Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
In HS yeah. As an adult...not yet. I'm working my way back. I'm at 175 10 reps at a time.  Proud of myself as I started at 95lbs a year ago.
Hardest thing for me is definition. I have none I'm still a fat azz & admit it.  I have to do more cardio but my knees have problems.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're lucky to be alive!
View Quote

real talk, he punched me pretty hard

also, I'd just like to say that all the guys talking about bodyweight ratios would make fun of a Honda fanboy for talking about horsepower per liter...let that soak in
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When I was younger I once picked up a mountain and threw it into the ocean
View Quote

Interesting first post.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I would say the exact thing if my ratios sucked.Duffin thinks ratios are important.
View Quote

My ratios were even worse when I was skinny.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Did yesterday. Been about 10yrs since lifting all the time. I was happy. Could've gone more but I'm trying to slowly get back in shape. Body is slow on recovery
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#6]
This was from when I was weaker.

Girls can bench 225.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In HS yeah. As an adult...not yet. I'm working my way back. I'm at 175 10 reps at a time.  Proud of myself as I started at 95lbs a year ago.
Hardest thing for me is definition. I have none I'm still a fat azz & admit it.  I have to do more cardio but my knees have problems.
View Quote

If you're at 175x10 there is a VERY good chance you would SRM 225 successfully. Go for it!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Torn delt a few years ago, I'm working on it but I'm struggling to get to the 200+ mark.

In most other measures of strength, I'm above average for my age but by no means a specimin.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not really a legitimate question. If you weigh 300 pounds and can bench 225 what does that prove? If you weigh 125 pounds and can bench 225 that is an entirely different matter.

The question should be, can you bench press 1.25 times your body weight, or 1.5 times.
That would be a legitimate question to ask.  I benched 1.25 times my body weight this morning. Weigh 160 and benched 200.
View Quote

Did you bother to read the article?  That's what the OP was based off of.  You don't have to answer, because I know the answer; you didn't, cause reading is hard bro.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Isn't that cheating?

I see guys all the time arching their back off the bench and pushing with legs.  They don't have to go as far. Or they bounce off their chest, or don't fully extend the arms, etc., etc.  seems like cheating to me.

I do a straight bench press with arms and chest.  I don't get as much weight, but I'm not cheating myself either.
View Quote

We call your way" wrong"!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#11]
No. My rotator cuff is fucked.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Bench 225?  Not a chance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No. My rotator cuff is fucked.
View Quote
Out of curiosity, I checked my log of the only time I consistently lifted and most I ever benched was 180.     Now, I have arthritis in my right shoulder and probably couldn't bench 80 lbs.  Come to think of it, my shoulder was bothering me back when I did 180 and that was 10 years ago.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Girls can bench 225.
View Quote

And some girls bench 325.  This lady is impressive.  Go to the 3:00 mark.  I think she hit 317 in a meet in January in the 63kg class.

Liberty University Football Visit with a PR of 325 lb. Bench Press
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#15]
pretty sure i can't.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Only vid I have of me benching from 6 months ago. Topped out at 385lbs paused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9pjnAiIjCg
View Quote

Very nice lift. At my best that was about my top bench. I was best at squats, I cant remember what my best was but I was fairly insane about them

Squats are the most important lift there is.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not really a legitimate question. If you weigh 300 pounds and can bench 225 what does that prove? If you weigh 125 pounds and can bench 225 that is an entirely different matter.

The question should be, can you bench press 1.25 times your body weight, or 1.5 times.
That would be a legitimate question to ask.  I benched 1.25 times my body weight this morning. Weigh 160 and benched 200.
View Quote

^^This is the best point made in this thread, 1.5 time body weight is impressive on bench and i would be willing to bet most people can't even bench their own body weight.

Im close to 1.5 times: 5'10"/181 pounds- bench of 270 and just for the hell of it deadlift 455 and squat was around 335 but heavy axial loading on a back with scoliosis was starting to be painful, front squats only now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Long life of contact sports, collegiate sports, car accidents, crossfit, I have no desire to have a strong bench press.

