Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2017 7:52:15 PM EDT
Guy at work is looking to get rid of a Ruger mk2 target.  It is an all black gun, not the stainless, and let's say good to excellent condition.  I have heard they can be a pita to disassemble but that is all I know.

What kind of decent price to offer?  Are they good shooters?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#1]
$350 would be fair.  

They are a pain in the ass, but with a little practice it's really not that hard.

I have a MK II had one my entire life.  

There are only two choices when it comes to a semi auto .22 pistol.  Ruger or Browning.

The new Ruger Mk IV is the ultimate 22 semi auto pistol.  Ruger finally took all of the issues with the other MK pistols and fixed them completely.

EDIT-  They are not a PITA to disassemble, they can be a PITA to reassemble.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
outstanding handgun

yes they are a PITA to take apart but so is the Standard/ Mark I and the Mark III--which also has the added stupidity of having to load an empty magazine to dry fire the pistol to take it apart

however aside from that they shoot very well and Ruger still makes/sells magazines for them
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I own 3 or 4 . Love them. Accurate pistols..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]
MkII is only difficult to disassemble if you are the kind of person who has to call a plumber to unclog a drain.

Once you do it a few times and understand how the hammer strut engages the main spring you won't have a problem putting it back together. 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MkII is only difficult to disassemble if you are the kind of person who has to call a plumber to unclog a drain.

Once you do it a few times and understand how the hammer strut engages the main spring you won't have a problem putting it back together. 
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly, just turn the pistol upside down and make sure the wire-y springy thing part is flipped forward.  Or is it flipped backward?  Anyway, you do it once and if it doesn't work, flip it the other way and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Outstanding pistol

Awesome shooter

The mkII's are getting harder to find, if it's in great shape, snatch it up.

In 10 years, when you still love it, you won't give a shit if someone on arfcom thinks you paid $50 too much for it.

YouTube will walk you through disassembly/assembly the first few times, it's not that bad.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]
In general, the Ruger Mark II is an excellent gun. I have the entire Mark series. They are all excellent guns.

That said, out of the box the Mark II needs some trigger lightening work. Actually, the only one of the series that does not need trigger lightening work, out of the box, is the Mark I.

A Clark trigger and a Volquartsen sear should take care of the problem, on a Mark II. Later Marks need progressively more modifications.

The other thing that bothered me was the undercut, "holster-ripper" front sight. I substituted an aftermarket sight called the "Sport Site." Unfortunately it's no longer available. The ramp sight from a Ruger Single Six will work, with a little modification (grinding the bottom radius to fit the Mark II barrel profile better). Single Six ramp sights are available on ebay for about $20.

Factory wooden grips are a noticeable improvement over the plastic grips.

Regarding the disassembly procedure, the Mark IV is spoiling people. The traditional Ruger disassembly procedure is not bad, once you get used to it. (It really started to get objectionable in the Mark III.)
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Mk II Govt Target Model.  The best of the best, taken with the worst of the worst iPotatoe.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Takedown and reassembly really isn't as bad as people say.  They're fine pistols.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
$350 would be fair.  

They are a pain in the ass, but with a little practice it's really not that hard.

There are only two choices when it comes to a semi auto .22 pistol.  Ruger or Browning.

The new Ruger Mk IV is the ultimate 22 semi auto pistol.  Ruger finally took all of the issues with the other MK pistols and fixed them completely.

View Quote

S&W 41, Beretta (87?), etc.  Ruger and Browning are not the only options.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#14]
The MKII is the best Ruger 22 auto so far. It will be the ones people seek out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:14:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I took mine apart for the first time when I had been drinking. I couldn't get it back together until I sobered up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#16]
they can be a PITA to reassemble.
View Quote

The trick is making sure the hammer is forward, and then lining up the hammer strut with the main spring.  Its not difficult once you actually understand what you are doing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#17]
it's not a Browning Buckmark, but it's the next best thing
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:27:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Folks do love the Mark IIs, especially since the Mark III had some serious fuckery, like the loaded chamber indicator, but they are both a bitch to disassemble and assemble.  I have heard Ruger employees say that is their only product that sometimes gets mailed back to them in a box from an owner asking them to put it back together.  Yeah, you can figure it out, but it's never going to be fun.

New Mark IIIs are on heavy discount since the Mark IV came out.  The Mark IV is a home run, with a one button takedown and a pile of other improvements, including no loaded chamber indicator, an ambidextrous safety, a standard slide release, a better trigger, and mags that actually forcefully eject instead of requiring you to claw them out.

