BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:22:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk II already exists.
View Quote

I think I've seen two of those. Maybe 3.

And then there's the cartridge...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:26:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tremendous rifle. Unfortunately the .303 is not an ideal rifle cartridge. Loose chambers are hard on brass. Stubby 7.7mm is vastly inferior to the other worldly capabilities of the .264!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:30:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Tremendous rifle. Unfortunately the .303 is not an ideal rifle cartridge. Loose chambers are hard on brass. Stubby 7.7mm is vastly inferior to the other worldly capabilities of the .264!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get the 7.62mm conversion parts if you can find them, or a converted rifle, and rebarrel to 6.5 Mauser or maybe 6.5 Creedmoor.  Even better in a No. 5 style configuration.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
While not a Mauser 98 action take a look at a Howa 1500 barreled action which I think they do make in 6.5x55

Buy action, buy stock, have gunsmith install sights, buy extended magazine
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:34:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Get the 7.62mm conversion parts if you can find them, or a converted rifle, and rebarrel to 6.5 Mauser or maybe 6.5 Creedmoor.  Even better in a No. 5 style configuration.
View Quote
Only hole I can poke in that concept is that it retains the terrible trigger and doesn't have the controlled feed. Otherwise, you get 40 internet points.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:35:22 AM EDT
[#6]
LOL what do you even need controlled feed for, gonna Capstick it up and fight lions upside down running the bolt LOL. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:38:16 AM EDT
[#7]
How about the Blaser action? Video  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:41:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
LOL what do you even need controlled feed for, gonna Capstick it up and fight lions upside down running the bolt LOL. 
View Quote
I like watching it work. It may not be needed in all situations, but it is objectively a more reliable system in other situations.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:48:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
While not a Mauser 98 action take a look at a Howa 1500 barreled action which I think they do make in 6.5x55

Buy action, buy stock, have gunsmith install sights, buy extended magazine
View Quote

I bought one of the Howa 1500s in 6.5x55 as a complete rifle. I like it.

It's not something I'd do to that specific gun, but I wonder what it would cost to have a gunsmith install a good peep sight system on a rifle with no irons.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:48:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only hole I can poke in that concept is that it retains the terrible trigger and doesn't have the controlled feed. Otherwise, you get 40 internet points.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've long suspected I've been ghost banned.  From page 1;

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1967535_Proposal-for-the-ideal-bolt-action-rifle-.html&page=1#i64739734

Enfields in .303 are control round fed but I don't know about the .308/7.62 conversions.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:31:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1967535_Proposal-for-the-ideal-bolt-action-rifle-.html&page=1#i64739734

Enfields in .303 are control round fed but I don't know about the .308/7.62 conversions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no functional difference. The extractor hook is just sized appropriately for the 7.62X51 case, although some conversions retained the original extractor, which works well enough on some rifles and is spotty on others; but most have the new extractor from what I can tell.

The triggers can be fixed, too, although they aren't all bad to start with. My No. 5 has a trigger that is light and breaks like a glass rod. Once in a while the 2nd stage might have the slightest amount of creep. Similar to my Mauser in that regard. Might have that happen a couple of times in a decent shooting session.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a No4Mkl and a Jungle Carbine and both triggers are decent enough that I've used both in our vintage military matches without feeling like they handicap me.  

I've wondered how well the ejector system would work with a rimless round.  If I come across a decent but cheap and sporterized No4 I'll probably get it and chop it down like I said in my first post.  I'm certain that would make a Jim dandy little carbine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:59:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've got a No4Mkl and a Jungle Carbine and both triggers are decent enough that I've used both in our vintage military matches without feeling like they handicap me.  

I've wondered how well the ejector system would work with a rimless round.  If I come across a decent but cheap and sporterized No4 I'll probably get it and chop it down like I said in my first post.  I'm certain that would make a Jim dandy little carbine.
View Quote

The conversions use new ejectors. One type uses a new one attached to the receiver like the .303 one while the other has an ejector built into the left magazine lip. One was from Enfield the other from Sterling, but I forget which is which. And I believe that the Ishapores made as 7.62mm rifles had a 7.62 specific ejector.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:01:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I've posted it before, but the Mausingfield action looks awesome.

Mauser extractor
Springfield ejector
Rem 700 footprint, accessories
Savage barrel system (User preference)
Integral lug
Side bolt release
I'm sure there's more

I think it would be neat if it could work with stripper clips and m1\m14 sights.  Would require design changes .
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:08:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've posted it before, but the Mausingfield action looks awesome.