I'm cycling now and trying to take care of my heart / cardio.  Too many issues with lifting heavy, body already falling apart.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I can do 5-7 reps at 260. My deltoid's acting fucky; otherwise, I'd be moving up a bit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most people that care about ratios are shorter people. It looks better for shorter people and makes them feel better about themselves. I have 2 friends that lift a lot, one is 140 lbs and the other is 150 lbs. Their numbers aren't huge so they are always talking about BW ratios. One is 5'4 and the other 5'5.  I am more interested in a 3-lift total than one single event. I see a lot of people that train curls and bench press and that's about it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'll go ahead and embarrass myself....Probably not.

Lifting weights again after a long time of slacking...currently doing 3 sets of 145 lbs on bench, 10 reps per set when I lift.  

I doubt I could get 225 up right now.  Maybe in another couple of months.

I know, I'm weak.  
View Quote

Doing 3 x 10 of the same weight is not a great way to increase your strength.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Posting that without providing an alternative you think is better is not a great way to motivate me to change what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Posting that without providing an alternative you think is better is not a great way to motivate me to change what I'm doing.
View Quote

Head over to the Self Defense Fitness forum and they will set you straight.

For you, 5x5 would probably be the best way to go. You will be lifting heavier for 5 sets of 5 reps. Every week you go up a little bit. I haven't used the program but it's generally the best recommendation for beginning lifters. An intermediate program would be 5 - 3 -1.
Look here:
https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's bullshit.  I weigh 265#.  It counts less that I can bench 300# because my fucking arms are twice as long and I have to move the bar twice as far as a little midget cheater?  I don't think so.  BW means shit for bench press.  Now other things it may be more relevant.  Like pull-ups you little cheating fuckers.
View Quote

I could almost do my bodyweight as a fat fucker in high school. It should be "easier" for the "smaller" guys, mostly because they have less "ass". I couldn't do my own BW (at 275, like I said, I'm a fatty.) but 250 was enough to be technically stronger than most of the "little" guys at 150 who could bench 220.

I needed way more cardio, my dudes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Used to, after having my wrist rebuilt and having my ulnar never relocated I can't do any heavy lifting.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#26]
No chance right now, about a year out from a course of chemo, so I'm still working back to get where I was before. I'm lucky if I could do 140 right now. My max when I was in a lot better condition was 210 at 155 bodyweight, but as a powerlifting coach I had said, "No one gives a fuck about what you used to be able to lift, what you can do now, and are working towards is all that matters right now."
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Most people that care about ratios are shorter people. It looks better for shorter people and makes them feel better about themselves. I have 2 friends that lift a lot, one is 140 lbs and the other is 150 lbs. Their numbers aren't huge so they are always talking about BW ratios. One is 5'4 and the other 5'5.  I am more interested in a 3-lift total than one single event. I see a lot of people that train curls and bench press and that's about it.
View Quote

I like to rag on little guys.  Bench is highly dependent on range of motion, among other things.  So, arm length, chest height, makes a lot of difference.

Strongman is my sport.  I compete in the heavyweight division 242-275.  Little guys just aren't going to be as strong as heavier guys with functional strength.  That doesn't mean that someone 241 isn't stronger than someone 275.  But the little asian dude, 410# bench press and all, isn't picking up a 400# atlas stone.  Guaranfuckingteed.

And I'd be willing to bet, not something like this:

270# per hand farmers carry

But if he did it would be pretty bad ass.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

tl;dr: I got to 300 srm with primarily 3x10 in one year.

Contrary to (seemingly) popular belief the 3x10 has worked well for me. My dad pushed me in that direction when I started back with the lifting (he was well over 400 srm when younger), and said I'd formulate my own opinions once I had more experience and the 3x10 wasn't "working for me" anymore. I'd say that's totally on point. I hit 300 in year one doing 3x10.

