BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LOL

A board certified neurosurgeon has no business providing post op instructions that will prevent their patient from suffering a devastating injury by damaging implanted hardware and surrounding vertebrae/spinal cord?

The American Board of Neurological Surgery certainly can improve outcomes by having their docs skip post op instructions and just refer patients to this thread
View Quote
Just ignore him, his post is exactly why he got ignored by me.

I'll let the actual experts talk and not the angry internet experts of nothing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm almost 290lbs and can do pushups.     I've never been on a bench before...so no idea what I can 'bench press'
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just ignore him, his post is exactly why he got ignored by me.

I'll let the actual experts talk and not the angry internet experts of nothing.
View Quote

Actual expert? Get on my level

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#4]
here's an old 385 bench
https://www.instagram.com/p/9FWV9IPFxC/

I think the most I've ever benched 225 for was like maybe 22 or 23?

here's a newish 530 squat
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQei3qJjzgH/?taken-by=ecreps

here's a newish 600lb deadlift
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMVEY03D0IE/?taken-by=ecreps

I compete in Powerlifting competitions, but I'm not actually very good at it comparatively.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Doctors need to stay in their fucking lane, it's their job to fix your shit not tell you how to live

I'm sick of the guys that think being a GP prolonging the disgusting lives of a bunch of fat blobs gives them insight on how to be a high performance human
View Quote

My doc just doesn't want to kill me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
here's an old 385 bench....
View Quote

Hell yeah man bad ass.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Fuck no. I am 165 dripping wet and its been 15+ years since I have been inside a gym. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#8]
not since I blew out my shoulder
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#9]
After reading this thread I went to work out. I have a major back issue, if I move wrong or twist the wrong way I get major pain, but I still lift, just very carefully and light. I usually just do reps with 185 but went up to 205 yesterday. I got 8 easy reps with 205, so no doubt I could do 225 for at least 1 rep. I just don't want to anymore with my fucky back. I'll be 60 in July less than a year ago 225 was my work out weight for 5-8 reps of 3 sets. Time waits for no one though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Last time I bench pressed anything was my freshman year in high school. 

I have better things to do than pick things up and put them down.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes. 47 years old. 5' 10" 266lbs as of an hour ago. I vary my workouts by cycling between heavy weight/low reps for 10-12 weeks and low weight/high reps for 8-10 weeks. Been doing this for almost 4 years now. Been lifting off and on since high school.

Two weeks ago I was putting up 315 for 8 reps for my last set of 4. 225/245/275 were the other three sets.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's an older video of me putting up 405.

Bench press 355, 375, 385, 405, 415

Can't do it now, got 350 pretty easily the other day but then again I have lost over 20 pounds since that video.

The last time I got over 400 was about 5 months ago, and it was with no pause, and 4 months post op for a wrist surgery.

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPek2476KGo

Can't do it now, got 350 pretty easily the other day but then again I have lost over 20 pounds since that video.

The last time I got over 400 was about 5 months ago, and it was with no pause, and 4 months post op for a wrist surgery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVcihLuvssE
View Quote

That's badass. I was wondering how long it would take you to put one of your 400+ bench vids up. A not fat guy benching that much probably has about 3/4 of GD stumped right now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Was doing some reading and came across this article.  While it is hardly scientific, he does make some good points.
Plus it makes me feel good about myself, so there's that!  
Can you bench press 225lbs or more?
Bench 225lbs
UPDATE: Alright fellas.  Lots of big talkers in this thread.  Time to start posting proof.  Let's see some videos of you benching 225lbs or more.
UPDATE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH6tIDT-euo
View Quote
I'll post a vid later if I can get one at the gym.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#16]
175 is probably my max but I can do a set of 75+ pushups, makes no sense.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You make that look easy!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPek2476KGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVcihLuvssE
View Quote

Nice!

LoL, this is why I don't do power lifting.  Last time I put up 405, I was weighing around 230-235.  You strong fuckers can do it at a lot lighter bw and guys in the weight range where I'm strongest are throwing up a lot bigger numbers.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nice!

