BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It will be when we decide to start sinking enemy warships.
View Quote

not really.  Ships are inherently expeditionary.  Its keeping our ships alive that is the proposed A2/AD challenge.

The beauty of our current strategy is instead of spending pennies on the dollar defending what is currently our allies, we wish to surrender everything to China and then, at great expense, conquer it back.

Its completely ridiculous, of course, but you don't justify 2400 F35s any other way.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was thinking of something like a cluster munition on an ATACMs or HIMARS with a sensor fuzed bomblet.
View Quote

I mentioned BATS earlier as an example.  If you can soft kill the fuck out of a ships sensors, comms and weapons systems, who cares if it sinks?  In fact, it may be better if it doesn't.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was thinking of something like a cluster munition on an ATACMs or HIMARS with a sensor fuzed bomblet.
View Quote

Would a efp have enough balls to cut through mutiple levels, increasing the odds of hitting something important. The explosion would damage/degrade on the surface and the penetrator goes south.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And they should push for 16" shore based guns.  But use rocket assisted projectiles, too.  Just because.
View Quote

Fixed gun emplacements have proven to be a great success in the past after all.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is length the issue for rocket-launching a Mk48?  I know it isn't diametre, as the Tomahawk is pretty close in that regard, if not the same.  Some foreign designs basically have a rocket motor attached to the rear of a torpedo that is otherwise exposed. I wonder if a short 21" torpedo (or maybe something still useful for anti-ship use but a bit narrower, like an 18" torpedo) could be used for that purpose.
View Quote
Sure it is.  Since the Navy doesn't do box launchers anymore (one of the things thatkilled Harpoon - the Program Office didn't want to play with VLS), it has to fit in the Mk41 cell, so you have to account for the weapon length plus the rocket motor, and a Mk 48 is, as I said, huge (19 feet long).  An SM-6 is 15 feet long and is a tight fit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
SM-6 in VLS or Box Launchers with the limited Anti-Ship and all the benefits of its AA mission. Basically onshore the AEGIS system with the Army. Its not ideal, but a better solution than Harpoon or Tomahawk. Perhaps the VLS systems can be adapted to the LRASM later.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I mentioned BATS earlier as an example.  If you can soft kill the fuck out of a ships sensors, comms and weapons systems, who cares if it sinks?  In fact, it may be better if it doesn't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
<strong>Quoted:</strong>

Ayup.

That's how you do an Army based swarm for getting M-Kills on a ship. Use an updated MGM-164 and cram as many updated BATS designed for ship C4 engagement as possible in there. Pop off 2-3 164s and call it a day.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
SM-6 in VLS or Box Launchers with the limited Anti-Ship and all the benefits of its AA mission. Basically onshore the AEGIS system with the Army. Its not ideal, but a better solution than Harpoon or Tomahawk. Perhaps the VLS systems can be adapted to the LRASM later.
View Quote
That's like giving Patriot anti-ship capabilities.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

LRASM has already been demonstrated with the VLS. 3rd successful demo was last July.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
The problem with using Standard variants for the ASM role is that the blast fragmentation warhead does very little damage to surface targets. That's why many of them have to be used even on small ships.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

a rail gun 50 or 60 miles inland should still have at least a hundred mile range past the shore line.

put a bunch of layered defenses between the rail guns and the coast.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

a rail gun 50 or 60 miles inland should still have at least a hundred mile range past the shore line.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's like, really, um, superdumb
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's like giving Patriot anti-ship capabilities.
View Quote

SM-6 has anti ship capabilities.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do guided munitions now trump the "a ship's a fool to fight a fort" guideline?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And who is going to protect those sites from air or missile attack?  The Army's ADA branch?

What site? Firing points that move every few hours?

So you're suggesting camo nets and slow moving vehicles on tiny islands will be protection enough from fast movers with GMTI and HUMINT on the ground?    Best of luck!