I switch my program now periodically between 3x10, 5x5, a pyramid type approach with high rep/low weight and low rep/high weight in the middle, and taking 1-2 week "breaks" where I only lift light weights. I've found, at least for me, that I can't go extremely hard and be my strongest at any one lift day in day out. I have to "plan" for a SRM; take about 2 weeks to set up for it (reducing reps with higher weight and then eat well and sleep well before the attempt).

There are a lot of people (including some here) that know well more than I do about this, but that's my experience so far.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I mean sure, anything can work. But there are people out there that have figured out the optimal way to train. Just doing whatever won't be as effective.
Doing 10 rep sets isn't an effective way to increase your 1 Rep Max.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Contrary to (seemingly) popular belief the 3x10 has worked well for me. My dad pushed me in that direction when I started back with the lifting (he was well over 400 srm when younger), and said I'd formulate my own opinions once I had more experience and the 3x10 wasn't "working for me" anymore. I'd say that's totally on point. I hit 300 in year one doing 3x10.

I switch my program now periodically between 3x10, 5x5, a pyramid type approach with high rep/low weight and low rep/high weight in the middle, and taking 1-2 week "breaks" where I only lift light weights. I've found, at least for me, that I can't go extremely hard and be my strongest at any one lift day in day out. I have to "plan" for a SRM; take about 2 weeks to set up for it (reducing reps with higher weight and then eat well and sleep well before the attempt).

There are a lot of people (including some here) that know well more than I do about this, but that's my experience so far.
View Quote

What's your BW?

And S/B/D?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I could when I was in high school and I weighed 175. That was 20 years ago. Now? I don't know but I'm going to say yes anyway. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What's your BW?

And S/B/D?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your BW?

And S/B/D?

My ratio is a little embarrassing, but I have a slight knee issue (can run and lift just fine but really loading up the leg stuff makes it hurt). With that said I haven't done a true SRM with my leg work (not in about 15 years anyway)....

Current stats:

198lbs body weight

S335/B370/D425

Again, I know that looks retarded and I might have more in me, but I haven't truly done a squat or dead max in many years. I take it as far as the knee will let me go, and that seems to improve little by little.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I weigh 190.  Trying to get a little stronger but need to start focusing on lower body and dropping about 10 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#35]
74 yrs old I have done a few reps with 65lb dumbbells I feel if I tried 225 on a bench press my elbows or shoulders would explode.
A man has got to know his limitations.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not raw. Belt and wrist wraps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not raw. Belt and wrist wraps.

Belt and wraps count as Raw in most orgs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Not right now
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I used to be able to do it. It would take me a good 6 months to get back to that. My best one-rep max was around 260...which is impressive because I'm a scrawny looking 155lbs. Plus if you're scrawnier you have go deeper...I have a few barrel chested friends that would only need about go down about 8-10" before it hits their chest.

What's funny is after doing free weights for so long, you develop that skill of doing instant weight math the moment you see someone bench pressing on a tv/movie.

Oh...I see two 45s with a 25 on each side. 275lbs..   Even though it's been years since I stepped inside a gym, that mental plate math never goes away.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#39]
lol, and the bar traveled about 4 inches.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My ratio is a little embarrassing, but I have a slight knee issue (can run and lift just fine but really loading up the leg stuff makes it hurt). With that said I haven't done a true SRM with my leg work (not in about 15 years anyway)....

Current stats:

198lbs body weight

S335/B370/D425

Again, I know that looks retarded and I might have more in me, but I haven't truly done a squat or dead max in many years. I take it as far as the knee will let me go, and that seems to improve little by little.
View Quote

I was wondering if I could gig you on your lower lifts.

