User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look at it this way:
Everyone's body can only process so much sugar in a lifetime.

You enjoyed it for many years more so than others, its time to let some of those things go and move on to healthier things.
View Quote

Really. Source?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]
So called "sugar free" sweets are full of sugar alcohols. Same as real sugar or corn sryup, just different labeling allowed by the FDA.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's impossible and unhealthy to eliminate all carbs. And if you allow yourself an occasional indulgence it's easier to moderate your urges.

I bake all my own bread, and by using ingredients such as sprouted wheat flour and flaxseed I can pack extra nutrients in that help offset the impact of the carbs. White bread doesn't have much in the way of nutritional content.
One good thing about PB is that it's a low glycemic index, and helps moderate your blood sugar, so it helps offset any spikes from the jelly.
View Quote

With all due respect, your post is 100% medically and literally incorrect, and honestly shit, dangerous, advice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have. Not convinced and might I say ya'll keto-kommandos are as bad as tree bark gnawing hippy vegans. I'll stick with the advice of my friend who's a registered dietician.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmm trade a foot for strawberry jam.....

Go keto 100 percent

Eat steak n salad

Google ketosis n diabetes

Read multiple source til you are convinced
Get off meds
Save your life

And after a short transition it's very easy

I have. Not convinced and might I say ya'll keto-kommandos are as bad as tree bark gnawing hippy vegans. I'll stick with the advice of my friend who's a registered dietician.

Your post is so fucking ignorant I'd probably violate COC breaking it down (seeing people die due to bad information gets me torqued), but anyway, pretty sure there are at least 3 MDs in the keto thread.

Brb going to go shart and pick my belly button lint and become a "registered dietician".

Fuck I should have never gone to school.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#5]
12 years of this.
I have learned a few tricks that work for me.
Every once in a while I eat whatever I want.
You can believe me or not. It I've spent years testing my blood a lot to see what I can get away with.

If I eat about 3/4 Lb of meat/ brisket or other red meat then eat chocolate cake or whatever and then afterwards eat a dill pickle I can eat almost any sweet I want.

I do this once or twice a month to keep my sanity.

Try it..
YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
ETA....disregard.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
…specifically peanut butter with strawberry preserves. I have so much love for the stuff. I used to eat it homemade growing up.
View Quote

It's fairly easy question.

Which do you love more, strawberry preserves or a. your feet, b. your eyesight, or c. your kidney function?

Diabetes is not to fuck around with.

How about some numbers, if you don't mind sharing?

ETA: Don't get sucked in by the No Sugar Added bullshit. Reduce your overall carbohydrate consumption to <50 gm per day, and you will be amazed at the results.

Read the frigging label, on everything!

Make up the missing calories with fats.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Got the bad news back in September, sugar was 350....after the panic I got it down to 100 within a week.
I have found the diet/exercise combo that works for me. Never being able to drink a Mexican (cane sugar) coke again sucks.
Oh well...it could be worse. The irony was that for at least 3-4 years I had really cut way back on the snacks, candies and sugary foods.
Had lost weight, was exercising etc...and still.
View Quote
You ain't alone, WhirlyGirl....but don't sweat it...you are doing the right thing.

I am very sensitive to low and high sugar so, for me, it's an all natural diet PERIOD.   Any deviation makes me sick.

Why was really pushing me over the edge was my triglecerides.  Last year I was over 650.  The year before, over 800...no kidding.

After almost one year on my paleo/hybrid diet ( I call it a bronze age diet as I allow myself things like REAL cheeses, quality yogurt, etc, which have been around for a few thousand years now ) my triglycerides are below 150!!!!

Yes, it sucks not to have fun.....I miss Mexican Coca Cola, too.....but being sick all the time is worse....much worse!

Keep it up!!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#9]
IBTL!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey mods...lock this shit. Im sick of hitting the ignore button. Too many ketards, when all I'm wanting are other alternatives for strawberry preserves.

To the rest, thanks for the suggestions.
View Quote

Say hi to wilford for me
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

With all due respect, your post is 100% medically and literally incorrect, and honestly shit, dangerous, advice.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Your post is so fucking ignorant I'd probably violate COC breaking it down (seeing people die due to bad information gets me torqued), but anyway, pretty sure there are at least 3 MDs in the keto thread.

Brb going to go shart and pick my belly button lint and become a "registered dietician".

View Quote

Discouragin' ain't it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey mods...lock this shit. Im sick of hitting the ignore button. Too many ketards, when all I'm wanting are other alternatives for strawberry preserves.

To the rest, thanks for the suggestions.
View Quote

Willfully ignorant and proud of it you are.

Make sure you have someone direct me to your memorial thread.

