Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:24:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Pit bulls are the Muslims of the Dog world
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is the underlying problem.

They can be sweet dogs, but if they snap, they can be near unstoppable. And no one knows when/if/what will make them snap
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#3]
So black cats are mindless killers?

This is a picture of my new black cat:

He's super chill. I don't know why the stigma exists that black cats are mean.

I mean, it is just me and my girlfriend. We've already learned to not look him in the eye, keep a 19 foot perimeter, install storm doors on your bedroom, and give him sedatives every four hours. It's a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:32:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's stupidest thing I've read all day.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Wow, I see it but dont believe my eyes
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:40:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sweetest most lovable dog I ever met was a friend's pit bull.  At 3 years old he killed the family cat, in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner. Had never killed before, or since.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can be sweet dogs, but if they snap, they can be near unstoppable. And no one knows when/if/what will make them snap

Sweetest most lovable dog I ever met was a friend's pit bull.  At 3 years old he killed the family cat, in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner. Had never killed before, or since.

Cats are useless. This seems like an endorsement of pitbulls...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:40:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Very few Muslims kill or maim innocent people.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So black cats are mindless killers?

This is a picture of my new black cat:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1_SPCdpL2UlHbAqP67StH6jVVeyjK4k84jJfDMNB1FdkLKKmGGA

He's super chill. I don't know why the stigma exists that black cats are mean.

I mean, it is just me and my girlfriend. We've already learned to not look him in the eye, keep a 19 foot perimeter, install storm doors on your bedroom, and give him sedatives every four hours. It's a piece of cake.
View Quote

I had a black cat named Jack-Jack.

Jack-Jack thought it was his place in life to cuddle up to you all sweet-like, then dig all five pointy ends into your head while you were sleeping.

Jack-Jack is no longer among us.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:41:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:47:43 AM EDT
[#10]
In before your dog chews up a family member and then you start talking about how you never saw this coming.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:50:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Succinctly brilliant. Sig line worthy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#12]
http://www.animals24-7.org/2016/01/04/record-33-fatal-pit-bull-attacks-459-disfigurements-in-2015/

sniped from the link above:

"Record 34 fatal pit bull attacks & 459 disfigurements in 2015

Dogs kill & disfigure more people in U.S. & Canada than Jihadis & far-right “wing nuts” combined"
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://www.animals24-7.org/2016/01/04/record-33-fatal-pit-bull-attacks-459-disfigurements-in-2015/

Dogs kill & disfigure more people in U.S. & Canada than Jihadis & far-right “wing nuts” combined"
View Quote

Facts are breedist... that's breedist!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:00:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In before your dog chews up a family member and then you start talking about how you never saw this coming.
View Quote
You want a pit bull for a pet, you say? May as well have a chimpanzee, either one of them will be happy to chew off your friend's face. I grew up with Dobermans and German Shepherds, my uncle had to kill a male Doberman who tried to get into my cousin's crib when he was a newborn. Pits are far more dangerous. I know, anecdotal cool story bro. You better sleep with one eye open.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:12:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry, but his "data" is notoriously unreliable. He garners his numbers from media stories and includes mutts to pad his "statistics". Nevermind that he is known to have an agenda.

That's like MDA and the Brady Campaign saying "gun violence deaths" and including suicides and cops killing people while sourcing the info strictly from the news. Suddenly, any firearm involved is an AR because it was black and sort of vaguely resembled one, and any death where a firearm was even remotely involved is gun violence. You can certainly call them "facts", but exactly what is being stated in your "fact?"
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Watching my neighbors dogs while she is in Denver.

The sweetest most submissive dog I've ever seen. Gretchin is a absolute sweetie and if she has a single fault its she doesn't know her own strength sometimes.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16831158_1301956919882786_3949965333711013758_n.jpg?oh=16d4bd2e3b894edccfa7cb6343bab0c8&oe=59481DDD
View Quote

6 weeks after adoption, on my lap now.The black one is the dominant one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:41:28 AM EDT
[#17]
My grandpa drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney for most of his life and lived to be 90.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:43:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
14 years and counting with mine. 25 years or so being around the breed on a near daily basis. Zero incidents. But I am sure you have much more experience that invalidates mine. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:48:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bees kill more people per year than dogs. 

Average Number of Deaths per Year in the U.S
Bee/Wasp   53
Dogs   31
Spider   6.5
Rattlesnake   5.5
Mountain lion   1
Shark   1
Alligator   0.3
Bear   0.5
Scorpion   0.5
Centipede   0.5
Elephant   0.25
Wolf   0.1
Horse   20
Bull   3
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:53:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Not mindless killers, but as stated above, if they get going, they tend not to stop.

-14 years on patrol and every aggressive dog call starred pits....including the call where I got to hold a two year old boy as he died in my arms after being mauled by three of them.

I'm not for banning these dogs...I just can't trust them after dealing with them on the job.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:58:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Put it in a sweater.

Post from hospital.