LoL, this is why I don't do power lifting.  Last time I put up 405, I was weighing around 230-235.  You strong fuckers can do it at a lot lighter bw and guys in the weight range where I'm strongest are throwing up a lot bigger numbers.  
View Quote

Yep.  And deadlift is even worse.  Dome dudes can turn into a horseshoe and just pull a massive amount of weight.  I guess they're also doing the horseshoe thing on bench.  

That's why I like strongman.  Don't worry about 1rm, just go all bull in a china shop for a minute.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm 5'10 170 and normally rep about 250 for 3 sets of 4-6.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your not bouncing it off your chest hard enough.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#22]
So I made a video to prove it.  I haven't lifted in about 2 full years.  I did three sets of three @ 225.

However I don't really want to post it because I did not realize just how fucking fat I've become until I watched that video.

So thanks for that, GD thread.  That's the push I needed to get back to work
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I won't post a video but my current bench max is 300 with a strict pause.  I can rep 225 for 12. (Long skinny arms but still making gains).

Current DL=530x2 (A PR just yesterday!)
Current squat=425x3

My goals this year:
350 bench (might be optimistic)
600 DL
500 squat

Lifting is fun!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
175 is probably my max but I can do a set of 75+ pushups, makes no sense.
View Quote
Pushups are mechanically and physiologically different from bench and one-rep-max.  I typically do 74+ pushups each morning; I can knock out handstand pushups; but, I don't even know if I can bench my own weight.  It's just different stuff.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm at 155lbs and 5' 10" tall.

What should my bench be?

I don't have a bench at the moment, and it has been forever since I have tried.

I do use a weight machine at home, but I do not think it's apples to apples.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I did 335 @ 178 lbs when I was in college and "LIFTING WAS LIFE".  15 years, a wife, and 5 kids later, I'm glad my life is about more now.  I keep myself in good shape and wish I had time to do more, but there becomes a point where working out becomes masturbatory.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#27]
I was told I should be able to bench my own weight or more, so I didn't think 225lb was a lot.  I'm 5'7", 200lbs, an almost pull off 4 sets of 10 at 225lbs (usually die off halfway through the 4th set), and I'm not particularly fit.

Because of that, I sort of thought this thread was kind of weird because I'd always imagined most guys on here would be jacked 250lb monsters that could easily bench 350lbs or more.

At work, we should be able to do at least 60 proper push ups without stopping or we will be made fun of.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I did 335 @ 178 lbs when I was in college and "LIFTING WAS LIFE".  15 years, a wife, and 5 kids later, I'm glad my life is about more now.  I keep myself in good shape and wish I had time to do more, but there becomes a point where working out becomes masturbatory.
View Quote

Kids. This is what mediocrity sounds like.

Don't be mediocre.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was told I should be able to bench my own weight or more, so I didn't think 225lb was a lot.  I'm 5'7", 200lbs, an almost pull off 4 sets of 10 at 225lbs (usually die off halfway through the 4th set), and I'm not particularly fit.

Because of that, I sort of thought this thread was kind of weird because I'd always imagined most guys on here would be jacked 250lb monsters that could easily bench 350lbs or more.

At work, we should be able to do at least 60 proper push ups without stopping or we will be made fun of.
View Quote

5'7" 200 lbs and "almost" get 225x10x4? Weak sauce.

Short, fat guys waste their privilege.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Kids do take a lot of time. They are no excuse for not being able to bench 225 though. That's like lifting the bar once a week or something. I am chasing around 4 little ones and I still manage to find time to lift 2-3 days a week. That's enough to maintain a 3 plate bench and 5 plate dead lift and not get fat.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Kids do take a lot of time. They are no excuse for not being able to bench 225 though. That's like lifting the bar once a week or something. I am chasing around 4 little ones and I still manage to find time to lift 2-3 days a week. That's enough to maintain a 3 plate bench and 5 plate dead lift and not get fat.
View Quote

3 plate bench? 5 plate dead? I get 1/2 on each side, but what do you do with the 3rd/5th?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

5'7" 200 lbs and "almost" get 225x10x4? Weak sauce.