That said, I'll give you my personal cell if you'd like daily and continuing dietary advice and guidance, at your convenience, for free, my pleasure.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Who's on a pump and if so, which one?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Willfully ignorant and proud of it you are.

Make sure you have someone direct me to your memorial thread.

That said, I'll give you my personal cell if you'd like daily and continuing dietary advice and guidance, at your convenience, for free, my pleasure.
View Quote

OP, unless you get your shitty attitude under control, and start learning about what you are dealing with, you are in for trouble you never dreamed of.

There are people here who are equipped to give you good advice, but you are evidently unwilling to listen or learn.

Good luck ............. you'll need every bit you can get.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Discouragin' ain't it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discouragin' ain't it?

Sometimes it makes me sad, other times it makes me mad. Other times I get why some don't give a fuck and let patients end themselves, painfully, slowly. Who wants to argue.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's fairly easy question.

Which do you love more, strawberry preserves or a. your feet, b. your eyesight, or c. your kidney function?

Diabetes is not to fuck around with.

How about some numbers, if you don't mind sharing?

ETA: Don't get sucked in by the No Sugar Added bullshit. Reduce your overall carbohydrate consumption to <50 gm per day, and you will be amazed at the results.

Read the frigging label, on everything!

This awesomeness needs no further comment.  Except it sounds like a tree bark gnawing vegan.  And all vegans must die.

Make up the missing calories with fats.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Ketards.  that's a new one.  That's like. . . . . . well. . . . . . . I've been here since 1999.  It's not like anything.

Maybe flat earth society?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:45:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Who's on a pump and if so, which one?
View Quote

Lots of people who don't listen to ketards.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Really. Source?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at it this way:
Everyone's body can only process so much sugar in a lifetime.

You enjoyed it for many years more so than others, its time to let some of those things go and move on to healthier things.

Really. Source?

Isn't that type 2 in a nutshell?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

No
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Ok, here's the thing...

1. I'm not discounting Keto. I'm just not convinced it's right for me just yet.
2. Ketards...yes, you all come across just as militant as vegans or crossfitters. Get over it. Besides, browbeating someone isn't the best way to convince anyone of anything.
3. I work in the medical field as an EMT, while I'm not a physician, I have ran countless calls on diabetic emergencies. I know the score as far as DM goes and I take this fucking seriously.
4. I was raised around Type 2 diabetes. It runs in my family. My Mom, Dad, Grandma, and worthless shitstain of a brother all have it. It's not new to me. The likelihood of this going away is very slim.
5. Yes I am recently dxd as Type 2. I don't use a pump and I'm not on insulin. At this point I only do FSBS and glucophage.
6. This thread was simply a minor sarcastic rant about the little annoyances I'm learning to get used to.
7. Considering #5, I simply wanted an alternative to a favorite treat of mine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#23]
New to this. I was a sugar freak all my life.  The amount of sugar and candy I would consume could be measured as a percentage of my body weight!
Three months ago was diagnosed with type 2.
My feet are in constant pain.  Like I am standing barefoot in a snowbank.  I was told it won't go away.
Pecker weak or not working but they think there's hope in that.

Still working on controlling my numbers.  Cut out sugar 98%. ( once a week I have some ice cream )  Take 2000mg of Metformin daily.
Counting the carbs and finding it difficult.  Haven't had a potato or rice in the whole three months.

I've got a lot to learn and adjust to.  Glad I found this post.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:57:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
New to this. I was a sugar freak all my life.  The amount of sugar and candy I would consume could be measured as a percentage of my body weight!
My feet are in constant pain.  Like I am standing barefoot in a snowbank.  I was told it won't go away.

Still working on controlling my numbers.  Cut out sugar 98%. ( once a week I have some ice cream )  Take 2000mg of Metformin daily.
Counting the carbs and finding it difficult.  Haven't had a potato or rice in the whole three months.

View Quote

Just please please please, do your own research.  It was sugar that got you into this.  It is total elimination of sugar that will get you out of it.

zero starch, zero grains, zero rice, zero sugar.  Replace it with healthy fat and lots of veggies.  Once you get into it, it's easy.

"Everything in moderation" works for people who aren't damaged.  You are damaged.

Good luck; sounds like you are on the edge.  Just don't let anyone tell you that you should eat enough carbs to balance your meds.

If you get cravings, eat more fat.  And keep us posted.

ETA you might need some outside help if your doc wants you to keep eating carbs.  You'll have to ratchet down your metformin if you go super low carb. If your doc says eat carbs, please find another doc.

There is some danger if you zero out carbs and you have high dosage of metformin.  Typically you can cut your dosage in half right away-- however, you are pretty far along if you are feeling your feet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:06:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, I'm glad my sarcastic little rant helped a bit.

