Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I just signed up for uber for the first time ever this morning.  No I need to change my password again?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just signed up for uber for the first time ever this morning.  No I need to change my password again?
View Quote

No this was patched earlier in the week.  Your password isn't in scope.  Bigger problem is there is a list of 150 companies (per cloudflare) that were impacted.  These guys need to take steps to protect their customers if they didn't have some mitigating technology n place, like agilebits did.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Any of these a problem here?

ar13l.com
ar15mods.com
ar15ona.com
ar15studio.com
ar1i.xyz
ar1i7w.loan
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Same as any other 2 way communication device.  Nothing especially risky about it, you just cannot have them in a secured area.

If you don't know what a SCIF is, then you have nothing to worry about.  If you do know what one is... Then don't take PEDS into a SCIF, and nothing to worry about
View Quote

Exactly.  There is no prohibition once you leave work.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same as any other 2 way communication device.  Nothing especially risky about it, you just cannot have them in a secured area.

If you don't know what a SCIF is, then you have nothing to worry about.  If you do know what one is... Then don't take PEDS into a SCIF, and nothing to worry about

Lighten up everyone.

I'm sure junior is a) being extra careful which is good; and b) is possibly doing some of the age old 'puffing' about a job so as to make pops proud.    By the same token, pops IS proud and impressed.   Its not something about which it makes any sense for people to have a go at each other.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Let's make a new password for everyone.

find your favorite song. we all know GD loves this one.

Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me

https://youtu.be/VuNIsY6JdUw

take some words from that song.

You belong with me

add  a number on the end, and remove the spaces, and replace a couple letters with a symbol or number.

Yoube1ongwithme87

Congrats you now have a 15+ character password that is easy to remember and hardish to crack.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My son is in military intelligence. He is not supposed to use fit bit or any other tech like it. Too much potential for tracking.

He uses uber when he goes to drill. He calls me from a flip phone and I call the uber for him.
View Quote

No fucking way you're serious.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuNIsY6JdUw

You belong with me

add  a number on the end, and remove the spaces, and replace a couple letters with a symbol or number.

Yoube1ongwithme87

Congrats you now have a 15+ character password that is easy to remember and hardish to crack.
View Quote

I use a password manager and have unique, pseudorandom passwords for each site.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lighten up everyone.

I'm sure junior is a) being extra careful which is good; and b) is possibly doing some of the age old 'puffing' about a job so as to make pops proud.    By the same token, pops IS proud and impressed.   Its not something about which it makes any sense for people to have a go at each other.
View Quote

That's great.  I just don't want people to be thinking that there are huge threats they don't know about with their FitBit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You belong with me

Yoube1ongwithme87

View Quote

Thanks for that. That password looks pretty good.

*logs into bank and changes password to that one*
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You belong with me

Yoube1ongwithme87

View Quote

You don't need to add numbers and other crap, it's random and long enough to be uncrackable just having four different words.

It would help if they didn't make grammatical sense though.

I use phrases for encryption of data (like hard drives), but I use LastPass premium for everything else.  So I have a lot of Jie87_!2kkl-%k passwords.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I will be explaining to intelligent (but mostly tarded) corporate infosec people the impact of this and how it's not relevant to them (me) for months..  

I'm waiting on UBER's response.  At this point if by mid morning PST they don't have something up for their customers I will be pretty torqued.  99.999% of people have no clue about this mess or its scale but the UBER should and must advise their customer base if not force a password change.  They have smart people and could figure out a process to make it suck less.

The little guys like okcupid, yeah i doubt their cso/ciso (if they have one) is on this, uber should be way out in front.  

The ONLY platform user at this point notifying or addressing customers is agilebits / 1password6.  

There are LOTS of large platforms that offer similar services that are probably fuzzing the shit out of their code now.   Here's my certs, some intermediate certs i paid millions for in the DLP realm, can you load them on this system shared with 500 other companies, thanks.
View Quote

By the by, OKCupid is not small. It's owned by Match, which also owns Tinder and a host of other dating sites.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Tell me more about password managers. I just installed 1 password on my android an it's already pissed me off... As it gives you a sign up for free trial... And doesn't tell me what it does what it works with or what it costs.  .
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tell me more about password managers. I just installed 1 password on my android an it's already pissed me off... As it gives you a sign up for free trial... And doesn't tell me what it does what it works with or what it costs.  .
View Quote

I use LastPass, which I love.

