Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a money thing. As the volume of DUIs go down the state and local governments need to replace the lost revenue.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They really need to move it down to 0,01

That way they can wring maximum media points out of every arrest - "He blew a 0.1 THAT'S 10 TIMES THE LEGAL LIMIT!!!"

The old threshold of 0.1  had plenty of merit.  0.08 is just some MADD bullshit.  When someone gets popped at 0.14 the media screams about them being "nearly twice the legal limit"

Yet every time I see a crash, the reported BAC is not 0.09  - it is 0.18 or higher.  Drunks are gonna get drunk.  They get REAL drunk.  Sadly, they will still drive no matter what, and the courts will keep putting them back on the street. Driving after your 3rd DUI conviction should be impossible. The only thing a limit that low (0.05) will do is put a bunch of casual drinkers (and some mouthwash users) in jail.  The drunks will still be o the road.
View Quote

I can tell you, as a former LEO who was trained in DWI recognition and in another school as a drinker, that .08% is too intoxicated to safely operate a motor vehicle.  Texas A&M has conducted MANY studies on this as well.  I fully support the .08% presumed level of intoxication.  

When LEOs are trained they have other LEOs at the school who are assigned to drink so that the students can practice the Field Sobriety tests.  The instructors have the drinkers drink to different levels of BAC.  They have those below and above the .08%.  Percentages are determined and verified by an Intoxilizer.  Drinkers are not told their BAC prior to being tested by the students, and are instructed to perform the tests as best possible.  

I learned two important things at my schools, properly completed FSTs are extremely accurate, and .08% is definitely intoxicated.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I can tell you, as a former LEO who was trained in DWI recognition and in another school as a drinker, that .08% is too intoxicated to safely operate a motor vehicle.  Texas A&M has conducted MANY studies on this as well.  I fully support the .08% presumed level of intoxication.  

When LEOs are trained they have other LEOs at the school who are assigned to drink so that the students can practice the Field Sobriety tests.  The instructors have the drinkers drink to different levels of BAC.  They have those below and above the .08%.  Percentages are determined and verified by an Intoxilizer.  Drinkers are not told their BAC prior to being tested by the students, and are instructed to perform the tests as best possible.  

I learned two important things at my schools, properly completed FSTs are extremely accurate, and .08% is definitely intoxicated.
View Quote
The cops I use to party with didn't get that memo.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 I'd bet that your average collegiate level athlete can drive better with a .08 BAL than a sober 70 year old curmudgeon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
 I'd bet that your average collegiate level athlete can drive better with a .08 BAL than a sober 70 year old curmudgeon.
 Haahaa, no.  ;)

I think they should transition to a reaction timing filed test than a BAL test.  In fact, the reaction timing test should be part of the driver's license test.  If your reaction timing sucks when sober...you probably shouldn't drive.

So instead of DUI...maybe we issue RTS (reaction time sucks) tickets instead.

Alcohol first affects your decision making, even before there are any physical symptoms. It matters not if you are an athlete or old.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's always been a huge fund raiser for municipalities.  Just another way to bleed the public of funds. Why not increase the pool of potential targets? Statists gonna Statist
View Quote

lol.....  Nope. Not even close
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Why bother?   Does one really have to drink when driving and going out?   One cannot go out and determine that if they have to drive, they can survive without consuming alcohol?    Are people really that dependent on alcohol?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#12]
0.05 is basically zero tolerance.  They need to quit pussy footing around and just say if you blow over 0.0 you get a DUI.  

I mean what's next....they going to drop it to 0.02?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#13]

lulz.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#14]
U Turn Around Here
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why bother?   Does one really have to drink when driving and going out?   One cannot go out and determine that if they have to drive, they can survive without consuming alcohol?    Are people really that dependent on alcohol?
View Quote

Yes they are.

I have at least one close call EVERYDAY with some jackhole fucking with his phone. I'd rather be on the road at closing time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's always been a huge fund raiser for municipalities.  Just another way to bleed the public of funds. Why not increase the pool of potential targets? Statists gonna Statist

What's not even close? Please argue and tell me that DUI laws are about lives. Is that why the founder of MADD stepped down after realizing it's all about money now?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

BS. a 1st time run of the mill DUI in TX will easily cost you $10k in fines and fees, not counting lawyers
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Why stop there? Why not just make alcohol illegal in Utah? It worked out so well when it was tried on the national level...
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Go ahead and lower it to 0.01% - zero tolerance. Then a DUI will lose its meaning, and no one will give a fuck anymore. Oh, you got a DUI? Haha, those are such a joke. ZFG.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#20]
That's just the per se limit for license revocation.  Driving while impaired is the standard as it has always been.