Mauser extractor
Springfield ejector
Rem 700 footprint, accessories
Savage barrel system (User preference)
Integral lug
Side bolt release
I'm sure there's more

I think it would be neat if it could work with stripper clips and m1\m14 sights.  Would require design changes .
View Quote

Is that an actual thing, or an idea?

I'd like to see a Springfield action that has the extractor cutout in the receiver rather than on the breech of the barrel to make it eaiser to have a barrel swapping setup, has a one-piece firing pin (I'd keep the cocking knob and maybe go titanium like I've seen on some custom stuff), G33/40 style lightening cuts, and maybe a charger guide setup to use NATO chargers instead of Springfield/Mauser ones, with perhaps a short-action version being made. I'd keep the beveled extractor and magazine cutoff. Some Oberndorf style aluminum alloy bottom metal would be sweet, too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:00:03 AM EDT
[#16]
It's for real.

Shown with optional Pic rail installed. From their website.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to wrench on bolt-action rifles, and of all the designs I've seen, the Mausingfield is the best.

Remington 700 is a crude, cheap POS design with almost nothing redeeming about it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's for real.

Shown with optional Pic rail installed. From their website.
https://www.americanrifle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/bolt-open-01.jpg
View Quote

Holy crap ! .....$1600.00 action.
But, it does look good,if you have the coin.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

considering people will pay $1300 for a warmed-over Remington 700 action, $1600 for an action that blows the Rem700 out of the water is a smoking deal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i too want a bolt action with actual irons. and mag fed.

why is this so hard?

Ruger scout...So close.....yet so heavy
View Quote

Tikka Ranger rifle
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ideal for?

Buy a SAKO or Tikka if you don't want three bolt lugs.
View Quote

Have you had a look at the Ultimatum actions?

R700 footprint, integrated recoil lug, accepts Remington style triggers, 3 lug interchangeable bolt heads, and uses a standard savage style barrel. It looks like they made great use of parts and support in the exsisting market.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sauer makes a nice rifle.

A Sako TRG-22 action would be a great starting point too, they are very very fast.
View Quote

I have a TRG-S and one day I dropped the bolt onto my carpeted floor.  The rear half of the bolt somehow rotated and the bolt could not be placed back into the rifle.  Taking the bolt apart is a major production.  

And after the bolt was taken apart, I was dismayed to see the weak, cheap-looking firing pin and other parts.

On the other hand, my Husqvarna 640 in .30-06 is the perfect all round rifle. The bolt can easily be disassembled and all the parts are solid gutsy steel.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Why are you worried about a loose chamber?  Your perfect rifle is a custom built gun.

Buy a Tikka.  You don't even need to get anyone to work on the rifle to make it fit your spec perfectly.

http://cdn1.tikka.fi/sites/default/files/Tikka_T3x_Arctic.png

Learn to shoot the rifle, then have it rebarreled to a 6.5mm cartridge.

or this one, since you need a 6.5mm cartridge -

http://cdn1.tikka.fi/sites/default/files/t3x_compact_tactical_rifle.png
View Quote
Is the Arctic available in the US?  I've tried to get my Sako/Tikka dealer to get me a T3x Sporter and he says he can't.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is the Arctic available in the US?  I've tried to get my Sako/Tikka dealer to get me a T3x Sporter and he says he can't.
View Quote

berretta imports Tikka's like morons, I hate those Italian pricks on that reason alone
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#29]
You're welcome 

Mausingfield-bolt-action
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

considering people will pay $1300 for a warmed-over Remington 700 action, $1600 for an action that blows the Rem700 out of the water is a smoking deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using another questionably priced item as a reference doesn't make that Mausingfield thing a good deal.

It's a fantastic idea, but $1,600? Nope.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Using another questionably priced item as a reference doesn't make that Mausingfield thing a good deal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much should it cost?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Why are you worried about a loose chamber?  Your perfect rifle is a custom built gun.

Buy a Tikka.  You don't even need to get anyone to work on the rifle to make it fit your spec perfectly.

http://cdn1.tikka.fi/sites/default/files/Tikka_T3x_Arctic.png

Learn to shoot the rifle, then have it rebarreled to a 6.5mm cartridge.

or this one, since you need a 6.5mm cartridge -

http://cdn1.tikka.fi/sites/default/files/t3x_compact_tactical_rifle.png
View Quote
Fair point. I do love the Enfield action. My father and I have 6 between us.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How much should it cost?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much should it cost?