It has a plugin for Chrome or Firefox and will autofill your webpages. Or it'll put a button on password signup fields and automatically generate your passwords for you. I would originally set it up on a computer.

Then you can have an app that fills things in on your phone as well, but it is a little less seamless. I'll answer anything you want to know if you have other questions. It's made my life so much easier, not having to remember which sites had certain crazy requirements for their passwords.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Which may or may not have been sent your UBER password / username in clear text.
View Quote

Given as I do not and have not used any of those services (Uber, Fitbit, whatever the hell Okcupid is), it's not a problem for me. I tend to be a bit of a Luddite as far as anything more sophisticated than a PC goes, including all these mobile whatsits that are intended solely for urbanite technophiles. Not my thing, NMFP.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It has a plugin for Chrome or Firefox and will autofill your webpages. Or it'll put a button on password signup fields and automatically generate your passwords for you. I would originally set it up on a computer.

Then you can have an app that fills things in on your phone as well, but it is a little less seamless. I'll answer anything you want to know if you have other questions. It's made my life so much easier, not having to remember which sites had certain crazy requirements for their passwords.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a Dashlane and it does the same basic stuff.  It's probably the most user friendly one out there but the premium (that synchronizes the databases between devices) costs a bit more than the others.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Grumble.

Google using NSA level resources to create a simple collision is impressive (especially for the tricks used to speed the job from brute force).

But, I hate the hyperbole in reporting these stories.   SHA1 is on its way out, and this is only a collision.   Their demonstration proves more about the malleability of the .PDF format than about SHA1 right now.

I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with a second preimage attack before SHA1 has been cut out of most of the nets.
View Quote

Correct.  I'm not too concerned about a crypto attack that starts with:

Step 1:  Build super-computer cluster

I remember when the first MD-5 collisions were announced.  Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth...and then everyone just quietly moved over to SHA-1.  Same thing will probably happen here...
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I use a Dashlane and it does the same basic stuff.  It's probably the most user friendly one out there but the premium (that synchronizes the databases between devices) costs a bit more than the others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I regularly use 3-4 computers, a tablet, a phone, VMs....

Synchronization is a key feature for me. Lastpass is like $12. And it also stores credit cards and Wifi credentials. Haven't tried Dashlane but I'm pretty happy with Lastpass and it would be tough to talk me into leaving it!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You don't need to add numbers and other crap, it's random and long enough to be uncrackable just having four different words.

I use phrases for encryption of data (like hard drives), but I use LastPass premium for everything else.  So I have a lot of Jie87_!2kkl-%k passwords.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You belong with me

Yoube1ongwithme87

I dont trust programs to hold my passwords, well except Chrome.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not an uber or fitbit user and I don't recognize any of those websites in the list so I'm not affected but...

I have a non tech guy question: If i was using a password manager would I still be affected by this or it's just easier to change my passwords after?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Actually a three layer security burrito sounds pretty good.
View Quote

Well, now I am hungry.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#22]
For the technically challenged people here. P@sw0rd1 is not a password you should use... ever. 8-15 characters using letters, numbers, capital letters,

and special symbols. Randomness is key. Use a different password for every place, and enable two-factor authentication on your most sensitive places. Banks,

Ebay, PayPal, and many others have this option. It makes logging in take about 30 seconds longer as you have to enter a pin you receive by text, but forces someone

logging in to have something they know (Password), and something they have (phone or card). Also, make sure you use a password on your phone!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Is LastPass 12$ period or 12$ a month
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is LastPass 12$ period or 12$ a month
View Quote

$12 annually.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I prefer KeePass.  It's open source, multiple security options, cloud or local storage, multi-platform, etc
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I really dont push things on here. But no he does not. He uses a flip phone because that is what he wants. He wouldn't even text if his Sargent and others in his unit didn't communicate that way.

Fit Bit is absolutely forbidden period. When they said it I don't think he misheard.

He graduated 1st in his class. One that normally has a 40% drop rate. I think he might have listened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is vastly exaggerating his importance.  I'll leave it, very charitably, at that.

I really dont push things on here. But no he does not. He uses a flip phone because that is what he wants. He wouldn't even text if his Sargent and others in his unit didn't communicate that way.

Fit Bit is absolutely forbidden period. When they said it I don't think he misheard.

He graduated 1st in his class. One that normally has a 40% drop rate. I think he might have listened.

