Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2017 9:44:20 AM EDT
$$$, but compared to a Goal Zero, the price is not so obnoxious.

If I put a 130 Ah battery in it, 1 will be at 1/3 the price of a Yeti 1250

ArkPak at the 2013 Lucas Oil Off-Road Expo
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The one in the vid is an older version.

The one I ordered has a 300 watt inverter, and the panel will show 'net' wattage.

So if my solar panel is putting in 80 watts, but I am using 100 watts, it will show -20 watts.

Similar to the Yetis showing input and output wattage separately.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there here an advantage to using a 12 volt lead acid battery for this purpose over a dedicated Nickel Metal or Lithium system?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there here an advantage to using a 12 volt lead acid battery for this purpose over a dedicated Nickel Metal or Lithium system?
View Quote

lead acid batteries are cheaper. But this battery box charger will handle lead acid, calcium and lithium batteries.

May spring for a nice lithium battery for this thing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#4]
If you skip to 3:00 it shows the net wattage display and how it works.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#5]
$450 for a plastic box and 150 watt inverter 

You got raped!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
$450 for a plastic box and 150 watt inverter 

You got raped!
View Quote

$399, 300 watt inverter and it has a smart charger that can handle multiple battery types.

Compared to a Goal Zero, pretty good deal actually.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#7]
One day I will have an extra Xantrex or similar pure sign wave inverter and two 130Ah Data safe batteries. I have dozens of good AGM batteries from Data Safe 505 series. Running Samlex chargers in 24VDC strings and inverters.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#8]
From Amazon

300 watt inverter $25

'Smart' charger is $55

battery monitor $19

battery box $18

Total $117

so you paid almost $300 for packaging
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From Amazon

300 watt inverter $25

'Smart' charger is $55

battery monitor $19

battery box $18

Total $117

so you paid almost $300 for packaging
View Quote

Yes, I have multiple systems around here I have built that way.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#10]
How about a link to their site or something, princess?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How about a link to their site or something, princess?
View Quote

I bought it off eBay, cheaper than their website.

Seller here in FL has them for $399, just search eBay for 'ArkPak'. I just noticed buried on the eBay listing they sell the older version for $329

Ark's website is arkportablepower.com

They are an Aussie company, so the US operations are not spun up like their Australian one is.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#12]
The idea is nice,

Just not the markup.

If you didn't care about needing a built in charger or inverter.

this is $65

(edit added pic )

mount inverter on top

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The idea is nice,

Just not the markup.

If you didn't care about needing a built in charger or inverter.

this is $65
View Quote

I have one of those with a deep cycle battery I got at Walmart sitting by the front door to take out to charge via solar if the sun ever comes out, cloudy here today.

I mounted the $11, 200 watt inverter I got at NorthernTool on the side of mine.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#14]
130 Ah battery x 12 volts = 1560 watts

So if I go 130Ah battery I will have even more watts than a Yeti 1250 at a much lower price.

I love GZ stuff, own a lot of it, but the Yeti 1250 is way outside the bounds of money I would spend on it.

This ArkPak thingy accomplishes much of the same cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#15]
What is the use case for one of these?  

Are you powering instrumentation or computer equipment somewhere that gens aren't available short term?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are you powering instrumentation or computer equipment somewhere that gens aren't available short term?
View Quote

Camping, power outages, etc.

We lost power for a week after Hurricane Matthew, solar and batteries kept us in minimal power.

Good luck finding gas for a generator after a hurricane around here.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We lost power for a week after Hurricane Matthew, solar and batteries kept us in minimal power.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The trick is to take care of that stuff before a hurricane.  

Those things are pretty neat, but just that case is the equivalent price of stock piling 200 gallons of gasoline which would be much more useful.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Of course, I am the master of being prepared.

But a week long power outage is probably longer than most people plan for.

Imagine if it was Katrina and months of no power.

How much gas do you plan on keeping around?