My biggest downfalls were fatty foods, LOTS of Dr. Pepper, being a chocoholic and a fairly sedentary lifestyle (I quit being active and became an EMT sitting in an ambulance). So I understand your pain as do quite a few others on this site. I'm still learning to adjust my diet and was making progress when I learned the news. While I personally haven't read enough about it yet to be a believer, many here seem to swear by the Keto diet. It's worth looking into as well as getting with a dietician. Counting carbs isn't too difficult if you understand how much you should have per snack (approx 15g) and per meal (up to 40-60g)...those numbers are from the American Diabetes Assn. I keep mine since I'm still adjusting to generally 200g total daily and working on reducing it even more. I use an app called "MyFitnessPal". Orginally I was using it just to keep track of my caloric intake and exercise, but I adjusted it to track carbs as well. I also use a diary to log daily vitals. I record religiously, date/time, weight, blood pressure and heart rate (I have hypertension too) and then my blood sugar. So far I've gone back to eating fruits and veggies as snacks and as part of meals instead of the junk I used to as well as eating breakfast and have cut out regular sodas and other sweets.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:07:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ok, here's the thing...

2. Ketards...yes, you all come across just as militant as vegans or crossfitters. Get over it. Besides, browbeating someone isn't the best way to convince anyone of anything.
3. I work in the medical field as an EMT, while I'm not a physician, I have ran countless calls on diabetic emergencies. I know the score as far as DM goes and I take this fucking seriously.
4. I was raised around Type 2 diabetes. It runs in my family. My Mom, Dad, Grandma, and worthless shitstain of a brother all have it. It's not new to me. The likelihood of this going away is very slim.
5. Yes I am recently dxd as Type 2. I don't use a pump and I'm not on insulin. At this point I only do FSBS and glucophage.
6. This thread was simply a minor sarcastic rant about the little annoyances I'm learning to get used to.
View Quote

Taktiq, I wish you the best with all this.  Lots of it in my family too.  The worst was an uncle with dementia, which is now referred to as Type III.

You have to find your own way to a solution.  All we are saying, is give keto a chance. . . . . . . . .

And I hope you find your jam solution too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:07:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Skip the bread and just have a couple spoonfuls of pb&j?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:09:12 AM EDT
[#28]
my hospital put on a diabetes class that was very informative. our was covered by insurance.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:10:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Taktiq, I wish you the best with all this.  Lots of it in my family too.  The worst was an uncle with dementia, which is now referred to as Type III.

You have to find your own way to a solution.  All we are saying, is give keto a chance. . . . . . . . .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, here's the thing...

I understand that, but knowing myself it'd be difficult to go from one extreme to the other and stick to it. Plus I also have hypertension and at the moment very high tryglyceride levels on top of this, so replacing sugars with fats wouldn't be the best thing for me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:11:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I can say I am qualified to comment on this thread - I had undiagnosed type 2 diabetes a year and a half ago that lead to me having a stroke.  When I went to the hospital, my blood pressure was 216/116 and my BCG was 285.  The 285 is not bad you might think, but that was after not eating anything for 2 days.  Who knows how high it really was before my body decided to run off the diving board.  After 5 days in the hospital, I came out with very little information and a low dose of insulin.  The best advice was to see a primary care physician, who is a young doctor who is pretty slick and he put me on Metformin, beginning 1000mg twice a day.  I carb counted like a hawk and walked at least a mile or two a day, and things started looking better in just a couple months.  I had to experiment around and find out what worked for me.  The Metformin (whoever posted that it is two hundred dollars a month has a bad pharmacist, it's $4 a month at WalMart or Kroger's here, $10 for a three month supply).  I kicked everything bread and sugar cold-turkey from day one out of the hospital.  I was scared to even eat out for a month.  I stuck absolutely low carb for almost a year, to the point I weaned myself off of Metformin entirely.  I have been diabetes medicine free since last June.  The key is not some magic diet that works for everyone.  You must absolutely find out what works for you.  And it is not always consistent, some days you can eat more than others.  And contrary to all the Keto advice, you CAN have too much protein.  Your BCG will be slightly higher the next morning after a BIG steak than a smaller one.  Proteins eventually get processed into glucose, although a much smoother ride for your body than a sugar rush followed by a crash.  Here are the facts:
- Test randomly and see what your body is doing.  The absolute rule of blood sugar is that 120 two hours after eating is normal.  If you are higher than that, you are eating too many carbs or just plain eating too much.  Yes, portion control is necessary and too much of a good thing still has to be processed by your body.  You need to check what your body does with different foods so you know what you can and cannot do.  
- A little alcohol in the form of high alcohol content (non-fruity) wines or grain alcohols is OK, even actually good in small amounts.  It, however, is processed before ANYTHING else you take in and can through your metabolism off if not done carelfully
- Your blood sugar will probably rise a little overnight.  Drugs like metformin reduce your liver's nightly processing of sugars but without meds your sugar rises so night time meals need to be more modest than daytime
- Your body will absolutely benefit from eating at the same time every meal every day, you will benefit from making lifestyle changes to accomodate making this happen every day.  At my house, don't get in the way of breakfast at 6 am or supper at 6pm  I get very angry, not just "hangry" although that is very real, but the knowledge that late meals mean screwing up your body's pattern of processing carbohydrates
- As said previously, your daily requirements of carbohydrates is ZERO - you don't have to have a single one.  More power to you if you can train yourself to not take a single carb in a day.  I am not THAT disciplined, but I am disciplined enough that I eat, exercise, keep my BCG in the morning under 100 most days of the month , and my body weight has stayed within two pounds the last six months ( I am 5'6" and 152-154 pounds depending if I take a massive dump or not).
- Get your diabetes under control now.  It is as good as it gets in the first year.  After that, you can hopefully keep it at bay for a while.  Sooner or later your pancreas gives out.  That is why people eat less as they get older, its natural for your body to deteriorate.  For diabetics, it's worse and you will probably turn into a type 1 eventually.  Hopefully, that is much later and it pays to keep it under control right now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:14:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

