Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/20/2017 2:22:32 AM EDT
I'll probably be picking up a new bike this year and I'm having trouble figuring out what to get. I think I've narrowed it down to two categories though. I'm in between bikes now and my previous bike was a Vstrom 650. So definitely in the ADV bike category. I liked it and it was a great machine and it was the logical choice, but it didn't feel special.

I think the dilemma between the Sport tour category boils down to how much would I really use and adventure bike off road? Everyone who buys one of those bikes envisions themselves in "The Long Way Around" but we all know how many stay firmly on the pavement. I didn't get to use my Vstrom off pavement much in part because I was working on making it a bit more capable. I wasn't willing to take it on much terrain without a few important mods and also because for the majority of the time I owned it, I lived in North Dakota (not much terrain).

I can firmly say though, that I enjoy long distance trips on bikes. And the point of the ADV bike for me is to take any road or path that I might like. But at the same time, I know I would like something that specializes a bit more in the corners.

Right now, here is my short list

ADV would most likely be the Africa Twin

In the sport tour, I've identified the BMW F800GT and the Yamaha FJ-09 as higher contenders.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:28:02 AM EDT
[#1]
MV Agusta Turismo Veloce
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:28:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not get the adventure bike?  If you like BMW 800's then look at the F800GSA.  If you get a sport touring bike, you will ONLY be on the highway.  Why not at least leave the option open for offroading / dirt road cruising if you want to?  It's not like the GSA would be that much worse on the pavement compared to the one you listed.  The pavement is boring in my personal opinion.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:31:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not get the adventure bike?  If you like BMW 800's then look at the F800GSA.  If you get a sport touring bike, you will ONLY be on the highway.  Why not at least leave the option open for offroading / dirt road cruising if you want to?  It's not like the GSA would be that much worse on the pavement compared to the one you listed.
http://s201.photobucket.com/user/martycover/media/IMG_1594.jpg.html
View Quote

Because everyone says they want to have the option, but so many people don't exercise it. Worried about damaging the bike or whatnot. And if I were to get the ADV, I would want to make sure I wasn't just kidding myself. Because otherwise, a sport tourer will be more bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:35:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Africa twin.  All around winner.

Hell I take my xx down dirt and gravel roads all the time, added a fender extender and that was that.  Just can't turn sharp very quick
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:35:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Because everyone says they want to have the option, but so many people don't exercise it. Worried about damaging the bike or whatnot. And if I were to get the ADV, I would want to make sure I wasn't just kidding myself. Because otherwise, a sport tourer will be more bang for the buck.
View Quote

Where are you getting this from?  Where I live I see ADV bikes on dirt roads all the time.  I rarely see them on the highway.  Yes, if you get an adventure bike you are going to damage it.  But that's what it's for, to have fun on.  If you are worried about scratches here and there then stick with highway riding.  I just don't get any enjoyment out of pavement.  Hell when I plan routes I do everything I can to make sure I never have to touch the pavement.  I got sick of being stuck behind cars on the road a long time ago.

You could get the adventure bike and throw on some good engine guards, the most damage you might get is some light scratching and maybe a set of handlebars if you go down.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:40:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the FJ-09 and a YZ250X.

Adventure bikes suck off road, and you can take a supersport down gravel roads and through fields.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:43:53 AM EDT
[#7]
F800 is a really nice twin, but the GT version does nothing for me.
All of my motorcycles wear 21 inch tube type tires.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:46:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Where are you getting this from?  Where I live I see ADV bikes on dirt roads all the time.  I rarely see them on the highway.  Yes, if you get an adventure bike you are going to damage it.  But that's what it's for, to have fun on.  If you are worried about scratches here and there then stick with highway riding.  I just don't get any enjoyment out of pavement.  Hell when I plan routes I do everything I can to make sure I never have to touch the pavement.  I got sick of being stuck behind cars on the road a long time ago.

You could get the adventure bike and throw on some good engine guards, the most damage you might get is some light scratching and maybe a set of handlebars if you go down.
View Quote

That's my impression at least. I have no experience on dirt bikes, so concerns about using an ADV bike off road are real. I'm not afraid of a bike being scratched up at all. But skill to really utilize it is on my mind.

