Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2017 1:07:43 PM EDT
slow sales, will they be the next Sears?

J.C. Penney's fourth-quarter sales were slightly worse than expected - a 0.9 percent drop to $3.96 billion, lower than the expected $3.98 billion      
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Who still actually shops at a penny's?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#2]
They should have closed years ago, haven't been able to evolve their business model for modern times.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This guy.

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

People who collectively departed with $3.96billion.

I'm blown away their quarterly sales are still in the billions. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
They are still in business?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Haven't bought anything from there in 20 years
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Old people
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Me. 
View Quote

Me too
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Me too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Me. 

Me too
Me three. But I'm grumpy and old.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh yeah?  Well I personally have never even HEARD of JC Penney before.  How do you like that?  In fact, if I should find that my wife has ever shopped there, I'm going to divorce her.  I'll drive off a fuckin' cliff before driving past a JC Penney.  I'll shit in a hat and wear it before I set foot in one.  That just how far above it all I am.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do.  Hit the sales and you can save a lot of money on clothes.  Got my work shirts (I did field service and had to look presentable)  there for years.  Usually BOGO etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Article doesn't make it sound too bad, unlike the "any day now" sense KMart/Sears give off.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#14]
when's the GOOB sale?

I need a new gas range...
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Been going downhill ever since they stopped selling guns......
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Way back in the day we would wear nothing but Penny's Towncraft t-shirts and Levi's.

They made some darn nice t-shirts.
I miss them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#17]
That's disappointing.  Although they've been underperforming like all of retail lately, they never rebounded from the disastrous management of CEO Ron Johnson, who ran off a lot of their core customers, with bad pricing, merchandising and marketing models, never to return.  Kohl's, who basically occupies the same market niche as Penney's, had a very good quarterly report, which tells us that a lot of people still shop at that level of retailer, just not at Penney's.  Great example of why it's a bad idea to alienate your core customer base, because the likelihood of them coming back isn't good.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't understand how stores think they can keep doing what they've done since they started and not die off in the 21st century.

Yes, they are sometimes convenient if you need to try clothes on or see something physical before buying it significantly cheaper online. And clearance sales are pretty good. But no store can survive on old people and end of season sales.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top