Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#1]
In this thread we find out who knows fuck-all about military bolts, firing pins, etc.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

After further consideration, nevermind.

This is why Californians shouldn't be allowed access to guns.

View Quote

Going with this.  Guess I should get rid of all my ARs according to op.  They all be broken
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What the f**k Century!  What if this had gone off?  If it fired, and the recoil cycled it, what was to stop it from happening 9 more times!  Could have had a f**king run-away full auto going off in my garage!

You shut your dirty whore mouth right now!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my C308 and will not listen to you bad-mouthing it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow!  What fuckery is this?

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I love my C308 and will not listen to you bad-mouthing it.
View Quote

Who are we to bad mouth your sub-$500 machine gun?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I am a bit lost.  Do G3s, HK91s, CETMEs, and the like normally dimple the firing pin even though they have springs to hold the firing pin back?  I understand ARs, M14s etc. do it because they have floating firing pins.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe needs some more filing of the firing pin to get full auto.

Thread not going the way OP intended.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread should serve as a reminder to anyone to never, ever, post a tech-related post in GD.......
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Did yours go bang on safe too?

Like a Geissele on fire, and like a deal with the devil on safe.
View Quote

No, my safety worked, but the gun doubled and tripled.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok, I am a bit lost.  Do G3s, HK91s, CETMEs, and the like normally dimple the firing pin even though they have springs to hold the firing pin back?  I understand ARs, M14s etc. do it because they have floating firing pins.
View Quote

Pin sits in the LP and bolt head. Spring on the tail end of it. The bolt and LP both move forward and back during firing.
So you insert mag.
Pull back three feet..lock the charging handle in place.
Slap down in your best Steven segal impression...
This now sends the 1 foot long three pound bolt carrier..head forward at 87mph. Before it slams into the trunion.
The spring that holds the firing pin...is pencil thin and at best 1 1/4 inches long..
Vs
The recoil spring that is 2ft long.

Soooooooo..... that pin will move.

OP

Try rtg.org uric. Robert.
Tons of HK parts..cetme parts...
Or least he did when I bought parts kits back in the early 2'k.

Sight adjustment is as posted.

Unscrew set screw.
Use sight tool to rotate the sight 1/4 turns as it's offset. Then re secure set screw.

I tried my own trigger job once......
Once.....lol that got fun fast. Luckily it was a privately owned range a gun was taken apart asap.

Now I gotta go do inventory on parts to see what I got lol .
I should sell off the junk I ain't using anymore...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Here you go OP.

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/CETME-c176.htm

find a manual online. Itll explain things.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is this your first time dealing with a military style rifle?

This is not at all unusual.

If you want real excitement, get yourself a Springfield trigger to go with it.
View Quote

What do you mean by this? I just bought a PTR 91 and about to send the trigger off to Bill Springfield for a trigger job. Serious question.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What do you mean by this? I just bought a PTR 91 and about to send the trigger off to Bill Springfield for a trigger job. Serious question.
View Quote

People still use Bill Springfield for trigger work?
He has ruined so many fire control groups and made so many firearms unsafe it's not even funny.
It's great when he stones all the way through the surface hardness of components and gets to the chewy center so that your trigger works fine for the first thousand rounds or so then starts dropping the hammer on it's own...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Holy shit we's all gonna die!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#16]
And this is why it's recommended ALL semi auto rifles with a free floating pin have hardened primers in the ammo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Is this thread for real? OP actually serious or is he trolling us? I can't tell.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#18]
This place has been invaded by retards...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Lol!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

People still use Bill Springfield for trigger work?
He has ruined so many fire control groups and made so many firearms unsafe it's not even funny.
It's great when he stones all the way through the surface hardness of components and gets to the chewy center so that your trigger works fine for the first thousand rounds or so then starts dropping the hammer on it's own...
View Quote
My personal favorite: putting the gun on safety drops the hammer. 
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did the same.

Mine was under 2 pounds pull weight... think SD3G on steroids. That was on F.

It was about 10 - 12 pounds to fire when on S.

I would not recommend his services at this time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#22]
That's pretty normal. Go look at your AR brass.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#23]
OP is embarrassed and left.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Pretty cheap fix. The spring is easy to find online.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-G3-HK-91-PTR-91-Firing-Pin-Spring-p498.htm

http://www.keepshooting.com/g3-firing-pin-spring.html

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK91-G3-SPRING-FOR-FIRING-PIN-p2071.htm

https://www.apexgunparts.com/heckler-koch/g3-hk91-firing-pin-spring-nos.html
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Ummm that's normal....

go chamber a round in an ar15 or ar10 then extract and eject it...look at the primer...

the spring has to be just strong enough to keep the primer from firing but not strong enough to limit the firing pin when it is struck by the hammer...

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Replace the spring, done. Yes, AR firing pins freefloat and strike the primer when they are chambered. This rifle has a spring to stop that from happening, so it is not working properly. Replace the spring instead of stroking out.
View Quote

It is working properly...

it is not meant to keep the primer from denting it is meant to keep the primer from detonating.

but what the fuck do I know
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes...because you don't want a spring so strong that it keeps the firing pin from detonating a primer when hit with the hammer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

it is not meant to keep the primer from denting it is meant to keep the primer from detonating.