I know I do get enjoyment on pavement. I also know I get enjoyment from taking any road I want, rutted dirt roads are especially cool. The reason I would consider the sport tourer is because a ride on some sportier bikes at a demo day was enlightening. They were very different from my Vstrom on the road.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:48:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll probably be picking up a new bike this year and I'm having trouble figuring out what to get. I think I've narrowed it down to two categories though. I'm in between bikes now and my previous bike was a Vstrom 650. So definitely in the ADV bike category. I liked it and it was a great machine and it was the logical choice, but it didn't feel special.

I think the dilemma between the Sport tour category boils down to how much would I really use and adventure bike off road? Everyone who buys one of those bikes envisions themselves in "The Long Way Around" but we all know how many stay firmly on the pavement. I didn't get to use my Vstrom off pavement much in part because I was working on making it a bit more capable. I wasn't willing to take it on much terrain without a few important mods and also because for the majority of the time I owned it, I lived in North Dakota (not much terrain).

I can firmly say though, that I enjoy long distance trips on bikes. And the point of the ADV bike for me is to take any road or path that I might like. But at the same time, I know I would like something that specializes a bit more in the corners.

Right now, here is my short list

ADV would most likely be the Africa Twin
http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/medium_1x_/public/import/embedded/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2016-Honda-Africa-Twin-FIRST-RIDE-static-1-590x393.jpg?itok=T0GUj-Qa

In the sport tour, I've identified the BMW F800GT and the Yamaha FJ-09 as higher contenders.
https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/medium/first-pictures-of-the-2015-bmw-bike-line-up-photo-gallery-medium_38.jpg
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-content/gallery/2015-yamaha-fj-09-mt-09-tracer/2015-Yamaha-FJ-09-MT-09-Tracer-31.jpg

Any thoughts?
View Quote

In ARFCOM tradition, get both, or all.  Thats my plan, just got my sporty last year, I love it for what it is.  But it will never be a touring bike, or a ADV, or a sport bike.  Search out the low mile deals and fill the damn garage that's what the wife and I are doing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:55:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I've considered getting an ADV for years, but when you get into curvaceous areas, one simply cannot resist the urge to drag knee. I would get a sport touring bike.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:55:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's my impression at least. I have no experience on dirt bikes, so concerns about using an ADV bike off road are real. I'm not afraid of a bike being scratched up at all. But skill to really utilize it is on my mind.

I know I do get enjoyment on pavement. I also know I get enjoyment from taking any road I want, rutted dirt roads are especially cool. The reason I would consider the sport tourer is because a ride on some sportier bikes at a demo day was enlightening. They were very different from my Vstrom on the road.
View Quote

Here's the last thing I'll chime in on.  High performance bikes are absolutely miserable to ride after the initial thrill is over.  I've owned just to name a few CBR929, RC51, and a few others.  Those things were insane and a lot of fun when really going way too fast.  But doing the speed limit, those bikes were the most boring thing ever after I got used to them.  I got rid of all my street bikes and bought a KLR650.  I know, it's not a glamorous bike.  But let me tell you, I have never had so much fun on a bike in my entire life.  The suspension is squishy as hell, kind of wobbly in the turns, corners are sketchy with 50/50 dirt/street tires, the engine doesn't have much power, and the brakes are weak.  But, all that leads up to an awesome time riding because it actually takes a little bit of skill.  I can flog the shit out of it without doing 100 mph.  The damn 929/RC51 bikes you could barely even play with the throttle without almost immediately hitting "go to jail" speeds.  It's a challenge and it made everything a lot more fun.  It's not just feeling like it's on autopilot at the speed limit like the other bikes.

My point is don't be afraid that having a bike with more of an offroad setup as being a bad thing.  I did 2000 miles of the trans America trail all by myself 2 years ago.  It was probably the most enjoyable experience in my life and something I will never forget.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:56:25 AM EDT
[#12]
As a dual sport owner I think an ADV is the most street biased I'd go.

I personally have no use for a sport tourer.

You need to decide how much you will realistically use the "offroadness" of your bike.

Do you ride alone?