Short, fat guys waste their privilege.
View Quote

I thought so..... :(

Ok, less donuts, more gym.  I've gotten my weight down to 175 before, but the winter's been rough and the food's been good.  If this thread is still around in 3 months, I'll post here again.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

3 plate bench? 5 plate dead? I get 1/2 on each side, but what do you do with the 3rd/5th?
View Quote

Lol. Plates each side...is this not accepted terminology nowadays?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ok, less donuts, more gym.  I've gotten my weight down to 175 before, but the winter's been rough and the food's been good.  If this thread is still around in 3 months, I'll post here again.
View Quote

this was basically my exact specs before I lost some weight.

198 lbs, and 5'7"
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Lol. Plates each side...is this not accepted terminology nowadays?
View Quote

I dunno. I don't lift. I just count hay bales.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

fewer*
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

this was basically my exact specs before I lost some weight. Except for the easy 405 bench press.

198 lbs, and 5'7"
View Quote

Lol @ the unintentional burn.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#38]
No, because I allowed myself to get horribly fat and out of condition in the last 10 years. Working on that with the Starting Strength program. I will be able to say yes by the end of the year come hell or high water.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Lol @ the unintentional burn.
View Quote

lol I meant to quote frayedknot's post, oops.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So I made a video to prove it.  I haven't lifted in about 2 full years.  I did three sets of three @ 225.

However I don't really want to post it because I did not realize just how fucking fat I've become until I watched that video.

So thanks for that, GD thread.  That's the push I needed to get back to work
View Quote

I resemble this, except I have been lifting the last 4 months.  I made a video of my "no pause" 280 lb, but no video of the the 285 lb new personal best following it (maybe if I can blot out my face I'll post it to video graphically represent fatties, does anyone really want to see that?)....but that bulge between my belt and chest is UNSIGHTLY.  In my mind, my bench is good for a 190 lb me, but mediocre for the 275 lb me that got on the scale this morning.  You guys putting up 2 X body weight and more are "Elite" by any measure I can find.  Pat yourselves on the back. It's unreasonable to expect everyone to be able to attain that level (genetics and all that).  If we could put everyone on a bell curve my wag is that peak would be around a 1rm of 1 X body weight. IMO it's reasonable to maintain and or get better than your current level if physically able.  My small sample of approximately 8 individuals indicates that those with no time on bench will be unable to press even what's a reasonable body weight for them.  However, they usually attain 1 X body weight in 6 months or less.  So for whatever good it is my bench press is better, now to get the rest of it in a reasonable shape.  Slowly boosting my pathetic post count too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#41]
What gets me the most is their complete and total ability to remember their past. How many times do they need to be persecuted to get it through their heads? They get comfortable and before you know it most are not only willing to give away their rights and ability to protect themselves but actually help with it. Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#42]
These weight lifting threads always make me laugh.  I have enjoyed the proof videos and some real show of strength.   I lift often and heavy sets (well, for a 36 year old who weighs 138 lbs) but I always wonder the size of the guys who imply huge numbers.  Sure my 205 max doesn't meet the criteria of this thread but power to weight ratio is pretty decent.  Just wish people would include their size before we judge their strength.  (I know I know, CSB and big people envy)
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

"No excuse."  lol

225 bench is within the capability of maybe 1% of the population.  Maybe.

Maths:
The number of women who can do it are so few as to be statistically insignificant.  There goes 51%.
Anybody under the age of about 16-17 has no chance.  There goes another 12%.
Over the age of 50 gets dicey as well.  Are there old dudes that can lift?  Yes.  Are there very many?  No.  There goes another 9%
Let's eliminate obesity, too.  Fat guys can be strong, but usually they aren't.  The truly obese, BMI>40, is about one in three adults.  Of the remaining 28%, you just lost 8.

We're already down to one-in-five people that even have a hope, and that's just considering gender, age, and not being obscenely fat.

The average adult height is 5'9", and a normal non-obese weight for that height is around 170-190lb.  Much under 170, and your average Joe is not going to have the muscle to complete a 225 bench.  Yes, there are people lighter than that who can do it, but they've been training for years and aren't statistically relevant.

At average height, and normal weight (we'll say 180lb for a standard here), a 225 bench is 125% of bodyweight.  Here's a rudimentary breakout of lifting standards:  http://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/bench-press/lb

For the average person (and remember, half the population is below average), a 225 bench is "intermediate" level performance.  Take note on how that's defined, though.  The intermediate lifter has lifted regularly and made continual progress for at least two years.  They're stronger than ~50% of people who actually lift.