How is it not?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I can say I am qualified to comment on this thread - I had undiagnosed type 2 diabetes a year and a half ago that lead to me having a stroke.  When I went to the hospital, my blood pressure was 216/116 and my BCG was 285.  The 285 is not bad you might think, but that was after not eating anything for 2 days.  Who knows how high it really was before my body decided to run off the diving board.  After 5 days in the hospital, I came out with very little information and a low dose of insulin.  The best advice was to see a primary care physician, who is a young doctor who is pretty slick and he put me on Metformin, beginning 1000mg twice a day.  I carb counted like a hawk and walked at least a mile or two a day, and things started looking better in just a couple months.  I had to experiment around and find out what worked for me.  The Metformin (whoever posted that it is two hundred dollars a month has a bad pharmacist, it's $4 a month at WalMart or Kroger's here, $10 for a three month supply).  I kicked everything bread and sugar cold-turkey from day one out of the hospital. I was scared to even eat out for a month.  I stuck absolutely low carb for almost a year, to the point I weaned myself off of Metformin entirely.  I have been diabetes medicine free since last June.  The key is not some magic diet that works for everyone.  You must absolutely find out what works for you.  And it is not always consistent, some days you can eat more than others.  And contrary to all the Keto advice, you CAN have too much protein.  Your BCG will be slightly higher the next morning after a BIG steak than a smaller one.  Proteins eventually get processed into glucose, although a much smoother ride for your body than a sugar rush followed by a crash.  Here are the facts:
- Test randomly and see what your body is doing.  The absolute rule of blood sugar is that 120 two hours after eating is normal.  If you are higher than that, you are eating too many carbs or just plain eating too much.  Yes, portion control is necessary and too much of a good thing still has to be processed by your body.  You need to check what your body does with different foods so you know what you can and cannot do.  
- A little alcohol in the form of high alcohol content (non-fruity) wines or grain alcohols is OK, even actually good in small amounts.  It, however, is processed before ANYTHING else you take in and can through your metabolism off if not done carelfully
- Your blood sugar will probably rise a little overnight.  Drugs like metformin reduce your liver's nightly processing of sugars but without meds your sugar rises so night time meals need to be more modest than daytime
- Your body will absolutely benefit from eating at the same time every meal every day, you will benefit from making lifestyle changes to accomodate making this happen every day.  At my house, don't get in the way of breakfast at 6 am or supper at 6pm  I get very angry, not just "hangry" although that is very real, but the knowledge that late meals mean screwing up your body's pattern of processing carbohydrates
- As said previously, your daily requirements of carbohydrates is ZERO - you don't have to have a single one.  More power to you if you can train yourself to not take a single carb in a day.  I am not THAT disciplined, but I am disciplined enough that I eat, exercise, keep my BCG in the morning under 100 most days of the month , and my body weight has stayed within two pounds the last six months ( I am 5'6" and 152-154 pounds depending if I take a massive dump or not).
- Get your diabetes under control now.  It is as good as it gets in the first year.  After that, you can hopefully keep it at bay for a while.  Sooner or later your pancreas gives out.  That is why people eat less as they get older, its natural for your body to deteriorate.  For diabetics, it's worse and you will probably turn into a type 1 eventually.  Hopefully, that is much later and it pays to keep it under control right now.
View Quote

You know it sounds comical, but you're right I found myself really paranoid at first about anything and everything I took in. I remember half joking to my wife one morning if it was bad that I was so paranoid I worried how much sugar was in my toothpaste.