Can you sit back more to stay out of the knees and still hit below parallel? Or box squats.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Belt and wraps count as Raw in most orgs.
View Quote

See my Duffin reference, then go watch his RAAAAAWWWW! video.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I used to be able to do it. It would take me a good 6 months to get back to that. My best one-rep max was around 260...which is impressive because I'm a scrawny looking 155lbs. Plus if you're scrawnier you have go deeper...I have a few barrel chested friends that would only need about go down about 8-10" before it hits their chest.

What's funny is after doing free weights for so long, you develop that skill of doing instant weight math the moment you see someone bench pressing on a tv/movie.

Oh...I see two 45s with a 25 on each side. 275lbs..   Even though it's been years since I stepped inside a gym, that mental plate math never goes away.
View Quote

What if it's a nonstandard bar?

BOOM! MYTH BUSTED!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I only do cardio, zombies you know.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

99% of doctors don't know shit about lifting weights and have no business providing any recommendations to a patient regarding strength training. But most doctors think they know everything.
View Quote

Doctors need to stay in their fucking lane, it's their job to fix your shit not tell you how to live

I'm sick of the guys that think being a GP prolonging the disgusting lives of a bunch of fat blobs gives them insight on how to be a high performance human
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We have stronger hearts though bro.  Good luck with your heart attack goals of 2017.
View Quote

At my weight I've raced 50 mile mountain bike races and road races and currently ride just for fun- for now . What was that about stronger hearts ?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Probably not so I voted no. I could do 250 once and did 185 10x the other day but my shoulder hurt from rep 1.  Doc said it probably not worth the surgery/rehab at 41y/o.  I'm no pro athlete and I get along fine with it in everyday life so not spending the $ and pain. 6'3" 200 and just working on being somewhat fit and 190.

I do believe a cross section of the US represented in ar15.com would have a higher percentage able to bench 225.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Doctors need to stay in their fucking lane, it's their job to fix your shit not tell you how to live

I'm sick of the guys that think being a GP prolonging the disgusting lives of a bunch of fat blobs gives them insight on how to be a high performance human
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

99% of doctors don't know shit about lifting weights and have no business providing any recommendations to a patient regarding strength training. But most doctors think they know everything.

LOL

A board certified neurosurgeon has no business providing post op instructions that will prevent their patient from suffering a devastating injury by damaging implanted hardware and surrounding vertebrae/spinal cord?

The American Board of Neurological Surgery certainly can improve outcomes by having their docs skip post op instructions and just refer patients to this thread
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

LOL

A board certified neurosurgeon has no business providing post op instructions that will prevent their patient from suffering a devastating injury by damaging implanted hardware and surrounding vertebrae/spinal cord?

The American Board of Neurological Surgery certainly can improve outcomes by having their docs skip post op instructions and just refer patients to this thread
View Quote

get back to me when your board of nimbys can implant deus ex level augmentations, maybe then you'll find the outcome of my give-a-fuck game more favorable
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

LOL

View Quote

I am not debating post op care. Though one might question the conservative approach and how it prolongs recovery.

In my experience, orthos and PTs get tunnel vision because their typical patient is a bariatric and/or geriatric, sedentary human. They do not know how to handle someone like me. My PTA was shocked when I asked to increase the weight on my exercises and had a prolonged consult with the PT. Apparently that is rather unusual. But I understand the Stress-Recovery-Adaptation cycle. I quit going to the PT. And ignored the advice of my ortho and PT. I went from not being able to get myself off the floor to being now stronger than pre-neck disc blowout. And I'm pain/discomfort free...unless I do something stupid.

And my experience is not unique. Just a little bit of reading/research online (startingstrength.com is a good start) reveals many similar cases. Speaking of Starting Strength...several of the coaches are MDs or DPTs who are putting out some of the best info on injury prevention/rehab through strength training.

This was my inspiration to ignoring my docs and lifting heavy again to rehab my neck.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

get back to me when your board of nimbys can implant deus ex level augmentations, maybe then you'll find the outcome of my give-a-fuck game more favorable
View Quote

The pace of digital/immersion tech advancement is notable.  Some savvy developers are already contributing in the medical field.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top