Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2017 9:27:15 AM EDT
Heading there this morning to start my honeymoon, looking for some good ideas for restaurants tonight/tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Arnold Schwarzenegger'a restaurant is not too far from Venice, it's called Schatzi's.

ETA-sorry OP, just looked it up, the google says "permanently closed."  I haven't been there for about 12-13 years so I guess that's a possibility.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Three places that I'd go back to: Mercedes Grill, Venice Whaler (both by the beach), Wurstküche. Lots of interesting/fancy restaurants along Abbott Kinney Blvd.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Being a guy from Alabama, Venice Beach was a trip for me to see! Definitely not San Destin Fun times.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#4]
C&O Trattoria

Few miles away:  Versaille Cuban Restaurant
The garlic lemon chicken is the main attraction.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
What type of food?

Budget?

On the boardwalk:

Figtree.

The rooftop bar at Hotel Irwin for drinks.

Some of my favorites heading east from the pier along Washington Blvd.

Baja Cantina ( for drinks and free chips & salsa. Food is meh. (Walking distance from pier)

Not really walking distance:

Cafe Buna for breakfast.

In n Out

Hatchet Hall for dinner.

Sakura for sushi. A bit farther inland, on Centinela,  but really good sushi. Nice size peices of fish.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles
621 W Manchester Blvd, Inglewood, CA 90301

Go for lunch. Great waffles.

If you're too much of a pussy for Inglewood you can go to their Long Beach location.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Heading there this morning to start my honeymoon, looking for some good ideas for restaurants tonight/tomorrow.
View Quote

I first thought you were talking about Venice Beach, FL.   I will not offer my suggestions now.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Venice, Ca? or Venice, Fl? If it's California I have no idea. If it's Florida, Sharkey's is good for lunch/beach/bar type food and it's right on the beach and has a fishing pier you can fish off without a license. If you're willing to drive a short distance, Sarasota has some great seafood restaurants, like Owen's fish camp, Michael's on east, and I personally love SKOB, but it may be because it's got a great beach environment. If you're into an authentic seafood experience and want to drive a little further, go to the starfish company in Cortez (Bradenton). Again, if you're in California I am of zero help.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Three places that I'd go back to: Mercedes Grill, Venice Whaler (both by the beach), Wurstküche. Lots of interesting/fancy restaurants along Abbott Kinney Blvd.
View Quote

+1 Go here for brats and beer
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will second the Venice Whaler.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Go to Firehouse. Right by golds gym venice
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure if its still there bu I used to love "Jody Maronis Sausage Kingdom" It was right on the boardwalk pretty much right in the middle of all the bizzaro stuff the people like to go there to see.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What type of food?

Budget?

On the boardwalk:

Figtree.

The rooftop bar at Hotel Irwin for drinks.

Some of my favorites heading east from the pier along Washington Blvd.

Baja Cantina ( for drinks and free chips & salsa. Food is meh. (Walking distance from pier)

Not really walking distance:

Cafe Buna for breakfast.

In n Out

Hatchet Hall for dinner.

Sakura for sushi. A bit farther inland, on Centinela,  but really good sushi. Nice size peices of fish.
View Quote
You must be local to me.  Buna and Sakura are a couple of my regulars. 

Might as well add Paco's Tacos while you're at it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, sorry, Venice Beach, CA.  Should have clarified.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:42:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, just got done with Venice Beach.  

Absolutely fucking hated it.  Bums fucking everywhere, couple that may have been OD.

Back at Santa Monica pier which is much nicer.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:45:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Absolutely fucking hated it.  Bums fucking everywhere, couple that may have been OD.

View Quote
Try Marina del Rey
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Try Marina del Rey
View Quote

I'd concur with this; although you'll find more places in Santa Monica (to the north of Venice) the Marina (to the South of Venice) has nice places wth better atmosphere.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:56:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I know you went already but down a little bit in a nicer area (Marina Del Rey) is the Warehouse.. I haven't been in years but I had been going since I was a kid and always had a great meal there.
The Warehouse
The yelp reviews are just so so now tho..
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:07:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'd concur with this; although you'll find more places in Santa Monica (to the north of Venice) the Marina (to the South of Venice) has nice places wth better atmosphere.
View Quote
I prefer Santa Monica but parking is better in MDR and fewer crowds.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Good god don't go to Firehouse.

