Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2017 6:04:54 AM EDT
Bought a LG G3 little over 2 years ago. 2 months after warranty expires, damn phone craps out. And no, I didn't purchase the $8/month insurance with like a $200 deductible.

Since the G3 is under the Next Plan, I was still having to make monthly payments on a non-functional phone.

I ended up buying an unlocked Motorola Pure X Edition (unlocked) from Best Buy for $250. Best phone I've had so far. Still running like a champ.

So, Thanksgiving 2015, wife takes advantage of the LG V10 promo. Extra battery, cradle, and 256 GB micro-SD card for free.

3 months out of warranty, and now the LG V10 is stuck in a bootloop.

Google shows it attributed to a hardware failure on the motherboard. Something about heat from the phone messing with two solder points on the motherboard.

This phone does have the insurance, with a $225 deductible.   Supposedly, there's a declining deductible and should only be $112.

I'm half tempted to pay off the Next plan on the V10 ($350) and get an unlocked Motorola G4 Play for $100 and go with Cricket. Depending on how I get treated at the AT&T store, on my lunch break, this might just happen.

Already took one of my two phones over to Cricket last week too.

Fuck LG!

Update: After waiting around for 30 minutes, the insurance folks wanted use to fork over $112 for a LG V20.  Wife didn't want the upgraded phone, since it's another LG.
             Went with an unlocked Motorola G4 Plus for $249 Amazon Prime plus a Cricket $3 SIM card. Bye bye AT&T!

Update 2: Went ahead and started the claim, since I was "promised" a LG V20 (newer model). For $112, figured I could flip it and pay off the remainder of the Next plan, and have a little extra left over.
               My claim has now been approved. Just waiting on tracking number once the LG V20 ships.

Update 3: Got emailed a tracking number and it's on the way!

Update 4: Got the LG V20, and sold it at work for $500.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#1]
old man yells at clouds.jpg
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:17:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Bought a LG G3 little over 2 years ago. 2 months after warranty expires, damn phone craps out. And no, I didn't purchase the $8/month insurance with like a $200 deductible.

Since the G3 is under the Next Plan, I was still having to make monthly payments on a non-functional phone.

I ended up buying an unlocked Motorola Pure X Edition (unlocked) from Best Buy for $250. Best phone I've had so far. Still running like a champ.

So, Thanksgiving 2015, wife takes advantage of the LG V10 promo. Extra battery, cradle, and 256 GB micro-SD card for free.

3 months out of warranty, and now the LG V10 is stuck in a bootloop.

Google shows it attributed to a hardware failure on the motherboard. Something about heat from the phone messing with two solder points on the motherboard.

This phone does have the insurance, with a $225 deductible.   Supposedly, there's a declining deductible and should only be $112.

I'm half tempted to pay off the Next plan on the V10 ($350) and get an unlocked Motorola G4 Play for $100 and go with Cricket. Depending on how I get treated at the AT&T store, on my lunch break, this might just happen.

Already took one of my two phones over to Cricket last week too.

Fuck LG!
View Quote

Next time, go to www.swappa.com save $$$
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Next time, go to www.swappa.com save $
View Quote

This.

And fuck LG and thier shitty bootlooping phones. Thier screens get dead zones too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Verizon replaced my LG G4 free of charge for the same reason.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#5]
The same thing has happened to my LG V10.

Self-bricked without any action on my part.  **** me off to the Nth degree. I endured a week of downtime until I got a new phone. Lost data, irrepleaceable maybe.

supposedly they will fix it for free. Go here. I tried freezing it, which made it go past the boot phase - for 30 seconds and then shut down again. Long enough for me to take a pic of what apps I had installed. no time to back anything up.

What a mess to the Nth degree. It's a massively widespread issue. It works for 6-12 months and the bricks itself out of the blue.

I was waiting to hear about V20, apparently it's mostly the same phone just a few tweaks. Stay away from it also.

https://lgmobilerepair.com/request_repair

I moved to Galaxy Note 4, an older phone but it has the most important thing, removable 10,000 ZeroLemon battery.

G3/G4 are also affected. Get something by Samsung.

BTW, the current Verizon choice really sucks in the store.   They have latest-greatest and most expensive but you can Bring Your own device. No need for a $800 phone.  

Samsung S5, Note 4, whatever.   NIB for $200.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The same thing has happened to my LG V10.