My new Mark IV 22/45 LITE:

I will probably also pickup a Hunter.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought an early 90s Mark II 22/45 target in 2002. Love that gun. Super accurate. I put fiber optic sights on it a few years back and that was a big step up. Otherwise stock. I put a couple hundred rounds through it every month.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine was a rare lemon. Jammed like crazy. Accurate and smooth when it did work, though. I'm happier with my M&P 22 but the MK4 is definitely on my radar.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Bought my mk2 in 1983. Hundreds of thousands of rounds later, functions flawlessly.  I love the gun. On hunting/ 4 wheeling trips my buddies initially laugh at me carrying a .22. Then they see what it's capable of and they want one. It's the tapered barrel version.  Lighter to carry.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Assembly and disassembly are in the owners manual.  Make sure it comes with one.  I take mine down once every 5 years maybe.  Without the manual I would never remember how
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:33:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mk II Govt Target Model.  The best of the best, taken with the worst of the worst iPotatoe.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/248909/blackwing-152220.JPG
View Quote

Cleanup service, for a Mark brother.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...

What he said.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:44:01 AM EDT
[#26]
you mean a discount colt woodsman?

buy the better one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:47:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Folks do love the Mark IIs, especially since the Mark III had some serious fuckery, like the loaded chamber indicator, but they are both a bitch to disassemble and assemble.  I have heard Ruger employees say that is their only product that sometimes gets mailed back to them in a box from an owner asking them to put it back together.  Yeah, you can figure it out, but it's never going to be fun.

New Mark IIIs are on heavy discount since the Mark IV came out.  The Mark IV is a home run, with a one button takedown and a pile of other improvements, including no loaded chamber indicator, an ambidextrous safety, a standard slide release, a better trigger, and mags that actually forcefully eject instead of requiring you to claw them out.

My new Mark IV 22/45 LITE:

http://i.imgur.com/wDCeLZB.jpg
View Quote

I love that it says Prescott AZ on it...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Buy it, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:08:17 AM EDT
[#29]
scuba_steve wrote:

New Mark 3s are on heavy discount right now and some owners are selling them because the Mark IV came out not long ago and has a one button takedown...as well as some other improvements, like bagging the loaded chamber indicator, ambidextrous safety, a standard slide release, better trigger, and mags that actually forcefully eject instead of requiring you to claw them out.
View Quote

I beg to differ on the trigger pull. The Mark IV trigger pull is worse than the Mark III pull, mostly because of the more elaborate magazine disconnect, which wraps around both sides of the hammer. Getting rid of the magazine disconnect is a necessary step if you're going to have an accurate target gun. (That applies to both the Mark III and the Mark IV.) For the Mark IV, you can use a Tandemkross Mark III bushing with an added spacer on the left side, or simply install a Mark II hammer.

The redesigned Mark IV sear also contributes to the trigger problem. Use a Volquartsen replacement sear.

The sticking magazine problem disappears when you delete the magazine disconnect. There is then no need for the little spring-loaded magazine "kicker" at the bottom of the grip, and that can be removed as well.

The trigger on the Mark IV has a spur that impinges a notch at the top of the magazine, and supposedly pushes the magazine into positive engagement as the trigger is pulled. This is a solution to a nonexistent problem, and also contributes to the heavy trigger pull. The Mark IV trigger needs to be replaced by a Clark or Volquartsen trigger. (To do that, the front corners of the trigger opening in the frame need to be squared off with a needle file.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:14:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I beg to differ on the trigger pull. The Mark IV trigger pull is worse than the Mark III pull, mostly because of the more elaborate magazine disconnect, which wraps around both sides of the hammer. Getting rid of the magazine disconnect is a necessary step if you're going to have an accurate target gun. (That applies to both the Mark III and the Mark IV.) For the Mark IV, you can use a Tandemkross Mark III bushing with an added spacer on the left side, or simply install a Mark II hammer.

The redesigned Mark IV sear also contributes to the trigger problem. Use a Volquartsen replacement sear.

The sticking magazine problem disappears when you delete the magazine disconnect. There is then no need for the little spring-loaded magazine "kicker" at the bottom of the grip, and that can be removed as well.

The trigger on the Mark IV has a spur that impinges a notch at the top of the magazine, and supposedly pushes the magazine into positive engagement as the trigger is pulled. This is a solution to a nonexistent problem, and also contributes to the heavy trigger pull. The Mark IV trigger needs to be replaced by a Clark or Volquartsen trigger. (To do that, the front corners of the trigger opening in the frame need to be squared off with a needle file.)
View Quote

For me, it's an empirical observation, at least on mine. I find the trigger on my Mark IV 22/45 LITE to be far better than the Mark III 22/45 triggers I have shot, but no doubt, a Volquartsen Accurizing Kit would be the real improvement...and is planned.  

Of course, a 22/45 LITE is not a target pistol, but whatever, I like nice triggers.  I put a KIDD two-stage in a my 10/22 Takedown, so I am the king of overkill.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a MkII, that I bought new in the 80s, and I still love it. My eyes have gotten worse, and I was having trouble seeing the sights, so I recently replaced the factory sights with Williams Fire Sights. I wish I had done that years ago.