More worried about GPS/GLONASS/BeiDou guided LACMs or MRBMs.
Do guided munitions now trump the "a ship's a fool to fight a fort" guideline?
Superior standoff range helps.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We have really shitty anti-ship missiles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't our ships already carry anti ship missiles?  Why not just drop those on shore in some form and call it a day.  

We're doing that with the Aegis system already.  Seems like a waste of time and money to reinvent the wheel.
The actual performance isn't that bad.  The range is just really short.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

What kind of range is needed to kill ships and not get killed?  Are we talking land base artillery range or cruise missile range, assuming you can pack up and move after firing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Regarding MLRS and ships,new Chinese fire support ship design

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I approve of this post.  Maybe we can bring back the torpedo bombers!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know what? The Army needs fixed wing attack aircraft that can carry LRASMs. That would fix it.

I approve of this post.  Maybe we can bring back the torpedo bombers!

Ground-effect UAVs with Mk48s.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Billy Mitchell is vindicated
View Quote

That dude was a moron who caused the deaths of thousands of Americans.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Where does this fit in our doctrine?
View Quote

Probably sleeping next to our Cyber doctrine writers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Billy Mitchell is vindicated

Lighten up, Francis
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What kind of range is needed to kill ships and not get killed?  Are we talking land base artillery range or cruise missile range, assuming you can pack up and move after firing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luyang II has a 200+nm ASCM, subsonic.

Luyang III has a 300nm (almost) ASCM, subsonic bus with supersonic terminal maneuvering sprint vehicle.

Harpoon is "in excess  of 67nm".  I don't know that we need to completely outstick the PLA(N), but that is a lot of time in their WEZ to get a DDG into shot range, i.e. transit from 200-300nm in to 70nm or so for a Harpoon shot.  BTW, the newest DDGs don't carry Harpoon at all.

CDCM, especially mobile CDCMs, vs ship is different because LACMs are generally just GPS guided.  ASCMs have seekers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Billy Mitchell already did that generations a go and suffered a stalled career for embarrassing the admirals and generals that insisted it couldn't be done.
View Quote

Billy Mitchell killed some tethered goats, and his publicity stunt ended with failed doctrine that cost thousands of American lives.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Luyang III has a 300nm (almost) ASCM, subsonic bus with supersonic terminal maneuvering sprint vehicle.

Harpoon is "in excess  of 67nm".  I don't know that we need to completely outstick the PLA(N), but that is a lot of time in their WEZ to get a DDG into shot range, i.e. transit from 200-300nm in to 70nm or so for a Harpoon shot.  BTW, the newest DDGs don't carry Harpoon at all.

CDCM, especially mobile CDCMs, vs ship is different because LACMs are generally just GPS guided.  ASCMs have seekers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

aren't crusie missiles out to something like 800+miles?  Why aren't those an option?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lighten up, Francis
View Quote

The 8th AF took more casualties than the entire USMC, because of "airpower experts" like Mitchell.

I'm watching my country go down the same path one hundred years later because pilots.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The 8th AF took more casualties than the entire USMC, because of "airpower experts" like Mitchell.

I'm watching my country go down the same path one hundred years later because pilots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lighten up, Francis

Hey, stick time is like leadership.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lighten up, Francis

Well, damn.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

aren't crusie missiles out to something like 800+miles?  Why aren't those an option?
View Quote
Cruise missiles are great.  Against shore targets that don't move.  Targeting over 800 miles is a problem around coastal areas where there is neutral shipping, especially when you have to rely on on-board sensors for terminal guidance.  The chance of the missile locking onto the wrong target nears metaphysical certitude.  Although there were some things in TASMs that I won't talk about that would significantly improve the chance of hitting the right one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mitchell was also smart enough to change his opinion when he was wrong.  I would like to think he wasn't as fucktarded as Arnold.  But I have nothing to back that up.

he was all about tactical airpower and clearing the skies.  But he bought off on the "flying fortress" nonsense and became "bomber all the things!!!!"  I think after the losses the 8th AF took and Germany's failure in the blitz he would have seen that tactical air hadn't been rendered worthless.
hard to hate a man who looked this cool.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

different problem set, obviously.