You have two really good strips by you for cuisine: Main Street (runs from Venice into the south end of Santa Monica) and Abbot-Kinney.

Main Street:
Hinterland - my favorite restaurant in LA, wonderful service and wine and dishes.
Library Ale House - low key, solid food and the best beer selection on the Westside
Aussie Pie Kitchen - great place for a snack or a flat white or lunch
Urth Caffe - the best coffee / tea shop around
Chaya Venice - great oysters and happy hour

Abbot-Kinney:
Gjelina (fancy, go for brunch)
The Tasting Kitchen - really high concept food, crazy ingredients
Blue Star Donuts - the best way to get diabetes
Intelligentsia - the hipsteriest coffee that ever did hipster

Around Venice / Santa Monica:
Mao's Kitchen - pretty decent Chinese place if you can get past the Commie influence. Then again that's Venice.
Herringbone - down by the Santa Monica rings, the best seafood and cocktails
Tar & Roses - in Santa Monica proper, amazing tasting plates, try the ribeye for 2
Cha Cha Chicken - an extremely legit Caribbean place also down near the rings in Santa Monica
Philz Coffee - the best coffee

PM me if you need some more pointers. My main one is: don't spend too much time on the Venice Boardwalk. Go see the canals but spend more time north of Venice in and around Santa Monica. Rent bicycles!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:12:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I love hanging out at Venice and the Santa Monica pier.  There is always something strange to see.

I usually park in the public parking garage near McDonald's just east of the pier. I think it's on Colorado.  The Promenade is right there, which has all of the typical restaurants and shopping.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:14:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Try to get into the Magic Castle while you're there 
I think if you ask HiddenLA on facebook they can help you get an invite.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:30:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I love hanging out at Venice and the Santa Monica pier.  There is always something strange to see.

I usually park in the public parking garage near McDonald's just east of the pier. I think it's on Colorado.  The Promenade is right there, which has all of the typical restaurants and shopping.

Have fun.
View Quote

There was a whole lot weird shit to see.  Same weird shit I can see at home at work without having to worry about my wife being with me, this was just about 10 times worse with the mentally ill, doped up bum part.  

Some of the bartenders I talked to back at the Santa Monica pier said Venice Beach has apparently gotten worse over the past few years.

Anyways, we still had a lot of fun, I just don't like not being armed in places like that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:44:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I lived, rather briefly, on 3rd and Marine, a stone's throw from Venice. Had a favorite bar, the Oarhouse. No clue if it's still there. Had my first and only Indian, a 1948 Chief. Met my first tranny. Of those three, guess which was the only one I have any fond memories of? Not the bike. Not the bozo. The beer.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I lived, rather briefly, on 3rd and Marine, a stone's throw from Venice. Had a favorite bar, the Oarhouse. No clue if it's still there. Had my first and only Indian, a 1948 Chief. Met my first tranny. Of those three, guess which was the only one I have any fond memories of? Not the bike. Not the bozo. The beer.
View Quote

The Oarhouse is long gone.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You must be local to me.  Buna and Sakura are a couple of my regulars. 

Might as well add Paco's Tacos while you're at it.
View Quote

I'm in Playa.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm in Playa.
View Quote
Playa del Rey is a nice 'hideaway' spot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Almost forgot Father's Office for the burger if you are in the Santa Monica area off of Main St.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Kifune's still there?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Should've gone to Venice, FL. There's a nice place to dive by the beach there.

Or Italy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Should've gone to Venice, FL. There's a nice place to dive by the beach there.

Or Italy.
View Quote

We're not staying here, just for one night.  Our hotel was actually next to the Santa Monica pier, so weren't too close to any weirdness.

Getting on a boat to Hawaii this afternoon.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Almost forgot Father's Office for the burger if you are in the Santa Monica area off of Main St.
View Quote
Stay safe on patrol, just saw the Whittier PD news and I might be visiting Topanga and PCH next month, so cut Florida tags some slack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top