Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes. I went to a more normal schedule a couple months ago. (Working every day, but sleeping nights!)

We have a lot of things almost complete which will begin to hit in the next few updates, along with bug fixes and tweaks. For example the mobile "bandwidth lite" version should be ready with this next update. Team members will be able to disable avatars (and signatures) for posts in mobile views. This will help save more battery life, use less mobile bandwidth, and take up less vertical space on phones.

Few other items hopefully will tie up or be close to done soon. I have lost a bit of time the past month being real sick, but things are moving pretty smoothly again.
View Quote
Any chance of ignoring individual avatars?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:For example the mobile "bandwidth lite" version should be ready with this next update. Team members will be able to disable avatars (and signatures) for posts in mobile views. This will help save more battery life, use less mobile bandwidth, and take up less vertical space on phones.
View Quote
This would be fantastic, can't wait to check it out! I wouldn't mind the same kind of efficiency on the desktop version either, but with the phone it's much much more important. I'm often in a building with really crappy data signal on my phone, and I have a data plan with just 2GB of data per month, so getting rid of unecessary extra fluff would be greatly appreciated.  Keep up the good work GB, it IS appreciated!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Can we get an option to disable gif images?
Also a being able to search our own posts would be nice.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#4]
It is a royal pain trying to list URLs here.

When I try and make a link to:

brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ar-15-m16a1-lower-receiver-prod88173.aspx

But I include the http://www. in front of it, the board converts it to some broken link that has something to do with avantlink or something or other like this:

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j3u8cmejkq00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Faspx%2Fgeneral%2FError404.aspx%3F404%3Bhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%3A80%2Frifle-parts%2Freceiver-parts%2Freceivers%2Flower-receivers%2Far-15-m16a1-lower-receiver-prod88173.aspx

And the link is totally borked up.

I wish the forum did not screw with links.

Steve
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
June 1 all of my ARFcom RSS feeds in Feedly stopped working.  Do I need to do anything particular to get them going again?  When I click on the feed in Feedly, it says "Wrong feed URL or dead feed".  Thanks in advance.  The rest of the updates look great and I love the new post highlight.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]
What do the circled items pertain to at the bottom of the forum pref's?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#7]
About a week ago this RSS feed stopped working and has not been fixed.  For example the following feed for the AK parts, now when you check it, it just goes to the forum index page https://www.ar15.com/forums/index.html

https://www.ar15.com/forums/rss.html?b=7&f=123

can someone check it out?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#9]
When you insert a YouTube video to a post, the hyperlink that's generated brings you to an incorrect page and tries downloading something if you click the reload button (on desktop).
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey GB, I logged on to standard ARF on my phone and now I can't bring back mobile.

help me, you're my only hope...
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey GB, I logged on to standard ARF on my phone and now I can't bring back mobile.

help me, you're my only hope...
View Quote
Scroll all the way to the bottom.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Scroll all the way to the bottom.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@GoatBoy Still not saving.

I checked the "Admin reports" box below it (as it wasn't checked before) and it will save...so it's actually save something's. But it won't save the option to send me an email for a new IM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't tried the highlight, but the email for new IMs isn't saving for me.
@GoatBoy Still not saving.

I checked the "Admin reports" box below it (as it wasn't checked before) and it will save...so it's actually save something's. But it won't save the option to send me an email for a new IM.
It shows as unchecked for me but I got an email yesterday when I received an IM.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#15]
In forum preferences I have "highlight self" set to yes and it's not working if page is supposed to be green because it's the same as always.
"Highlight author" is set to yes and working with a yellow page, and I can toggle it off and on setting it to yes or no.
But I'm having no such luck with highlight self. Signed off and signed back in Emptied my history and cookies and no joy.
Just a FYI in case others are having the same problem.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For example the mobile "bandwidth lite" version should be ready with this next update. Team members will be able to disable avatars (and signatures) for posts in mobile views. This will help save more battery life, use less mobile bandwidth, and take up less vertical space on phones.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's another request to fix the RSS feeds, which appeared to break on 6/1/17.  As others have reported, FeedHQ tells me my RSS addresses are not valid RSS feeds.

Thanks!

--Gene
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Can we get more poll options? only having 6 choices isn't enough.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#19]
GB is there any way to get Chrome on a Samsung Tabll to display/allow access to more than just the first six albums in our media library?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Any word on the RSS feeds?  They've been redirecting for a couple weeks now.

Redirecting to: http://www.ar15.com/forums/index.html
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Why, when I go to attach an image from my media library to a post, do I only see 6 albums to choose from when I have more than that?

