Posted: 2/20/2017 2:52:33 AM EDT
Anyone here have experience with them?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Safelite repair, safelite replace!!!!

Sing it beotches!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:53:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Had them do my Jeep a few years back, did a clean job, done quickly. Nothing to complain about. With most franchise operations of this type they could vary from shop to shop.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:56:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Rear driver side passenger window on my F-150 just shattered in a thousand pieces this afternoon. Just closing the door, no slamming. POW! Shattered.

Looks like $300 from Safelite.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:57:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Went in to find out if they would do a chip repair for me, was quoted $90.  Went over to a local company, they did it for $20 cash.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:00:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I found a cheaper/better place (vs. Safelite) in Portland, OR.  I've done two replacements in the last 10 years.  Price around before you pull the trigger.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:00:49 AM EDT
[#6]
They replaced one windshield and the glass was "worse" quality and seemed to pit more quickly.  Another one was better quality than Factory and stamped from Pilkington as such.

A neighbor has a brand new Honda and the aftermarket glass did not work with the new lane departure system - they ended up breaking it out and putting back in Factory.

There are only so many glass makers in the world, I wish I knew if Safelite used the same quality glass as Factory but I've generally had a good experience.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:03:06 AM EDT
[#7]
They replace 2 to 3 windshields a day for me.  No issues other than their tech occasionally forgets to put the manufacturer approved windshield in.   They come out and fix their mistake at no cost when they do.  

I use a different vendor for chip and crack repair.  

I'm sure each location and tech varies in quality but the ones here in SoCal seem good and enjoy their jobs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:05:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone had experience with them replacing side windows? Powered windows.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:05:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Safelite repair, safelite replace!!!!

Sing it beotches!!!
View Quote
You ass. I'd just about got that Hell-tune out of my brain.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:07:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Come to your house. Work in your garage or driveway. No need to leave basement.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:08:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Just ask for oem make glass. Most places will get what you want.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:08:50 AM EDT
[#12]
No but I did an online quote to replace my right side window on a '99 Cherokee, $268

I just ordered it online for $68 and installed it myself today 

Granted it was a door window and not a windshield but still saved $$$.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:19:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I maintain a fleet of about 2000 vehicles. My company uses them in about half the country. They are generally competitive, but it never hurts to shop around.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:26:16 AM EDT
[#14]
When I had my 2003 S-10, some asshole shot the passenger window with a BB gun and it shattered. Safelite replaced it in my driveway for $150 or so. I was happy with both the price and service.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:32:09 AM EDT
[#15]
My wife and I have bad luck when it comes to rocks and our windshields.

I have AAA and they use Satellite.

Used them about 5 times in the last 7 years. Replaced 3 windshields in that time frame.

They do good work and its nice that they will come to your location to replace it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:45:00 AM EDT
[#16]
pros they are relatively cheap, and convienent.
cons the glass at least to me seems sub par.
If your where you loose a windshield frequently I would use them, not so much on a classic or expensive car.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:45:22 AM EDT
[#17]
My garbage bag and duct tape repair held up during this thunderstorm.

I think I'll use Safelite to replace that window.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:54:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Y U NO 0 deductible glass?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:56:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I used them about a year ago and they are good to go.

Sent a cool dude named Manny the next morning after i called. Dude worked his ass off ,fast and clean like hed done a thousand of the things. I was really impressed.

Put the glass in place and started palm tapping the glass in for a good seal and because one of the plastic mounts had snapped inward the glass cracked even worse on the new one than the old.

I felt terrible for the guy. It was like a composer getting 9/10 of the way through a beautiful performance and letting one rip.

Safelite made a special trip miles away just to get a new piece and put it in that evening.

I would call them again if i need them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:59:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Y U NO 0 deductible glass?
View Quote

'05 that I only carry liability insurance on now.

And btw, I actually saved 20% by switching to Geico. And they send me gift cards for some reason. I'm liking the cave man insurance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:00:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Ssome states stipulate $0 deductible for glass replacement usually the insurance rates in those states is higher than other states
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:10:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Used them a few times for both repairs and replacements.  Good service and no complaints from me.  I work about only two blocks from a franchise so it's extra convenient for me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:21:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Have experience a few years ago, when some a$$hole broke my side window of my Ridgeline, at Hilton Las Vegas.
Drove to their shop, and they replace the window in a few hours.
Enough time to get a ride, get a rental car, drove to pick up my wife for lunch, and while having lunch, got a call that my car is done.

Fast forward 8 years, no issue.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:35:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Service and installation are very good, no issues and the 2 times I've had it done they were very quick and courteous.  However, the glass they use is Chinese. PPG aka PGW sources from Mex and China. The codes stamped on the glass show in what factory they are made.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:48:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Satellite repaaaaaaaaaair, Safelite replace!

Also (while I'm at it):

Five eight eight, two three hundred...Em-Piiiiiiiiiiiire!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:06:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Satellite repaaaaaaaaaair, Safelite replace!

Also (while I'm at it):

Five eight eight, two three hundred...Em-Piiiiiiiiiiiire!
View Quote
NOOOOO!!!!

fucking jingles.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:09:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone here have experience with them?
View Quote

I haven't dealt with them in a few years, but when I ran an insurance office I loved them. They did all the work on the glass claim and did a great job so nobody bitched at me. What wasn't to like? If I had a glass claim now I call them up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:10:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I had them fill a chip once. Great experience here. I even contacted the corporate office to give the local shop a good plug.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:11:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just ask for oem make glass. Most places will get what you want.
View Quote

Acura dealer had my car in for a recall, not sure what happened but my windshield was broken at the dealer and when I went to pick the car up, it had safelite glass.