Here's an older pic, that I took when a friend was shooting it;
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:55:26 AM EDT
[#32]
In the past I shot the NRA 900 match with my MKII Target, and did well. (not the best but got silver against three others!) Great gun. Easier to take down than the Lite IMO.

I bought mine used, and put a Bushnell trophy red dot on it.

On a rest, the gun shoots the tightest group I ever shot at 25 yards. In fact, some guy at my range saw me shooting (on the rest) and said, "With an accurate gun like that, you should try our upcoming 900 match." and thats how I got into 900's. I still suck at the 1800's though.

The gun will shoot better than you! Get it!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:22:36 AM EDT
[#33]
I bought one in '06 - it sits, mostly.

Should have bought a 22/45...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:23:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I've got a stainless KMK512 with the 5.5 barrel. Accurate as the day is long.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:28:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
$350 would be fair.  
View Quote
$350 is approaching new MKIII pricing. If the seller does not like the assembly "issue" start at $250 to see what they think.  Make sure you mention that difficulty , it is really a non-issue but can help your position.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:39:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/248909/blackwing-152220.JPG
View Quote

Most favorite.  I'm still looking for one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:53:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I bought one in '06 - it sits, mostly.

Should have bought a 22/45...
View Quote

Huh.  I've got a 22/45 that I don't like...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I got a little more info.  Guy said he bought it new 20 years ago, knowing him it probably has a few hundred rounds if that through it.  It is only the gun and one mag, right now the case/paper work and other mag is MIA.  If he stumbles upon it I will get it but no guarantee.  He is pretty firm at $300.  Go for it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a MK1 in Blue that was my dad's and a MKII in Stainless that was the first pistol I every bought.  Both are stupid accurate.  Great pistols hard to go wrong.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#40]
That would be a sweet and take deal!

Red
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I got a little more info.  Guy said he bought it new 20 years ago, knowing him it probably has a few hundred rounds if that through it.  It is only the gun and one mag, right now the case/paper work and other mag is MIA.  If he stumbles upon it I will get it but no guarantee.  He is pretty firm at $300.  Go for it?
View Quote

Do it.  You will love the gun!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd offer him $250, it's a used gun and not stainless.

As said above, it ain't really that difficult to strip it down for cleaning if you follow the directions, have patience, and pull up a YouTube vid or three.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#43]
This is my favorite gun to shoot. Shoots like a laser. Cycles just about everything.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A MKII target is like having a pocket rifle.

Super accurate.
View Quote
Mine is better than both of my 10/22s to 200yards.

My trigger is really good, I see people mention trigger work, if I  recall it is around 1 1/2 lb. pull.

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would get it. The MKII is the best of the series IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I have two MKIIs and one 22/45 MKII. I really like the MKIIs. Didn't care for the MKIIIs but I'm sure they're great pistols too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I hated mine, most regrettable gun purchase I ever made.  Crappy ergos, poor reliability.  Some people love them, but I greatly prefer the Buckmark.  There isn't enough price difference to be a factor.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
$350 would be fair.  

View Quote

I am amazed they never suffered huge liability lawsuits for the skewer spike that is part of the back strap, from people stabbing themselve with that part. Maybe most owners just never bothered disassembling their mk I-IIIs.  
I have two.   The first Was the very first handgun I ever bought, a MkII 678 government model, when I was in college.   The other came a few years later and has an integral suppressed barrel.   Pretty crudely done, but still reasonably quiet.   It was built by some guy near Irwin Pa, and was my first class III item, back in the early 1990s
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Mine was a rare lemon. Jammed like crazy. Accurate and smooth when it did work, though. I'm happier with my M&P 22 but the MK4 is definitely on my radar.
View Quote

Not that rare; mine was a jammomatic, too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I own both a Buckmark and a .22/45 (Mark II), and I am torn between which is better.

The Browning feels better in my hand, but it's more of a PITA to totally clean it.  For starters, you need allen wrenches to disassemble it, and you must be careful to keep the allen screws holding the rear sight base snug, as firing tends to loosen them. (I don't use Loctite for fear of issues getting it apart later.)   Also, dry firing it causes the firing pin to make marks on the breech face above the chamber You would think Browning would have figured out how to put a firing pin stop in the pistol to prevent this....

The Ruger doesn't point quite as well, but the thing is built like a brick outhouse.  I have never heard of a Ruger breaking any parts, and it can be completely disassembled without any tools except a small punch or pick to push on some springs and pins.  Best of all, it can be dry fired until the cows come home without harming anything.

Yeah, I like to dry fire.  Its a cheap way to keep your trigger control practice up at any time of day or night.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top