BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:00:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They've gotten better, but they remind me of 90's BMW's....either rock solid or a pile of putrid shit. All the Guzzi owners I've talked to have either had one or the other....in equal measures. Electrical gremlins galore, my buddy's Norge had electrical gremlins that drove him nuts, and it would vapor lock and not run right hot. He replaced it with a Caponord, and it was even worse. lol He traded for a newer Caponord and it's been solid. Eh, Italians.

I love the idea of them, but I couldn't gamble on something with so sparse a dealer network comfortably.
View Quote
Motorcycles, in general, are not for the faint of heart. Nevertheless, iff that 8V motor and the Stelio itself  was not up to it, I would not recommend it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:25:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You have just described about 99% of Honda products...

I will give up a lot of soul for boring reliability.
View Quote

Hondas are good reliability-wise but they have their problems like every other bike.

My two 1984 V65 Sabres were awesome but they had problems wiping cams.  Cams were built of poor quality metal and the design of the oiling system was inadequate. Shame, too, because the V4 engines were otherwise incredible.

My 2001 ST1100 had pretty bad headshake problems around 35mph. A common problem with those.  But the bigger common problem is the tendency for rear tires to blow out regardless oh whether the bike is loaded down. Previous owner sold it to me because he was scared to drive it after a brand new Avon blew out on him at 70 mph on the interstate. ST1100 owners sometimes switch to a goldwing rear rim with a car tire since they won't blow out.  Doesn't handle quite as well but at least it's safer.

I was intending on getting an ST1300 before I got the 1100.  But they have an instability problem above 85mph. A lot of people have tried to figure it out but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it (same as the blowouts above). Some people get lucky and don't have the problem but it is a gamble every time you break 85.

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against Hondas as evidenced by my ownership of them. Just don't try to pass them off as something greater than they really are.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You should trade your brother for that Strom. :D
View Quote

The thought has crossed my mind.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:01:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Motorcycles, in general, are not for the faint of heart. Nevertheless, iff that 8V motor and the Stelio itself  was not up to it, I would not recommend it.
View Quote

I believe you. But it's still boutique with boutique parts. Also busts my spec sheet being one of the big 1200 ADVs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:45:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm in the same boat. I had some fickle bikes and given that I adventure or offroad ride, that really put the damper on their fun. It's one thing when your bike won't start in the Panera parking lot. It's altogether different when you're 18 miles from the nearest road in the middle of the woods on  hills so steep you can't push the bike up to get out. BTDT, walked the whole way to civilization in fucking MX boots.

I'm getting ready to do a ride out west and up the CDT into Canada on my Strom. One of my riding buddies has a GS800 which has been a reliability issue since he bought it, he wants to go but when we sat down and talked about it I asked him how confident he felt about his bike making all 6,000 miles without issue. He kind of made the "yeah,  not very" face and said he'd probably trade the bike before summer when we left. I don't even give mine a second thought...I'm confident it'll get me there without issue.
View Quote

ADV bike swingset, you're supposed to throw on your ATGATT super suit and go to Starbucks. Plus I did some readong on the 800GS and apparently it can get a bit wheezy on the freeway. So it's out. The freeway isn't where I want to be, but sometimes you want to make up some time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Highs have been in the 60s here for the past couple days and I'm without a motorcycle for the first time in 12 years.  This thread is starting to give me the itch again.
View Quote

We got into the low 50s yesterday with gusts of 20mph, but I rode mine back to work at lunch yesterday because of this thread.  There's still ice in some of the gutters, and sand at every intersection, so I'm really careful at each junction.  It's still glorious to be on it after all the cold months.

I even stopped at the bike store this weekend and looked at a new  16' DL1000.  This thread is not good for my wallet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, I think you are honestly down to two bikes. The Africa Twin that you already know you want. Which honestly you would love and it is supposed to be awesome. And...I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to not look at the Tiger 800 in one of its various forms. The triple is a sweet engine and the platform is proven.

ETA: I had an earlier Tiger 800 and this past fall I was struggling greatly between the Tiger XcX and the 1200 GSA I ended up with.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well even the BMW dealer echoed sentiments about the F800GT. Said the seating postion was too sporty for long term and the engine didn't measure up to the seating pretentions.

They have a couple R1200 RS models for cheaper than the F800GT. Im not sure I want to go that big, but maybe ill ride it and see whats there.