ETA...damn I just looked into something you said I hadn't thought to look into and you're right, diabetes is a progressive disease. I was actually unaware of that. Bummer. Oh well, at least I know now rather than later and can plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:30:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:49:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Hardly any of this discussion applies to Type 1 diabetes. If you have Type 1 diabetes, you must take insulin (your body doesn't make any of its own), and if you take insulin, you must eat carbs (otherwise you'll go into hypoglycemia). I'm just saying this in case some Type 1 diabetic is confused by reading all this stuff about keto diets, etc.

I've been dealing with Type 1 diabetes myself for more than 50 years.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:55:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Hardly any of this discussion applies to Type 1 diabetes. If you have Type 1 diabetes, you must take insulin (your body doesn't make any of its own), and if you take insulin, you must eat carbs (otherwise you'll go into hypoglycemia). I'm just saying this in case some Type 1 diabetic is confused by reading all this stuff about keto diets, etc.

I've been dealing with Type 1 diabetes myself for more than 50 years.
View Quote

Valid point. I edited thread title.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:28:19 AM EDT
[#36]
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ag2hmJhrx_BztXZoTStg5GDUGWdJ

Ketotard here

If the link doesnt work   its a reading i took just now.   45 min after a good meal

It reads 71

70 fucking one !

I for one want to say thank you to the other ketotatds that pointed me in the right direction.    

Thank you. Thank you.  Thank you

Its been hard yes
Very hard
Not gonna lie

Its been fucking hard

But once you get it.  Its ok   and actually not bad

Again to the hard charger that posted in my coming out thread last may this simple comment

If you like your diabeties.  You can keep your diabeties

I dont recall who you are but thank you

In the begining.  That fucking saying was in my head as i was reading labels ..

Thank you who ever you were

Please know it doesnt always fall on deaf ears

I also do  " cheating
"    once every 1 to 2 months.   As someone said it helps keep you sane

I said it earlier .. OP. You doing this wrong

To the other hard ass ketotards

Thank you
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:36:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ag2hmJhrx_BztXZoTStg5GDUGWdJ

Ketotard here

If the link doesnt work   its a reading i took just now.   45 min after a good meal

It reads 71

70 fucking one !

I for one want to say thank you to the other ketotatds that pointed me in the right direction.    

Thank you. Thank you.  Thank you

Its been hard yes
Very hard
Not gonna lie

Its been fucking hard

But once you get it.  Its ok   and actually not bad

Again to the hard charger that posted in my coming out thread last may this simple comment

If you like your diabeties.  You can keep your diabeties

I dont recall who you are but thank you

In the begining.  That fucking saying was in my head as i was reading labels ..

Thank you who ever you were

Please know it doesnt always fall on deaf ears I also do  " cheating
"    once every 1 to 2 months.   As someone said it helps keep you sane

I said it earlier .. OP. You doing this wrong

To the other hard ass ketotards

Thank you
View Quote

You do know diabetes isn't a competition, besides you're using the enter key and spacebar wrong
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:47:30 AM EDT
[#38]
OP, I've been in your shoes. I knew nothing about diabetes or how to live with it. I had to learn very quickly. One of the most important things I learned is that the American Diabetes Association's dietary recommendations are complete shit. 15g of carbs per snack? Why? Diabetes means that, to put it in simplistic terms, your body is allergic to carbs. Or, put another way, carbs have become poison to your body. Your body can't process carbs. So why the blue fuck would you keep eating them? The ADA has people aiming for, what, 45 - 60g of carbs per meal; that's almost 200g per day, maybe more if you include snacks. Jesus fuck, that's too much. People trying to reverse diabetes or pre-diabetes should aim for as few carbs per day as possible, period. For some, that means fewer than 60g; for others, less than 30g. Some people get pretty close to zero. Either way, the point is that the ADA is killing people. Take all their "advice" and throw it in the trash can where it belongs.

Their dietary advice makes sense when you realize that the ADA is sponsored mostly by pharmaceutical companies who make bank selling insulin and other diabetes drugs. Seriously. Look at their "Banting Circle Supporters."

To keep on my little soapbox, Type 2 means you're beyond insulin resistant; your body is awash in insulin and your cells aren't responding to it anymore. So why flood the body with even more insulin? Why not just stop the need for excess insulin altogether by reducing carb intake, instead of adhering to the ADA's guaranteed-to-make-diabetics-even-worse diet? The ADA states that diabetes is progressive and cannot be cured. That's bullshit. Look up how people reversed their diabetes by cutting carbs. Some people are too far gone for that to help, but it doesn't sound like you're that far gone yet.

