disorder.

Fifty-seven percent of Americans report that the current political climate is a very or somewhat significant source of stress, and 40 percent say the same about the outcome of the election, according to a survey of 1,019 adults conducted by the American Psychological Association after the inauguration. Between August 2016 and January 2017, the overall average stress level increased significantly for the first time since the Stress in America survey began 10 years ago.

It's not just Democrats who are bringing up politics on the couch. The survey found 26 percent of Republicans say the outcome of the election is stressing them out, too.

"I'm seeing lot of anxiety and anger on both sides," said Elaine DuCharme, a psychologist in Glastonbury, Conn. "People who are Republicans are afraid to tell anyone. They're afraid that everybody thinks that every Republican thinks exactly as Trump does, and support every single thing he does."

She says some of her patients are particularly concerned about maintaining civil relationships with friends and loved ones who have different political opinions."
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Amazing how weak us humans have become. What is this, France?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Pussies.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Previously it was called "whiney little bitch syndrome"
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Amazingly the election result had quite the opposite effect on the other half of the population.  Including myself.

I love winning.  MAGA.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
You know, I can relate to this.  I keep calling my doctor, because of this massive freedom boner I have everyday that never seems go away.  Even my wife is starting to suffer from this.  Bless her heart she is trying to help me, but lets face it, a freedom boner really punishes her insides.

I just watch 20 seconds of the idiots on CNN whine and cry, and boom freedom boner engage!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
So far I do support everything Trump does. I'm not afraid to tell anyone if they ask or bring it up. And I believe the media has gone over the edge with bullshit, I don't even watch the local news anymore. All these celebs and shit have completely alienated me, can't really support the work of people with that much hatred for me. Activists and protesters are getting old, most of that shit doesn't even make sense. Are that many people that delusional? The entire democrat party seems un hinged, they really are corrupt. Their actions and statements all but prove it after their loss. I don't know what angle they are going to come up with next to try and reverse the election. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Drugs really ARE for some people.

Holy shit, is society FUCKED.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Those are the ~20% who still trust the media. After a year of hearing CNN and MSNBC telling them that Trump will destroy the world they actually believe it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Remember the college student who had to "seek immediate therapy and counseling" because she saw "Trump 2016" written in chalk on the campus sidewalk?

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#11]
*snort*
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I am loving it
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am loving it
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Amazingly the election result had quite the opposite effect on the other half of the population.  Including myself.

I love winning.  MAGA.
View Quote

Very much so.

Based on folks I know who work in the mental health field, there are a lot of people who were fearing violence that had gone on for 8 years unabated on the border who now already feel a hell of a lot safer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Long read but this is from a Democrat supporting therapist who tried to get leftists to calm down with some facts and logic.

He is probably very busy today.

Long but good write up for a lefty
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Na na na na na na na na na na na

na na na na na na na na na na na

na na na na na na na na na na na
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't remember anybody being too concerned about those of us who felt threatened by Obama.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#20]
It's beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://www.syracuse.com/health/index.ssf/2017/02/anxiety_over_trump_sending_more_americans_to_mental_health_therapists.html "SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Mental health professionals nationwide are seeing a steady stream of patients coming in with anxiety and depression related to daily news about the Trump administration, according to Kaiser Health News.

Requests for therapy appointments to Talkspace, an online therapy portal based in New York City, tripled immediately following the election and have remained high through January, according to the company.

"In my 28 years in practice, I've never seen anything like this level of stress," Nancy Molitor, a Chicago area psychologist, told Kaiser Health News. She says the vast majority of her patients -- from millennials to those in their 80s -- are bringing up politics in their therapy sessions. "What we're seeing now after the inauguration is a huge uptick in anxiety."

Many of her patients say they are having trouble sleeping and focusing at work or are fighting more with family members.

The politics-induced anxiety is so common it's been given an unofficial name: Post-Election Stress Disorder.

Fifty-seven percent of Americans report that the current political climate is a very or somewhat significant source of stress, and 40 percent say the same about the outcome of the election, according to a survey of 1,019 adults conducted by the American Psychological Association after the inauguration. Between August 2016 and January 2017, the overall average stress level increased significantly for the first time since the Stress in America survey began 10 years ago.

It's not just Democrats who are bringing up politics on the couch. The survey found 26 percent of Republicans say the outcome of the election is stressing them out, too.

"I'm seeing lot of anxiety and anger on both sides," said Elaine DuCharme, a psychologist in Glastonbury, Conn. "People who are Republicans are afraid to tell anyone. They're afraid that everybody thinks that every Republican thinks exactly as Trump does, and support every single thing he does."

She says some of her patients are particularly concerned about maintaining civil relationships with friends and loved ones who have different political opinions."
View Quote

Oh good God. We put up with Obama's marxist bullshit for 8 years. It isn't that bad. Good grief. If it is, then just curl up like a worm on a hook and fucking die already.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Those are the ~20% who still trust the media. After a year of hearing CNN and MSNBC telling them that Trump will destroy the world they actually believe it.
View Quote

whathesaid.jpg.

Been railing on this to anyone and everyone I care about in my life and community. The true evil in our society is the "fourth estate", they have absolute contempt for both the truth and the citizens of our great nation. Unacceptable behavior, and with modern social tools, becoming more and more obvious.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Lol, pussies.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't remember anybody being too concerned about those of us who felt threatened by Obama.
View Quote

That's because feeling threatened by The First Black President is a definite sign of racism.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#25]
This seems to trigger a certain ethnic population in my AO.

Attachment Attached File

MAGA
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Hopefully they are prescribed.

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Shrinks should offer them cyanide pills.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Typical left wing horseshit.   Most of these damn therapists, physiologists and physiatrists are liberal whiners and gasbags.  Well I was going to go on a rant, but fuck it there just being assholes and taking their liberal sniveling snowflake patients money.  Fuck um all!
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ill see your  and raise you 
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Basket of razors? Can we put them outside the therapists offices?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#33]
You know what we need? We need a good plague to come around.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#34]
The Rapists?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#36]
SPNI
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Rapists?
View Quote

Suck it Trebek!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#38]
They should all go drink bleach or jump off a bridge.

Weak fools.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Pretty sure they had disorders before the election. lol
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Racists don't count
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Epic. Simply epic.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I must suffer from post ecstatic disorder

Obama was a real bummer
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Previously it was called "whiney little bitch syndrome"
View Quote

bingo
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Are that many people that delusional? 
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#47]
I have always thought liberals needed psychiatric treatment - guess they are figuring that out too!
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Needs moar...

Attachment Attached File

TC
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Typical left wing horseshit.   Most of these damn therapists, physiologists and physiatrists are liberal whiners and gasbags.  Well I was going to go on a rant, but fuck it there just being assholes and taking their liberal sniveling snowflake patients money.  Fuck um all!
View Quote

are you having a stroke?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Forgive me if I am skeptical of the results of their leftist survey.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top