Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/23/2017 12:49:27 PM EDT
ABS, traction control, different power modes, fly by wire, paddle shifters............the list keeps growing.
Seems it won't be much longer before you will no longer be riding, you will just be along for the ride.
I like old school simplicity.    Anybody with me ?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
yep.

I like my bike 'analog'
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#2]
options are good.  you can shut most, if not all of it off on bikes I've seen or been on.  Or you can buy classics.

ABS is a GREAT safety feature on motorbikes.  I wish my bike had it sometimes.

that's the great thing about the market.  choices choices choices.   I get where you're coming from, but if you want ABS, it's nice to have it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]
My 2014 R6 doesnt have traction control or ABS. But it does have a "fly by wire" throttle. And it is awesome... Very smooth, and its programmable via ecu flashes. I like it very much  over the old school cables.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Mixed feelings, my bikes don't have those features but more experienced professionals seem to love them. But I like attractive women on any kind.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
My 2008 MV AGUSTA R312 with a manual choke, I do love that, simplicity that works as required.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Leaning hard into a corner on a wetish morning in the PNW and rolling onto the throttle as much as you want while the rear end just stays planted? Ya I'll take my Traction Control

Lets not forget true cruse control.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't buy a new bike without traction control and ABS. They don't take away from the riding experience for me and greatly enhance my safety.

I am curious if the OP has ridden a bike with these features or is just one of those people that doesn't like technology.

There are some bikes I could see having totally analog/mechanical for a historical type thing but am happy to have the modern stuff on my daily riders.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't mind it too much, but I wish they DID make better car seats for them...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I love old Japanese bikes from the 70's and 80's.  Simple to work on, cheap to buy, and still fun as hell.  I can't justify buying new, I have several great bikes that cost less than the sales tax on a new one.

I have to admit that I had a moment of weakness an installed an electronic ignition on my old 650.  It still has a kick start though...  so it's legit.  

Ok to be honest with the kind of power available in modern sport bikes, ABS and computer throttle control is probably not a bad idea at all.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm starting to shop for a bike after several years of being without.  It's amazing what the current state of technology offers.  I may very well opt out and avoid any technology more advanced than a roto tiller but that doesn't mean I haven't been enjoying the shopping.  I really do miss my Buell.

If I could get an old-school light twin like an Indian Scout or Harley JD with a slightly more up to date motor I'd be on in like a duck on a june bug.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#11]
If I ever buy a commuter bike it will have ABS.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the old basics.

76 and 78 Shovels.

They are equipped with millennial anti theft devices-kick starters.

I've always been a cruiser though,not into speed.To each his own.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#13]
if the ABS , trac and wheelie controls are properly done they are transparent
I have no problem with um as long as they work seamlessly
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Voted yes, and I am the same way with cars.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#15]
ABS has saved my bacon more than once.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#16]
On an analog bike going the same speed, you will NEVER be able to stop as fast as a modern bike with ABS.

I do NOT miss messing around with carbs.
Never had ride by wire
ABS ROCKS
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ABS, traction control, different power modes, fly by wire, paddle shifters............the list keeps growing.
Seems it won't be much longer before you will no longer be riding, you will just be along for the ride.
View Quote

You looking at a Triumph?

My Thruxton R has all of those and is great.

The multiple riding modes is just for when it's raining really.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#18]
ABS is great, cruise control is awesome on long trips, EFI, heated seats, I love all that stuff. What I don't like are the big "infotainment" screens, too much of a distraction to me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the old basics.
76 and 78 Shovels.
They are equipped with millennial anti theft devices-kick starters.
View Quote

Did someone say '76 kickstart shovel?

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Mixed feelings, my bikes don't have those features but more experienced professionals seem to love them.
View Quote

Yes they do

1290 SUPER DUKE R Features and Benefits

Here is one example of someone with MTC off, I will assume it is not his first time on a  bike,
but perhaps it may be on one that delivers %70 of it's 102 foot pounds of torque at  2700 rpms

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#21]
My bikes a 2015 R1200RT with almost all the options. I really like all the Nav, radio, ABS, suspension functions. Miss having a normal key vs. the FOB and would prefer to have regular throttle/clutch cables. Overall I'm pretty happy with the tech that is out there now days.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I like my XX.

But I like gizmos.  I would love to try the RSV4 launch control.  Throttle wide open and dump the clutch.  Yikes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#23]
The only thing that I wish mine would have come with is ABS
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I like injection because it helps with crappy fuel and I like ABS for safety. Other than that, I can take it or leave it. Having said that, I have a bike with 6 carbs and no ABS in addition to one with FI and ABS and I'm only thinking about selling the newer one. Makes me think I may not buy what I know is good for me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I prefer my motorcycles with a minimum of everything.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I like my ABS, in theory. I've never needed it, but it's nice that it's there. I hate that you need to hook it up to a computer to bleed the brakes, though.