So from our 20% that could even have a hope if they trained hard at it, we've got half that will be average or above, and half of that that will be intermediate or above, if they train.

So five percent of the population could bench 225 if they trained.

How many people lift?  The CDC says one in five regularly engage in strength training.  This is self-reported, so it's probably actually lower than that (people who say they lift, but don't), but let's run with it.  https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/exercise.htm

So, of the five percent of the population that could possibly do it, only one in those five actually lifts.

Rough numbers here, but about 1% of the population can bench 225.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
These weight lifting threads always make me laugh.  I have enjoyed the proof videos and some real show of strength.   I lift often and heavy sets (well, for a 36 year old who weighs 138 lbs) but I always wonder the size of the guys who imply huge numbers.  Sure my 205 max doesn't meet the criteria of this thread but power to weight ratio is pretty decent.  Just wish people would include their size before we judge their strength.  (I know I know, CSB and big people envy)
View Quote

Sorry,

198 lbs bodyweight, 405 lbs bench with a pause
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

"No excuse."  lol

Maths:
The number of women who can do it are so few as to be statistically insignificant.  There goes 51%.
Over the age of 50 gets dicey as well.  Are there old dudes that can lift?  Yes.  Are there very many?  No.  There goes another 9%
Let's eliminate obesity, too.  Fat guys can be strong, but usually they aren't.  The truly obese, BMI>40, is about one in three adults.  Of the remaining 28%, you just lost 8.

We're already down to one-in-five people that even have a hope, and that's just considering gender, age, and not being obscenely fat.

The average adult height is 5'9", and a normal non-obese weight for that height is around 170-190lb.  Much under 170, and your average Joe is not going to have the muscle to complete a 225 bench.  Yes, there are people lighter than that who can do it, but they've been training for years and aren't statistically relevant.

At average height, and normal weight (we'll say 180lb for a standard here), a 225 bench is 125% of bodyweight.  Here's a rudimentary breakout of lifting standards:  http://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/bench-press/lb

For the average person (and remember, half the population is below average), a 225 bench is "intermediate" level performance.  Take note on how that's defined, though.  The intermediate lifter has lifted regularly and made continual progress for at least two years.  They're stronger than ~50% of people who actually lift.

So from our 20% that could even have a hope if they trained hard at it, we've got half that will be average or above, and half of that that will be intermediate or above, if they train.

How many people lift?  The CDC says one in five regularly engage in strength training.  This is self-reported, so it's probably actually lower than that (people who say they lift, but don't), but let's run with it.  https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/exercise.htm

So, of the five percent of the population that could possibly do it, only one in those five actually lifts.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#46]
I used to be impressed by big #s until my strong ass went to jiujitsu and some 155#  52 YO guy choked me and armbarred the fuck outta me like I was a child.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I used to be impressed by big #s until my strong ass went to jiujitsu and some 155#  52 YO guy choked me and armbarred the fuck outta me like I was a child.
View Quote

I'm in my 2nd week of bjj  as a 265#'er and I'm throwing a 155# guy across the room pretty easily if I really want to.  Now a 200# guy with a purple belt, he had his way with me once I was on my back.  A 255# guy with a white belt and a couple of MMA fights, he was pretty tough to get off me too.  But a tiny guy or a woman is getting catapulted.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sorry,

198 lbs bodyweight, 405 lbs bench with a pause
View Quote

Damn impressive.  I do have a feeling guys doing 2x and up of their body weight are pretty rare...even in the superstar filled world of GD.  Haha.  I hoPE eventually to reach 2x my weight but who knows...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

"No excuse."  lol

Maths:

The average adult height is 5'9", and a normal non-obese weight for that height is around 170-190lb.
View Quote

Im a little shorter than average at 5-8 and a little heavier than average at 195#.   A 225# 1RM is not at all impressive. if you would commit to benching one day a week you could do it in a year.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

"No excuse."  lol

Maths:

View Quote

My son and 3 of his 15 year old friends can 1RM over 250.  I am sure there are high school football players all over the country who can do this.  Strength training has come a long way since I was in high school.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top