You don't need a lot of capable ASCMs to change a war.

Probably the only reason I jumped in this thread is I am back on my falklands kick again and re reading all my books on it.

had the argies 10 exocets instead of 5 they would have kept the malvinas.
View Quote

They only had 5 Exocets total?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I can't help but think this request is related to the pacific and the worries we could find us in a war with China some day.  If so, I don't think this is a bad idea and perhaps a track based platform that can launch multiple harpoons or tomahawk cruse missiles is a worthy idea.  If the weapons could be used against land or see targets even better...

Edit 1 Here is a land based Harpoon Launch System:

http://militaryedge.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Harpoon_land_launch.jpg

I just don't know how huge this would need to be to launch multiple tomahawks  That would be one huge SOB of a vehicle!

EDIT 2 - but looks like it was done before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BGM-109G_Ground_Launched_Cruise_Missile
View Quote

The Soviets were truly fearful of the GLCMS. It made them agree to the IDF treaty.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:17:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

different problem set, obviously.

You don't need a lot of capable ASCMs to change a war.

Probably the only reason I jumped in this thread is I am back on my falklands kick again and re reading all my books on it.

had the argies 10 exocets instead of 5 they would have kept the malvinas.

Something like that, but only with respect to the air-launched version that could be carried by their Mirages.

They had additional Exocets on their ships, including most of their destroyers and their avisos/corvettes (possibly others, I forget for sure). Typically 4 per ship. Some on damaged ships were landed and turned into coast defence batteries.

The Belgrano SAG, for example, had 8 Exocets, which combined with the cruiser's 15 6" guns and armour, gave Woodward cause for concern before she was sunk by the Conqueror. Had the Belgrano group made it to safe waters (which they almost did), they could have really fucked some shit up. The Argie carrier group was supposed to strike (with Exocets and aircraft) from the opposite direction in a pincer movement (aided, IIRC, by the Mirages), and there was a third SAG with Exocets that was supposed to attack with missiles around the same time. Their whole plan turned to shambles, though, in no small part due to piss-poor leadership. Still, that was potentially a lot of Exocets coming their way (the British).
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is our Navy and Air Force so incompetent they have to ask the land forces to do their job?
View Quote

If I can put ASCMs in Taiwan, Philippines, Vietnam, and Malaysia....what vitally important sea lane did I just lock down?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't our ships already carry anti ship missiles?  Why not just drop those on shore in some form and call it a day.  

We're doing that with the Aegis system already.  Seems like a waste of time and money to reinvent the wheel.

I am very curious to hear the opinion of those more knowledgeable than I on this.

As I understand it, the Navy is looking at either the Norwegian NSM or a modernized Harpoon. The Modernized Harpoon would have a smaller warhead, which would allow for more fuel and more range.  

Which would be the better option?  Would the smaller warhead  on the Harpoon (300lbs vs 500lbs IIRC) be a problem?  I'm not sure how this would compare to the NSM's warhead.  Does newer technology/chemistry allow for equal effectiveness in a smaller warhead?

-K
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I am very curious to hear the opinion of those more knowledgeable than I on this.

As I understand it, the Navy is looking at either the Norwegian NSM or a modernized Harpoon. The Modernized Harpoon would have a smaller warhead, which would allow for more fuel and more range.  

Which would be the better option?  Would the smaller warhead  on the Harpoon (300lbs vs 500lbs IIRC) be a problem?  I'm not sure how this would compare to the NSM's warhead.  Does newer technology/chemistry allow for equal effectiveness in a smaller warhead?

-K
View Quote
Taiwanese HFIIIs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

-K
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-K

This is what they plan on replacing the harpoon with.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-158C_LRASM
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

-K
View Quote

I thought that the NSM was a smaller class of missile than the Harpoon.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:31:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You keep thinking like an American.

They don't need to get accurate data for a surgical strike.  Give their forces an area to search with their air or space born sensors, then expect a load of trouble to rain down.
View Quote

A load of trouble is not a technical term.