But I keep coming back to the AT though. Took a drive around today and saw promising dirt roads. Did some more reading on its road manners and it seems they are acceptably improved over the Vstrom in the category Im concerned about (350cc makes a difference? Who could have seen that?!). But Ill have to ride it to see for myself.
View Quote
I LOVE my RS; its got a ton of torque across a wide powerband so no high RPMs or constant gear changes required. The seating position was a little rough on my back after having the fully upright F800GS, but I've gotten used to it. I never had any issues at all with my GS, that bike was a lot of fun too. Theres a lot of people that have had issues with them (wheel bearing failure, gas tank separation, shock bolt bending) but these are all things easy to check and fix, and some of them are self-imposed. Its true the suspension on the F8GS is not tunable, and the bike has more brake dive than I'd like but its not really that bad and nothing a couple grand in upgrades wont fix. The bike is plenty fast enough on the freeway, as well; not sure what wheezy means, it does not like going over 90MPH but I never really wanted or needed to do that. The F8GS is a very capable bike for ADV riding and I wouldn't hesitate to get another for the right price and with the right upgrades (shock bolt, rebuilt front forks, high fender) since it's still the lightest bike in its class. I think I would also look at a Triumph Tiger 800 XCa if I was going to do another ADV bike; the triple is a fantastic motor and the weight is still under 500lbs fueled, unlike the AT which seems like a bit of a pig on paper but I haven't ridden it, that could change my mind.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OK, I think you are honestly down to two bikes. The Africa Twin that you already know you want. Which honestly you would love and it is supposed to be awesome. And...I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to not look at the Tiger 800 in one of its various forms. The triple is a sweet engine and the platform is proven.

ETA: I had an earlier Tiger 800 and this past fall I was struggling greatly between the Tiger XcX and the 1200 GSA I ended up with.
View Quote

I'll deifinitely check out the Tiger 800. It seems to have fallen from favor in the publications, but they aren't the end all be all and a number of knowledgeable people here have suggested it.

At this point Im thinking I'll end up with the AT though, but I'm staying very much open minded about this.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'll deifinitely check out the Tiger 800. It seems to have fallen from favor in the publications, but they aren't the end all be all and a number of knowledgeable people here have suggested it.

At this point Im thinking I'll end up with the AT though, but I'm staying very much open minded about this.
View Quote

I bought a new 2013 Tiger 800XC, and loved it. Fantastic all around bike. For my riding style (very upright) it needed rox risers. Once done it was damn near perfect.  For some reason 18 months later I sold it and bought an FJR.  Again, fantastic bike, but needed risers. It ate up the road miles just like the Tiger, probably better. One day in the middle of nowhere near Ft Polk my road turned to dirt, then rutted destroyed dirt with puddles, in just a few hundred yards.  I made up my mind right then to get my tiger back.
I now have a 2015 Tiger 800XCx. cruise control is great, i use it damn near every day on the way to work. Mileage is awesome (without the Bumot side cases) cruising along at 70 getting high 40's to low 50's mpg.

I seek out the rutted destroyed roads again, something I missed on the FJR.

The AT is cheaper than the Tiger, with just as good support aftermarket.  It will come down to feel, but ride the Tiger. It really wakes up at about 5500 rpm.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

As you know motorcyclist are as bad if not worse than everyone when it comes to trends and fads. Today the AT is the shit. Tomorrow it will be the KTM 1000 and after that we will see.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Tour chow for the tour, Sport chow for the Sport. And I always go feet first.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We got into the low 50s yesterday with gusts of 20mph, but I rode mine back to work at lunch yesterday because of this thread.  There's still ice in some of the gutters, and sand at every intersection, so I'm really careful at each junction.  It's still glorious to be on it after all the cold months.

I even stopped at the bike store this weekend and looked at a new  16' DL1000.  This thread is not good for my wallet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Highs have been in the 60s here for the past couple days and I'm without a motorcycle for the first time in 12 years.  This thread is starting to give me the itch again.

You're not helping.

How did you like the new DL1000? That's one of the bikes on my short list.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sport/feet foward-gyno position does not compute.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/461570/bikes-152180.JPG
View Quote

But how do you stand up?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's the only responsible thing. A 2016 DL1000 had TC and ABS. Your old DL650 doesn't. Dont you care about your family?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You're not helping.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not helping.

"Looked at" is all I did.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:20:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

As you know motorcyclist are as bad if not worse than everyone when it comes to trends and fads. Today the AT is the shit. Tomorrow it will be the KTM 1000 and after that we will see.
View Quote

Very true. I think part of the excitement about the AT is the forbidden fruit thing for the US
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:42:29 AM EDT
[#20]
This video talks about the BMW, Tiger, and Africa Twin. Might be some help.
2016 Wire-Wheel Adventure Shootout
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I went and looked at bikes today. I think I might go with the Ducati Multistrada 1200.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Multi is a fantastic bike by all accounts.

Wish I could afford one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Multi is a fantastic bike by all accounts.