Considering the CZ-550 and FN Winchester M70 complete rifles come in around $800 or so, and those are pretty nice Mauser-based rifles, it should be possible for a company to make an action like that for ~$500.

That number would of course rely on economy of scale rather than building it as some boutique item they plan to sell 14 of a year.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I like watching it work. It may not be needed in all situations, but it is objectively a more reliable system in other situations.
View Quote

That's why the AR-15 has a controlled feed action?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Considering the CZ-550 and FN Winchester M70 complete rifles come in around $800 or so, and those are pretty nice Mauser-based rifles, it should be possible for a company to make an action like that for ~$500.

That number would of course rely on economy of scale rather than building it as some boutique item they plan to sell 14 of a year.
View Quote

Do you think PSA ARs and Larue OBRs are comparable products?  They're both ARs right?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much should it cost?

That has been tried. You wind up with a Model 70.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Doesn't Ruger make something like this for the Canadian rangers?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might not be aware that there is an entire industry sector devoted to bolt-action rifles that cost around $3500 and up.  You might not want one, but guys who compete in bolt-action rifle competition and/or want to live out their inner tactical fantasies do.  They use actions by Surgeon, Defiance, and other high-end manufacturers that regularly cost more than a complete factory Remington 700 rifle.  They do this because they want the better materials, craftsmanship, machining, and design than the factory Rem 700 offers.  $1300 for a receiver is par for the course for those rifles, and $1600 for an action that has the claw extractor for controlled-round feed plus an inertial ejector AND can use Remington 700 aftermarket parts (triggers, bottom metal, stocks, etc.) is not an extraordinary expense for them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

manual bolt-action rifle and gas-operated semi-auto rifle feeding are not alike.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Mauser with a bent bolt handle is extremely fast. The Lee enfield is probably a little faster, but the mauser is so smooth, plus the controlled round feed? Can't be beat.
View Quote

By little faster, you mean when German Officers and NCO's first faced the Enfield in WWI, they thought they were semi's....
Decent training can get you double the firepower of a mauser action.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

number 5 is an abortion of a rifle as originally chambered unless you handload. It kicks worse than 3" slugs out of a 5lb single shot 12 gauge, it's stock is made for a midget (seriously, I had to make a stock extension for it) , oh, and it has significantly less muzzle velocity since .303 is loaded for a 25 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Do you think PSA ARs and Larue OBRs are comparable products?  They're both ARs right?
View Quote

They're at opposite ends of the spectrum, so of course there's going to be some level of difference. But, I've never seen a LaRue rifle in person.

At some point, though, you hit a point of diminishing returns. With modern manufacturing techniques, I would think one could make some pretty nice rifle actions in the $500 range.

With this Mausingfield action, I think the design and feature set are really neat, but I'd have no interest in paying for Nighthawk Custom levels of fit and craftsmanship.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
i too want a bolt action with actual irons. and mag fed.

why is this so hard?

Ruger scout...So close.....yet so heavy
View Quote

Heavy? Get the composite stock version, any lighter and it would beat you to death.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd love to see the CZ 527 carbine in 6.5 Grendel. That'd be a hot scout rifle.

Hell, I'd like to see them do the 527 carbine with a double-stack magazine well that accepts AR magazines. The AK fans can lobby for their own action
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Tikka Ranger rifle
View Quote

But I already have a GSR. Fuck my wallet

ETA: They are going to be $2700. Way out of my price range.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

With this Mausingfield action, I think the design and feature set are really neat, but I'd have no interest in paying for Nighthawk Custom levels of fit and craftsmanship.
View Quote

Fair enough.  I hope one day the Mausingfield price drops dramatically.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If you're looking for some case studies to see what happens when a minor-league firearms company dumps ridiculous amounts of money on production of a product with a debatable market for the purposes of decreasing unit price, I can provide references.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're looking for some case studies to see what happens when a minor-league firearms company dumps ridiculous amounts of money on production of a product with a debatable market for the purposes of decreasing unit price, I can provide references.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

manual bolt-action rifle and gas-operated semi-auto rifle feeding are not alike.
View Quote

Would you care to explain how the feeding is "not alike" between a box mag fed bolt gun and a box mag fed AR?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top