Self-bricked without any action on my part.  **** me off to the Nth degree. I endured a week of downtime until I got a new phone. Lost data, irrepleaceable maybe.

supposedly they will fix it for free. Go here. I tried freezing it, which made it go past the boot phase - for 30 seconds and then shut down again. Long enough for me to take a pic of what apps I had installed. no time to back anything up.

What a mess to the Nth degree. It's a massively widespread issue. It works for 6-12 months and the bricks itself out of the blue.

I was waiting to hear about V20, apparently it's mostly the same phone just a few tweaks. Stay away from it also.

https://lgmobilerepair.com/request_repair

I moved to Galaxy Note 4, an older phone but it has the most important thing, removable 10,000 ZeroLemon battery.

G3/G4 are also affected. Get something by Samsung.

BTW, the current Verizon choice really sucks in the store.   They have latest-greatest and most expensive but you can Bring Your own device. No need for a $800 phone.  

Samsung S5, Note 4, whatever.   NIB for $200.
View Quote

Is yours with Verizon or AT&T?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Bought a refurb g3 on Amazon over a year ago for 150$....still going strong
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Hello Moto
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.

And fuck LG and thier shitty bootlooping phones. Thier screens get dead zones too.
View Quote

THIS, and EVERYTHING else they make. Everything I ever bought that was made by Lg has been garbage, never again.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Back up your shit, because it will die. My son went through two G4's, each one just out of warranty. Both did the retarded boot-loop. They are nice phones when they work, but when you're playing with ALL of your data and the inconvenience of having to get a new phone? Fuck that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Lg warranty is 1 year and they make a shit product for longevity lately. They know it that's why they address it on their website under tech support, but I have seen them fix out of warranty for this issue but you have to keep going up their ladder. Att has nothing to do with lg support which sucks, but if they could give you a warranty phone they would. But that's an lg issue.

Swappa.

Get yourself a s7 on the cheap and be happy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Both mine and wife's bricked. They were replaced.

We were told it was a known issue with Verizon updates.

Other than that I LOVE mine. I like having a card, it's big, and it's fast. I rarely turn on a computer because of it.

Some of the features that should be there aren't but again that's because of what Verizon does.

I probably won't get another though. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#13]
You get what you pay for.  Pay shitty-high price for shitty-cheap phone, get shitty phone.  No surprise there.

Spend the extra and get a Motorola.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You get what you pay for.  Pay shitty-high price for shitty-cheap phone, get shitty phone.  No surprise there.

View Quote
This. I have a 1st gen Moto Turbo, wife has the second gen. They are awesome. If I could swing it right now, I'd go get a Z Force Droid. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought an LG Ally in 2010. Within the first week it started to run like crap. It was the last LG phone I ever bought. I've owned a lot of Samsung phones and a few Motorolla phones. I like Samsung phones the best.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Had my G3 since Aug. 2014, no problems so far.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they happen to fix it for no charge, I'll probably stick with another V10 and work on paying off the Next plan in a timely fashion.

If they charge us the $112 deductible, I'm 50/50 on getting the Moto G4 Play for $100. 

If they charge us the full $225 deductible, I'm definitely getting the Moto G4 Play for $100.

The wife isn't giddy about the 8mp camera on it. I had to remind her about the Nokia 1020 she wanted, since it had such an awesome camera.

I told her it's a Windows phone, and will have limited amount of apps in their store. She tried to convince herself that the camera would make up for the lack of apps. Didn't make it 2 months before she started bitching about the lack of apps. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#18]
My son and I both got LG phones a couple years ago.  Both phones crapped out.  His was out of warranty and mine was in warranty, but LG refused to fix the warranty issue unless I let them charge me $150 to fix a tiny crack in the screen protector.  I told them to go fuck themselves and got a Samsung.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#19]
buy a quality unlocked Cell phone , or whatever you want , I grabbed a cheap Moto G for 120$ and love it. Go to walmart and get a straight Talk sim kit for 4GLTE , you can port your current number .   At set up , you pick who you will use more or less, att or Tmobile networks , i pay 45$ a month unlimited minutes/txt/5 gig and i go over 5 gig often , they throttle but i still get awesome 5mb a sec  , 0 hassle with billing issues , great coverage. no issues in 4 years now. phone hot spot works great , no extra free. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#20]
The battery just died on my G3 after less than a year, waiting on a new one now.  Might sort of be my fault though, I tried one of those portable chargers just before it died.  But I looked up the Amazon reviews yesterday and the average has dropped like 1.5 stars since I bought it, bunches of them shitting the bed recently, so that's comforting.  30% 1 star ratings as of now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This. I have a 1st gen Moto Turbo, wife has the second gen. They are awesome. If I could swing it right now, I'd go get a Z Force Droid. 
View Quote