Wish I could afford one.
View Quote

I started reading reviews and people say they aren't reliable.

I might have to stick with a Tiger XCx
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Adventure bikes will get you just about anywhere!

Off road

Near home.

Or on it.

1450 miles in 3 1/2 days. 40% dirt.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Adventure bikes will get you just about anywhere!

Off road

https://photos.smugmug.com/ADVPics/ADV2015/i-cWgsL6X/0/L/IMG_20160403_171630990_HDR-L.jpg

Near home.

Or on it.

https://photos.smugmug.com/ADVPics/ADV16/i-KDz6j8n/0/L/IMG_20160716_103815329-L.jpg

1450 miles in 3 1/2 days. 40% dirt.
View Quote

Hell of a trip!

I've been thinking a lot more about the r1200RS in large part because there are some very good deals available on them. It will come down to a ride off probably.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I started reading reviews and people say they aren't reliable.

I might have to stick with a Tiger XCx
View Quote

Can't go wrong with the tiger and Bumot side cases (narrowest)

I love mine
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I had the same dilemma a few years ago.  I went with the sport touring option and I regret it.  I should have bought an adventure bike.  I've run into plenty of rough dirt roads and trails while traveling that would have been fun to explore but I couldn't.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#28]
If you haven't checked it out, ADV Rider forums are a good place to pick up more information.  Actual riders who have the bike and can give you the pluses and minuses.  (As with all opinions, take it with a grain of salt, some people feel the need to validate their purchase, regardless of how good or bad it may have been)

The Africa Twin gets a lot of good reviews, in the press, and on those forums.  Average on road, great off road.   The other bike i see people enjoying is the 1190 R (now 1290 R).   From what i gather, the KTM has more issues, but the engine makes up for it (in their eyes).  Something along the lines of not handling any better on road than the AT, but the extra 60 HP allowing you to ride like a hooligan so you don't care.

Then again, you have to pay a lot of extra money for that.  I think that's the reason why so many like the Tiger 800, yet struggle with it.  Great bike, but probably costs too much when compared to something like the AT.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had the same dilemma a few years ago.  I went with the sport touring option and I regret it.  I should have bought an adventure bike.  I've run into plenty of rough dirt roads and trails while traveling that would have been fun to explore but I couldn't.
View Quote

That's what happened to me when I had a sport tourer. It was fun, but limiting. The thing about an good adventurer tourer is they are still capable sport tourers even in "adventure trim"....even with knobbies and ruggedized gear, I can still hit the twisties and do multi-state tours, but I can do dirt too. The sport tourer was more locked into its role, and what I'm enjoying so much about adventure riding is the wide variety of roads and conditions I'm comfortable riding it.

They're truly the AR15 of the bike world. 
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've got a stable of Guzzis. Most are extraordinarily reliable. There have been a few problem engines but the roller-tappet 8V 1200s are amazing. Keep the oil changed and just ride.
View Quote

forker knows. They are fukkin bulletproof. Had mine since '02 and have run the piss out of it and it's never been in the shop, ever. Still runs like a scalded cat.

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's what happened to me when I had a sport tourer. It was fun, but limiting. The thing about an good adventurer tourer is they are still capable sport tourers even in "adventure trim"....even with knobbies and ruggedized gear, I can still hit the twisties and do multi-state tours, but I can do dirt too. The sport tourer was more locked into its role, and what I'm enjoying so much about adventure riding is the wide variety of roads and conditions I'm comfortable riding it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still leaning that way. The way my mind could be changed from the AT is if I tried a sport tourer and it just dropped my jaw.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I ended up getting an R1200R when I was really considering the GS.  I went with the R at the time because I didn't see myself doing much off-roading and it was a few grand cheaper.  I started touring around and kept finding beat to crap dirt roads and dual track that I didn't think I could go down in my R.  I do love my R and I don't see myself selling or trading it for a long time but sometimes I wish It was a GS.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Unless you plan on heading out west, is there that much BLM and unpaved roads out east?  If not, I'd probably go ST and ADV out west
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Unless you plan on heading out west, is there that much BLM and unpaved roads out east?  If not, I'd probably go ST and ADV out west
View Quote

There's more dirt, gravel and backroads in the east than you'd think. I put together a 1080 mile loop of dirt, abandoned roads and light trails that barely leaves the confines of eastern Ohio. Most of the east coast is similar, in my expeirence.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is dirt/gravel where I am. VT, NH, ME are a different part of the northeast.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#36]
My ultimate dream "enduro" would be a wr450f or ktm450exc supermoto with knobbieish street tires. Light bikes are a blast and nothing would compete with kayaba shocks. Supermotos look like just as fun as a sport bike on twisties too.Attachment Attached File

Something like that.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top