The real question is "At what point will people stop drinking and driving?"  You would think those who do it would have learned by now.  We have these laws to cater to the lowest common denominator of citizen who habitually abuses alcohol then determines they are good to go while under the influence of alcohol.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Oh you know, because, Safety. It's for the children. Thank God we have our heroes in blue to ruin the lives of everyday people for having a beer with lunch

Oh but states rights. This certainly isn't about money or abusive over reach by the government or their JBT's. Nope. It's for the good of the common man.

At least it's up in that LDS hovel of a state, and not anywhere that matters. Have 9 wives? no biggie. Some underage? Oh that's no biggie, our good book says its ok.

You had a beer? A BEER!? Lock him up officers. Make sure you bankrupt him too.
View Quote

I'm not LDS. But, why do you feel the need to bring religion into it? Polygamy?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Impairment is not just a number.

Don't drink and drive, won't get arrested for drinking and driving.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Oh you know, because, Safety. It's for the children. Thank God we have our heroes in blue to ruin the lives of everyday people for having a beer with lunch

Oh but states rights. This certainly isn't about money or abusive over reach by the government or their JBT's. Nope. It's for the good of the common man.

At least it's up in that LDS hovel of a state, and not anywhere that matters. Have 9 wives? no biggie. Some underage? Oh that's no biggie, our good book says its ok.

View Quote

Polygamy is illegal in Utah.  It is also not tolerated in the LDS church and those who try it are excommunicated.  No underage wives either.  The law is about idiots who routinely exercise poor judgment when it comes to their booze and cars.  

You are correct, it isn't about money or government overreach.  It is about protecting the motoring public from assholes who drink and drive.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Polygamy is illegal in Utah.  It is also not tolerated in the LDS church and those who try it are excommunicated.  No underage wives either.  The law is about idiots who routinely exercise poor judgment when it comes to their booze and cars.  

You are correct, it isn't about money or government overreach.  It is about protecting the motoring public from assholes who drink and drive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if the standard is already impairment and people are still driving drunk with .08, how does moving the presumptive threshold to .05 make anything more safe?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#25]
It's going to get really interesting when we have self driving cars.  Yeah, I'm sure they are still going to say that there must be a sober operator in the vehicle (in case of emergencies) despite the fact that self driving will likely be safer than human driven.  The problem is this:  How are you going to get RS to pull someone over if the car is programed to drive straight and follow all traffic laws to the letter?  Same goes for a lot of other criminals that police nab on pretense driving violations.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not to worry, in a few more years, it'll be 0.1.  If you blow anything but 0's you'll get a DUI.  They need the money!!!  Don't ya know, the govt is BROKE, especially at the local level!!
View Quote

In a few more years your car probably won't start if you blow over a .01.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Wont stop the pros out there

Just about money
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wont stop the pros out there

Just about money
View Quote

Uber and changing societal attitudes about drinking has gotta be killing the DUI business.

Probably hitting the diminishing returns point, just like cigarette taxes.
Raise taxes, fewer people smoke, less tax money for governments to redistribute.
Raise taxes again, even fewer people smoke, states run out of that sweet, sweet revenue to line their nest with.
Rinse, repeat.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Lol. Gotta keep that sweet sweet money train moving somehow!

Doin right ain't got no end.
View Quote

The checkpoints aren't bringing in enough cash.  Have to find a way to make them profitable.

Generally, here, at least what is reported,  is around 5-9 DUI 's per night out of 150+ - vehicles stopped
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Isn't there an interstate commerce clause violation there as Texans wouldn't be able to drive in Utah?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why stop there? Why not just make alcohol illegal in Utah? It worked out so well when it was tried on the national level...
View Quote

Because the state makes lots of money with their alcohol sales tax.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I would say 60-70% of the drunks I get refuse a breath test anywyas and i still charge them so this is just "meh"
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

As long as it's bashing Mormons the mods don't give two damns. You can say anything you want. True or not. Topic or not.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Mormon's irrational fear of alcohol
View Quote

In before we're told this has absolutely nothing to do with, and no relation at all to mormonism.

Muslims do the exact same thing everywhere they accumulate power.  

< CoC1 violation removed.  Warning issued. -- > has the same political outcome, but with the sensible haircut of an honest man in a starchy shirt and tie.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Agree
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see no reason to lower it to that level.

A person can still be convicted of DUI at a .05 if you can demonstrate the person could not properly operate a vehicle. I have made several such cases.

I'd love to see their research behind the new number.

Agree

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'd love to see their research behind the new number.
View Quote
I'm guessing it went something like:  "There were 78,000 people who registered between .05 and .08 in 2016.  If we can capture this lost revenue for the state, it will be a win."  
$2,500 x 7,800 = $19,500,00 
And that's how you 'State'. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

In before we're told this has absolutely nothing to do with, and no relation at all to mormonism.

< Removed.  Please don't complain about CoC violations and then quote them. -- BB > has the same political outcome, but with the sensible haircut of an honest man in a starchy shirt and tie.
View Quote

Way to turn this tread into a personal attack! Now we are Muslim. Got it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Uber and changing societal attitudes about drinking has gotta be killing the DUI business.

