[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Too much clothing.
View Quote

PM for dick pics.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Almost certainly not, but if I could manage 1 rep I'd be hopping in the shower after shitting because I'd be almost 100% immobile afterwards

I got to 3x10 @225 about 10 years ago in my intro to weightlifting class for my pe credit on my associates degree. I got stronger faster than I ever had playing fb in high school and that was mid January to early May. I also squatted 490lbs. Now, not so much on either
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Are you starting out any stronger/more mass this time?

Your dedication is insane.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am right now.  

Did one of the Inbody assessments on Saturday.  Currently sitting at 15.2% bf.  I start my competition prep in 1 week. I'll have about 15 weeks to get back down to 3-4%.

Are you starting out any stronger/more mass this time?

Your dedication is insane.

My coach and I were running the numbers on Saturday.  I'm bigger, stronger, and leaner at 225-230 this time, than I was last time.  There aren't weight classes, but I should be coming in, anywhere from 5-10 lbs heavier this time, at the same bf%.  We'll just have to see how much muscle I can maintain on my cut.  I'd really like to be about 195 lbs on stage at 3% (I was under 190 last time).  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Only vid I have of me benching from 6 months ago. Topped out at 385lbs paused.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#5]

You need a better setup. Pinch shoulder blades together. Use legs to arch back and roll up on your traps. Stay tight and drive with the legs but keep your butt down. Tuck elbows more and touch a little lower down on chest.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks man! This will be my first. I'm just hoping to not make a fool of myself. If I do any better than that, I'll be happy! Haha
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I currently get 225x2 at my weight of 149 pounds at 5'11. When I'm about 10 pounds heavier I can go 225x6. Right now I'm cutting for a physique show, though. It really isn't all that hard, and I weigh less than 90% of the people here I'd imagine.

http://i.imgur.com/NNOimuW.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/wWiOz8q.jpg?1

Damn dude, getting cut up!

Good luck.  Hitting my second one in June.

Thanks man! This will be my first. I'm just hoping to not make a fool of myself. If I do any better than that, I'll be happy! Haha

Sounds goofy, but get a GOOD posing coach and practice that shit, like a LOT.  Be prepared to have to hold it for at least a few minutes at a time and learn how to "reset" the pose on stage.  The more comfortable you look, the better you'll score with the judges.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

0.1% to bench 225?

If you include women and children, that may actually be the case but certainly not 0.1% of Americans. At least I fucking hope not.

On the flip-side of that coin, I do not believe the percentage of Americans who can do it would exceed 5%.

Yes, I can bench 225 and get in 4-8 reps, depending on the day. I have been able to since I was 19, which was a long time ago.
View Quote
I work out at home, but there was a year when I first started I was going to the gym.  People doing 225 was rare.  The number doing it that did not weigh over 200 pounds was incredibly rare.

Times have changed though and it seems everyone over 25 these days is on some sort of testosterone therapy, so maybe it the percentage is much higher.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Having had one rotator cuff surgery and another pending, I would say that if you moved the decimal point to the left one position, I could maybe do that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Only vid I have of me benching from 6 months ago. Topped out at 385lbs paused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9pjnAiIjCg
View Quote

Beast mode.  Made it look easy!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How short are you?
View Quote
I am 6' even and at 175 currently.  Typically I am at 180 but just got over the flu.

My body structure favors the bench, which also makes my deadlift garbage.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How many of you fatties can bench over 1.5x your body weight?
View Quote

1.55x and I lift alone.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Your wingspan is taller than my body.
View Quote

My wingspan is taller than anyone under 6'7 ;)
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You need a better setup. Pinch shoulder blades together. Use legs to arch back and roll up on your traps. Stay tight and drive with the legs but keep your butt down. Tuck elbows more and touch a little lower down on chest.
View Quote

Isn't that cheating?

I see guys all the time arching their back off the bench and pushing with legs.  They don't have to go as far. Or they bounce off their chest, or don't fully extend the arms, etc., etc.  seems like cheating to me.

I do a straight bench press with arms and chest.  I don't get as much weight, but I'm not cheating myself either.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My wingspan is taller than anyone under 6'7 ;)
View Quote

That's wild, I think I'm a 1 on the ape index at 5' 11". Might even be an inch or so under.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Isn't that cheating?

I see guys all the time arching their back off the bench and pushing with legs.  They don't have to go as far. Or they bounce off their chest, or don't fully extend the arms, etc., etc.  seems like cheating to me.

I do a straight bench press with arms and chest.  I don't get as much weight, but I'm not cheating myself either.
View Quote

Don't bounce. But otherwise, no it isn't cheating. It's proper bench press form to ensure stability and shoulder health. You don't need an extreme arch unless you are competing.

ETA: I don't fully extend my arms if I'm doing high reps. I like my elbows too much. Otherwise I lock out each rep.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Isn't that cheating?

View Quote

arching the back is not cheating
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#19]
i think this deserves to be posted

Kirill Sarychev 738 bench
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do you even confirmation bias bro? This thread will attract people who can.

I never max anymore, but I have done 240 in the past. Pretty sure I could do 225.

I can't think of a single person I know who can bench 225, but they are all wimpy IT workers and primarily not Americans.
View Quote

I'll accept the confirmation bias logic. My viewpoint (that 225 as a SRM should be very easily attainable) is also based on my experience. I live in a rural/farm oriented area and work in a warehouse. Of the 6 guys here at work that lift, 5 of the 6 are at least at 225 SRM and 3 of the 6 can do 225x10. The "weak" guy weighs 220ish at about 6' tall and is probably at about 205 SRM. Counting other people I know, I'd say HALF of all of my friends could do 225 SRM. But maybe its the company we keep, and my demographics correlate better to guys being stronger.

