Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/20/2017 8:41:36 PM EDT
I've always been a full size pistol guy.

Prior to my G43, the only small pistol I owned was my SW 642.

My thoughts were always:

Grip. I'm not a big guy, but I hate not being able to get a full grip. Solved with Taran +2 extensions.

Capacity. G17 holds 17+1. G43 6+1. Can't do it. Oh wait,  9? Okay...

I have the TLR6 on it too. Even with the Streamlight and the extension, it's so light it truly isn't noticed. I still get my full grip though.

I think this gun will get some carry time.

I'm shocked.

Normally 1911/G17 guy. Still don't like my G19.

I always viewed these small autoloaders as gimmicks. I still think this gun would suck stock, but with those two additions it's a nice package.

Got a Rigid Edge and a DeSantis ankle holster for it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Your "stream of consciousness" posting style is dildos.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The G43, a fucking disaster of capacity to size ratio which brings into question what intern designed it, considering they had the opportunity to blueprint an entirely new magazine.  

"Buh buh mah baseplates"

Gun of metrosexual Rambo, takes a hit in capacity without equivalent bonuses, but Rambo rationalizes it's okay because it's a Tactical Glack #1. Turns being armed into a fashion statement over functionality.

Let me shit away valuable barrel length that takes nothing it conceal, and add back to grip length due to shit design.

Fucking failboat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
It is a bit hard to follow, but I like my G43 as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The G43, a fucking disaster of capacity to size ratio which brings into question what intern designed it, considering they had the opportunity to blueprint an entirely new magazine.  

"Buh buh mah baseplates"

Gun of metrosexual Rambo, takes a hit in capacity without equivalent bonuses, but Rambo rationalizes it's okay because it's a Tactical Glack #1. Turns being armed into a fashion statement over functionality.

Let me shit away valuable barrel length that takes nothing it conceal, and add back to grip length due to shit design.

Fucking failboat.
View Quote

It's trying out for my 642s spot.

9 beats 5, and the light is nice.

I'm still going to carry a 1911 or G17 for the most part.

I'm just surprised it's better than I thought it would be.

If I'm going with a small pistol,  this may overtake the snub. Maybe.

I'm shocked I like it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Kahr PM9 > 43
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If you can carry the g43, try a g26. It's been my edc for a while with a tlr6.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought OP was Cormac McCarthy for a moment.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've always been a full size pistol guy.

Prior to my G43, the only small pistol I owned was my SW 642.

My thoughts were always:

Grip. I'm not a big guy, but I hate not being able to get a full grip. Solved with Taran +2 extensions.

Capacity. G17 holds 17+1. G43 6+1. Can't do it. Oh wait,  9? Okay...

I have the TLR6 on it too. Even with the Streamlight and the extension, it's so light it truly isn't noticed. I still get my full grip though.

I think this gun will get some carry time.

I'm shocked.

Normally 1911/G17 guy. Still don't like my G19.

I always viewed these small autoloaders as gimmicks. I still think this gun would suck stock, but with those two additions it's a nice package.

Got a Rigid Edge and a DeSantis ankle holster for it.
View Quote
Is that you, Cormac McCarthy?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
valuable barrel length
View Quote

How is it valuable? HSTs expand just fine out of those barrels.

Sight radius I could maybe see.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#11]
"But mah baseplates"

Sig line material.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Kahr PM9 > 43
View Quote

Maybe I'll get one down the road.

I don't get a ton of use out of small pistols, but they certainly have a role. I was kind of skeptical about the autoloaders in general.

I use them for my dog needing to go out in the middle of the night (no fenced yard), quick trips to get food or go to 7-11, and carrying when I'm not supposed to be carrying. Meaning socially/corporately inappropriate.

I still think this gun would suck stock, but with the two changes I made, I like it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I'm using, currently. HST micros.

I sighted the laser at 7yds. Should be fine.

Never owned a gun with a laser before, but since battery life is the same with light and with light+laser, I figured what the heck.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#14]
G43 is a poor copy of the PPS.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
G43 is a poor copy of the PPS.
View Quote

I'm familiar with Glocks, so I thought if I wanted to try out something I don't normally like the G43 would be a good place to start.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I feel dumber for reading the OP. G26 is best subcompact.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You notice how pretty much every pistol manufacturer has jumped into the single stack 9mm segment in the last few years, but nobody is copying the G26? That's a clue...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eh, it's my first one.

Sure, you gain 2 rounds, but the single stack is very easy to conceal.

Honest question, is your G26 your normal carry gun?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

"Buh buh mah baseplates"

Fucking failboat.
View Quote

Did you have a stroke?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Kahr PM9 > 43
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"Buh buh mah baseplates"

Fucking failboat.
View Quote

And what would you recommend I pocket carry instead?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Eh, it's my first one.

Sure, you gain 2 rounds, but the single stack is very easy to conceal.

