BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have not driven one. The feedback I'm getting is they are small. Something about not being able to open back gate without the keyfob in your hand.

Also hearing something about exhaust leaks into the main cabin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only reason why we bought some Explorers is because of the Tahoe price increase.

Nobody wants to move into them though.

What's wrong with the Explorers?

I have not driven one. The feedback I'm getting is they are small. Something about not being able to open back gate without the keyfob in your hand.

Also hearing something about exhaust leaks into the main cabin.

With mine, I think its a 2016, you either can open the back hatch from the inside pushbutton which unlocks the rear hatch for a short time. I never timed it but it is probably 15-20 seconds.
To open the hatch with a key in the hatch door, you have to turn the key while using the rear hatch handle which necessitates using 2 hands at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll be rocking my '03 crown vic (non-PI) until it falls apart. They're such a great value. Parts are cheap and plentiful, they're not complex, easy access to most things, most issues were straightened out in the 92-97 models. They don't do anything particularly well but they aren't particularly bad anywhere either. It's the LOG of cars. It's better than bad, its good! . It's perfect for an around town couch on wheels to get too and from work though. I've thought about picking up another low mileage '05-'11 non-PI panther but I think it's time to move on after owning two.

I've had a couple new taurus and explorer rentals and I can see what everyone's saying about the newer ones in this thread. I really wanted to get a SHO or ecoboost taurus but the sills on those things are so high the visibility feels really bad. Rear visibility seemed particularly in the explorer, at least trying to back it up. Being up higher it does have a much better view through the front 3 quadrants though and it is roomier which can add up quickly when you've got a duty belt on and there's a SCMODS installed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#3]
To all the LEO's here............I have heard rumors around here that they are going to be made again.

Rumors but factory people have said they think it might happen.................we'll see...................
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I've wanted a updated Vic forever but I doubt it will ever come back as the body on frame Goliath. Most likely just revive the name on a current platform. A Coyote powered sedan would be cool but pretty soon I fear V8s are going to be ultra rare.

As a big guy I have always driven trucks and suvs because of the room.  I hate that the big cars now are all substantially smaller than they used to be. Seems like you have to go to the high end luxury world to get a big sedan and they are priced to the moon.

When Chevy did the SS I was hoping it would sell well but it started over 40K so sales were pretty slow understandably. I've thought about digging up a newer Caprice because as mentioned it would make a great sleeper if you had a trouble free one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Ha so no different then the vic with exhaust leak
I got a 2010 Vic and it leaks.

Our new exploreres were ordered keys only. So gotta have the key.

I think they are much more roomy then Vic at 6'4'' 240.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Seeing things on social media that the Crown Vic is coming back in 2018.

Chevy had a huge price increase in the Tahoes. The stretch Taurus is not catching on officers are not liking the Explorers.

Any insiders have information?
View Quote

For sure its not happening. MY18 is 6 months out. Crown Vic would have been announced long ago. Takes 3 years to crank out a car.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Lincoln needs a new Town Car too. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I would prefer to see our public servants driving something more economical to purchase and operate. Something like the Honda Fit, for example, or perhaps an offering from Kia.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Ford's been pushing the "let us drive for you" features way too hard lately. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Those are used as LEO vehicles?
View Quote

The Magnum was available in a police package before the Charger was available to law enforcement.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I could stand to see the Crown Vic stay gone.

Only because I don't want to go back from an SUV to a sedan and I KNOW the powers that be would buy the shit out of them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I would love a Corwn Vic sized car, with a slightly smaller trunk to move the rear seat back and the front seat back allowing more front seat room.  Put the 5.0 Coyote in it, make it AWD, and you have a winner.  But it isn't going to happen.

I can't stand the Explorer, feels like driving a Dodge Grand Caravan with a bit more power.  Front seat needs a redesign for my gun to sit in better, and with all the electronics, rifle and other crap big guys feel cramped.

Our Tahoes seem to be constantly in the shop and turn like a bus and the interiors are falling apart with less than 100k on them.

I drive a Ram.  Turns like a bus, but the Hemi has plenty of power.  It has been reliable, except for the lock actuators on the Rambox.  Gas mileage sucks, but the drivers seat is comfortable, and there is plenty of room. It does have a few blind spots, but god forbid you move your head and body to look around.  I rarely have to turn on the 4WD to get around in the snow, but I did throw 6 sandbags in the bed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We have been getting Chargers pretty cheap. Rumor is around 22k, with no lights radio's, etc.
View Quote

I just bought...okay, not ME but I do the buying of patrol cars for PD...two 2017 Charger AWD Hemi...

STATE OF MI CONTRACT# 071B1300010
SPEC. # -0011 2017 Dodge Charger Police Package AWD $24,052.00
ADD:
AV2 Intergrated Display *** $1,994.00
GUK Heated Exterior Mirrors $60.00

You can peruse the State of Michigan STATE BID PRICING for all patrol vehicles if you like.  

Search MiDeal and vehicles...public knowledge.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just bought...okay, not ME but I do the buying of patrol cars for PD...two 2017 Charger AWD Hemi...

STATE OF MI CONTRACT# 071B1300010
SPEC. # -0011 2017 Dodge Charger Police Package AWD $24,052.00
ADD:
AV2 Intergrated Display *** $1,994.00
GUK Heated Exterior Mirrors $60.00

You can peruse the State of Michigan STATE BID PRICING for all patrol vehicles if you like.  

Search MiDeal and vehicles...public knowledge.
View Quote

Guys here would shit if they knew what we paid for diesel brodozers (light rescue and brush trucks) through state bid. If only I could buy POVs through it.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Crown Victoria CVPI that I picked up with 80,000 miles on it
and now it has 312,000 miles on it. I've changed out the oil cooler,
alternator, water pump, radiator and the heater core and just last
weekend the lower ball joint on the passenger side.

It still cranks right up and runs like a champ.

The trunk space and cabin space is the reason that so many
older people love the Mercury version in the Marquis. Everything
is the same under the hood and they are perfect on long rides as
long as you don't have those short and low seats they put in the
90's interceptors (which I have in the one with 312,000 thousand.

I bet a friend I could get the car to over 250,000 miles and now
the bet is to get it to 350,000 miles. Parts are cheap and they
are still a decent looking vehicle body style wise IMO.

Check and change your oil and fluids and you can make them
live twice the life of some newer vehicles.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top