Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2017 12:48:51 AM EDT
No kids here...It was way heavier than I thought it was going to be. Still thinking about it.

It asked some serious questions about love and heartbreak, and how those experiences balance out on the scale as worthwhile in the end.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:50:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Think we are going to watch that tonight.

I was actually thinking of starting a thread to ask if its worth the watch.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:54:01 AM EDT
[#2]
In 7 minutes I'm either watching Arrival or The Accountant Not sure what I'm in the mood for.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:54:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Same guy that made Sicario...makes sense; the guy flat gets how to create atmosphere.

Same composer as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#4]
It was watchable, less predictable than others.
I'm on a movie kick
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:55:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I enjoyed it. I sort of felt like the plot was better than the movie, like it would have been better as a book.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In 7 minutes I'm either watching Arrival or The Accountant Not sure what I'm in the mood for.
View Quote
The Accountant was cool 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:04:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I was blown away. Very emotional movie. I don't have kids either, but that shit made me sad as fuck. I couldn't cry because I was with my wife and a buddy, but dammit if I didn't get the biggest lump in my throat.

Been a while since a movie affected me like that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:11:36 AM EDT
[#8]
We did a thread on it a few days ago. I liked it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Amy Adams does not get naked or have sex with squid aliens.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:17:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was boring.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#11]
She was selfish to the point of evil. Gifted incredible power and still destroyed multiple lives.

Great movie, worth the watch.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:18:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Both good movies...won't go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:19:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't like it. Predictable.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:24:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was blown away. Very emotional movie. I don't have kids either, but that shit made me sad as fuck. I couldn't cry because I was with my wife and a buddy, but dammit if I didn't get the biggest lump in my throat.

Been a while since a movie affected me like that.
View Quote

Not ashamed to admit I found myself crying on the way back home from seeing it.  suspension of disbelief and all.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:25:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

She was selfish to the point of evil. Gifted incredible power and still destroyed multiple lives.

View Quote

I didn't get that. Maybe it was the aliens that warped her anyway.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

How so?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:34:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Amy Adams does not get naked or have sex with squid aliens.
View Quote

That actually happened in the Japanese original version of the film.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:35:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How so?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

Knowing your future child will die, and it looked like painfully, using Ian as a sperm donor/companion without acknowledging she has the power she does, KNOWING how he will react? The part where the daughter says he daddy looks at her differently?

Straight up selfish crossing the line to evil.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:38:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Knowing your future child will die, and it looked like painfully, using Ian as a sperm donor/companion without acknowledging she has the power she does, KNOWING how he will react? The part where the daughter says he daddy looks at her differently?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

Thats, like, your opinion Man
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:44:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I liked it because it wasn't the typical syfy movie.  There was no story from a long time ago in a galaxy far away, no phasers, no green chicks and every alien looking like a human.  

It looked like what a true alien arrival might look like.  The aliens were not what I expected, but that's good.  I'm so used to thinking that aliens should look like humans, that I was caught off guard when I saw them.  The idea of the language and the issues they were having and how they spoke was great.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

oops...looks like about every few days.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:14:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I liked it because it wasn't the typical syfy movie.  There was no story from a long time ago in a galaxy far away, no phasers, no green chicks and every alien looking like a human.  

It looked like what a true alien arrival might look like.  The aliens were not what I expected, but that's good.  I'm so used to thinking that aliens should look like humans, that I was caught off guard when I saw them.  The idea of the language and the issues they were having and how they spoke was great.
View Quote

Hardly surprising since science fiction basically tries to expand the definition of "the other", making the alien more human. What I liked in this movie was the reversal of that scheme and the human becoming more alien.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:23:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Derp
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

But since she knew everything including the potential war/Chinese attack, she had to take that path or there would have been more lives lost. I think she was locked into her destiny and was resigned to it, which unfortunately did not include her being naked.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Great movie took me awhile to catch on to her timeline.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#26]
NPR Science Friday had a segment about how they created the "language" for the film and consulted linguists on how one would actually learn to speak to aliens, etc.  Sounded really cool.  But a lot of wasted effort IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Watched Accountant last night . Enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Wife and I watched it last night and really enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you sure we did?

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#30]
I went in with high hopes but was greatly disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#31]

That thread and this thread are always happening and not happening
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#32]
A wasted $5.99 and two hours. You know it was bad when I paid for a two-day rental and only watched it once....and I'm a huge Amy Adams fan.

I swear I'd just as soon watch several back to back showings of Inception with a cactus shoved up my ass than another showing of Arrival.

And really.....Don't you think they could have come up with something a bit more original than a stylized version of Kang and Kodos for the "visitors"?

I mean WTF?

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I was talking to my mom last night and recommended she see this film.  

She just sent me a message that she's now watching it for the second time ... and also purchased the short story the film was based on.  I think mom liked the movie.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Best movie of the year. I cried at the end. It's a really good movie.