Hell, our IT guy is 5'8" and 160lbs (soaking wet) and can do 225 SRM (I saw him do it last week). He's in great shape, but is by no means a gym rat/meathead/whatever. I guess that's why I'm a little confused when some of us are saying the "majority" of people at their gym can't do it.

I'll stick by my opinion that the average American male (Google says 5'9" and 195lbs) "can" do it easily if they want, most are just lazy.

(and I'm not talking about you guys that legitimately got injured).

-Ed
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't bounce. But otherwise, no it isn't cheating. It's proper bench press form to ensure stability and shoulder health. You don't need an extreme arch unless you are competing.

ETA: I don't fully extend my arms if I'm doing high reps. I like my elbows too much. Otherwise I lock out each rep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that cheating?

I've been playing around with using actual proper form and I benched less.  Unless you train that way, I can almost guarantee it won't feel like cheating.  It's uncomfortable as fuck.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
not anymore
View Quote

This.
I could back in the "glory days" of high school/college.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i think this deserves to be posted

Kirill Sarychev 738 bench
View Quote
Impressive for sure.  

I like this kids BP, he is closing in on 3x BW which would be pure insanity.

410 pound BP at 154 pounds body weight
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#24]
12-15 reps today.

34 was the best I ever did
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Back in the day I did 3-5 reps, but not now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#26]
i'm a tall skinny fucker.. i think i could eventually get there if i cared and trained enough, would take a while.

but as of now no i can't.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Impressive for sure.  

View Quote

Holy shit.  LOL.  From the comments:

"No matter how good you think you are at something, there will always an asian better than you"
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Not really a legitimate question. If you weigh 300 pounds and can bench 225 what does that prove? If you weigh 125 pounds and can bench 225 that is an entirely different matter.

The question should be, can you bench press 1.25 times your body weight, or 1.5 times.
That would be a legitimate question to ask.  I benched 1.25 times my body weight this morning. Weigh 160 and benched 200.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've been playing around with using actual proper form and I benched less.  Unless you train that way, I can almost guarantee it won't feel like cheating.  It's uncomfortable as fuck.
View Quote

Dave Tate: Is that uncomfortable?
Trainee: Yes
Dave Tate: Good!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not really a legitimate question. If you weigh 300 pounds and can bench 225 what does that prove? If you weigh 125 pounds and can bench 225 that is an entirely different matter.

The question should be, can you bench press 1.25 times your body weight, or 1.5 times.
That would be a legitimate question to ask.  I benched 1.25 times my body weight this morning. Weigh 160 and benched 200.
View Quote

I notice only the scrawny weaklings are worried about BW ratios.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Impressive for sure.  

View Quote

That is insane.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
We have stronger hearts though bro.  Good luck with your heart attack goals of 2017.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's bullshit.  I weigh 265#.  It counts less that I can bench 300# because my fucking arms are twice as long and I have to move the bar twice as far as a little midget cheater?  I don't think so.  BW means shit for bench press.  Now other things it may be more relevant.  Like pull-ups you little cheating fuckers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's bullshit.  I weigh 265#.  It counts less that I can bench 300# because my fucking arms are twice as long and I have to move the bar twice as far as a little midget cheater?  I don't think so.  BW means shit for bench press.  Now other things it may be more relevant.  Like pull-ups you little cheating fuckers.
View Quote

Your 1RM bench press is measured in minutes. That range of motion is like cardio bruh.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Impressive for sure.  

View Quote

503 @ 148
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JNsJGqLvl8
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#36]
When I was younger I once picked up a mountain and threw it into the ocean
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Not raw. Belt and wrist wraps.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We have stronger hearts though bro.  Good luck with your heart attack goals of 2017.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously this has turned into a dick measuring contest, but the topic was "can you bench 225 (once)", and with that in mind he's kinda right. That is by no means a major accomplishment unless you are tiny.

Talking in "scrawny weakling" lingo, a reasonably fit guy should be able to push 1.3xBW on bench (and the average American male is ~195lbs). I'm closing in on 2xBW and I'm an average size office worker kinda guy (the word of the day seems to be "literally," and I'm literally average American weight).

-Ed
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm at 1.75x on 1/1/17 - I test my maxes on 4 lifts every New Year's Day. Benched 351 at a BW of 200.  

I'm turning 49 in a few months.  If I can stay healthy, maybe I'll see 400 within a few years, but my 1/1/18 goal is 375.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not raw. Belt and wrist wraps.
View Quote

lol I hope you're not serious
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll go ahead and embarrass myself....Probably not.

Lifting weights again after a long time of slacking...currently doing 3 sets of 145 lbs on bench, 10 reps per set when I lift.  

I doubt I could get 225 up right now.  Maybe in another couple of months.

I know, I'm weak.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That is insane.
View Quote

What's insane about it?

His bench press to body weight ratio? I thought you said that didn't matter.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would say the exact thing if my ratios sucked.Duffin thinks ratios are important.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

lol I hope you're not serious
View Quote

You should talk to Chris Duffin.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
When I was younger I once picked up a mountain and threw it into the ocean
View Quote

Well back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You should talk to Chris Duffin.
View Quote

Ed Coan punched me in the shoulder at the Arnold one year...haven't washed it since
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ed Coan punched me in the shoulder at the Arnold one year...haven't washed it since
View Quote

You're lucky to be alive!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What's insane about it?

His bench press to body weight ratio? I thought you said that didn't matter.
View Quote

Any 4 plate bench is impressive. But by a scrawny Asian kid with no leg drive? Impressive.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#49]
At 1 time?... used to but now I'm old and know better, that's why I carry a purse
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I doubt it.  Thirty years ago that was just a regular workout.  Now, I'm just trying to get back to 200 pushups.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top