Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2017 12:17:20 AM EDT
I picked up a 2002 Dodge Durango for the amazing low price of $200. A friend of mine has had the thing sitting in his driveway for the last couple of years not running. He said it had a rod knocking. Being a mechanic I tend to want to fix things before replacement. I said how much do you want and he replied "for you, $200". Deal. Trailered the thing to my house, put a battery in it, and it fired right up. Definite ticking noise but not a rod knocking. Most likely culprit with that engine is a borked valve lash adjuster. With any luck I'll have it driving for about $100. Not a tier 1 vehicle but not bad for the price.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice. You should flip it and split the profits with your friend.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:25:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's kinda amazing that a gen 1 Durango is actually worth less than my F250. I always kinda figured that the F250 was the least desirable modern V8 powered vehicle ever. If things go well I'll try and sell the Ford. Anymore, I need a heavy duty pickup like I need a hole in my head.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I picked up a 2002 Dodge Durango for the amazing low price of $200. A friend of mine has had the thing sitting in his driveway for the last couple of years not running. He said it had a rod knocking. Being a mechanic I tend to want to fix things before replacement. I said how much do you want and he replied "for you, $200". Deal. Trailered the thing to my house, put a battery in it, and it fired right up. Definite ticking noise but not a rod knocking. Most likely culprit with that engine is a borked valve lash adjuster. With any luck I'll have it driving for about $100. Not a tier 1 vehicle but not bad for the price.
View Quote

4.7?  The early 3.7 and 4.7 had some sort of lifter problems, sounds like you figured that out already.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:31:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup, 4.7. It would be a real kick in the ass if it was a hemi though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:09:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought one new 2002  had to send it back five times it would take off when you touch the gas.

told to flatbed driver to keep his foot on the brake.  he didn't it ran all the way up and onto his roof.

that time they believe be  and is finally fixed i int.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:27:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's kinda amazing that a gen 1 Durango is actually worth less than my F250. I always kinda figured that the F250 was the least desirable modern V8 powered vehicle ever. If things go well I'll try and sell the Ford. Anymore, I need a heavy duty pickup like I need a hole in my head.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is a Durango an improvement over a F250?

Those Durangos are cheap for a reason...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:56:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Those motors have a problem with the oil pickup screen clogging.  Make sure it's clean and sludge-free.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:36:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yup, 4.7. It would be a real kick in the ass if it was a hemi though.
View Quote

They didn't get Hemi's until the second generation.  The 360 in mine is pretty good
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:32:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How is a Durango an improvement over a F250?

Those Durangos are cheap for a reason...
View Quote

It's physically smaller so its easier to park. That's about the best thing it has going for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top