I say this respectfully: It sounds like you have a LOT to learn about diabetes, carbs, and nutritional macros. As I said, I was there, too, and not too long ago either! The sad truth is that you can't eat your PBJs anymore. I know how that feels, too. I miss the snacks I used to eat, but I like not feeling like crap more than I like eating those things. Once you get your insulin levels to within a more normal range, and your A1C and BG are also within normal range, then you might be able to get away with a PBJ every now and then. But diabetics are severely metabolically damaged; any carbs (carbs are in sugar-free or no-sugar-added stuff, too) will just keep pushing you slowly off the cliff into Diabetes Complication Land. It's not a pretty place: neuropathy, amputations, blindness, impotence, kidney failure. You say you take this stuff "fucking seriously"; if so, then you'll realize that carbs are poison for you, and you can't eat your PBJ anymore without doing more damage to yourself.

I thought keto was bullshit, too. But I was desperate, so I tried it. I reversed early stage Type 2 in less than 2 months, right hand to God. I didn't even follow keto as strictly as you're supposed to; I still ate blueberries occasionally, for example. I tried following the advice of my registered dietician, but I got worse under her "care." So I said screw that, and tried keto. My triglycerides have vastly improved under keto; it's amazing that people still persist in thinking that eating fat will make your triglycerides worse. It does in a small subset of people who genetically cannot process dietary fat well, but for most people, fat is the way to go.

Tree bark eating vegans, eh? Their numbers look a million times worse than mine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:47:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You do know diabetes isn't a competition, besides you're using the enter key and spacebar wrong
View Quote

i was outside  and it was cold

my coming out thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1869328_Diabetes_____I_haz_it_____what_do_i_need_to_know.html
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:31:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

“Television won’t be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night.” — Darryl Zanuck, executive at 20th Century Fox, 1946

"The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty – a fad.” — President of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford’s lawyer, Horace Rackham, not to invest in the Ford Motor Company, 1903

"The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys.” — Sir William Preece, Chief Engineer, British Post Office, 1876

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/0816p24.shtml

August 2016 Issue

Low-Carb Diets & Diabetes
By Constance Brown-Riggs, MSEd, RD, CDE, CDN
Today's Dietitian
Vol. 18 No. 8 P. 24

Historical Perspective

Before the discovery of insulin therapy in the early 1920s, diets for people with diabetes were low in carbohydrate and high in fat. However, after the discovery of insulin therapy and oral hypoglycemic medications, recommendations for carbohydrate intake gradually increased.1 Between 1921 and 1950, diets for people with diabetes generally limited carbohydrate to about 20% of calories.2 In the early 1950s, the American Diabetes Association (ADA), the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (the Academy, formerly the American Dietetic Association), and the US Public Health Service joined forces to make nationally applicable nutrition recommendations, and the carbohydrate percentages increased to up to 43% of calories per day.3 By 1971 through 1986, there continued to be an increase in the recommended percentage of carbohydrate, reaching a high of 60% of total calories per day in 1986.3 In 2004, the ADA issued a position statement in agreement with the National Academy of Sciences Food and Nutrition Board's recommendation that carbohydrate intake shouldn't exceed 65% of total calories per day. Moreover, the ADA stated that low-carbohydrate diets with less than 130 g/day were not recommended.4 This position was maintained in the ADA's 2008 Nutrition Recommendations and Interventions for Diabetes.5 It wasn't until 2013, after a review of the available evidence, that the ADA changed course regarding carbohydrate intake, noting that there was no conclusive evidence of an ideal amount of carbohydrate intake for people with diabetes.

Safety and Efficacy

There's an emerging body of evidence showing the benefits and safety of carbohydrate restriction in people with diabetes. In addition to ADA's literature review resulting in the 2013 position statement on carbohydrate, nine randomized, controlled trials,7-15 one meta-analysis,16 and one retrospective study17 have shown efficacy and safety of low-carbohydrate and very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets. Carbohydrate levels in these studies ranged from 20 g to 130 g per day.

• Hyperglycemia is the most salient feature of diabetes. Dietary carbohydrate restriction has the greatest effect on decreasing blood glucose levels.
• During the epidemics of obesity and type 2 diabetes, caloric increases have been due almost entirely to increased carbohydrates.
• Benefits of dietary carbohydrate restriction don't require weight loss.
• Although weight loss isn't required for benefit [in glycemic control], no dietary intervention is better than carbohydrate restriction for weight loss.
• Adherence to low-carbohydrate diets in people with type 2 diabetes is at least as good as adherence to any other dietary interventions and is frequently significantly better.
• Replacement of carbohydrate with protein is generally beneficial [to glycemic control].
• Dietary total and saturated fat don't correlate with risk of cardiovascular disease.
• Plasma saturated fatty acids are controlled by dietary carbohydrate more than by dietary lipids.
• The best predictor of microvascular and, to a lesser extent, macrovascular complications in patients with type 2 diabetes is glycemic control (HbA1c).
• Dietary carbohydrate restriction is the most effective method (other than starvation) of reducing serum triglycerides and increasing high-density lipoprotein.
• Patients with type 2 diabetes on carbohydrate-restricted diets reduce and frequently eliminate medication. People with type 1 usually require lower insulin doses.
• Intensive glucose lowering by dietary carbohydrate restriction has no side effects comparable with the effects of intensive pharmacologic treatment.