Honest question, is your G26 your normal carry gun?
View Quote

It is now that I have a good holster for it. If I'm wearing a polo or rarely a jacket, I'll carry the G19.
It also depends on where I'm going that day too. The G26 is very easy to conceal for me, and more comfortable at work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You notice how pretty much every pistol manufacturer has jumped into the single stack 9mm segment in the last few years, but nobody is copying the G26? That's a clue...
View Quote

HK p30 sk

Sig p320 sub compact

Sig p224

M&P 9 sub compact

Ect
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Smith and Wesson shield is the best subcompact for easy concealment, but still has a higher capacity than your average 1911. 8+1 with factory "extended" mags. Carry a reload and practice your mag changes. You will be alright. Really worried about ammo? Carry a third mag. The hyve baseplates look cool but at that point you may as well get the next size up m&p or a 19.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is that you, Cormac McCarthy?
View Quote

Ahahaha!  11 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It is now that I have a good holster for it. If I'm wearing a polo or rarely a jacket, I'll carry the G19.
It also depends on where I'm going that day too. The G26 is very easy to conceal for me, and more comfortable at work.
View Quote

Maybe I just hate the middle.

I don't like my G19 for carry, I prefer the G17.

I'm normally a full size guy, so when I wanted small, I wanted the thinnest semi auto available.

I'm shocked I don't hate it.

I think we're coming from different angles. G19 and G26 are great compromises, but I'd prefer the opposite spectrum.

Give me the most capacity (flush), or the most concealable gun platform.

I see where you're coming from, you can stick a G18 mag in yours. Just not what I'm trying to accomplish, I guess.

I'd rather have a full size pistol, with all the benefits, or the smallest version of a platform I'm comfortable with.

I know I'm in the minority for not liking the G19, but I just don't.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a G43, and like it................I will probably get a G26 when my next coupon comes in the mail
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

HK p30 sk V1

Sig p320 sub compact

Sig p224

M&P 9 sub compact

Ect
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HK p30 sk V1

Sig p320 sub compact

Sig p224

M&P 9 sub compact

Ect

This one with a pinky magazine extension opened my eyes to sub compacts.  I carried a G19 for so long I forgot what an ergonomically correct pistol felt like to hold and shoot.  I was very reluctant to give up 5 rounds (16 vs 11), but I shoot the P30sk so well it's a seemingly worthwhile trade-off (at least in hotter months).

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I like my G43 a lot. I still carry my 19 most of the time though. The 43 is still waiting on sights and a TLR-6.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Buh buh mah baseplates"

Fucking failboat.

Tell you what. Post pictures of you pocket carrying a G43 from multiple angles and I'll give you advice. Nobody has stepped up yet, we'll see.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This..
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not a huge subcompact fan, but they are convenient at times.

The gun will fit all the way in the pouch, but I have the grip sticking out so you can see where it is.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Never owned a gun with a laser before, but since battery life is the same with light and with light+laser, I figured what the heck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't use the HST 150grn Micros, use the regular 147s, the 147s actually still perform better terminal ballistics wise in short barrels.

And FlatDarkEarf is right, with some self defense ammo the extra barrel length is negligible for terminal ballistics, especially 147 HST. However between the added sight radiu, easy to conceal barrel length, and most other highly length/velocity temperamental SD ammo, its useless to carry short barrel long gripped guns.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Did you have a stroke?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Buh buh mah baseplates"

Fucking failboat.

Did you have a stroke?

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I like the G43 well enough, but like the Shield (feels better) and Beretta Nano (shoots better) over the baby Glock.

Whatever works for you 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Eh...if i have a double stack on me its my G19...

single,e stacks i love the 43, sheild and the LC9S pro... someone on here swears they can do 11+1 in a 43 with the TTI base plate and a different follower i think.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you can carry the g43, try a g26. It's been my edc for a while with a tlr6.
View Quote

If you carry the G26, try a G19

G43 is slimmer than the G26, and disappears on me. I'm 5'9", 170 lbs and will be 160 by the summer.
For me the G43 replaces my j-frame, similar I believe to OP. The G43 is as concealable, maybe more than my airweight j-frame. The G43 shoots better, carries more and is easier to reload
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Is a 9mm capable of being a "pocket" gun? I guess so, some do.

Kahr
SIG P938

In older pistols there is the Detonics Pocket 9, Star (Firestar) and others. Something like this in a search engine will deliver some interesting and different views: https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=pocket+9mm&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

For the most part it's about the trigger. Pocket pistols are not duty guns and don't get used at those ranges. What does need to be done is explore - as the example above - what ammo works best from the typically shorter barrels. All too often 9mm is tested and the specs published with 4" barrels, shorten them to 3" and the best ammo made will resort into a completely different order of performance.