I have a Motorola Nexus 6 and it is awesome.  So much less bloatware, gets the Android updates first, and powerful with 6" screen.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Had a LG G3- loved it right up until it would randomly reboot. Decided against my better judgment to get a V10 on Next. Thankfully we had AT&T's warranty department number when the V10 started doing the powerloop thing. Even better, it was still under warranty. When I finish paying it off, it's back to Samsung for me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Update:

After waiting around for 30 minutes, the insurance folks wanted use to fork over $112 for a LG V20.  Wife didn't want the upgraded phone, since it's another LG.
Went with an unlocked Motorola G4 Plus for $249 Amazon Prime plus a Cricket $3 SIM card. Bye bye AT&T!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I would've taken a $120 v20 and went to cricket after that. That phone would sell nice to cover the cost of the insurance deductible and buy you a phone you wanted

Edit. That's just me because I'm in the field. You did the right move and I'm curious how cricket coverage is. Sounds like a good deal
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would've taken a $120 v20 and went to cricket after that. That phone would sell nice to cover the cost of the insurance deductible and buy you a phone you wanted

Edit. That's just me because I'm in the field. You did the right move and I'm curious how cricket coverage is. Sounds like a good deal
View Quote

I'm pretty sure they would have increased our Next plan by another 30 months to cover the V20.

On my personal phone, Cricket coverage has been the same as my old AT&T plan.

Getting 4LTE and placed the Moto G4 Plus order while having lunch at KFC. I highly recommend the Georgia Gold chicken tenders! 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Is yours with Verizon or AT&T?
View Quote

Originally, a tmobile.phone..got it LNIB and moved to ATT.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats the thing, V10 was an expensive phone.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#28]
My LG V10 is out of warranty and went into bootloop. Is there any chance of LG fixing this well known issue for free? If I have to pay one cent, I will toss it in the garbage.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Had 2 G3's for 2 years and the only problem was with the camera on my phone. Both have the G5 now and I like it. Every cell phone we've ever owned has had some sort of bug. My wife's old Iphone kept saying no sim card. I wish HTC would make a comeback because I loved the interface on my HTC One
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Had a LG G3- loved it right up until it would randomly reboot. Decided against my better judgment to get a V10 on Next. Thankfully we had AT&T's warranty department number when the V10 started doing the powerloop thing. Even better, it was still under warranty. When I finish paying it off, it's back to Samsung for me.
View Quote

Mine did the random rebooting when I had to replace the battery. After that it stopped. Weird also how my camera starting working again on my G3 after I purchased the G5.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Expensive doesn't mean it isn't shitty.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#32]
LG is pretty infamous now for their bootloop problems.

ive been following phones for the past year, will never buy an LG

i too purchase the moto x pure 64 gb when it was $244 cyber monday. love the phone

suggestions for cheap plans - check out Mint Sim (it uses the Tmobile network)
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Expensive doesn't mean it isn't shitty.
View Quote

Yeah my point precisely.

I had several older LG optimus G pro, they were nice phones. Biggest issue was USB port wearing out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Interesting, my LG G2 seems to have no issue at all, but on the other hand, my wife's G4 is having issues left and right.  She is on her 3rd phone now, all covered under Verizon warranty.
Two months ago, I change my G2 to Kyocera DuraForcePro, so far, I am happy with the phone.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#35]
iphone is the only way to go.  Samsung, LG, all the others...are junk.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I've got an LG X-Power that runs great.

That being said - my Mother got the same phone and hers was an LG No-Power...  Motherfucker wouldn't charge past 70% and went down like a boat with a hole in it.

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
LG is pretty infamous now for their bootloop problems.

ive been following phones for the past year, will never buy an LG

i too purchase the moto x pure 64 gb when it was $244 cyber monday. love the phone

suggestions for cheap plans - check out Mint Sim (it uses the Tmobile network)
View Quote

Tmobile has lousy coverage in my area.  

If Tmobile and Sprint had better coverage, I would have gone over to Republic Wireless.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

My POS HTC died yet again (1st one was replacement under warranty) and I have 4 months left

got a prepaid phone for 30 bucks from walmart and swap sims and SD cards

best decision ever- I will never buy a "new"contract phone.