Feinman and colleagues concluded that the evidence represents "the best-documented, least controversial results. The insistence on long-term randomized controlled trials as the only kind of data that will be accepted is without precedent in science. The seriousness of diabetes requires that we evaluate all of the evidence that is available. The 12 points are sufficiently compelling that we feel that the burden of proof rests with those who are opposed."
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:56:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP, I've been in your shoes. I knew nothing about diabetes or how to live with it. I had to learn very quickly. One of the most important things I learned is that the American Diabetes Association's dietary recommendations are complete shit. 15g of carbs per snack? Why? Diabetes means that, to put it in simplistic terms, your body is allergic to carbs. Or, put another way, carbs have become poison to your body. Your body can't process carbs. So why the blue fuck would you keep eating them? The ADA has people aiming for, what, 45 - 60g of carbs per meal; that's almost 200g per day, maybe more if you include snacks. Jesus fuck, that's too much. People trying to reverse diabetes or pre-diabetes should aim for as few carbs per day as possible, period. For some, that means fewer than 60g; for others, less than 30g. Some people get pretty close to zero. Either way, the point is that the ADA is killing people. Take all their "advice" and throw it in the trash can where it belongs.

Their dietary advice makes sense when you realize that the ADA is sponsored mostly by pharmaceutical companies who make bank selling insulin and other diabetes drugs. Seriously. Look at their "Banting Circle Supporters."

To keep on my little soapbox, Type 2 means you're beyond insulin resistant; your body is awash in insulin and your cells aren't responding to it anymore. So why flood the body with even more insulin? Why not just stop the need for excess insulin altogether by reducing carb intake, instead of adhering to the ADA's guaranteed-to-make-diabetics-even-worse diet? The ADA states that diabetes is progressive and cannot be cured. That's bullshit. Look up how people reversed their diabetes by cutting carbs. Some people are too far gone for that to help, but it doesn't sound like you're that far gone yet.

I say this respectfully: It sounds like you have a LOT to learn about diabetes, carbs, and nutritional macros. As I said, I was there, too, and not too long ago either! The sad truth is that you can't eat your PBJs anymore. I know how that feels, too. I miss the snacks I used to eat, but I like not feeling like crap more than I like eating those things. Once you get your insulin levels to within a more normal range, and your A1C and BG are also within normal range, then you might be able to get away with a PBJ every now and then. But diabetics are severely metabolically damaged; any carbs (carbs are in sugar-free or no-sugar-added stuff, too) will just keep pushing you slowly off the cliff into Diabetes Complication Land. It's not a pretty place: neuropathy, amputations, blindness, impotence, kidney failure. You say you take this stuff "fucking seriously"; if so, then you'll realize that carbs are poison for you, and you can't eat your PBJ anymore without doing more damage to yourself.

I thought keto was bullshit, too. But I was desperate, so I tried it. I reversed early stage Type 2 in less than 2 months, right hand to God. I didn't even follow keto as strictly as you're supposed to; I still ate blueberries occasionally, for example. I tried following the advice of my registered dietician, but I got worse under her "care." So I said screw that, and tried keto. My triglycerides have vastly improved under keto; it's amazing that people still persist in thinking that eating fat will make your triglycerides worse. It does in a small subset of people who genetically cannot process dietary fat well, but for most people, fat is the way to go.

Tree bark eating vegans, eh? Their numbers look a million times worse than mine.
View Quote

Tree bark eating vegans....read my reasoning for saying that. Anyway...
Yes I do still have a lot to learn. Never said I didn't. While I have a working knowledge of DM and the basics of endocrine system to understand diabetic emergencies/complications, I'm still learning the nuts and bolts of being dxd. I never said otherwise. And since I am still new to this, obviously I'm going to go to the ADA first (makes sense wouldn't it?). As far as the carb grams that's simply from knowing I needed to reduce my carbs and not knowing where I needed to be so I've been looking all over from the ADA to forums for DM (gotta start somewhere, correct?). I've only been diagnosed since the 31st so I'm doing a crash course in nutrition (currently trying to understand the glycemic index and how to work with it). For now I'm scrutinizing nutritional labels even more than I was.

