Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 1:01:32 AM EDT
Just got back from a trip to Detroit and get a fraud alert from Capital One. $627.55 in charges made in the Vancouver BC area. I'm betting it was compromised either at the ghetto hotel I stayed in OR the movie theater my son and I visited. I fucking hate thieves 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Apparently AmEx didn't think it's weird that someone named Ahmed Happy was renting cars and buying airplane tickets with my card
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:04:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Went to Detroit and "tha D" gave you something to remember it by, eh?

Yeah, "tha D" will do that to ya.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:05:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Why 76.35 at all the different purchases?? weird.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:06:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I'm not quite getting that either.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Bummer, happened to me, also likely from a hotel.  For sure it was immediately after an out of state trip.  Just be glad its a credit card not a debit card.  We also turned on the notifications, its kind of a pain sometimes but getting a text about a charge is better than finding out hours later.  This event made me change everything away from using my debit card, which is my money.  Now I use CC or cash, only have debit for emergencies...

Edit:  In my case the thieves donated 10 to the Red Cross for a test I assume.  Then slammed over 1k on ticketmaster.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:07:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I assume $100 Canadian gift cards.  That's only $76.35 in real money 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:07:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, thieves suck, but this is basically a non-event. Call bank, reverse charges, get new card. It's like a 10 minute ordeal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:08:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I got screwed just before Christmas. A bunch of charges in the UK. 

Cunts! 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#9]
If its a credit card they didn't actually steal from you.  You're out nothing other than time to call and get a new card.  Not a whole lot to get spun up about.  Get a replacement card and move on.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:12:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Testing the 75 dollar fraud limit.

Op don't worry about it. That why you use your card. Dispute that shit with a simple phone call and it's done. Call them and say I did not authorize these transactions. Done.

If folks actually read their agreement they would understand there are very good benefits of using a credit card. It's the dummies that don't read what they sign that fund all these benefits for those that do.

Not calling you a dummy op. Unless of course you didn't read what you signed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:12:17 AM EDT
[#11]
It happens. Thankfully your card picked up on it and notified you. Your loss is zero, but it does piss you off.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:18:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Op don't worry about it. That why you use your card. Dispute that shit with a simple phone call and it's done. Call them and say I did not authorize these transactions. Done.

If folks actually read their agreement they would understand there are very good benefits of using a credit card. It's the dummies that don't read what they sign that fund all these benefits for those that do.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's already taken care of and a new card on the way.  I did all that BEFORE posting about the thieves.  Just venting my irritation.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Capital One called me telling me my account is locked for fraud investigation (twice). 1st time someone used my cc number at the iTunes 5 times (wasn't my normal purchasing pattern) and the other time was $10 gift cards at Petland. Called the CS rep after listening to my voicemail and said those weren't mine, especially the iTunes ones since the only Apple product I own is a 1984 Apple //e. He chuckled on that. Other card just said the same, never used it at petland. Got new cards and numbers within a couple days for each.

Cap 1 is pretty good on looking out for its customers. Cant say the same for Citibank.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:32:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No, it's already taken care of and a new card on the way.  I did all that BEFORE posting about the thieves.  Just venting my irritation.
View Quote

Thieves are everywhere.  They suck. But I hear ya on getting credit card compromised. You're like mother fuckers!

That's why I review every statement. I've had some slimy vendors on a dispute say "we delivered item to spidey's address"

The thieves collude with the thieves to commit fraud. It's a massive industry and why CC companies spend so much resources to fight it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:41:28 AM EDT
[#15]
This is why you use a credit card.
It's their money esp so if you pay your statement balance monthly.

Let them fight to get it back.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I always bring this up in these threads...

Your debit card has the same protections as your credit card, as long as you use it as a credit card (ie you don't use your PIN number for a purchase) if it has the visa or mastercard logo on it.

If you use it as a debit card (with PIN number), it's between you and your issuing bank.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:56:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I always bring this up in these threads...

Your debit card has the same protections as your credit card, as long as you use it as a credit card (ie you don't use your PIN number for a purchase) if it has the visa or mastercard logo on it.

If you use it as a debit card (with PIN number), it's between you and your issuing bank.
View Quote

Sure, but its not a guarantee you'll get YOUR money back in your account in a timely matter.  Where as with a CC you're out nothing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:03:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sure, but its not a guarantee you'll get YOUR money back in your account in a timely matter.  Where as with a CC you're out nothing.
View Quote

When used as a CC, you'll get your money back as quickly as if it had been a CC.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:07:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Happened to me 3 times last year.  It doesn't even surprise me anymore.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:09:11 AM EDT
[#20]
In my experience as a consumer, thieves (waiters) get your credit card at the restaurant you've eaten at. They take your card out of your site. In Charlotte I narrowed it down to 2 different restaurants and my wife's hair salon. We just pay with cash for everything when dining now. I'm sure waiters prefer cash anyway so they don't pay taxes. It's a lose/lose for America.

100 Canadian Dollar equals 76.24 US Dollar as of today. 76.35 doesn't seem far off.

I'm told in Europe the waiters bring the device to the customers to reduce theft.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:09:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Where did you buy gas in detroit?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:13:58 AM EDT
[#22]
My CU has an app that will send me a notification every time either my debit or CC is used.  Some may find it annoying but it's a great piece of mind.  Alerted me to someone using my card at a gas station in Michigan and another time at a restaurant in CO.  Piece of cake to get the situation resolved within minutes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:18:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not OP, but I use an AMEX company card for gas all over the country, and I often use a mastercard and discover for personal dining.
My AMEX has never been stolen, while the other two would get stolen frequently.
Sometimes I'll read about a hijacked gas station, but in my experience it's always a restaraunt.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:39:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's called a clue...that something is amiss.

