Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/20/2017 11:54:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Just rumors, same ones that have been floating around for years.

Ford currently has over 60% of market share, I can't see them changing a whole model line.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
its*

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag for info.  Ford needs to make a replacement to the Panther platform.  Body on Frame, RWD upgrade able to AWD preferably V8.  The Livery and Police market demand it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Eco Boost Crown Vic
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Since they killed the 500 I'm surprised they haven't revived the Vic.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I fuckin' love the Explorer.  Small, fast and manueverable.  Sit higher up and much quicker to exit in a pinch.  I hope they keep it...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#9]
POC will be excited, they love pimpin in them cars
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since they killed the 500 I'm surprised they haven't revived the Vic.
View Quote
The 500 was their attempt at renaming the Taurus, it failed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Seeing things on social media that the Crown Vic is coming back in 2018.

Chevy had a huge price increase in the Tahoes. The stretch Taurus is not catching on officers are not liking the Explorers.

Any insiders have information?
View Quote

How is the new Caprice selling? gm fleet only.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Officers here friggin love the explorers
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh please god no. Knowing Ford It will have the 4.6L taxi package still, be long in the tooth, hard plastics everywhere, exploding gas tank, slow as balls, and paint that flakes off.

Then they'll hold onto the same design for 30 years.

No no no.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Utility Police Interceptor is out selling Sedan and everything else.

Everybody wants the SUV.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Myself, I like the AWD Explorer.  Shaved almost minute off my track time once I became used to it. You simply CANNOT throw that thing off a serpentine track.  That said, I have a soft spot for the CV.

Tahoes are great for the L&W guys etc,  but for patrol they need MUCH better brakes and something needs to be done about the blind spots.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I fuckin' love the Explorer.  Small, fast and manueverable.  Sit higher up and much quicker to exit in a pinch.  I hope they keep it...
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Local police here are still running old Crown Vic's.

They are starting to look like clapped out taxi's.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Gone after 2017.

General Motors will cease production of its Chevrolet Caprice police sedan after building the rear-wheel drive patrol car for six model years in Australia.

Law enforcement agenices can submit orders for 2017 Caprice PPV (Police Patrol Vehicle) sedans through the end of February, said Rita Kass-Shamoun, a GM Fleet spokesperson.
View Quote

We never got any of them here.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#21]
After being in a Tahoe I don't know that I could survive being back in a car full time.  I don't believe my knees could handle it. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Officers here friggin love the explorers
View Quote

Specially the AWD EcoBoost.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#23]
It seemed foolish that Ford quit making it in the first place, considering the LE market.

What is it about the Explorers that y'all do NOT like?
Conversely, what makes the Crown Vic your first choice?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Let's look at this logically...

Ford announced the Bronco is coming back for model year 2020. So 2 plus years on, and were are talking about a vehicle that will be made with existing parts, tooling and on current manufacturing lines.

The Panther platform(Crown Vic) was discontinued back in 2011 due to its aging platform was at the end of it's lifespan. It could not be made to effectively and efficiently meet new government CAFE and safety standards.(Never-mind the slumping sales in the years prior and for it's last model year it was sold in the Middle-East only.)

The St. Thomas Assembly where these cars were produced was shuttered, and all of it's tooling was sold off. If a new Crown Vic was to be made, it would only share the model name, a new car would have to designed from the ground up, on new production lines. And with Ford stating they have a goal of integrating Ford's and Ford Europe's model lines, I cannot see them building a brand new car that would really only have a desire to fleet buyers.

I love Crown Vic's, I've owned 5 Panthers, but they ain't coming back.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Versatility is the general answer.  It has a large trunk with plenty of room for your crap.  It isn't the fastest thing out there but it is fast enough for most stuff.  And they are nearly indestructible.  My Tahoe will out-handle and outrun a crown vic but I'd take a vic into places I would never dream of bringing my Tahoe. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tag for info.  Ford needs to make a replacement to the Panther platform.  Body on Frame, RWD upgrade able to AWD preferably V8.  The Livery and Police market demand it.
View Quote

If they made it a turbo 6 AWD with a manual I'd be down at the stealership tomorrow.

Doesn't even have to be body on frame. Just has to be RWD based. I despise sideways engines.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Seeing things on social media that the Crown Vic is coming back in 2018.

Chevy had a huge price increase in the Tahoes. The stretch Taurus is not catching on officers are not liking the Explorers.

Any insiders have information?
View Quote

My neighbor is a local cop and part of his job is to care for the fleet of cars.  We're about 120 officers so probably about 60-65 cars.  

He said the guys love the Explorers because of the all wheel drive.  Maybe that's just his opinion though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#30]
My local department has almost completely phased out the CVPIs, all sedans, utilities, and Tahoes. There's a couple F150s they used to use for beach patrol but I think they gave them all to accident investigation. According to some other social media posts, the 2018 CV rumor popped up last year but was debunked.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#31]
God, I hope so.

I've had Crown Vics most of my career.  Got issued a 2014 Interceptor almost two years ago and I hate the thing.  It DOES handle a little better than the Crown Vic and I like the AWD.  But the ergonomics are terrible.  I swear the only cops that test drove them during the design process must have been under 5'6" and under 150lbs.  Getting into and out of it is a feat of contortion for me and I've had neck problems since switching to it.  Visibility is also horrible.