I wouldn't want to be in the middle of nowhere and have to pick up a big bike loaded with camping shit by myself.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:59:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In ARFCOM tradition, get both, or all.  Thats my plan, just got my sporty last year, I love it for what it is.  But it will never be a touring bike, or a ADV, or a sport bike.  Search out the low mile deals and fill the damn garage that's what the wife and I are doing.
View Quote

I agree 100%. Just not viable at this point.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:07:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Here's the last thing I'll chime in on.  High performance bikes are absolutely miserable to ride after the initial thrill is over.  I've owned just to name a few CBR929, RC51, and a few others.  Those things were insane and a lot of fun when really going way too fast.  But doing the speed limit, those bikes were the most boring thing ever after I got used to them.  I got rid of all my street bikes and bought a KLR650.  I know, it's not a glamorous bike.  But let me tell you, I have never had so much fun on a bike in my entire life.  The suspension is squishy as hell, kind of wobbly in the turns, corners are sketchy with 50/50 dirt/street tires, the engine doesn't have much power, and the brakes are weak.  But, all that leads up to an awesome time riding because it actually takes a little bit of skill.  I can flog the shit out of it without doing 100 mph.  The damn 929/RC51 bikes you could barely even play with the throttle without almost immediately hitting "go to jail" speeds.  It's a challenge and it made everything a lot more fun.  It's not just feeling like it's on autopilot at the speed limit like the other bikes.

My point is don't be afraid that having a bike with more of an offroad setup as being a bad thing.  I did 2000 miles of the trans America trail all by myself 2 years ago.  It was probably the most enjoyable experience in my life and something I will never forget.
View Quote

I appreciate your input. If I came across as adversarial, that's just me eliciting points and counterpoints. I hope you don't think I'm trying to dismiss what your saying. I'll be reading it over a few times. Argument for the sake of thoroughness and all that. And a KLR 650 is an awesome machine in my opinion. But I will be a one bike guy for a while and it doesn't tick enough boxes. Similarly, there is a reason I'm not really interested in pure sport bikes or faster bikes than what I've named. I unreservedly undertstand that 100mph on a highway is just boring. I'm more interested in twists and turns, so lightness takes precedence. No particular interest in something like an RC51. And hitting a corner just right is a big thrill to me. It's something that can always be done better.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I agree 100%. Just not viable at this point.
View Quote

baby steps man, baby steps, one bike, then another.  The hard decision is which one first.  Someone above noted that the hyperbikes got boring because you can not really wring them out all the time.  I agree whole heartedly with that.  I have had lil bikes like a yamaha RX50, a CB175, a KE250, a RD360, a 700 LTD, a honda VF750F, a pair of 883 sportys, and a 1200 sporty.  The one I miss the most is that RX50, there is nothing funner than twisting a lil 2 strokes tail till it screams in pain and beating the shit out of it.  Buy what looks like the most fun for the moment, and set the next goal.  I intend to upgrade my current 883 to 1200 as my daily rider, the old 883 is probably going to end up 90 cubes or bigger for a FU surprise.  Next will either be a KLR or a 650 sport bike, I am not ready for a liter bike, and may never be.  I lack the sense to own anything thats capable of 200 MPH.
ETA, The new baby Kaw sport bikes I think they are 300's look like a fuckton of fun.
ETA 2.0 and the lil fuckers will stick right with my 883 0-60 and  the 1/4 mile...top out about 10 faster........FML, LOL
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:24:14 AM EDT
[#16]
If you can only have one bike, get the Twin I guess. I like the FJ because I think its a good value, but it doesn't really do anything better than the Twin, except maybe a little more pep. While the Twin will give you more ground clearance and more off-road suited tires.

It doesn't sound like you're going to be doing anything a sportbike couldn't do. Which is good, because a lot of street guys getting into trail riding have more trouble than they expected with a 250lb dirt bike. I wouldn't want to be learning any kind of technical riding skills on those fat pig ADV bikes.

The actual best do-it-all bike is something like a wr450/500exc with supermoto and trail set-ups. they just are not suited for putting lots of miles on. a little bit more street oriented than that would be the 690 enduro which I qould take over a Africa Twin.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:32:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you can only have one bike, get the Twin I guess. I like the FJ because I think its a good value, but it doesn't really do anything better than the Twin, except maybe a little more pep. While the Twin will give you more ground clearance and more off-road suited tires.

It doesn't sound like you're going to be doing anything a sportbike couldn't do. Which is good, because a lot of street guys getting into trail riding have more trouble than they expected with a 250lb dirt bike. I wouldn't want to be learning any kind of technical riding skills on those fat pig ADV bikes.