Probably hitting the diminishing returns point, just like cigarette taxes.
Raise taxes, fewer people smoke, less tax money for governments to redistribute.
Raise taxes again, even fewer people smoke, states run out of that sweet, sweet revenue to line their nest with.
Rinse, repeat.
View Quote

This guy gets it.

When the state runs out of way to make criminals (and in turn revenue), it creates them.

Anyone who thinks that nanny government is just a benevolent parent looking out for the people's best interest is a loon. That may have been the case once long ago, but it is certainly not the case today.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So if the standard is already impairment and people are still driving drunk with .08, how does moving the presumptive threshold to .05 make anything more safe?
View Quote

The intent would be that those who are going to drink and drive will drink less because they understand that the threshold at which their license can be revoked or where they are legally drunk is lower.  It is a deterrent.  Apparently the citizens in Utah are tired of dealing with drunken assholes driving on their roads.

ETA - I personally am of the opinion that it won't make a bit of difference because those with a proclivity to drink and drive will do it no matter what; they have neither good judgment nor self control and will continue to drink and drive.  It is a vicious cycle for them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#40]

Topic much??
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

< Removed. -- BB > has the same political outcome, but with the sensible haircut of an honest man in a starchy shirt and tie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mormon's irrational fear of alcohol

< Removed. -- BB > has the same political outcome, but with the sensible haircut of an honest man in a starchy shirt and tie.

Mormonism makes me chuckle too, but it's not just Mormons who back morality laws.  

Ever try and buy liquor on Sundays in Texas?
Ever heard of dry counties?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#42]
In a perfect world, anything over .1 (or somewhere close) would be a DUI, and in the case of an accident, anything over .075 would lead to add-on criminal penalties based upon injuries and damage caused by the wreck.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Damn, you can get that from just sniffing the cap.
View Quote

Or an ounce of Nyquil.  Don't have a cold and drive in Utah...LOL
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Here n AZ we have about five or so different DUI statutes that you can be charged with, one of which is termed "impaired to the slightest degree" meaning you could be a .01 and depending on how it was written you just bought yourself a DUI here.
View Quote

Here in WA if you blow over .08 it's a DWI. Anything under is a DUI, with all of the same penalties as a DWI. Happened to a friend of mine years ago. He blew a .06 and figured he was good since he was under the legal limit. Nope, cuffed and stuffed. Cost him well over $8000 before he was all done.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#45]
This is a good resource that shows how many drinks will cause impairment http://www.brad21.org/bac_charts.html.  The chart is based on averages, so there will be some that can handle more alcohol in their system and not be impaired.  For example, an average 180 lb. male can have a beer with his lunch, especially if he waits about half an hour before driving.  Have a few beers?, he may be pushing it.  Some may not show impairment, but on the average they will.  When I was a patrolman, I seldom encountered someone who was DUI that had only  had a couple drinks with a meal.  It was nearly always someone who was shitfaced drunk, or who couldn't handle their liquor and decided to drive anyway.  Only twice did I encounter someone below .08 who I charged with driving impaired.  They both appeared and acted like their BAC was much higher than it was.  Best just to exercise good judgment and know when to call a cab or get a ride home with a sober person.  Again, those who get DUI's rarely have good judgment and good common sense.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Mormonism makes me chuckle too, but it's not just Mormons who back morality laws.  

View Quote

You're absolutely right on all counts.

This particular one's on < Removed. -- BB > though.   Along with their bullshit 3% ABV beer limit.  I'm not aware of that anyplace else.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This particular one's on < Removed. -- BB > though. Along with their bullshit 3% ABV beer limit.  I'm not aware of that anyplace else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This particular one's on < Removed. -- BB > though. Along with their bullshit 3% ABV beer limit.  I'm not aware of that anyplace else.

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Here in WA if you blow over .08 it's a DWI. Anything under is a DUI, with all of the same penalties as a DWI. Happened to a friend of mine years ago. He blew a .06 and figured he was good since he was under the legal limit. Nope, cuffed and stuffed. Cost him well over $8000 before he was all done.
View Quote

This is why it pays to:  a)  Not speak to the police if you have been doing stupid shit, and b)  Know the law in your state

If a cop asks me to do FST my answer is "no".  There is implied consent for breath or blood in my AO.  I don't have to speak with or walk for them.  Your buddy probably did a FST and made it easy for the cop to prove impairment - maybe on camera for the jury to watch and laugh at him.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

The last I heard Ohio is basically the same with OVI. Really just their discretion if they'll charge you or not, slightly tougher argument for impairment on their side, still cost the driver the same. Since intoxicated means any intoxicating substance, pills/weed etc, you get the same charges without a BAC reading at all.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#50]
There should be a license qual to drink and drive.

Go get tested and see how much you can swill down and still drive OK then that gets put on your license. There are people in this state that can't fucking drive safely when they're sober.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top