I have all my stuff on the new phone under 10 minutes
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#40]
DO NOT buy a LG G4. They have an acknowledged hardware defect that will bootloop the phone.

I had to take mine apart, remove the motherboard and bake it in an oven, in order to temp fix it and get my data off of it.

I have an RMA number for the phone, but I think I'm hosed. Being a FL guy, all the "water damage" indicators trigger simply due to humidity down here. Like they have done for every phone I've ever owned here. So I'm betting they deny it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Tmobile has lousy coverage in my area.  

If Tmobile and Sprint had better coverage, I would have gone over to Republic Wireless.
View Quote

Came here to warn you not to go to T-Mobile or Sprint, but it looks like you're staying away from them. I resisted AT&T for a while, but I have been very happy with them for the past few years. I pay cash for unlocked phones and have a family plan that costs $15/line ($20 total after taxes and all) to add to the plan. Total bill for 3 lines and an iPad is $170.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My LG V10 is out of warranty and went into bootloop. Is there any chance of LG fixing this well known issue for free? If I have to pay one cent, I will toss it in the garbage.
View Quote

Doubt it. Wanted me to pay $112 for a LG V20. Would have been $225 if he had filed an insurance claim 12 months prior.

And I just did the live chat on AT&T. Looks like they wouldn't extend my Next plan if I did get the LG V20. 

I am now considering spending the $112, to get the LG V20, and sell it for profit.

There's always the chance the person just told me about "upgrading" to the LG V20 just to get my hopes up, and send me a replacement LG V10 instead.

ETA: Looking at swappa.com, looks like a mint LG V10 goes for $200-$250 range, and a mint LG V20 goes for $475-$525 range.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#43]
And even these V10/V20 prices are inflated given what they are. V20 is not a different device, it's basically V10 with just a few minor features aded.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Came here to warn you not to go to T-Mobile or Sprint, but it looks like you're staying away from them. I resisted AT&T for a while, but I have been very happy with them for the past few years. I pay cash for unlocked phones and have a family plan that costs $15/line ($20 total after taxes and all) to add to the plan. Total bill for 3 lines and an iPad is $170.
View Quote

I've had terrible luck with AT&T coverage. Major holes in coverage. And that's in a huge metro area like Northern Virginia.  Verizon has so much better coverage here.

At work, Verizon is the only thing that can punch into the buildings.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#45]
The sad thing is, LG V10/V20 are one of the few 5.7" phones / phablets that have replaceable batteries.  There isn't much on the market. another solid choice is Galaxy Note 4. It can take a 10,000 mAh ZeroLemon battery.  That's what I upgraded to, or rather, downgraded to.

LG Optimus G Pro was a nice phone, seems to have disappeared completely. You can pick it up mint for $100 even NIB and it's full HD, 5.5" screen, with all of the basic features present on expensive devices.

When you go to a Verizon or ATT store, their phone selection is awful.  Nothing with removable battery and nothing under $700 it seems.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:02:03 AM EDT
[#46]
I feel your pain OP, while my G3 was flawless, when I "upgraded" to a LG G5... terribad.

Verizon exchanged me 3 phones, none of them functioned correctly. Some wouldn't connect to my WiFi reliably, One would do WiFi but not my in Truck Bluetooth, none picked up Verizons signal as well as the G3 (where I'd have 4-5 bars, I'd now have 2 or so).

Turns out they were stringing me along to get me beyond the device return period.

So, I had to pay full price for a non-functioning P.O.S. that didn't work 3x, just get another device.

Moral of the Story?

Phone Companies are Evil, and never buy a mobile device that isn't made by Samsung, Apple, or Google Branded.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#47]
i went thought 3 G4s. first one went to a boot loop, second went swimming in my pocket at the pool , 3rd boot loop.  first and 3rd were replaced under factory warranty no problems.  I actually bought out the 3rd phone and got a G5 send the G4 back to LG got it replaced for free gave it to the wife.  my Mom sister and step son all have G4s all are on there 2nd phones

love the phones crappy hardware heres hoping the G5 holds out
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#48]
We dropped AT&T when Tiger got some strange pussy. 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:12:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.  They fixed my boot loop V10 last week for free out of warranty.  Took exactly 7 days and they paid shipping both ways.  I had to provide the box so I used one from an Amazon Prime delivery.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:27:37 AM EDT
[#50]
FYI.  Cricket is owned by AT&T

I have used AT&T forever.   No issues to speak of.   But I do not like the "next" plan.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top