And a Home Depot generator is not going to run non stop for 3 weeks without breaking down.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Why not?  We were Zero power for 12 days , the intermittent for another week after that. Fridge window unit 1 tv and a couple lamps powered by home depot genset.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#20]
We have a lot of folks around here with whole house generators, but they are propane or LNG or something, not gasoline.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Got it yesterday, bought a 109 Ah battery at Walmart this morning.

80 watt panel, still early morning and hazy, that is why only 1 watt going into the battery right now.

My budget Yeti 1250.

Should have shopped around more, there is a seller on eBay selling the same one $100 cheaper, doh!

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And a Home Depot generator is not going to run non stop for 3 weeks without breaking down.
View Quote

My HF generator went 7 days in a row non-stop.  Does that mean I only have 2 more weeks before it dies?  Not knocking solar, I love it in fact.  But I wonder if you aren't trying to justify some purchases a little bit.  Also, what about NG conversion in a generator?  Shit would have to get pretty bad before NG stopped flowing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

80 watt panel, still early morning and hazy, that is why only 1 watt going into the battery right now.

My budget Yeti 1250.

Should have shopped around more, there is a seller on eBay selling the same one $100 cheaper, doh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS4GFSFBbCI
View Quote

Where do you buy your solar panels? I know nothing about them.  How do I figure out how big I need to get for simple battery charging?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Suns a little higher, 9 watts going in now.

I love being able to monitor that via the onboard panel.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Where do you buy your solar panels? I know nothing about them.  How do I figure out how big I need to get for simple battery charging?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My budget Yeti 1250.

I have a lot panels bought all over the place.

Amazon, ebay, have a 90 watt panel I bought on Walmart.com for $115.

You would need a panel plus a charge controller to make sure you don't overcharge the battery.

Just search youtube 'simple solar generator' for info.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Haze is clearing, 41 watts going in now.

It will never get to the 80 watts the panel is rated for, but it should get above 60 watts later today.

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Someone brought a relative to one of the outdoor campouts.  Relative was expecting all this primitive tech stuff and what not.  It was more like bringing the living room to the campfire.

These things are handy as heck if you have stuff you need to do or if some of the utility folks like working on your utilities without telling you about it.

Last year the local electric company was working on stuff, the place I rent used to get power from one line only so if anything on that line went out I was out of power.  Woke up many a morning to no power but still had to get ready for work and what not.

Now I have power from 2 directions, so if only one line gets killed I still have power.

And with today's cell phones and stuff having a way to charge em is handy as heck, easy to have local power outage where I am at and still be able to get phone service if the phone is charged.

I like seeing what is out there, but I admit to making my own junk cause I am cheap and usually have junk around.  If you make something with 2 or more batteries buy a 2 wheel moving handtruck or one of the garden carts or something so it becomes mobile.  I pick up cheap hand trucks for cheap if they are decently sturdy to handle 100lbs or more of batteries.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#28]
One thing the Yeti 1250 has that this doesn't is a pure sign wave inverter, but I can live without that.

I wouldn't be running any sensitive electronics off the inverter anyways.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I keep about 30 gallons normally for emergencies.  upped the stock to 80 right before Sandy hit.  We were fine for two weeks.  Could have easily gone longer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#30]
For some reason, Australia has all these cool battery box companies that aren't available here.

A company called Thumper has their line there, a company called KickAss has another, they love their portable power down there.

Here it seems to be the same generic battery boxes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Example of the cool stuff Australia has we never see here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjYlkT7mWp4&t=444s[/youtube]

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You would need a panel plus a charge controller to make sure you don't overcharge the battery.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My budget Yeti 1250.

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My HF generator went 7 days in a row non-stop.  Does that mean I only have 2 more weeks before it dies?  Not knocking solar, I love it in fact.  But I wonder if you aren't trying to justify some purchases a little bit.  Also, what about NG conversion in a generator?  Shit would have to get pretty bad before NG stopped flowing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NG was shutoff to most of the coastal towns after Sandy.  The storm surge caused too much erosion, and broke enough supply pipes that they shut the mains down.  Although a disruption is rare, I would rather rely on something I own on site, than continuing feed from a public utility.  