I'm always amazed at how my CC companies can spot the fraudulent from the genuine.

My card was just compromised with a Wyndham Resort charge...from a location at which I somewhat regularly stay but haven't visited in 6 or so months.

I guess since it wasn't ammo they figured something was wrong.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:09:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Counting my AmEx and MC I have been hit 6 times over the last 14 years. Everytime it was caught quick and was issued a new card with no expense to me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:18:07 AM EDT
[#26]
The last card I had stolen was my Amex. Somebody bought a $200 snowboard.  They didn't catch it until I called them.  I told the customer service girl to look into my purchase history. If its not firearm related, car parts, or school books its most likely fraud.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:21:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Edit:  In my case the thieves donated 10 to the Red Cross for a test I assume.  Then slammed over 1k on ticketmaster.
View Quote

The charity thing is weird.  When they hit me they donated $100.  to mercy ships.  

It all got refunded but now I'm on a charity's mailing list.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:50:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I came home Saturday to find a set of credit cards in the mail to a business I don't even own with my name in the business name.  I called and let Chase know about it right away.  The account was cancelled, but dang, someone has my info.  

Got Experian to add me to their monitoring service and lock my Credit info at all three agencies.

Thieves.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Can you set up text alerts on your account?  My account (Wells Fargo) will text me based on limits I've placed.  The limits are: more than three purchases per day, location dependent purchases, and a purchase >$100 means my phone gets a text.  I just went through this crap last week.  Thankfully the assholes that stole the info had a bunch of declined charges.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always buy gas in certain dollar amounts that always end in ".08."  Like "$8.08," "$10.08" etc.  If I can't get the pump to stop on ".08" then I'll go to ".18," but it always ends in "8."

This way, when I am looking at my statement, I can always tell at a glance if a gas purchase was not made by me.

I always check gas pump credit card readers for "skimmers" or any attached device that looks suspicious also.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I always buy gas in certain dollar amounts that always end in ".08."  Like "$8.08," "$10.08" etc.  If I can't get the pump to stop on ".08" then I'll go to ".18," but it always ends in "8."

This way, when I am looking at my statement, I can always tell at a glance if a gas purchase was not made by me.

I always check gas pump credit card readers for "skimmers" or any attached device that looks suspicious also.
View Quote

Still good to check, but the skimmers have gotten so good you can't see them.

I got skimmed at a public parking garage in Memphis.  Checked it just like I always do.  When I spoke to the fraud company for my bank, the guy tells me some of the new skimmers fit inside the card slot.  You can't see them and no amount of tugging on exterior would obviously work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#32]
In my area thieves are now openning gas pumps to put the skimmers internally so you don't see them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In my area thieves are now openning gas pumps to put the skimmers internally so you don't see them.
View Quote
Gas stations are open 24/7 how does one simply fuck with one?

Or are they in on it with the gas station owners?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Text from citi bank this morning asking about a $471 charge at Walmart in Texas. Nope. Wasn't me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Gas stations are open 24/7 how does one simply fuck with one?

Or are they in on it with the gas station owners?
View Quote

People just aren't noticing that it is happening. There have been instances where they have had keys that work in the pumps to open them up, other instances they are physically prying them open. Other customers and employees are none the wiser. Been getting this on camera but rarely do people go check the security footage until after they find there is a problem. We haven't been finding it until after multiple reports of fraud and tracing back the source.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In my experience as a consumer, thieves (waiters) get your credit card at the restaurant you've eaten at. They take your card out of your site. In Charlotte I narrowed it down to 2 different restaurants and my wife's hair salon. We just pay with cash for everything when dining now. I'm sure waiters prefer cash anyway so they don't pay taxes. It's a lose/lose for America.

100 Canadian Dollar equals 76.24 US Dollar as of today. 76.35 doesn't seem far off.

I'm told in Europe the waiters bring the device to the customers to reduce theft.
View Quote

Yes. In Europe they bring a machine for you to swipe. The card never leaves your hands.

It's a culture and trust difference. Not really for fraud protection. They don't embrace credit cards like we do.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

When used as a CC, you'll get your money back as quickly as if it had been a CC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, you are missing the point.  With the CC you are out literally nothing.  With a debit card, even ran as credit, its still removes those funds from your checking account and you are at the will of whatever banking institution you have to refund those funds to your account at their timeframe and discretion.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Again, you are missing the point.  With the CC you are out literally nothing.  With a debit card, even ran as credit, its still removes those funds from your checking account and you are at the will of whatever banking institution you have to refund those funds to your account at their timeframe and discretion.
View Quote

Yep. CC you lose zero, bank account drained takes a little bit of doing to put money back in it
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If its a credit card they didn't actually steal from you.  You're out nothing other than time to call and get a new card.  Not a whole lot to get spun up about.  Get a replacement card and move on.
View Quote

Absolutely.
You also get extra points for being smart enough to use a CC instead of a debit card which would of course mean they really did steal from you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#40]
The bastards got me over the weekend, fortunately I caught it with the help of the bank and cancelled the card before it got crazy. Bank sent me a text about a transaction at a barber shop in Maryland while I was at work in GA Saturday.

Last time I got hit someone in Greece was attempting to use my AMEX card to buy first class airline tickets to Hong Kong. They had already ordered some high end electronics as well. Fuck a bunch of thieves.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
A Marathon gas station at 1300 Southfield Fwy, Dearborn, MI.  However, I did NOT use the card that compromised there.  I only used it at the hotel, movie theater, & 4 restaurants.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless you open up the pump, you are only checking a layover style. Those are a small minority of gas pump skimmers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top