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No this was patched earlier in the week.  Your password isn't in scope.  Bigger problem is there is a list of 150 companies (per cloudflare) that were impacted.  These guys need to take steps to protect their customers if they didn't have some mitigating technology n place, like agilebits did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I tried looking for it myself without success, so where can I find this list of 150 affected companies?

Also, @slomofo, I found this tidbit while looking:

Today I learned that uber does not have a change password option once you are logged in. You have to log out and pretend you forgot the password. Bad UX if you don't know.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My son is in military intelligence. He is not supposed to use fit bit or any other tech like it. Too much potential for tracking.

He uses uber when he goes to drill. He calls me from a flip phone and I call the uber for him.
View Quote

Holy shit they can do that?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Holy shit they can do that?
View Quote

Yep using the family settings.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep using the family settings.
View Quote

I have a Fitbit.  I need to get rid of this thing I don't want people tracking me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have a Fitbit.  I need to get rid of this thing I don't want people tracking me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#32]

lol

Now get your ass to Mars
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Can I wrap my fitbit in foil so it can't track me?  I need to know what to do.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wonder if people were tracking mine sitting in on a nightstand forever
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Idk I have mine on my person all the time.  I'm mad if they been taking me the whole time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Oh my god this is my very favorite thread
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's great.  I just don't want people to be thinking that there are huge threats they don't know about with their FitBit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lighten up everyone.

I work for a company that does cyber security, not like home computer stuff. If someone here messed up, or if we did not do our job, it would be a real bad day for everyone.

I don't do anything important and I work in the other division, but i will try to talk with one of the security guys, and I will let you know what they say about the FitBit and what security vulnerability/risks come with it, if any.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you for his service
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I work for a company that does cyber security, not like home computer stuff. If someone here messed up, or if we did not do our job, it would be a real bad day for everyone.

I don't do anything important and I work in the other division, but i will try to talk with one of the security guys, and I will let you know what they say about the FitBit and what security vulnerability/risks come with it, if any.
View Quote
great please let me know.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in the business.  If I could wear one at work I'd own one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#42]
This thread is like the lol fest that happens after a redeployment ceremony and my half tour backfill joe's parents show up and start regurgitating the nonsense theyve been shoveling since they got to AIT.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Synchronization is a key feature for me. Lastpass is like $12. And it also stores credit cards and Wifi credentials. Haven't tried Dashlane but I'm pretty happy with Lastpass and it would be tough to talk me into leaving it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't try to talk you out of it.  They are both good products and would be worth looking at (along with a couple others) if you were just getting a program, but there's nothing that compelling at the moment to switch everything.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Coinbase is interesting.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Fuck you and I mean it. I know what he was told and he takes his shit serious.

Do you really think there is no tracking or  surveillance  potential in these devices.

Might be why it was automatic dismissal if you took a phone into any of his classes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your ridiculous statement. 

Fuck you and I mean it. I know what he was told and he takes his shit serious.

Do you really think there is no tracking or  surveillance  potential in these devices.

Might be why it was automatic dismissal if you took a phone into any of his classes.

How do you know what he was told?

Was he recording the information he was briefed, so that you could listen to it later or was he just relaying information he was given in a classified area to a non cleared person with no need to know?

If you love America you need to approach the FBI about this. If you don't come forward, they may just assume you are his handler given you provide him transportation via cut outs to reach his military unit.

It's all very suspicious.

Run it by your son and let us know what he thinks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#46]

LMAO.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Idk I have mine on my person all the time.  I'm mad if they been taking me the whole time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife's third cousin is a drone gunner, and he says they love it when their target has a fitbit because they can adjust the missile speed based on the targets steps per minute.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Grumble.

Google using NSA level resources to create a simple collision is impressive (especially for the tricks used to speed the job from brute force).

But, I hate the hyperbole in reporting these stories.   SHA1 is on its way out, and this is only a collision.   Their demonstration proves more about the malleability of the .PDF format than about SHA1 right now.

I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with a second preimage attack before SHA1 has been cut out of most of the nets.
View Quote

I was laughing at the joke, easy now. SHA-1 is only partially broken in certain circumstances. Its likely to be replaced in most instances before its completely broken.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My wife's third cousin is a drone gunner, and he says they love it when their target has a fitbit because they can adjust the missile speed based on the targets steps per minute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm drone-proof.  They're going to miss me by a mile.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

ho lee fuk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link to full list of affected domains:

https://github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare/archive/master.zip

(not hotlinked on purpose)

ho lee fuk.

Welcome to my paranoid nightmare :)
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top