Although I initially doubted the utility of these battery boxes, I personally don't think I would ever use one, but in a long term failure they could be a tremendous asset.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Why exactly would you want to get away from it all and then take it all with you?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why exactly would you want to get away from it all and then take it all with you?
View Quote

This is hurricane preps for me, but could be used for camping remotely as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#36]
The ArkPak's are good for what they are. I have the older version with the 150W inverter and to be hones have never used it LOL. All my stuff runs on 12V and I like it that way. Unfortunately I have outgrown the little Pak and I'm now in the process of going to 6V Golf Cart batteries in a generic box, not portable any more but more then twice the Ah :)
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Golf cart batteries are great for solar power, I used to have 4 of them.

Heavy mofos though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Putting some load on it to test it out.

I have a 60 watt panel with a Goal Zero charge controller charging the Ark Pak.

The inverter on the Ark Pak is being used to charge a Duracell jump starter pack.

The Duracell jump starter is using it's inverter to run a fan and the 12 V DC out to charge a Goal Zero Yeti 150.

Humming right along, no hicups yet.

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#39]
So the ArkPak doesn't have a solar charge controller? Just a 12V input for charging I take it?

I have a 100W panel on my back deck that I fed the lines in through a hole in the wall which formerly had phone lines in it. I have a small 18Ah 12V battery connected to the charge controller, and a 12V cigarette lighter socket wired up to it. I have a 150W inverter that I can plug into that.

Recently got a 20100mAh Omnicharge unit (neat little portable battery that has a 100W AC inverter built in, two USB ports, and the DC Input can accept up to 80V, IICR. The DC input can also be used as an output. I have an adapter cable that will connect to my MS Surface Book to power it) It's an awesome device, but a bit pricey if you didn't get in on the KickStarter for it.

I may look into one of the smaller ArkPak boxes to replace my setup. If it doesn't have a solar charge controller on it, I'll just bolt the one I have to it and wire it up. I only charge that system off of solar anyway.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#40]
It has a smart charger built in, but if charging via solar via the 12 VDC outlet or the battery clamps, that bypasses the charger, so yes, you need a solar charge controller if charging that way.

I found a seller out of Chicago on eBay that is selling brand new Ark Pak I bought for $100 cheaper than I paid, if you can't find it I will IM you.

I will probably buy it in a week or so if no one else does before then.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I am thinking on why Australia has more cool battery power stations than we do here in USA.

Maybe they don't allow the flood of cheap Chinese shit in like we do, so leaves room for more home-grown Aussie companies to compete?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Some seller out of Chicago keeps throwing these up one at a time for $299 or best offer.

Really tempted to order a second one.

As arfcom says, 2 is 1, 1 is none
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Someone bought it out from under me.

I IM'd the seller to ask if he had more, he does and will list another one soon (his words)

He must have bought out a closing down store or they fell off the back of a truck (it is Chicago) or something to sell them at that price, they are $449 or some on Amazon.

He does have a lot of feedback and 100% on eBay though, so I assume legit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Do you have discussions with yourself often?

Maybe this power pack thing can be your friend.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Do you have discussions with yourself often?

Maybe this power pack thing can be your friend.
View Quote
Just giving out info, it is a stream of thought process with me.

Next post might be about turtles.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#46]
I like it OP. Tag.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I like it OP. Tag.
View Quote
They are really effing cool, and the only cool one that has made it to USA out of Australia, ton's of cool ones down there.

If folks want the cheap ones we normally have here, go be poor somewhere else
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#48]
How long will one of these run a Hitachi magic  wand and/or fleshlight?

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How long will one of these run a Hitachi magic  wand and/or fleshlight?

View Quote
No idea, and a fleshlight uses batteries?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I keep about 30 gallons normally for emergencies.  upped the stock to 80 right before Sandy hit.  We were fine for two weeks.  Could have easily gone longer.
View Quote
My gen is a Tri-fuel. Uses Gasoline, LP, or natural gas. I have a 1000 gallon LP tank for heat and the genny.

Certainly, not everlasting, but will run it quite a while.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top