BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tell you what, you buy a bike with all of the bells and whistles and you get it cranked over in a corner on the gas and then let go of the handlebars and pull your feet off the pegs and then you come back to us and ask that stupid question again.  
View Quote

So your point is if you jump off a moving motorcycle you may get hurt ?
Talking about stupid....
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Talking about stupid....
View Quote

The point is that the bike can't ride it itself. If you remove control by letting go of the bars and taking your feel off the pegs to keep you from transferring weight to the chassis, the bike won't finish a corner.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Can you still do stoppies and make long ass skid marks with an ABS equipped bike?
View Quote

Some bikes allow you to turn the rider aids off.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I like ABS.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would rather not get rider aids if at all possible.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a fan of old schoolish, but with a radio and good seats. Maybe throw in some nice shocks. I'm a huge fan of the street glide but that's just me 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just got the rider aids this last fall. Its all about the bikes you associate with. I was fine with my KLR but then I got the BMW. Boom...rider aids.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
If I had had ABS on my Shadow, I probably would not have went down and fractured my shoulder last December.

Wet roads, 65 degrees and sunny, three or so car lengths behind the truck that I was following. The light turned yellow, I rolled off the throttle and prepared to stop. The woman driving the truck decided to stop for the yellow light. When I hit the brakes, both wheels locked up. I let go of the front brake and was going to ride out the skid on the rear. At that point, I noticed that I was going to run into the truck, so I lined the wheels up, let off the rear brake, and tried to swerve around the truck. When I dipped into the swerve, the rear end slid out from under me and I highsided onto my right shoulder.

I have since traded the Shadow for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster, which has more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Your long post kinda makes the point I was trying to make for me.
Since you are just making requests and the bike makes the decision whether to carry out those requests, are you really riding the bike or are you just along for the ride ?
View Quote

Well the motoGP bikes have the very best and most up to date electronics on them and yet sometimes different guys on different bikes win.

Obviously they are just monkeys sitting on a robot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
...my GSXR...when I railed around my favorite offramp on cold 5 year old D208's it tucked at the apex.
I stayed on but it aggravated an old back injury and gave me some pause for thought..
View Quote

2017 GSX-R1000R
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/GSX-R1000/2017/GSXR1000R.aspx

It has newer tires...
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Talking about stupid....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Talking about stupid....

I didn't think I really needed to quote the entire thread, I figured that you could follow along with your own thread.

Let me help you out:

You asked the question:
Quoted:
Your long post kinda makes the point I was trying to make for me.
Since you are just making requests and the bike makes the decision whether to carry out those requests, ****are you really riding the bike or are you just along for the ride?***

If you have to ask the question...
I answered your question by telling you to gather the data by yourself by trial and the process of elimination.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

On my BMW S1000XR I can shut off all of the nanny aids except for the electronic suspension control.
No wheelie control, no abs, no traction control, no lean angle sensor.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty soon you won't be able to buy a bike without rider aids.
By 2018 ABS and Fuel Injection will be standard on all 2018 and newer street bikes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#14]

So will mine in a few weeks... I bought a set of S21's almost right after, I wanted to finish off the rear before I pulled them both to powder coat the wheels this winter. The problem was, winter never really came, so when my ECU came back from flashing (Xmas was great, got the most awesome GF in the whole wide world) I took it out and it spun up so much from being cold I was thru to the steel cords in about 15 minutes worth of riding in an unfinished development outside my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

By 2018 ABS and Fuel Injection will be standard on all 2018 and newer street bikes.
View Quote

Hell, even my GF's Grom has EFI, and it's better for it.

If you have never had an EFI bike, you don't know what you are missing..
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
if the ABS , trac and wheelie controls are properly done they are transparent
I have no problem with um as long as they work seamlessly
View Quote

Exactly this.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Right now, both street bikes I own are air-cooled, carb'd and one even has points ignition and a drum rear brake.
But both the bikes I really want right now have all the farkles (excluding CC, which can be added with an aftermarket programming device - RBW is way cool).

I have no problem with these gizmos. They make riding safer and are generally not intrusive.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If I ever buy a commuter bike it will have ABS.
View Quote

Yeah,, after I used them twice on my FJR---I realized what the Bonneville was lacking... ABS for the win. [ never had one with TC,, sounds good to me though ]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You looking at a Triumph?

My Thruxton R has all of those and is great.

The multiple riding modes is just for when it's raining really.
View Quote
Love that Thruxton R. My '15 Speed Triple has ABS, but no traction control or rider modes. I wouldn't mind having them but I've been fine without.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure he will.  There will always be old Harley's around.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#21]
It doesn't matter how much faster you are with your gadgets. I'll still smoke you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter how much faster you are with your gadgets. I'll still smoke you.
View Quote

That's nice, sweetie.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Love that Thruxton R. My '15 Speed Triple has ABS, but no traction control or rider modes. I wouldn't mind having them but I've been fine without.
View Quote

Have you seen the new Street Triple 765? They threw the book at it, if I didn't already have a bike payment I'd be putting a deposit on one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Nope, rider aides like ABS and traction control are awesome.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't have any of that stuff:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#27]
In 5 weeks I'll pick up my '17 Honda Africa Twin with DCT.

My two current bikes are old school technology, XR650R and a DR 650.  The DR at least has electric start.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

I really like those bikes!
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Not gonna lie.   Cruise control is tits.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The power modes are useless, I guess if I took the Busa out on the ice on stock tires I might try C mode  Pretty sure traction control would
be nice, probably could have kept me from sucking the seat cover up into my butt...
View Quote

I bought a busa out of the EE on Arfcom

Recently traded it and I miss it.  Amazing machine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've never had ABS on  bike and everyone seems to appose it until they buy one with it.  Afterwards they are almost all sold on it and won't go back to a bike without.
View Quote

This was me. 53 bikes over the last 35 years, all kinds street and dirt (except for cruisers!), and I never had ABS. The last one, a 2012 KTM 990SMT had ABS and I think I had it two months before the ABS saved my ass by keeping my upright. I will never poo poo ABS again on a road bike.

Sold the SMT last week, this is on order:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This was me. 53 bikes over the last 35 years, all kinds street and dirt (except for cruisers!), and I never had ABS. The last one, a 2012 KTM 990SMT had ABS and I think I had it two months before the ABS saved my ass by keeping my upright. I will never poo poo ABS again on a road bike.

Sold the SMT last week, this is on order:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/190028/IMG-2302-153545.JPG
View Quote

I want that bike...
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Traction control and ABS are fantastic. Whenever I heard someone bitching about them in the shop I wrote them off as being full of shit and stopped paying attention to them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm fitting up the ultra high tech rear brakes on a period correct cafe racer I'm building. There's no need for ABS on a 70s Yamaha,reef down as hard as you want and they're not going to lock up anyway

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I ride a 2006 SV650.  I love EFI coming from bikes with carbs, but I don't have any features outside of that.  I think ABS would be nice to have.

Outside of that I could take it or leave it.  My old man has a 2016 Road Glide.  It has so many features he gets over whelmed.

I'm sure if I had them I could learn to love them.  Just like I never knew I needed seat heaters until I bought a car that has them.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top