My agency issued them from 2012 until 2016.  We've now switched over to new Explorers only.  Haven't sat in one of those yet as they're all being issued to "brass" and FTO's first.  Supposedly, those will eventually replace the remaining Crown Vics in the fleet, then start replacing the Interceptors with them.  The Interceptors will then be "de-striped" and issued to detectives.

Always said they should have kept the Crown Vic but added the AWD and some of the Interceptor tech to it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Good because those current incepters are garbage. Unless of course you are 5' 7" to about 5'11" and skinny as fucking rail. Its another reason many departments use the SUVs the average or above average officer can actually fit and not have to be a contortionist to get in and out of the damn thing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#33]
What's wrong with the Explorers?

They sit up higher, and seem pretty quick.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't buy it.

The Crown Vic was a pig. Had horrible gas mileage, and slow as hell.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How is the new Caprice selling? gm fleet only.
View Quote

Problem with the Caprices is they are made overseas, and their turn around time blows.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#36]
The taurus does everything better, but space and ergonomics suck.  B pillar too far forward, can't stretch legs,

Who fucked up the turn signal operation...wtf. Fix that shit.

Make a 330HP AWD Crown Vic.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It seemed foolish that Ford quit making it in the first place, considering the LE market.

What is it about the Explorers that y'all do NOT like?
View Quote

The exhaust leaks into the cabin, and for an AWD vehicle they are absolute shit in the snow.  Leg room is lacking if your over 6', and frequent transmission issues.  

The high points are the handling, cargo room, and the higher stance makes the dismount much faster and easier.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#38]
No thanks. During snow storms of any accumulation here, the older CVs sit stuck while the AWD Tauruses handle the workload with ease.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Given a choice, would you rather have the Tahoe or CV?
I'd think the prior, but I'm not LE

Just curious.
I have no affiliation with Ford, GM, or anyone else in the automotive industry.
I do have a few friends in LE, I'll ask them about it too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No thanks. During snow storms of any accumulation here, the older CVs sit stuck while the AWD Tauruses handle the workload with ease.
View Quote

I have spun out in a Taurus going around a curve at a slow speed.

Never done that in a Tahoe.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#43]
In for the Photo-shopped pics of a Charger with a blue oval on it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing. I've been in a Tahoe for about 3 years now and really wish they'd give us explorers
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I used to be a Vic fan until I got a Charger. It was a night and day difference.

The explorers have uncomfortable seats, get horrible gas mileage, have small gas tanks, have no left leg room, shift funny, have funny headlight beam patterns, etc. The exhaust gas leaking into the cabin is real and ford is being ford by not doing a recall on the exhaust manifolds.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nothing. I've been in a Tahoe for about 3 years now and really wish they'd give us explorers
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be happy with the tahoes. They are much, much better than explorers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I wish it was true but I doubt it will happen.

I'm not LE but I love the panther platform.  I'm going to buy used Grand Marquis sedans as my daily drivers until I can't find one in good shape anymore.  Nobody thinks it's a "cool" car and I catch shit for driving it, but...

1) Low mileage good condition cars are cheap!
2) Reliable
3) Gas mileage is actually good for what it is (in my opinion)
4) Comfortable
5) V8
6) Lots of longevity, you can ride them well past 200k
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I can speak directly for me and I can repeat what I've heard directly from 8-10 Sioux Falls PD and South Dakota State Troopers-

I like the Explorer the best because it is taller and has more room. I can enter and exit the vehicle very well and I'm 73 inches tall and 250 lbs. The Charger is way too low for my liking and the doors swing waaaay out making for a long stretch to grab them to close after entry. The Charger is also quite cramped. The Taurus is only slightly better than the Charger in terms of entry and exit, but just as cramped inside.

Performance wise, they all three are well enough in Sioux Falls, they all scoot along and corner just fine. In winter weather the Explorer has the edge with AWD, but depending on the tires they could no better than a FWD car. Out on the road in a high speed situation I'll take either the Charger or Taurus over the Explorer as they are more stable. None of them compare to the Crown Vic in terms of performance.

The PD officers and state troopers I know echo the same things I've said about the above three models.

With that all being said, I got in to LE back in 2001 when the Caprice and Crown Vic ruled the show. A few of the Caprices had the LT1 motors and they were coveted for the sprints, but the Crown Vics still had the trophy as "best/better" for over the road handling. Circa 2004 the Chevy Impala came along and departments could be 6 or 7 Impalas for 5 Crown Vics. After a year it was learned that the maintenance costs on those Impalas were over DOUBLE that of a Crown Vic so the back to the Crown Vics they went.  I couldn't stand the Impalas.

If Ford does bring back the Crown Vic Interceptor and they use the Ecoboost V6 along with keeping the big, fast, and stable mindset the Crown Vic is known for it will be a winner, do doubt. Though... for me personally, I'd hope to keep the Explorer for the comfort. :)

... oh, look at that.... I need to figure out a "post # 5000" topic.   :D
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Interesting.  If they are cheaper than the Chargers I can see them taking the market back.
View Quote

What about the Charger wagons/Magnums?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#50]
With turbo 4 and 6cyl SUV's that have plenty of power, are roomier, get better economy and sit HIGHER up giving Police better visibility I couldn't imagine many departments going back to cars after having been in a SUV such as the explorer.  I could see use for highway patrol but that's about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top