The actual best do-it-all bike is something like a wr450/500exc with supermoto and trail set-ups. they just are not suited for putting lots of miles on. a little bit more street oriented than that would be the 690 enduro which I qould take over a Africa Twin.
View Quote

I saw one of the KTMs the other day, the guy seemed very humored watching me wobble all over the place trying to get a third and fourth glance at his parked bike....I should have just stopped
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:38:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've certainly been down roads I wouldn't want to take a sport bike or sport tourer down. So I know for sure the ADVness of it wouldn't completely go to waste.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:45:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been researching ADV bikes for quite a while and decided my next bike is going to be the Triumph Tiger 800. It's better for on road use but is capable of doing some off-roading. Too heavy for serious off roading though. My current bike is considered a sport touring bike, although i'm not sure if i'd take it on long distance trips yet. That's kind of why im leaning towards the triumph, which is also capable of hitting the back roads with ease.

Aprilia Shiver

Triumph Tiger

First attempt at posting pictures, i failed...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:49:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've been researching ADV bikes for quite a while and decided my next bike is going to be the Triumph Tiger 800. It's better for on road use but is capable of doing some off-roading. Too heavy for serious off roading though. My current bike is considered a sport touring bike, although i'm not sure if i'd take it on long distance trips yet. That's kind of why im leaning towards the triumph, which is also capable of hitting the back roads with ease.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x76/DDSilverado/15002413_10211176445704780_2844745945326345737_o.jpg
Aprilia Shiver

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x76/DDSilverado/triumph-expands-tiger-800-line-up-with-xrt-and-xca-models_2.jpg
Triumph Tiger

View Quote

DAMNIT now your going to cost me money, those aprilias  look sweet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:50:29 AM EDT
[#21]
A while back I thought I wanted to do some off road riding as well.  Bought a KLX650.  Was a great bike and worked well in the dirt.  It was pleasant up to about 60-65 mph on the road.  I found that there just weren't that many good places to ride nearby.  And it wasn't fun driving a long ways on the road to a good dirt area.  So I sold it.  Sad but the adventure fantasy just didn't live up to my expectations.   And my street bikes are fine for driving down dirt roads.

Maybe it would be different if there were better trails nearby.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:51:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

DAMNIT now your going to cost me money, those aprilias  look sweet.
View Quote

Don't they?

But while I think it was a slight mistake to go so logical with the vstrom, I'm not sure I'm ready to go so far the other direction to end up with something Italian.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:53:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x76/DDSilverado/15002413_10211176445704780_2844745945326345737_o.jpg
Aprilia Shiver

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x76/DDSilverado/triumph-expands-tiger-800-line-up-with-xrt-and-xca-models_2.jpg
Triumph Tiger

View Quote
I think we can't post pics because we're new. Just curious, why did you pick the tiger over the multistrada, bmw, 1190, etc?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:02:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Yamaha FJR

You'll thank me.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:02:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I didn't want a big adventure bike. 800 seemed like the perfect size and i hear nothing but great things from the triple engines. The only 1200 size adv i was interested in was the KTM. As far as BMW vs Triumph 800's. BMW better for serious offroading, i believe its lighter. Triumph for everything else. Although if i were doing actual offroading or trails i'd get an KTM 690

BTW, get a winter deal to save money. That Aprilia cost me only $7k (before taxes) it had 0 miles (still in crate when i purchased it)
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:05:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think we can't post pics because we're new. Just curious, why did you pick the tiger over the multistrada, bmw, 1190, etc?
View Quote

Pictures from new posters have an approval system where established users click whether or not they are appropriate to the topic. They showed up fine for me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:08:14 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

That would take some convincing. It's big and expensive. Tell me why I would want that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:12:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That would take some convincing. It's big and expensive. Tell me why I would want that.
View Quote

It's big but light and nimble when riding.

Power is out of this world

Extremely comfortable riding position (I've done 1000 mile iron butt rides on mine)

Mild mannered when you want to be but crack the throttle with authority and it's a pure sexy beast.

I absolutely love mine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:52:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's big but light and nimble when riding.

Power is out of this world

Extremely comfortable riding position (I've done 1000 mile iron butt rides on mine)

Mild mannered when you want to be but crack the throttle with authority and it's a pure sexy beast.