How do I get to those other albums to attach an image?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I suppose its always been this way, but is it possible to keep subscribed threads pointing to posts when they are archived instead of just disappearing, perhaps never to be found again.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Op highlighting works for me, but self highlighting doesn't.

Yes, I have both turned on.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think mine works either.  OP highlighting does, but I don't think the self highlighting has ever worked for me.

And I also have both on, using Chrome.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't think mine works either.  OP highlighting does, but I don't think the self highlighting has ever worked for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Working for me, I like it.  Now if we could get a way to tag other people on a list.  

Goatboy, I appreciate all your hard work on this.  I didn't like the changeover at first, but you have made enough changes for me to come around.  (Now if you'll just find a way for me to tag morons and communists)  Thank you for listening to all of the membership here.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:01:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Am I missing something or does the search function now only search by community?  I can't find the option to search just within an individual forum as opposed to a whole community.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Is there a limit to the number of pictures in our media folders?  When I put 140 pictures in one folder it would only show one page.  The button at the bottoms to go to the next page or select other pages disappeared.  As soon as I deleted one photo the buttons would reappear.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Self highlighting isn't working on Safari or Firefox with my iPhone...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I haven't kept up with this thread so I apologize if these have already been discussed.  

I'd like to see:

-Notification when you are quoted (similar to the @username feature)

-The ability to hide entire threads.  If it is something I have no interest in reading then I just hide it and it doesn't appear in the list of topics.  Some stuff I know immediately I will be skipping over  ->  hit hide button and it's gone

-A "topics I've replied to" button (similar to My Topics) that list all the threads you've participated in for the past 48?? hours.  Hit the "topics I've replied to" button, see a list of threads you have replied to in the past 2 days, and hit green arrow to jump to 1st unread.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#30]
How 'bout some old timer flair?  Badge for member over 10 years?

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#31]
IM messages are not displaying correctly for me. Quotes don't show correctly and the bottom half of the message is cut off.

It worked fine last time I used the IM feature a couple of months ago.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Posted to the Site Help Forums » Tech Support reposting it here:

It appears the board code may be altering certain Amazon URL links. One user has noticed certain Amazon.com links actually end up as Amazon.ca and take the user to the Canadian Amazon web site not the US version. Further the board code seems to be appending/modifying certain Amazon links to add "?tag=vglnk-c102-20" to the end of the URL, in some cases dropping the "/" at the end of the URL.

See the discussion on this issue starting with this post in the Free Kindle Books thread. See my post made just today with more testing on trying to figure out what is happening, see this post. Rather than repost it again here see my post in that thread that contains several screen captures showing the issue.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#33]
IM changes are good, but an increase in message retention would be good.  After 14 years on the site, documenting prior deals and convos is becoming laborious when limited to 250 messages.  

I don't think it's a server capacity issue since all messages combined are less than a single photo upload.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#39]
First to try the no avatars on mobile!

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Clicked on no avatars on my phone, got the little confirmation message on the screen...and it's still loading / displaying avatars. Nexus 6, pure Android so....
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for fixing the Twitter links.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#43]
No avatars is a start but still not as good as old mobile site IMO.   Saves some bandwidth, but still have all that wasted blank space on the side.

edit- and just curious, why only available on a "mobile" device?

edit x2- Is this not site/multi forum wide option?  I keep needing to go and reset it to disable in multiple forums/threads?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks Goatboy!  

Finally an update that's actually an improvement.   I may have to get a paid membership again.0
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There should be a paging option. Is it not showing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GB is there any way to get Chrome on a Samsung Tabll to display/allow access to more than just the first six albums in our media library?
There should be a paging option. Is it not showing?
it doesn't show on my tablet or on my desktop (both use Chrome).
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's stored in a cookie on your phone, which I assume is not the issue because you are still logged in. (Also cookie to help keep session info!) That leaves the most likely culprit to be cached pages or the phone failing to identify itself properly as a mobile platform. Are you using a standard browser?
View Quote
Yeah, I'm not sure what I was messing up last night but it works perfectly now. Thanks GB! Definitely better without avatars / user info.

About thing that would help on mobile is if there was a smaller txt size available. "Very small" or whatever the smallest one is now is more than large enough for those of us with BIG mobile devices. Any way a "tiny" txt size option could be added?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#47]
I still find it cumbersome (on my phone in mobile view) while scrolling if I hit "user info" or "quote" it stops the scrolling. 

Is there any way to fix this? Maybe require a longer touch? Or a double touch or something?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Just FYI this morning the avatars started showing up again. Had to click to disable. Chrome on iOS.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Yeah, I am getting avatars sometimes and not others...with no apparent rhyme or reason. Chrome v58.0.3029.83. Android 7.0.0.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top