And because of the typical engagement range of less than 21 feet some of the trusted accessories used on larger guns become unnecessary. Tactics are different, too, and detection of the firearm may become more important.

As in, is that a mouse in your pocket or . . . whatever. Pocket guns are meant to be concealed. Duty guns are Open Carry. A small gun kitted put as an Open Carry duty gun with all the bells and whistles is working at cross purposes.

But, some do. There are no hard and fast rules.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Don't use the HST 150grn Micros, use the regular 147s, the 147s actually still perform better terminal ballistics wise in short barrels.

And FlatDarkEarf is right, with some self defense ammo the extra barrel length is negligible for terminal ballistics, especially 147 HST. However between the added sight radiu, easy to conceal barrel length, and most other highly length/velocity temperamental SD ammo, its useless to carry short barrel long gripped guns.
View Quote

That's why I don't like shorter guns in general. Barrel length, and grip.

But, it's longer than my 642 bbl, and I can get a grip on it.

Still not my go to...just shocked I don't hate it. I kind of like it, actually.

I'll do more research on the loads. I prefer heavier bullets on general,  so combined with the fact the HST Micro was designed for smaller guns...I bit.

I definitely have some 147 HSTs and GDs around.

I'll check into it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm a 5'9" manlet and cycle between 175 and 190 depending on the season.  I've never had any trouble concealing my G17.

Tiny pistols are good to keep in a backpack, but are shit for "I need it now" defensive use.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If you carry the G26, try a G19

G43 is slimmer than the G26, and disappears on me. I'm 5'9", 170 lbs and will be 160 by the summer.
For me the G43 replaces my j-frame, similar I believe to OP. The G43 is as concealable, maybe more than my airweight j-frame. The G43 shoots better, carries more and is easier to reload
View Quote

You get why I bought this pistol.

Still love my 642, but I may have started an affair...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#42]
As much as I dearly love my 1911, my CZ P09 .40 and my G17, none of them conceal as well as my LC9s.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm a 5'9" manlet and cycle between 175 and 190 depending on the season.  I've never had any trouble concealing my G17.

Tiny pistols are good to keep in a backpack, but are shit for "I need it now" defensive use.
View Quote

5'11 here,  and I agree. No issues with a G17.

It's a secondary gun,  or a throw in the hoodie pocket gun. Also works nice in an ankle holster, or in my IWB if it's socially unacceptable to carry.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#44]
My G43 was my "summer carry" gun a couple years ago, but it's turned into the only gun I carry. There isn't a better balance of easy concealing, easy to shoot, and reliability out there. My 1911s have a thick layer of dust on them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Screw that. It's like the Sig239.  It's got 80% of the size of the 229, with half the mag capacity.  Not worth it IMHO. Then again I can conceal a 1911 w/ x300u without problems so whatever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's why I don't like shorter guns in general. Barrel length, and grip.

But, it's longer than my 642 bbl, and I can get a grip on it.

Still not my go to...just shocked I don't hate it. I kind of like it, actually.

I'll do more research on the loads. I prefer heavier bullets on general,  so combined with the fact the HST Micro was designed for smaller guns...I bit.

I definitely have some 147 HSTs and GDs around.

I'll check into it. Thanks.
View Quote

I like you. You're logical. The 150 is lower recoil, but that's what it should have been marketed as, not "Micro".

ShootingTheBull has the test.

It's nice to hear some people see there's little difference between CCW a G17 and 19.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My G43 was my "summer carry" gun a couple years ago, but it's turned into the only gun I carry. There isn't a better balance of easy concealing, easy to shoot, and reliability out there. My 1911s have a thick layer of dust on them.
View Quote

We'll see how it goes.

I thought subcompact autoloaders were for fags a matter of weeks ago. I still think without the mag increase (and grip) I'd hate it.

I don't see it replacing my 1911 or G17, but time will tell.

I didn't think I'd even like the damn thing, but I gave it a shot and was surprised. It's really light, and it gives "disappears" a new meaning for my carry needs.

With the Streamlight, I kind of like it versus my 642, but again with time... (I also like a spare mag versus a speed loader)

It's a strange experience for me. I never thought I'd like subcompact semi autos, and I sure as shit didn't think I'd love a small gun like I love my 642.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
One time I had pistol....  Glock nineteen.

Old timers always said it was the perfect size, but to tell you the truth it seemed a tad big to me.

Always loved listening to them old timers.

Now I also had myself a J-frame, the one without the lock, but the way things are going today I felt overmatched with five rounds.

Bought myself a Glock 26.

Now some people will tell you that you can't get a proper grip on that gun, but I never really believed it.

Who knows what to believe now.  I surely don't.

They come out with a model 43.  

Single stack.  

Started to buy one, but I felt my soul being torn by what that really got me over the J frame.

Well, I suppose a Glock 26 it is then.

For me at least.  

While I'm still here on this earth.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top