Good enough for the dealer, good enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:42:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

'05 that I only carry liability insurance on now.

And btw, I actually saved 20% by switching to Geico. And they send me gift cards for some reason. I'm liking the cave man insurance.
View Quote

Did you shop around?

I am with an independent agency, and Geico is EASY to beat.  From what I can tell, Geico is one of the highest cost insurance - every time I shopped my insurance business around.  State Farm was the only one more expensive.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Had a windshield replaced on my audi. They used OEM glass, works great and didn't cost much.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#32]
They are gtg.  Used them 4 times.  I commute and catch a lot of debris.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#33]
They replaced my windshield in 2007. Didn't set it right. In 2013 it leaked again. Had to send it to a body shop to remove the rust around the metal before another windshield could be set. My insurance company sued them to get my deductible back and pay for damages that also caused my fuse block to short out from the leak as well as other shit.
My opinion,  Satellite can go fuck themselves with a rusty cactus.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I contacted the Toyota service dept at the local dealer to have my windshield replaced.  

They told me to take it to safelite as that's where they would take it anyway.  

I've had multiple windshields done with them and never any issues.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Have experience a few years ago, when some a$hole broke my side window of my Ridgeline, at Hilton Las Vegas.
Drove to their shop, and they replace the window in a few hours.
Enough time to get a ride, get a rental car, drove to pick up my wife for lunch, and while having lunch, got a call that my car is done.

Fast forward 8 years, no issue.
View Quote

I'm impressed you actually admitted owning a ridge line in GD.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#36]
They have replaced 2 of our windshields (Jeep's Lol) and fixed 2 chips.  They are extensively used by the insurance industry and are GTG in my experience.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Used them when my laptop got stolen and the passenger side rear window was smashed.  Decided to go to the shop rather than have them come to me.  The online appointment and web site worked really well.  showed up at the appointed time and had to wait because they were backed up.  Took an hour longer than they said and the installer damaged the weather stripping and they didn't have a replacement.  Wanted to give me a "discount" instead of replacing it but I said no because it would have been visible.

Came to the house three days later with the part and replaced it all.  Looks and works OK.  The company itself was very thorough throughout. Next time I'd pay extra and have them come to the house.

Damned thieves. Was still finding little shards of glass in the car a month after it happened.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#39]
State Farm sent them out to replace a windshield on my F150.  First Rain I found out it leaked and they had the black sealant stuff all over the place.  I called State Farm and then sent someone else out to replace the one Safelite goofed up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#40]
yes, check  their website or sign up on their site. I got a coupon for $75 bucks off and a very reasonable quote. I got the quote and the site said book now and this rate is good for 3 days.  I did and booked it for my GMC Canyon.  It was 2 years ago and it was $260 after the coupon was applied which was the cheapest I found. I took it to them although they do offer curb site service. took about 2 hours in and out. zero problems since.  It started with a chip in the windshield and when winter came we had freezing rain and super cold days and during that time it started to crack, and it then went all the way across.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They have replaced 2 of our windshields (Jeep's Lol) and fixed 2 chips.  They are extensively used by the insurance industry and are GTG in my experience.
View Quote

They are extensively used by the insurance companies...wait...because they are the insurance companies.  Safelite has another company, SGC network.
SGC network does 90% of all insurance claims for glass only.  When you call the 800 number on your insurance card you will prompted to press 1 if
it is a glass claim.  You are now talking to a a Safelite employee with a script from said insurance company.  They steer the customer to safelite.
They are the fox in the hen house
They took over the claims industry by giving the insurance companies very cheap rates on processing the claims...of course they would need to capture as much of that business
as possible in order to keep the cheap rates to the insurance company.  They are owned by a company in the UK  Belron.  They have completely fucked up the
auto glass industry and are complete sleaze balls.  They will rape anyone they can.  You have the right to use any auto glass company you want if you are going
through your insurance.  Support a local company.  If you are paying cash, Safelite will be the the most expensive shop out there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Rear driver side passenger window on my F-150 just shattered in a thousand pieces this afternoon. Just closing the door, no slamming. POW! Shattered.

Looks like $300 from Safelite.
View Quote

Go to a junkyard, or order online for the glass, replace it yourself. Door windows are easy to do.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Went in to find out if they would do a chip repair for me, was quoted $90.  Went over to a local company, they did it for $20 cash.
View Quote

You DO know that any decent car insurance company you might have will pay for chip repair at no out of pocket cost to you, right?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#44]
They've done two windshields for me...not complaints.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Make sure they clean out the bottom channel.  If not the auto up,  will reverse everytime because the glass will sit taller.   It will think something is in the way.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Had three done, 1 windshield replace and 2 windshield repairs... easy, fair price, they worked with my insurance no problems and they cleaned the inside of my cars for me... which saved me from having to do it :)
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#47]
I had them replace a rear door window in my pickup ( break-in) and do a windshield repair.
solid work both times; very convenient, too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:09:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Appointment is for Thursday morning. I'll post a review of the work.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:12:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Had them replace the windshield in my wife's Tundra.  Showed up when they said they would, repaired it in the driveway, charged what they originally quoted.  Been a year or two and so far, so good.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#50]
the installer is very important
had the windshield replaced by them in 06 on my Maxima.  perfect Job no issues
called em out again this past December and the first install failed due to the guy discovering
a 4 inch gash in the windshield after the job was complete.
2 seeks later another installer came out with replacement glass Put it in.  all looked fine
till I drove the car and had a large rattle sound coming from the cowl.
Turns out every cowl fastener was missing , dude did not reattach the cowl.
and the fasteners were nowhere to be found. I managed to get it put back together with hardware on hand
also jacked up the upper trim.  to be fair I got the windshield for free after bitching about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top