But sadly, I don't think it has much re-watchability. As the whole movie hinges on that twist at the end. Once you know how that ends, it seems like it wouldn't be interesting to watch again,
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Best movie of the year. I cried at the end. It's a really good movie.

But sadly, I don't think it has much re-watchability. As the whole movie hinges on that twist at the end. Once you know how that ends, it seems like it wouldn't be interesting to watch again,
View Quote
I watched it twice, back to back.  Thoroughly enjoyed it, even the second time.

But then again, it was either that or 2-D transient thermal conduction problems.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Still pissed Charlie Sheen didn't win an Oscar for his performance
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#37]
It was pretty good. I wouldn't have made the same choice she did. But then again all my kids are dead and I'd rather just forget they ever existed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

I agree completely.  She was a selfish bitch.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

But since she knew everything including the potential war/Chinese attack, she had to take that path or there would have been more lives lost. I think she was locked into her destiny and was resigned to it, which unfortunately did not include her being naked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

No, once she'd used that knowledge in the past, she was in no way locked into that future.  The minute Hawkeye said "Let's make a baby," her response should have been "there's something you need to know first."
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Still pissed Charlie Sheen didn't win an Oscar for his performance
View Quote

This
Txl
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No, once she'd used that knowledge in the past, she was in no way locked into that future.  The minute Hawkeye said "Let's make a baby," her response should have been "there's something you need to know first."
View Quote

Everyone had to happen, exactly as it did. Or else, she doesn't get the Generals key information about his wife and his phone number. She got that information from the future, she didn't create it on her own. She could not change anything.

It would be no different then if God or another Deity said they a person would save a race of aliens by using information from the future. That right there is STILL pre-determination. Even if you give someone the ability to see the future. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Everyone had to happen, exactly as it did. Or else, she doesn't get the Generals key information about his wife and his phone number. She got that information from the future, she didn't create it on her own. She could not change anything.

It would be no different then if God or another Deity said they a person would save a race of aliens by using information from the future. That right there is STILL pre-determination. Even if you give someone the ability to see the future. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, once she used that information, she did NOT need to go ahead and do it.  She'd used it, the past had happened.  Changing the future wouldn't retroactively change the past.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Viewers are already theorizing about the film’s plot, and whether it means that humans who learn the heptapod language can alter their own futures. Whether Louise can change anything is besides the point. In Arrival’s deterministic universe, free will exists in the form of following through on a choice you already know you’ll make. In effect, by choosing not to alter the future, you’re creating it, and actively affirming it.

“The heptapods are neither free nor bound as we understand those concepts; they don’t act according to their will, nor are they helpless automatons,” Louise says in Chiang’s story. “What distinguishes the heptapods’ mode of awareness is not just that their actions coincide with history’s events; it is also that their motives coincide with history’s purposes. They act to create the future, to enact chronology.”

“THEY ACT TO CREATE THE FUTURE, TO ENACT CHRONOLOGY.”
Underneath the technical complexity of the explanation is a profound truth Chiang is communicating — and one Arrival similarly hammers home. “What if the experience of knowing the future changed a person?” Louise ponders. “What if it evoked a sense of urgency, a sense of obligation to act precisely as she knew she would?” And it is precisely because Louise understands what it will be like to lose her daughter that she chooses to bring her into the world nonetheless.

Readers aren’t necessarily supposed to agree with Louise’s choice. (Some of our own writers don’t.) But Arrival isn’t about time travel. It’s also not a commentary on gene-modification, abortion, or any other hot-button topic about using our foresight into the future to force our present path to diverge. It’s about acceptance, understanding our life’s choices, and living as if any one moment were as valuable or meaningful as the next.
View Quote

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/16/13642396/arrival-ted-chiang-story-of-your-life-film-twist-ending

Regardless if you didn't like her decision. It doesn't take away from the fact that it's a great movie. Stop whinning. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#45]
You realize the movie was based on a short story? Lol I enjoyed both and having read the story helps fill in the blanks on what some of the movie glosses over.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No, once she used that information, she did NOT need to go ahead and do it.  She'd used it, the past had happened.  Changing the future wouldn't retroactively change the past.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's actually kinda the point of the whole thing with the aliens
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:15:31 AM EDT
[#47]
People die all the time and you can't always keep bad things from happening to your children.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:31:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
People die all the time and you can't always keep bad things from happening to your children.
View Quote

That's not the point.  Her decision to not tell her husband about it is.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I must be missing something.   I pseudo-watched the  movie, but didn't analyze it for all the references in what she gained and what she knew when.

What did she do that was so evil and selfish?   How did she know her kid would die?   I must be forgetting some huge chunks.
View Quote

It's not much different then deciding to not abort your baby if it has downs or something. 

She loved her daughter so much,  she was willing to go through all that pain in the future.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top