I absolutely love mine.
View Quote

If I wanted to do a lot of two up riding maybe, but low weight can help with the power on a smaller engine bike. I also will use the motorcycle for commuting. I'm not under the impression that a bike can save you money, but that thing only gets me 4 more mpg than my car. I could see where it would be a fantastic machine, I'd love to ride one, but I'm not there yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#30]
The ADV bikes are more comfortable for long days, not just off road capability.

How long do you see yourself riding at a time?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#31]
S1000xr

Brother just bought one. Impressive bike. My 600rr has issues keeping up with it in a straight line.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Right now, I have a Burgman 400 that I love. It has brought the joy back into motorcycling for me after being on big boring cruisers.

However, I do have the itch for a dedicated adventure bike and will be picking one up this year. I'm looking now also. I'm actually thinking about the Vstrom 650. It looks very simple to maintain. It also won't cost as much to set it up as a KLR.

I've tried my whole life to find one bike that fits everything with my varied interests. I just can't pick one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I had that same question three years ago. I was an old motocrosser transitioning to serious
street time.

The FZ09 had caught my eye as I had always thought nakeds were the middle between a big dirt bike
and a crotch rocket for street comfort and thrills. I thought about a supermoto and stumbled on to the Ducati Hypermotard as a lust
object. Then in March 2014 the KTM Super Duke 1290 graced our shores. I test road one and a new lust
was raised, but $$$ for the Austrian mark. The FJ09 came along, budget with more over the road comfort than the nakeds and
big motards.

The ADVs and big enduros were also on the list. The Africa Twin came along and it was a consideration too.
So many good bikes out there. For me what finally determined my choice was getting to my riding destination
fast with limited fatigue. My riding mates are 260 miles distant.

KTM turned their 1290 naked into a sport tourer last year, and I just said fuck it all for now,
and cracked open the piggy bank.

I already had a WR450F for the dirt fix , therefore, I  had a bit of latitude when selecting a pure roadbike
vs a hybrid type
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#34]
The Africa Twin looks the business.
Would be comfortable for long pulls on road, too much of a fat ass for much more than dirt roads off road. Which seems to be the standard statement for all ADV bikes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#35]
If you will use it as intended, I don't see a viable alternative to the Africa Twin on the market.

If you think you might use an A/T as intended, any of the Sport Touring/ADV-wannabes (V-Strom, VFR-X, S-10, R-GS, etc.) with 19"/17" wheels and proper tires can get you a long way down something that looks like it might have recently been a road.  Same goes for the same set of bikes with highway tires and long road trips. 

I sold my V-Strom 2 years ago and went to more of a street bike (17"/17" wheels).  A poor decision I'm currently working to rectify. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Arfcom has a hard on for ADV but I'd get the sport tourer (because road is right outside my window).  Like that BMW.  

A sporty bike with fairings cuts through the wind like a blade and handles so surgically precise.  It's heavenly.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#37]
ADV bike for sure. both of the ones you posted would be great. Also consider the Triumph Tiger 800, The V-strom 1000, BMW 800 or my current favorite...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#38]
I used to ride a GSXR750, even doing some single day sport touring on it. It was my main vehicle for zipping down the highway from Baltimore to the DC suburbs every day to see my girlfriend/fiancée. That was 17 years ago when I would have said to get a sport tourer 7 days a week and again on Sunday.

A friend tossed me the keys to test ride one of his brand new BMW adventure bikes. IIRC it was an F700GS, and my arthritic self loved the comfortable riding position.  It was much more capable on the street than I expected.  The 1200 GSAs feel too huge for me. If I had the cash and time to ride, an F800GS would probably be my choice for solo highway and gravel roads.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#39]
FJ09 sucks unless you get real adjustable front forks and replace the seat.  

This is what I just picked up.  You can get the Enduro version.  Mine is the touring.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Adventure riders in their packs of silver BMWs and orange KTMs with matchy-matchy Klim gear are giant dorks.

I say this as someone with an airhead GS that has ~130k miles on it.  Dorks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#41]
My buddy just picked up an S10 Anniversary the other day. Haven't seen it yet in person, but it looks like a nice ride.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The 1200 GSAs feel too huge for me.
View Quote

I agree for about the first five minutes. These things ride like a bike half their size. They are surprisingly nimble and handle like a dream. The weight is carried low and they handle way better off road than they should. Not saying they are a 350lb dirt bike because they are still big bikes but the moment your feet hit the pegs much of that size disappears.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#43]
I find that bikes that try to do both things really don't excel at either. My sport bikes are used for daily commuting to work. I don't need to do triple digits to plaster a smile on my face. I love dancing through the twisties with the zx-14. And if I want to take a long road trip, I just throw the tank bag and saddle bags on and take off for a week.