Not sure where you got that I said Keto was bullshit, just that I'm not sure about it yet. And I don't intend to automatically trust it because a bunch of people on the internet say it's good. I'm still doing my own research on it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:08:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
my hospital put on a diabetes class that was very informative. our was covered by insurance.
View Quote

CavVet, the VA also has some helpful Diabetes clinics. Ask them about it. They'd rather send you to a class than amputate your feet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:36:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm taking an anatomy and physiology course right now and my professor showed us X-rays of how a talus (foot bone) wears away to nothing in diabetics.  Holy crap was that scary.  

And that's not even going into all the other stuff diabetes can do to a person
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:37:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I can say I am qualified to comment on this thread - I had undiagnosed type 2 diabetes a year and a half ago that lead to me having a stroke.  When I went to the hospital, my blood pressure was 216/116 and my BCG was 285.  The 285 is not bad you might think, but that was after not eating anything for 2 days.  Who knows how high it really was before my body decided to run off the diving board.  After 5 days in the hospital, I came out with very little information and a low dose of insulin.  The best advice was to see a primary care physician, who is a young doctor who is pretty slick and he put me on Metformin, beginning 1000mg twice a day.  I carb counted like a hawk and walked at least a mile or two a day, and things started looking better in just a couple months.  I had to experiment around and find out what worked for me.  The Metformin (whoever posted that it is two hundred dollars a month has a bad pharmacist, it's $4 a month at WalMart or Kroger's here, $10 for a three month supply).  I kicked everything bread and sugar cold-turkey from day one out of the hospital.  I was scared to even eat out for a month.  I stuck absolutely low carb for almost a year, to the point I weaned myself off of Metformin entirely.  I have been diabetes medicine free since last June.  The key is not some magic diet that works for everyone.  You must absolutely find out what works for you.  And it is not always consistent, some days you can eat more than others.  And contrary to all the Keto advice, you CAN have too much protein.  Your BCG will be slightly higher the next morning after a BIG steak than a smaller one.  Proteins eventually get processed into glucose, although a much smoother ride for your body than a sugar rush followed by a crash.  Here are the facts:
View Quote

sometimes e-rxs get sent in for the OSM metformin by mistake.  ask your pharmacist for the cash price on #180 of OSM metformin 1000mg...  you'll shit
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#46]
HEB has fruit preserves that are 7g carbs, 6 grams sugar.  That's about half of normal kid jelly.  Taste great too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#47]
The bet is up to $200 now and nobody has taken it yet.  If someone is type II, reads Robb wolfs paleo solution, does it for 30 days, and is still diabetic, I'll pay them the money.

Op has first shot.  Then anyone else.  Only one person.

Caution: It isn't easy.

ETA:  it's been a while; let's make it $300 going forward.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Op, I know your post was primarily sarcastic in nature, but  you have obviously struck a nerve with many people.  I am type II myself, and was most fortunate to have a young doctor who sat me down and had a long talk with me about the long term effect of diabetes. He told me to give up the carbs as much as I could stand, and my body would take care of the rest.  That was two years ago and I currently run an A1C of 5.7 and my blood sugar averages ~80. I am down to 500mg of Metformin once a day.

I have no difficulty with the low carb lifestyle (now), but am depressed at times that I found out so late.   I already suffer from peripheral neuropathy and peripheral artery disease and it is not fun.  My problem with type II is that you feel nothing until the physical damage has progressed to a pretty much irreversible state.

Always remember that diabetes don't play!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#49]
You can eat anything on the Keto diet and not set your sugar off. I'm a type 2 and no longer take any meds. my sugar was rocking 200-300 range with out meds.  Now im good with out any meds.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
While I was never big into pastas and breads in the first place, changing my diet hasn’t really been that big of a chore or even hard to get used to. Despite my pathological fear of needles, I'm even getting used to the finger sticks. The problem arises though because of my love for PB&J’s…specifically peanut butter with strawberry preserves. I have so much love for the stuff. I used to eat it homemade growing up. The major downside are the sugars. It’s loaded with them, and while I've made a concerted effort to go sugar free, unlike diet soda, I just can’t do it. Sugar free strawberry preserves are BULLSHIT! They taste fucking horrible. It’s like putting congealed strawberry kool-aid on a sandwich and that’s just not right.

Fuck anyone who thinks sugar free Smuckers, Polanar or whatever other brand is a good substitute. Ya’ll commie fucks can take those jars of slop and shove ‘em up your asses.

I need a new solution to get my strawberry preserve fix.
View Quote

Make your own....add just enough sugar to make it work for you.....

It's not hard, (I'm not diabetic, but I use that and use about half the sugar of the regular pectin...), and it turns out excellent.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top