Or morgue.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:00:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Reading through the fb comments yesterday on this topic (not unlike this thread really, just with worse spelling) some guy called them American Thug Terriers. I LOL'ed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:03:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Oh yes, of course OP. Because animals--especially those that have been specifically bred for certain behaviors--are completely and irrevocably predictable.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:06:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Since we're doing this again, it's a shit breed typically owned by trash.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:14:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bee/Wasp   53
Dogs   31
View Quote
Ah yes, all those domesticated bees and wasps. 

Between being mauled to death by a dog, and having a reaction to a bee, I'll take the fucking bee.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:20:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Statistically they are pretty much the most dangerous breed of dog to humans. I'm sure there are many factors that play into that, like a ton of retarded owners, but the fact still stands.

That being said I've known a few pit bulls over the years that were great dogs, but I would still not let them be around my children unsupervised. For that matter, I would allow that with very few dogs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:22:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Bee/Wasp   53
Dogs   31
Spider   6.5
Rattlesnake   5.5
Mountain lion   1
Shark   1
Alligator   0.3
Bear   0.5
Scorpion   0.5
Centipede   0.5
Elephant   0.25
Wolf   0.1
Horse   20
Bull   3
View Quote

You mean I shouldn't keep a swarm of bees as a family pet?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:23:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
14 years and counting with mine. 25 years or so being around the breed on a near daily basis. Zero incidents. But I am sure you have much more experience that invalidates mine. 
View Quote

I definitely have less experience and any anecdotes I offer won't matter but I have personally have tried to stab a pitbull through a gap between a door and door frame.  the pitbull was attacking a mother and her 13 year old son and it ran over toward me as I walked out side to look at the mailbox to get an address for 911.  after I got the house number I ran back inside and slammed the front door on the dogs head and swiped at it with a pairing knife.

I was 13 at the time and I was over someone's house for the first time.  we were just starting to become friends...both the son and mom lived without losing any parts or being disfigured except for a forearm and calf.  

if I had found like an 8" chef knife I would have gone out there but all I could find was a pairing knife. I felt guilty that I didn't do more (other than be the only one available to call 911) until the cops showed up and refused to get out of their cars...they just sat there and watched the attack (which at that point was intermittent).

so I don't know much about pitbulls but I know about my personal experience and much more importantly I know about the publically available attack data.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:31:23 AM EDT
[#30]
I imagine they were called "nanny dogs" back in the day for absolutely no reason whatsoever...

Got one at my feet right now thats been in my family going on 14 years. She loves her kids. Unquestionably loyal to me, extremely well mannered.

She's also very well protected. I'd glady destroy anything trying to harm her, and if I couldn't get it done, my kids, brother and father would. This dog has earned our loyalty.

My brother has a rescue pit, biggest sweetheart. Her only fault is not realizing how heavy she is...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:32:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Bee/Wasp   53
Dogs   31
Spider   6.5
Rattlesnake   5.5
Mountain lion   1
Shark   1
Alligator   0.3
Bear   0.5
Scorpion   0.5
Centipede   0.5
Elephant   0.25
Wolf   0.1
Horse   20
Bull   3
View Quote

am I the only one that notices that your numbers don't make any sense.  if they were based on an average over a certain duration of years sure but that is not how you offered them.

how does a wolf kill a tenth of a person? or an alligator three tenths of a person? was the person a midget? and if so should their small stature be used to think of them as less than a person?  

so excuse me if I find your numbers dubious but more importantly the number of people killed by bees is irrelevant.  there are a shit ton more bees than pitbulls and some people are allergic.  They have a unique weakness to bees.  

900-1000 people a year die while masturbating?  does that mean I am more likely to die while masturbating than be killed by a pitbull or some bees? No, because I'm not into autoerotic asphyxiation, therefore the odds of me dying from it are 0...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:36:03 AM EDT
[#32]
my brother got a staffy a couple of years ago, and other than being stubborn, she's been pretty much the perfect dog.  brother was then leaned on to take a neglected staffy/lab mix.  the new dog (pippa) is sweet and extremely submissive, but her play fighting with kali (original dog) is almost spooky.  she's very controlled about it, but it's a constant cycle of bite the leg, then go for the throat, then switch back to an exposed leg, and so forth.  it continues until kali (who has a good 15# on pippa) gets annoyed and pins the smaller dog with her neck.

just weird to see these bred behaviors coming out.  i love kali like my own, and pippa is a good little pup, but it's not hard to entertain the possibility of them just snapping.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:36:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I imagine they were called "nanny dogs" back in the day for absolutely no reason whatsoever...

Got one at my feet right now thats been in my family going on 14 years. She loves her kids. Unquestionably loyal to me, extremely well mannered.

She's also very well protected. I'd glady destroy anything trying to harm her, and if I couldn't get it done, my kids, brother and father would. This dog has earned our loyalty.

My brother has a rescue pit, biggest sweetheart. Her only fault is not realizing how heavy she is...
View Quote

over a century and a half ago. whatever gentle traits they had, have been largely selectively bred out of the line, preferring instead a tough demeanor and willingness to fight. I mean what do you think the "pit" is referring to in "pit bull"? they were bred for fighting for a very long time, and that not only affects the outcome of their appearance but their psychological profile and behavioral traits.

