Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/21/2017 11:57:12 PM EDT
Have begun to notice this lately, not only is it ugly, but it sets a bad precedent about tracking and tracing your guns.  I forget the last firearm I saw it on, but check out this colt lower....

WTF is this garbage?

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
That's not a barcode.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
QR code... probably has the same info already stamped on the weapon
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]
That's new, last colt I bought about 6 month ago did not have it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm guessing it's for more efficient inventory tracking, containing the same info found elsewhere on the gun. 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:00:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Holy shit, next thing you know they'll require unique numbers stamped into them as well! 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#6]
this is a barcode.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm guessing it's for more efficient inventory tracking, containing the same info found elsewhere on the gun. 
View Quote

This its for more accurate manufactures database rather then omg the atf is evil kind of thing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like shit.

Can that be legally removed as long as the numerical serial number is left intact?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:06:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like shit.

Can that be legally removed as long as the numerical serial number is left intact?
View Quote

Sure...what could go wrong?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sure...what could go wrong?
View Quote

ATF taking a dim view?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Could the numerical code be removed if the QR is left intact?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Its for inventory tracking lots of products have them
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Actually it is Datamatrix, a popular 2D barcode format for parts these days - especially automotive.

I deal with these frequently.  It is a pretty efficient way of cramming a lot of data into a small symbol and typically can withstand a pretty good amount of damage before it is unable to decode.

Can't say I really want them on my guns, though

I think there is a fad of 'tacticoolness' going on with them right now appearing on certain lines.  They probably make it pretty easy to inventory arms with a scanner though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got a new Colt LE6920 with the little QR code engraved on it.  I scanned it with my phone and the only info in it is Colt's cage code and the serial number.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Figures GD would rush in to defend it and call it "no big deal".  If you don't think there is anything that can be nefarious about this, then I know a bridge you may be interested in.  Not to mention just how plain UGLY it is!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:20:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've got a new Colt LE6920 with the little QR code engraved on it.  I scanned it with my phone and the only info in it is Colt's cage code and the serial number.
View Quote

That's the only info that you're able to get from it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:22:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always assumed it was to make armourers lives easier come inventory time .

Would imagine a big organization could just get scanners and software
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a 2d code it's used in every MFG process.

Keyence readers pick it up quick and make my life 10000 times easier .
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:23:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Figures GD would rush in to defend it and call it "no big deal".  If you don't think there is anything that can be nefarious about this, then I know a bridge you may be interested in.  Not to mention just how plain UGLY it is!
View Quote

So inform us, what's nefarious about this mark? Is it the mark of the beast?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So inform us, what's nefarious about this mark? Is it the mark of the beast?
View Quote
This should be good...
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#22]

What...uhh...product is that barcode actually on?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:26:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:27:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What...uhh...product is that barcode actually on?
View Quote

LOL, good catch.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#27]

You got the new fleshlight too?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#28]
LOL. Do you even know how barcodes work?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Holy shit, next thing you know they'll require unique numbers stamped into them as well! 
View Quote

Unique numbers, thats what we call an ear tattoo on the deer raised in deer pens in Texas.  Now its a serial number on a firearm.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once the NSA learned everyone was onto the gps location tracking in regular barcode found on products like cheetos, they came up with this new mark. It not only reports your location, but also round count, blood sugar level, income, average time spent on the toilet and also your favorite color.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:50:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Have begun to notice this lately, not only is it ugly, but it sets a bad precedent about tracking and tracing your guns.  I forget the last firearm I saw it on, but check out this colt lower....

WTF is this garbage?

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/623641000/623641767/pix232962531.jpg
View Quote

OP you know most new guns come with a transmitter chip used to help locate the item in a warehouse , in theory the ATF can track this chip at 1/4 a mile

but hey it's probably all bullshit

don't read this if ypu smoke weed
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:53:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fer fuck's sake.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:53:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Once the NSA learned everyone was onto the gps location tracking in regular barcode found on products like cheetos, they came up with this new mark. It not only reports your location, but also round count, blood sugar level, income, average time spent on the toilet and also your favorite color.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Orange, it's a color and a food.
Confuses the ufck out the algorithms but they're working on it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#34]
A QR code that you could scan with your smartphone and make the owner/armor manual pop up would be cool.

Come to think of it, that would be useful for all sorts of shit, not just guns....
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:01:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Stock up on these now before the globalists sink their 2d barcode hooks into you and pick up some of the best nutriceuticals on earth, like brain force, now with 50% more flavor molecules.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Great NOW i want a gun with one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:06:56 AM EDT
[#37]
It is a 2d barcode called a data matrix.

The military started using them about 10 years ago, the program is called Item Unique Identification or IUID.

There are a couple of ways to formulate the barcode, my guess this one contains the cage code, then the part number, then the serial number.

If it is scribed into the metal it is called Direct Part Marking (DPM).

The sig MK25 in a previous photo has a IUID mark that is made with a material called TESA Tape. Some German car companies started using the material prior to the military to combat counterfeit parts in Africa.

IUID helps the military track goods from procurement until the item is disposed of and allows different databases to exchange information about items with IUID barcodes as the items are unique throughout the DoD.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:11:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The military started using them about 10 years ago, the program is called Item Unique Identification or IUID.

There are a couple of ways to formulate the barcode, my guess this one contains the cage code, then the part number, then the serial number.

The sig MK25 in a previous photo has a IUID mark that is made with a material called TESA Tape. Some German car companies started using the material prior to the military to combat counterfeit parts in Africa.

IUID helps the military track goods from procurement until the item is disposed of and allows different databases to exchange information about items with IUID barcodes as the items are unique throughout the DoD.
View Quote
In other words, it's the mark of the beast and sign of the end time.  No wonder OP is panicked.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:18:43 AM EDT
[#40]
In on this one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:19:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In other words, it's the mark of the beast and sign of the end time.  No wonder OP is panicked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just an easy way to track the issue and receipt of a firearm
Barcodes help prevent typos from occurring and speed up the inventory cycle count process.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:20:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Glock as the same stamp mark on their barrels.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:23:45 AM EDT
[#43]

Depending on how the mark was made... it can be very difficult to remove it so that it can't be detected.... for example, if it was made with a 'dot peen' type of machine, the marking process deforms the metal in such a way that just taking the top layer off won't prevent a professional from being able to get the data from the barcode.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:26:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Glock as the same stamp mark on their barrels.
View Quote

The barrels are probably serialized and then matched (assigned/tracked) to the firearm when they are assembled.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:26:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You got the new fleshlight too?
View Quote

So you recognize it.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:30:00 AM EDT
[#46]
My Remington 700 AAC has it on it.

Kinda cool looking, actually.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:10:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Get both... 

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:19:11 AM EDT
[#48]
lol
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:22:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Nothing the trusty Dremel couldn't fix.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:24:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Its for inventory tracking lots of products have them
View Quote

Yeah, but they are usually in the form of a sticker or part of a label. Not etched, engraved or stamped into the product itself.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top