I see a lot of adv bikes around here that never leave the pavement. Get what trips your trigger but look what you're going to use it for. I have a garage full of gear for adventures I never got around to taking.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Aprilia Shiver

Triumph Tiger

View Quote

I have not rode any of the other bikes mentioned in the thread but I have taken my Tiger on a 6000 mile road trip.  It's awesome on the road, comfortable(well as comfortable as long days on a bike can be), has a roughly 5 gallon tank, and great mid range power which honestly is the most fun if you are not topping the bikes out all the time.  

It can go off road.  But after having to pick it up a few times with all my bags and gear on it it's a real chore.  A big plus for short riders is the new XCR low they make.  Has a really low seat height(for the so called ADV type bikes) and  does not really hurt the ground clearance at all.

The only real draw back to the bike besides it's weight is it's price.  It's a really tough bike as well.  Not many down sides to it once you own it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Adventure riders in their packs of silver BMWs and orange KTMs with matchy-matchy Klim gear are giant dorks.

I say this as someone with an airhead GS that has ~130k miles on it.  Dorks.
View Quote

Oh, I can handle being a dork. Been one before.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Have you looked at the Honda VFR?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The ADV bikes are more comfortable for long days, not just off road capability.

How long do you see yourself riding at a time?
View Quote

My personal longest day is 11 hrs. So long distance capable is an absolute must. A major downside of the Vstrom is that it started getting a bit uncomfortable above 70mph for long periods. Which I am imagining a Africa Twin would rectify.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Africa twin.  All around winner.

Hell I take my xx down dirt and gravel roads all the time, added a fender extender and that was that.  Just can't turn sharp very quick
View Quote

Out of those 3 I would take the FJ-09

It has the best engine out of the three.

The AT is a nice ride, but that litre engine is not what one would expect, its a bit anemic for its size.
It is light, and comfy. However, it is the first year year bike. You never buy the first year bike, wait until 2 or 3 years....let others work the bugs out.

The F800 is also pretty weak for what it is and how much it cost. I would get a Tiger 800 before that, and save myself a bunch of money.

All 3 will go down gravel roads just fine. And I am going to say, thats about what 90% of people with the big ass bikes do. I doubt you will take it on single or double track.    

Now, why I would take the FJ....

Engine is insane, it IS what a tame litre engine should be. Basically, a detuned R1.
Ergos are spot on, It will go down gravel roads just fine. I used to take my FZ1 all over the dirt/gravel roads of Tx

All 3 of your choices will handle both dirt roads and rail in the twisties.

All 3 have a good aftermarket support.

I would not hesitate ( except for the Beemer) to take any of them on a cross country trip. I would preffer the FJ, then AT, then....my Tiger 1050....fuck that Beemer

So, bang for buck......FJ, then AT, and fuck that Beemer

JMHO.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My personal longest day is 11 hrs. So long distance capable is an absolute must. A major downside of the Vstrom is that it started getting a bit uncomfortable above 70mph for long periods. Which I am imagining a Africa Twin would rectify.
View Quote

I am sure it would. However, It sounds like you need to change your search to an adv bike or a straight up tourer if you envision lots of full days in the saddle. Of course I am sure there are some amazingly comfortable sport tour bikes out there.

I think one thing that can get discounted on bikes is how they make you feel. I know that 90% of ADV riders will never go on some big adventure but who cares. If they feel like they are ready to take one and looking at the bike and riding it makes them feel good then that's all that matters. I think making mental preparations for trips is a bit fun and maybe one day one of those trips will come true for the rider. In America, motorcycles are for fun and having the right bike for your personality can be inspiring. Hell, over the last year I built a bike up just to ride the Trans America Trail. It may be a couple of years before I can even do so...but I will. When I look at that bike and when I ride it I often think about what I will need to take and prepare for.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm a little bias in favor of Ducati....

My vote is Multistrada. I have been thinking about picking one up myself.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top