Explain to me how you are going to get high explosives working their blast radius routinely before the Army can fire their missiles.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:10:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cruise missiles are great.  Against shore targets that don't move.  Targeting over 800 miles is a problem around coastal areas where there is neutral shipping, especially when you have to rely on on-board sensors for terminal guidance.  The chance of the missile locking onto the wrong target nears metaphysical certitude.  Although there were some things in TASMs that I won't talk about that would significantly improve the chance of hitting the right one.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:25:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
Explain the lol, Mister Not-a-Weapon-Systems-Engineer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:28:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be sure to put it next to a big source of electricity for maximum power and efficiency.  That way when a cruise missile hits it it can take out a nuclear power plant too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:43:41 AM EDT
[#45]
We should have more land based missiles of all types. Nearly every military, and some militias have this capability already. We don't, because we spend almost 40% of our acquisition budget on aircraft that are extremely expensive, and provide very little unique capability.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:53:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Be sure to put it next to a big source of electricity for maximum power and efficiency.  That way when a cruise missile hits it it can take out a nuclear power plant too.
View Quote

I never said anything about solving the power requirements, was simply noting that a rail gun has some advantages.

just need a round that can course correct in flight, or a damn goo sensor network plotting where the targets are heading...

at some point we may solve the power requirements.

also, the cruise missile has go get past the payers of defense.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:12:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Something like that, but only with respect to the air-launched version that could be carried by their Mirages.

They had additional Exocets on their ships, including most of their destroyers and their avisos/corvettes (possibly others, I forget for sure). Typically 4 per ship. Some on damaged ships were landed and turned into coast defence batteries.

The Belgrano SAG, for example, had 8 Exocets, which combined with the cruiser's 15 6" guns and armour, gave Woodward cause for concern before she was sunk by the Conqueror. Had the Belgrano group made it to safe waters (which they almost did), they could have really fucked some shit up. The Argie carrier group was supposed to strike (with Exocets and aircraft) from the opposite direction in a pincer movement (aided, IIRC, by the Mirages), and there was a third SAG with Exocets that was supposed to attack with missiles around the same time. Their whole plan turned to shambles, though, in no small part due to piss-poor leadership. Still, that was potentially a lot of Exocets coming their way (the British).
View Quote

Pretty sure the Argies used Super Etenards in the ASM role.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:00:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Explain the lol, Mister Not-a-Weapon-Systems-Engineer.
View Quote

VA huh? I'm in Norfolk alot. I'll buy you a beer some time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Pretty sure the Argies used Super Etenards in the ASM role.
View Quote

correct.

and they shit land based conversions of their ship based exocets which damaged Glamorgan and scared the fuck out of the british so bad they used landing craft instead of LSTs to land the 5ht Brigade south of Stanley.  7 hours in a fucking open top LST in the south atlantic in winter.

we are talking a mere handful of missiles almost defeating the 3rd most powerful navy in the world at the time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Mitchell was also smart enough to change his opinion when he was wrong.  I would like to think he wasn't as fucktarded as Arnold.  But I have nothing to back that up.

he was all about tactical airpower and clearing the skies.  But he bought off on the "flying fortress" nonsense and became "bomber all the things!!!!"  I think after the losses the 8th AF took and Germany's failure in the blitz he would have seen that tactical air hadn't been rendered worthless.
hard to hate a man who looked this cool.
https://static.thisdayinaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/tdia//2015/10/092211408.jpg
View Quote

You are way too bling focused. I blame your education. Mitchell was hack of the highest order, and bigger glory hound than Mac. That's saying something.

The Army airpower guys in the 1920s and 30s saw coastal defense as the low hanging fruit to pluck to fund their ambition. Thus their love of Mitchell's demonstration that showed that air power could defend the coasts.

Now, Army coastal defense had been a useless money sump for decades (looking at you Endicott forts!) but the airpower guys took that reality, and went down the equally useless strategic bomber road.

If it wasn't for William Moffett, this country, that invented aviation, would likely not have a militarily useful aircraft to its name.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top