Not aiming this at you personally, but I do not understand people who act like this was not a desired outcome of selective breeding of this particular type of dog. It's like many pit bull owners lose their minds when it comes to this breed, and cannot reconcile with the fact that historically, the breed had a very specific purpose.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:36:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I remember back in the 90's when the Rotte was the scary dog of the moment. I've met more nice Rotte's then bad ones.

Its all about how you raise them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whelp.  It is settled. Thanks OP.
I remember back in the 90's when the Rotte was the scary dog of the moment. I've met more nice Rotte's then bad ones.

Its all about how you raise them.

The only dog that has attacked me has bee a GSD.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:59:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

over a century and a half ago. whatever gentle traits they had, have been largely selectively bred out of the line, preferring instead a tough demeanor and willingness to fight. I mean what do you think the "pit" is referring to in "pit bull"? they were bred for fighting for a very long time, and that not only affects the outcome of their appearance but their psychological profile and behavioral traits.

Not aiming this at you personally, but I do not understand people who act like this was not a desired outcome of selective breeding of this particular type of dog. It's like many pit bull owners lose their minds when it comes to this breed, and cannot reconcile with the fact that historically, the breed had a very specific purpose.
View Quote

Yes and as a result they would destroy any dogs that showed aggression toward their handlers. 
My APBT has super high animal aggression which is a result of their breeding. She also has zero human aggression. Which is a result of the same breeding. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#36]
My brothers friend had one that chewed up his young daughters face when she went out to feed it He was a POS and defended the dog and the kid wound up living with grandma I think.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:07:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

am I the only one that notices that your numbers don't make any sense.  if they were based on an average over a certain duration of years sure but that is not how you offered them.

how does a wolf kill a tenth of a person? or an alligator three tenths of a person? was the person a midget? and if so should their small stature be used to think of them as less than a person?  

so excuse me if I find your numbers dubious but more importantly the number of people killed by bees is irrelevant.  there are a shit ton more bees than pitbulls and some people are allergic.  They have a unique weakness to bees.  

900-1000 people a year die while masturbating?  does that mean I am more likely to die while masturbating than be killed by a pitbull or some bees? No, because I'm not into autoerotic asphyxiation, therefore the odds of me dying from it are 0...
View Quote

You're missing the point.  His numbers prove that a rattlesnake or mountain lion make great pets and are far safer than dogs or bees.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:32:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Every pit bull I've ever met has been incredibly sweet and playful.  When I get to a point in life where I can care for a pet, I'm going to adopt one.  

Or a husky.  Maybe both.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Every pit bull I've ever met has been incredibly sweet and playful.  When I get to a point in life where I can care for a pet, I'm going to adopt one.  

Or a husky.  Maybe both.
View Quote

pitty or husky: stubborn or stubborn.

have fun!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:58:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yay, another one of these threads.
View Quote

this one has swayed me though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Oh yes, of course OP. Because animals--especially those that have been specifically bred for certain behaviors--are completely and irrevocably predictable.
View Quote
Back to what I said about rottweilers,  dobermans etc.

It's all about how you raise the dog.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#42]
A grenade is pretty harmless until you pull the pin, just saying.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, "when they snap". I have yet to see a Pit "snap". I've always had Pits, family, friends, etc., decades later, multiple responsible dog owners, and not an issue. Must be luck
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
<strong>Quoted:</strong>

I have some experience around actual Pit Bulls and yes, I partially agree with you.  I knew some that were raised by nice people that were nice doggies.

My old neighbors raised them to fight and well, you couldn't trust those dogs even tied up.  The Pits were more aggressive than the Rottweilers that's for sure.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Fuck troll bait threads like this one.

Graphic content below.
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Watching my neighbors dogs while she is in Denver.

The sweetest most submissive dog I've ever seen. Gretchin is a absolute sweetie and if she has a single fault its she doesn't know her own strength sometimes.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16831158_1301956919882786_3949965333711013758_n.jpg?oh=16d4bd2e3b894edccfa7cb6343bab0c8&oe=59481DDD
View Quote

That's what the owner of a pit bull said Sunday after I and about 100 other people witnessed his dog lunging at a 4 year old boy, unprovoked, and bit him in the ribs while at a state park.  The boy was sitting on a sand bar running his hands through the rocks.  

Doggy didn't do his breed any PR favors there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got 4 scar marks on my right wrist from my father's "pet" that tell me they're not to be trusted.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not mindless killers, but as stated above, if they get going, they tend not to stop.

-14 years on patrol and every aggressive dog call starred pits....including the call where I got to hold a two year old boy as he died in my arms after being mauled by three of them.

I'm not for banning these dogs...I just can't trust them after dealing with them on the job.
View Quote

Pretty hard to ignore these kinds of testimonials...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's hard to ignore those testimonials, but easy to ignore the testimonials of the 99.999951% who aren't attacking anyone? I mean, if that's your bias, cool, but own it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Years ago my girlfriend, at the time, lived with me and she had a pitbull.  He was the sweetest dog in the world but his main problem was that he was too much of a "people" dog.  He had to touch you all the time.  He'd lay on us or just lean against your leg if you were sitting in a chair.  I don't know if he liked us or was protecting us but he was a good dog.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top