BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:40:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Figures GD would rush in to defend it and call it "no big deal".  If you don't think there is anything that can be nefarious about this, then I know a bridge you may be interested in.  Not to mention just how plain UGLY it is!
View Quote

Just what nefarious info do you think can come from it? Do you think the gun is recording info about you and updating it real time on the QR code?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:08:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Full auto conversion?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:08:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Figures GD would rush in to defend it and call it "no big deal".  If you don't think there is anything that can be nefarious about this, then I know a bridge you may be interested in.  Not to mention just how plain UGLY it is!
View Quote
I know right? If you're in the middle of a mall shooting at people and a cop comes by a with a scanner, he could theoretically get close enough to you to scan the code and INSTANTLY get the serial number of your gun
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:36:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have begun to notice this lately, not only is it ugly, but it sets a bad precedent about tracking and tracing your guns.
View Quote

You do realize that machines can just read the regular serial numbers now, right?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:37:40 AM EDT
[#5]
This is a bar code 

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:25:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is a 2d barcode called a data matrix.

The military started using them about 10 years ago, the program is called Item Unique Identification or IUID.

There are a couple of ways to formulate the barcode, my guess this one contains the cage code, then the part number, then the serial number.

If it is scribed into the metal it is called Direct Part Marking (DPM).

The sig MK25 in a previous photo has a IUID mark that is made with a material called TESA Tape. Some German car companies started using the material prior to the military to combat counterfeit parts in Africa.

IUID helps the military track goods from procurement until the item is disposed of and allows different databases to exchange information about items with IUID barcodes as the items are unique throughout the DoD.
View Quote

Yup.  IIRC Mil Std 130 has the details.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:42:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Meh... don't really care for it aesthetically. Saw it appearing on the new Colt 901s. Glad I got a lightly used slightly older one without that. That and I lucked out and got my second James Bond serial numbered gun... now have two guns from different manufacturers starting with 007.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:53:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Never change, GD.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's the only info that you're able to get from it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just what nefarious info do you think can come from it? Do you think the gun is recording info about you and updating it real time on the QR code?
View Quote

The sky is falling!!!! It contains Colt's CAGE code and *GASP* THE SERIAL NUMBER OF THE WEAPON. OH TEH NOES!!!! ZOMG!!!! BIG BROTHER!!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks like shit.

Can that be legally removed as long as the numerical serial number is left intact?
View Quote

That tiny little factory finished mark really detracts from it all.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#12]
UID, required on all military contacts for serial controlled items for a while now.  Some companies have started putting it on all their guns/optics.  
I think it's partly so the "mil-spec" leg humpers can say their gun is "mil-spec"

IIRC besides serial number and manufacturer it also contains part number, NSN, aquistion cost and possibly contract #.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's not a barcode.
View Quote

That's not a moon!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

ATF taking a dim view?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure...what could go wrong?

ATF taking a dim view?

Probably renders it a machine gun. Kinda like marking a hole on the frame does.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Once the NSA learned everyone was onto the gps location tracking in regular barcode found on products like cheetos, they came up with this new mark. It not only reports your location, but also round count, blood sugar level, income, average time spent on the toilet and also your favorite color.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got a new Colt LE6920 with the little QR code engraved on it.  I scanned it with my phone and the only info in it is Colt's cage code and the serial number.

Once the NSA learned everyone was onto the gps location tracking in regular barcode found on products like cheetos, they came up with this new mark. It not only reports your location, but also round count, blood sugar level, income, average time spent on the toilet and also your favorite color.

Can I get access to those reports, then I wouldn't have to prick the finger?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I might win a prize.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got a new Colt LE6920 with the little QR code engraved on it.  I scanned it with my phone and the only info in it is Colt's cage code and the serial number.

Put yours in the microwave for 30 seconds it will solve your concerns.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Watch the Chris Bartocci video on the Colt Expanse.  He discusses Colt's use of a QR code for inventory tracking through the manufacturing process.  That's all it is.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Fast and Furious tracking panel.  Where did you get that gun??
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't worry about it on Colts.  Eventually they'll start half assing it and it won't be scannable anyways.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL, good catch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What...uhh...product is that barcode actually on?

LOL, good catch.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Jeez, what information do you think is in that QR?  It was put on when the gun was made.  It is not an RFID, it is a completely passive image.  Scan it with a QR reader app on your phone.

I seriously doubt it has your personal information on it.

Barcodes prevent transposition errors on inventory tracking and even during purchases.  As more manufacturers do this, it is more likely you will see sellers scanning the barcode when you buy a gun, instead of typing it in by hand.

A handwritten or typed serial number could attach your name to the WRONG gun, which could be used in crimes, simply by shifting a number or misreading the serial.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:35:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's not a barcode.
View Quote

Also, I can weld Aluminum...just saying.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah, but they are usually in the form of a sticker or part of a label. Not etched, engraved or stamped into the product itself.
View Quote

Gun serials usually aren't in the form of stickers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, but they are usually in the form of a sticker or part of a label. Not etched, engraved or stamped into the product itself.
View Quote

Negative.  

Examples
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So inform us, what's nefarious about this mark? Is it the mark of the beast?
View Quote

It is the symbol of the Illuminati, the Masons, and the Nazis hidden in Antarctica.  It can be read by Keyhole satellites, while inside the safe, inside your house.  No matter where the gun is, the barcode is being read and it is updating the database in the Skulls computers.  Along with your weight, eating habits, sexual proclivities and how many times you have been sprayed with chemtrails from the United 767 that always flies over your house at 35000 feet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't there in place of a serial number.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Negative.  

Examples
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative.  

Examples

Like I said, usually.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its for inventory tracking lots of products have them

In manufacturing, they are usually pin stamped into the metal. Nothing new or uncommon, you just don't see it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#32]
If you touch it, it will get absorbed into your skin and form an ID chip which will identify you as a firearms owner.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It isn't there in place of a serial number.
View Quote

It is, it's for part tracking.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm guessing it's for more efficient inventory tracking, containing the same info found elsewhere on the gun. 
View Quote

Wouldn't a sticker be more efficient?  I don't understand what's in that code and don't want it on my rifle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Wouldn't a sticker be more efficient?  I don't understand what's in that code and don't want it on my rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm guessing it's for more efficient inventory tracking, containing the same info found elsewhere on the gun. 

Stickers fall off, get scratched up, and get obscured. You pinstamp that code onto the part as your first operation and you can track it through the entire process. A process that includes a ton of coolant when machining. Using a sticker would be a terrible idea.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#37]
We should check with Alex Jones on this.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Just your standard Illuminati/NSA RFID tracking QR code.  No big deal.  Just helps them inventory when the New World Order is finally in power.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#39]
It's the barcode on the back of your neck I'd be worried about...
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#40]
So what are the pre qr lowers going to sell for?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#41]
makes it easier to do inventory of an armory every month. just scan it instead of picking up every item and reading off the serial number
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#42]

One tap problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That's new, last colt I bought about 6 month ago did not have it.
View Quote
It's not new, they have been doing it at least a year now
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#44]
That is a QR code. Odd, nonetheless.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#45]
That's not the answer this is...

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depending on your viewpoint, a goddamn shoelace can be claimed to be nefarious. 

That don't make it so. 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Guess you're not going to buy an ACOG now either

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Says the guy who had no idea what he was looking at.
Your gun already has a unique serial number. How is that any different?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I always assumed it was to make armourers lives easier come inventory time .

Would imagine a big organization could just get scanners and software
View Quote

Its an IUID tag for military inventory.  We have scanners that read that and log the date/time it was inventoried.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Lol I see what you did there
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top