I also have mixed feelings about EFI. If you're going to have EFI and O2 sensors, why not have closed-loop EFI? I'd rather just rejet a carb, but then I'd have to worry about riding up into the mountains from the Phoenix valley.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57330/76shovel-152505.jpg
View Quote

That yours?Sweet!

Now I know you're alright........
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#28]
My Burgman has got the ABS brakes and a great instrument panel, placed nicely. I'm really liking it.

I just bought it at the very end of fall and with the recent warm up, Have already got 1100 miles on it. I plan on adding an adventure bike this year also. I've been finding myself amazed at the tech on some of these newer bikes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That yours?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57330/76shovel-152505.jpg

That yours?

Not anymore, sold it years ago.
I ride a bike with ABS, shaft drive, traction control, heated grips, etc. now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not anymore, sold it years ago.
I ride a bike with ABS, shaft drive, traction control, heated grips, etc. now.
View Quote

You're dead to me.

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Electronic cruise control is awesome. The other stuff, meh.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Abs and cruise. I live in flatland. Holding throttle position for hours and hours gets old real quick.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Electronic cruise control is awesome. The other stuff, meh.
View Quote

Oh yeah. I forgot about cruise. It's very nice to have cruise on things like the long straight stretch from Kingman to the Hoover Dam.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#34]
The power modes are useless, I guess if I took the Busa out on the ice on stock tires I might try C mode  Pretty sure traction control would
be nice, probably could have kept me from sucking the seat cover up into my butt...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Motorcycles are the only place I like ABS, I don't have traction control so I can't speak about it. Cruise control is cool too, works better than it does on 4 wheels. Set it at 75 it stays at 75, doesn't slow up hill or fly down.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The only thing that I wish mine would have come with is ABS
View Quote

I didn't think I'd like ABS on my 690 but I wasn't worried because it can be turned off.  Turns out it's awesome.  I really like it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#37]
My two main bikes are at opposite ends of the spectrum. A 2007 KLR with absolutely nothing fancy, not even efi and a 2016 R1200GSA with everything including lean sensitive abs and active suspension. They are both great and fun bikes but for an everyday do anything ride give me the ABS and all the rest of that stuff is just gravy. I certainly don't feel like the experience of riding is lessened by having it. In fact you don't even know you have it at all except your hands aren't freezing and the bike rides like a dream. If I was headed back to Mexico or a remote location then yea, give me the KLR. At least those are my feelings for the moment.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#38]
ABS is something I wish I had on my motorcycle. And these days, it's not that complex. 

Other than that...I like it simple. 
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I like fuel injection, ABS, and traction control.  The rest I can live without.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#40]
quoted myself

need to stop dicking with my post
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I haven't looked at the latest motorcycles.
I sold my motorcycle years ago and let the M go on my driver's license when I moved to my current state. 

Who makes paddle shifters?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Honda. I am not sure I can go there yet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Rider since 1976 and have laid a few down.
Last two bikes had ABS, the one now has ABS, traction control, and two power modes.

Don't have much use for the power modes (F = Fun L= LOL) but the ABS and traction control are nice...especially on a sport touring bike with 1000+cc's.
Actually had the traction control kick in last weekend. Coming up a sweeping onramp and being a little sporty, rear wheel caught some gravel from past snow we had. Traction control kicked in, rear wheel didn't spinout, a second later I was on my way.

On my previous ride (2014 650 Versys) I grabbed a whole lot of break, front and back, after cresting a hill near work this past summer...cars stopped. The bike just sat down and chilled. Fantastic feeling. Can't say for sure how it would have handled without ABS, all would have probably been OK. I just don't mind the technology.

Current ride with the bells and whistles. Bags are only used for trips. Versys 1000

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I haven't looked at the latest motorcycles.
I sold my motorcycle years ago and let the M go on my driver's license when I moved to my current state. 

Who makes paddle shifters?
View Quote

The Honda DCT models are about the only ones that would be close.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I like old school bikes, but I'm a crusty old fart.

New people entering the motorcycle market (people in their 20s and 30s) like the new gizmos -- which is why manufacturers are offering them on new models.

Old school riders are not part of a sound financial future for most OEM manufacturers, but they will still sell you a Harley Sportster, a Triumph Bonneville, a Yamaha SR400, or a Royal Enfield Bullet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Yea the new bikes suck.  Once they went to electric start, hand clutch, tubeless tires, decent brakes and actual shocks it all went to shit.

8 days of ultralight camping on the Blue Ridge and Cherahola Skyway etc.  (someone else carried my tent and sleeping pad):

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kinda sorta wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Motorcycle

Let's break that down a bit: motor cycle.

An engine with wheels. That's aaaabout all I need.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yea the new bikes suck.  Once they went to electric start, hand clutch, tubeless tires, decent brakes and actual shocks it all went to shit.

8 days of ultralight camping on the Blue Ridge and Cherahola Skyway etc.  (someone else carried my tent and sleeping pad):

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/167780/Blue-Ridge-Run-152517.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/167780/Bike-Right-Back-152518.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/167780/Left-side-bike-152520.JPG
View Quote

Nice!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

I'm with you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top