View Quote

you need a youtube channel to up your arf street creed. Other wise no one will believe you..
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What the f**k Century!  What if this had gone off?  If it fired, and the recoil cycled it, what was to stop it from happening 9 more times!  Could have had a f**king run-away full auto going off in my garage!

This. Why are you using live rounds to test it. This is why they make dummy rounds.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Thank you OP, I checked my rifles thanks to your thread and now they are all at the smiths getting fixed
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Dramatic post OP. Not a very dramatic problem though lol.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Got a C308 and talked about it here: Archive Thread (TLDR: broken extractor, about a month to get the parts from Century).

Today, I was doing some work on it to make it CA compliant .  During this process, I chambered a round from my  10 round magazine to make sure the feeding issues from my 5 rounder were in fact caused by that mag (they were).  Pulled the bolt back, locked it, picked the ejected round off the floor, and saw this:

Factory new round left, ejected round right
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453799/IMAG0506-151611.JPG

My firing pin spring is, like every other part in my gun, surplus.  Apparently, it was so surplus that it can't retain the firing pin when the bolt flies forward, and allows the firing pin to peek out and strike the primer.  

IDK how other people's C308s are, but I no longer feel safe with the condition of my rifle, and won't feel safe until I have modern, factory new springs from stem to stern.  Some of them I can find on hkparts.net, but I can't find ANY of the FCG springs or parts because HK doesn't seem to have them.  Anyone know where to get the springs for a non-shank trigger pack?  Or know a company that sells a complete kit of springs?  For obvious reasons, I'm not really trusting any springs Century would send me.
View Quote

Why the fuck are you clambering live ammo in your house? That's how people get killed. Ever hear of dummy rounds?

ETA: damn beat by 21 minutes....
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#33]
OP sad now?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

you need a youtube channel to up your arf street creed. Other wise no one will believe you..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what my wife says
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I still have your butchered trigger group somewhere around here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I did the same.

View Quote

My PTR would have frequent misfires after his "trigger job".
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I did the same.

View Quote

Undefined's trigger pack did the same thing in my Portuguese G3S, but I couldn't make it fire by wiggling the housing, as Undefined's Greek G3 apparently could.

There is enough meat missing on the sear surface that the only thing holding back the hammer is a little spring pressure.

"He shouldn't be working on guns at this time" was an oft-repeated phrase that sums up his handiwork.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll leave it as is unless I find another solution. I did buy this as a battle rifle and not a precision rifle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll leave it as is unless I find another solution. I did buy this as a battle rifle and not a precision rifle.
View Quote

Hopefully we saved you some headache.
You know, from when your rifle went off when it was on safe and you didn't have your ear pro on.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Eerhmagerd! Ferrrn Perrrrnn!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

My PTR 91 doesn't leave a mark on the primer like the OPs. That said, I think my AKs and AR does.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Undefined's trigger pack did the same thing in my Portuguese G3S, but I couldn't make it fire by wiggling the housing, as Undefined's Greek G3 apparently could.

There is enough meat missing on the sear surface that the only thing holding back the hammer is a little spring pressure.

"He shouldn't be working on guns at this time" was an oft-repeated phrase that sums up his handiwork.
View Quote

Great.  I sent him something a while back that was horrible before I sent it.

Got it back and the pull is great now, but I haven't actually tested it with live yet.

All of the "greatest thing evar!" posts I saw about this guy, and now I read this....
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Protip: If confronted by two attackers, shoot the one on the left.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Got it back and the pull is great now, but I haven't actually tested it with live yet.

All of the "greatest thing evar!" posts I saw about this guy, and now I read this....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dry fire it by putting it on SAFE, and pulling the trigger hard. Moving your finger off of the trigger, push it over to FIRE. His trigger jobs have caused guns to fire when this is done, due to BS's ham-handed "gunsmithing". Look at the underside of your trigger and see if the spring has been wadded-up, in an attempt to make enough spring pressure to keep everything cocked.

I'm not joking, his stuff is a mess sometimes, as both Undefined and I can attest to.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Dry fire it by putting it on SAFE, and pulling the trigger hard. Moving your finger off of the trigger, push it over to FIRE. His trigger jobs have caused guns to fire when this is done, due to BS's ham-handed "gunsmithing". Look at the underside of your trigger and see if the spring has been wadded-up, in an attempt to make enough spring pressure to keep everything cocked.

I'm not joking, his stuff is a mess sometimes, as both Undefined and I can attest to.
View Quote

I'll check it over.  I was quite pleased with the trigger pull, but haven't actually live-tested it yet.

The old Cetme board that was around in the mid 2000's had nothing but good things to say about the guy and his work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks like I may have gotten lucky.

Safe is safe.  No amount of pulling will let the hammer drop.

On fire I have a very nice, crisp trigger that is probably 4-5 lbs.

Think I'm going to pull an old kit trigger pack out and compare the two to see exactly what he did.

Great trigger pull if he didn't mess anything up doing it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'll see.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#50]
I bought a new C308 two weeks ago. I've already had it to the range several times and dumped a bunch of PRVI Partizen ammo downrange with it. Not a single FTF and pretty damned accurate (I scoped it with an illuminated Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x). So far, I dig the shit out of my C308. In fact, I like shooting it better than my SA M1A that I've had for many years.

BTW... several years ago my M1A had a series of double-fires. Scared the hell out of me at the time. Wasn't sure what was going-on. Figured-out that it was sloppy trigger discipline and it's never happened since.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top